Obama 2012

In these Olympics, Canadians only paid attention to Canada.

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

and to be fair the US didn't really talk about the gold medal much either.. they focused in on Joannie Rochette too

I am sure Rochette would give her meda to Kim Yu-Na in a heart beat to get her mother back.

This sentence is so seriously f*cked up.

(Paul and Vanessa @ Mar 3 2010, 12:58 PM) *

South Korean Kim Yu-Na's dazzling gold-medal performance in women's figure skating, for example, was overwhelmed here by the attention given to Quebec's Joannie Rochette, whose mother tragically died.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Agree with Wyatt.

"Lighten up people" "You are taking things WAY too seriously" "overreacting"

You forgot "You people spend way too much time here, you need to get a real life" and "this is the internetz, not real life"

Being truthful is not rude, in general. You also need to get familiar with the concept of being tactful as well. Just because this article is YOUR truth, does not mean it is everyones truth. Are you so naive that you think posting negative articles about Canada in the Canada forum will not generate this response? I don't think so, you got what you came for, it's time to move along.

I recommend that you post your anti-Canadian stuff in OT, I guarantee it will be even more fun for you!

As I said before and posted earlier, it's not just my feelings. I posted an article from Montreal that said the same thing. So it's not an "American" thing either.

You saw more Canadian Maple Leafs than you did Olympic Rings anywhere. That's not a normal thing and does little to show a welcoming to everyone. Canadians might be ok with it, but the view from the outside is a bit unimpressed/disheartened for some.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You know what's over the top? Airbrushed eagles, and stars and stripes all over a FORD TOUGH truck, along with bumper stickers all over the back end about how you're AMERICAN AND DAMN PROUD OF IT. Plus the American flags waving from both CB Antennas - That's a little over the top.

see those all the time in texas. i guess it's one way to try to increase the value of a ford :hehe:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh well, so you felt this way, the person who wrote the article felt this way, some others felt this way but many also felt Canada was a great host country and loved the olympics. You can't please them all. C'est la vie.

see those all the time in texas. i guess it's one way to try to increase the value of a ford :hehe:

Right? :lol:

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

You know the most ludicrous thing about that article after the direct Nazi comparison? The reporter making reference to NBC's coverage after complaining about Canadian coverage. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I've watched Olympic coverage in Canada and I watched it on NBC here in Georgia. When I watched it in Canada it was wonderful because they showed full competitions with all of the athletes participating - at the very least the medal performances - even when there wasn't a Canadian in the event. Here in the States all I had was NBC's greatly edited coverage to fit a few hours only during prime time TV and none of the full events except the hockey game was shown.

NBC showed American after American after American - according to American style TV coverage there is obviously no one else competing! Even in events where Americans didn't place in the medals you saw the American performances and didn't see the medal performances. It really is rather hilarious that he honestly believes that the Olympic games held in Canada were 'too Canadian'!

I think this reporter's problem is he has based his experiences on his familiarity with the NBC type of coverage - hardly a sound platform to make any type of comparison.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Why are you constantly trying to push our buttons when it comes to everything Canadian?

My apologies to all - I'd no idea, hadn't studied Paul's 'prior work' - to have any understanding about Paul's backstory.

Now that I've seen a bit - I apologize for 'helping the feed'.

I am really incensed, though, that this controversy (Gil the Journalist) started with someone working for a TEXAS newspaper.

Like I said, I'm ashamed to be a Texan, if only for a moment, 'cause of this sh|t.

Isn't it ironic, though - that Paul married a Canadien ? oh my.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
Not my fault Toronto Radio freaked out about an article 1,488 miles away....

That journalist was 'boots on the ground', 'buddy' -

The 'article' was on the web.

The journalist was in Vancouver

Newsprint is printed in Ft. Worth, fwiw - now what does 'distance' have to do with this?

I see now how you've deflected my points with silliness - not even deigning to make a counterpoint.

If yer studying for the bar - hey - pay some more for private tutoring?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

I believe the correct reference is to "Pimp Out" your Ford Truck.

f650_.jpg

Now, back :ot2: to hatin' the poor Nazis, 'cause no one will stand up for them! :ranting:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Timeline
Weird. I have always found more flags in the southern states than I ever did when I lived in Washington.

