roger&meiya

Newbie, a few questions on K-1 application

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

I just found and joined this forum. There are a lot of information here. I've read a lot but still have a few questions I hope some of you here can help me with. Thanks very much in advance.

A little background first. I'm a Chinese-American (naturalized citizen), and my fiancee is Chinese. I met her on the internet just over a year ago. Since then I have been back to China twice to be with her. The first time we spent about 2 weeks together, and the second time a little over a month. And we were engaged on my second trip. Now I'm starting the K-1 visa process.

First question, for my fiancee, on the various forms/letters that she needs to sign, how should she sign them? Since her native writings are Chinese characters, should she just sign like she used to or change the signature to English letters (i.e. use Pinyin for her name)?

Second question, since my fiancee and I mostly communicate in Chinese (I'm bilingual, fluent in both Chinese and English), can I translate those materials that support/prove our relationship myself (such as letters she wrote to me, our chat log, etc)? Would that be allowed or valid? If not, what is required for the translation to be official?

Third question, I have my naturalization certificate, do I still need to send in my birth certificate?

Fourth question, I read here something about one page or four pages for form G-325A. What is that about? I downloaded this form, and G-325A is only 2 pages, 1 for filling and 1 is instruction. So I'm a bit confused...

Last but not least. I heard that for Chinese applying K-1, the interview is done at the Guangzhou consulate only. Is that right? Only one place in entire China?? I hope I can get confirmation on this. My fiancee lives in Chengdu and there's already a US consulate there. It'd be so convenient if she could do it there. Also, is it possible for me to accompany my fiancee to the interview, I mean, go into the consulate with her?

Thank you very much for reading my questions. And I'd really appreciate any advice or help.

roger

My K1 timeline

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Guangzhou, China

04/08/10: I-129F Sent

04/16/10: I-129F NOA1

no RFE(s) asked for

06/17/10: I-129F NOA2

07/03/10: Packet 3 Received

07/19/10: Packet 3 Sent

07/29/10: Packet 4 Received, interview set for 8/30/10

07/30/10: Emailed GUZ via their website to request a new interview date

08/23/10: Called DOS to check status, was told new interview date is 9/29/10 and my files are physically at GUZ (not just SAFEFILE)

08/28/10: 2nd Packet 4 Received, interview date set for 9/29/10

09/29/10: Interview passed, red slip!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hi all,

I just found and joined this forum. There are a lot of information here. I've read a lot but still have a few questions I hope some of you here can help me with. Thanks very much in advance.

A little background first. I'm a Chinese-American (naturalized citizen), and my fiancee is Chinese. I met her on the internet just over a year ago. Since then I have been back to China twice to be with her. The first time we spent about 2 weeks together, and the second time a little over a month. And we were engaged on my second trip. Now I'm starting the K-1 visa process.

First question, for my fiancee, on the various forms/letters that she needs to sign, how should she sign them? Since her native writings are Chinese characters, should she just sign like she used to or change the signature to English letters (i.e. use Pinyin for her name)?

Second question, since my fiancee and I mostly communicate in Chinese (I'm bilingual, fluent in both Chinese and English), can I translate those materials that support/prove our relationship myself (such as letters she wrote to me, our chat log, etc)? Would that be allowed or valid? If not, what is required for the translation to be official?

Third question, I have my naturalization certificate, do I still need to send in my birth certificate?

Fourth question, I read here something about one page or four pages for form G-325A. What is that about? I downloaded this form, and G-325A is only 2 pages, 1 for filling and 1 is instruction. So I'm a bit confused...

Last but not least. I heard that for Chinese applying K-1, the interview is done at the Guangzhou consulate only. Is that right? Only one place in entire China?? I hope I can get confirmation on this. My fiancee lives in Chengdu and there's already a US consulate there. It'd be so convenient if she could do it there. Also, is it possible for me to accompany my fiancee to the interview, I mean, go into the consulate with her?

Thank you very much for reading my questions. And I'd really appreciate any advice or help.

roger

1) She should in general sign in Chinese pinyin. There are specific locations on the I-129F and/or G-325A that clearly says, if your native alphabet or writing characters are other than the English Roman characters, sign your name here in your native alphabet.

The answer for this question is on the form. You are not reading the forms. So if it does not say use native writing, she must develop a pinyin signature.

2) The translations of email and chat logs do not come up at this stage. They will come up at the Embassy interview stage in Guanzhou. You should check about the translations on the Guangzhou web-site or there are many people here who have gone through GZ.

3) NO, not chengdu. GZ only.

Naturalization N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

WELCOME TO VJ! Sorry, some people on here are harsh with their responses and forget that they were also once "green newbies."

You can translate the logs yourself, but considering that you both have a mutual fluency of Chinese, that is the burden you will have at the consulate level..to show that you both can communicate effectively. She does not have to speak English, as long as you demonstrate that you speak a dialect proficiently.

She should use English or Pinyin for all areas of the immigration forms, unless it is specified to use Native Alphabet, in her case Chinese script.

For the G325A, this is a new thing. The old system required 4 pages (4 copies of the biographic page) that came as a PDF that would auto-fill, but now the form only has one page. Many of us that filed at this transition point still included four pages. I had no troubles. Unless someone else says otherwise, you should be fine with one page, but can protect your a$$ with 4 copies.

You need to send in your birth certificate, this is part of the instructions, to send in the birth certificate OR ALL pages of your passport.