I just don't really see them around here. Comparing Colorado, Arizona, California, NC and SC, and Florida to states like NY and Ohio (only because these are the only states I have really spent a lot of time in) I noticed more flags in NY and Ohio. American flags seem to be everywhere in upstate NY... along with Buffalo Bill's flags, but that's a different issue :P This was especially true in the years following September 11th... NY state was a sea of read white and blue. Totally understandable, just an observation.

My apologies to all - I'd no idea, hadn't studied Paul's 'prior work' - to have any understanding about Paul's backstory.

Now that I've seen a bit - I apologize for 'helping the feed'.

I am really incensed, though, that this controversy (Gil the Journalist) started with someone working for a TEXAS newspaper.

Like I said, I'm ashamed to be a Texan, if only for a moment, 'cause of this sh|t.

Isn't it ironic, though - that Paul married a Canadien ? oh my.

Are you secretly one of the three members of the Dixie Chicks? :whistle: (Just kidding!)

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Sorry to butt in as a non-Canadian here, but to compare the Vancouver Games to the pre-Nazi-Germany games with their heavy political propaganda seems to be way off the mark!

So the Canadians are proud of their country and the great games they hosted? Good for them, what's wrong about that? I enjoyed watching every minute of them!

And note that when Germany hosted the World Cup in 2006 and you saw an increase in public national pride in Germany -- have you ever seen so many German flags?!?!?!-- no one said "Like, OMG, they must be Nazis!"

Ridiculous.

Of COURSE there were Maple Leafs. It was in CANADA.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
You know what's over the top? Airbrushed eagles, and stars and stripes all over a FORD TOUGH truck, along with bumper stickers all over the back end about how you're AMERICAN AND DAMN PROUD OF IT. Plus the American flags waving from one CB Antenna and a "rebel" flag hanging from the other - That's a little over the top.

Fixed that for you. True story. Our school had to ban students from displaying the confederate flag on their vehicles when I was in high school.

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
And note that when Germany hosted the World Cup in 2006 and you saw an increase in public national pride in Germany -- have you ever seen so many German flags?!?!?!-- no one said "Like, OMG, they must be Nazis!"

Ridiculous.

Of COURSE there were Maple Leafs. It was in CANADA.

It's not that there were Maple Leafs.. It's that Maples Leafs overtook the Olympic Rings. THAT was the point. It was the "Canadian Games" not the "Olympic Games."

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You know the most ludicrous thing about that article after the direct Nazi comparison? The reporter making reference to NBC's coverage after complaining about Canadian coverage. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I've watched Olympic coverage in Canada and I watched it on NBC here in Georgia. When I watched it in Canada it was wonderful because they showed full competitions with all of the athletes participating - at the very least the medal performances - even when there wasn't a Canadian in the event. Here in the States all I had was NBC's greatly edited coverage to fit a few hours only during prime time TV and none of the full events except the hockey game was shown.

NBC showed American after American after American - according to American style TV coverage there is obviously no one else competing! Even in events where Americans didn't place in the medals you saw the American performances and didn't see the medal performances. It really is rather hilarious that he honestly believes that the Olympic games held in Canada were 'too Canadian'!

I think this reporter's problem is he has based his experiences on his familiarity with the NBC type of coverage - hardly a sound platform to make any type of comparison.

That is a misnomer. While it is true of the primetime coverage from 7:00 p.m until 11:00 p.m., it certainly is not of the rest of the coverage. I watched most of the events on either MSNBC, CNBC, or the USA network who showed the events in their entirety. If you look at the description of the primetime coverage, it states that it is a recap of the days events. If you wanted to watch the full competition, it was available earlier in the day on a different channel.

Although I thought NBC did a poor job with their boradcasters, I don't really see anything wrong focusing on American athletes. It is a broadcast to the american public after all. I disagree that they didn't show the medal winners in events that americans didn't place in. Maybe I just happened to catch the events that did this, but they did show the american athletes, and the winning performances in a vast majority of the events.

It's not that there were Maple Leafs.. It's that Maples Leafs overtook the Olympic Rings. THAT was the point. It was the "Canadian Games" not the "Olympic Games."

It's like that for every Olympic Games. They ar a showcase for the host city and country. I'd have to say that it was far worse during the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. I was there and everything had a gaudy american flag on it or some pretentious symbol. You virtually couldn't get any olympic merchandise without some american symbol on it. I suppose it will be the same in 2012 with London. Rather than look at this as something that is anti-american, just look at it as a celebration of the good things that Canada gives the rest of the world.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.