For GUZ, it surprises many people to learn that there is only one consulate that handles K visas. You can direct consular file at others, but this is not your situation. Read more in the China forum and you will learn about more details of the GUZ process. You can also check out Candle for Love, a website just for China Immigration. They have some great material that is pinned there. You can go to the embassy with your fiancee, but you can not attend the interview. There is a point at which you will not be able to continue, and have to wait for her. Many people say it is beneficial to attend, she can take your passport to demonstrate that you are present. At GUZ, it seems that having more than one visit is very crucial, and attending the interview day is one more affirmation that your relationship is genuine.

Good luck and ask more questions as needed...we are all doing this from "green" to "veteran." :thumbs:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Sorry, some people on here are harsh with their responses and forget that they were also once "green newbies."

I apologize if my response seems harsh. It was not intended to be so. However, this is a very long and difficult process. You will learn a lot by first reading all of the forms and instructions before filling them out. Reading is essential.

Naturalization N-400

Timeline
I apologize if my response seems harsh. It was not intended to be so. However, this is a very long and difficult process. You will learn a lot by first reading all of the forms and instructions before filling them out. Reading is essential.

No problem at all. I thank you all who read my questions and even more to those who took the time to answer. I just started reading the various parts of this site when I first posted. I've read a lot now and even found some answers to my questions. This is a daunting process we all have to go through. I feel this site is very informative (you just need to have the time and patience to search for your answers) and full of kind and helpful people.

A few more follow up questions on how to fill the forms. They all seem to be trivial things, but I just don't want anything screwing up if the USCIS is really picky.

My fiancee has already signed and mailed her G325A form. But I found out that, as she does not have a middle name, she left those boxes blank. Should I hand fill the middle name box with None or N/A? The form was filled online, printed and my fiancee hand signed before mailing it to me. Is it really that important to fill all the boxes? What about the Apt# box, both her and my addresses are not apartments, so we don't have Apt #, should we leave it blank or write None or N/A? Also, when writing the country China, can I just write China or do I have to write more formally as P.R. China?

One last thing, in both I129 and G325A, they ask for an A#. What is that number? I remember I use to have an Alien Registration # (on my green card before I naturalized). But since I was naturalized a long time ago, I no longer have nor remember that number (they take your green card away once you are naturalized). I looked at my certificate of naturalization and noticed there is a INS registration number that is Axxxxxxxxx. Is that the number that's asked for in I129 and G325A?

Again, thank you all for help. I'm sure as this process goes on I'll have more "silly" questions.

roger

My K1 timeline

Service Center: California Service Center

Consulate: Guangzhou, China

04/08/10: I-129F Sent

04/16/10: I-129F NOA1

no RFE(s) asked for

06/17/10: I-129F NOA2

07/03/10: Packet 3 Received

07/19/10: Packet 3 Sent

07/29/10: Packet 4 Received, interview set for 8/30/10

07/30/10: Emailed GUZ via their website to request a new interview date

08/23/10: Called DOS to check status, was told new interview date is 9/29/10 and my files are physically at GUZ (not just SAFEFILE)

08/28/10: 2nd Packet 4 Received, interview date set for 9/29/10

09/29/10: Interview passed, red slip!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
No problem at all. I thank you all who read my questions and even more to those who took the time to answer. I just started reading the various parts of this site when I first posted. I've read a lot now and even found some answers to my questions. This is a daunting process we all have to go through. I feel this site is very informative (you just need to have the time and patience to search for your answers) and full of kind and helpful people.

A few more follow up questions on how to fill the forms. They all seem to be trivial things, but I just don't want anything screwing up if the USCIS is really picky.

My fiancee has already signed and mailed her G325A form. But I found out that, as she does not have a middle name, she left those boxes blank. Should I hand fill the middle name box with None or N/A? The form was filled online, printed and my fiancee hand signed before mailing it to me. Is it really that important to fill all the boxes?

I suggest downloading the example forms that you can find on this site, they are quite useful. Most Chinese do not have a middle name, you can leave it blank. You should fill in as much as possible, just be careful about using N/A & NONE..make sure the proper connotation is being used. If the question refers to children and she has never had any..don't use N/A, use NONE...make sense? :)

What about the Apt# box, both her and my addresses are not apartments, so we don't have Apt #, should we leave it blank or write None or N/A? Also, when writing the country China, can I just write China or do I have to write more formally as P.R. China?

Leave APT# blank, we used "China" There can be no confusion about this since the consulate you are apply at is Guangzhou, they will not be confused.

One last thing, in both I129 and G325A, they ask for an A#. What is that number?

Yep, she doesn't have an A# yet, just leave it blank.

I remember I use to have an Alien Registration # (on my green card before I naturalized). But since I was naturalized a long time ago, I no longer have nor remember that number (they take your green card away once you are naturalized). I looked at my certificate of naturalization and noticed there is a INS registration number that is Axxxxxxxxx. Is that the number that's asked for in I129 and G325A? YES :thumbs:

Again, thank you all for help. I'm sure as this process goes on I'll have more "silly" questions.

roger

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

on the instructions for form i-129f, it says a copy of the naturalization certificate is enough to show you are a US citizen. so no need for birth certificate or passport copy.

also regarding signature, i believe you can sign whatever language you want, since signature is a unique thing belong to you only, shouldn't have to be readable by other people.

correct me if I'm wrong on any of the above.

thanks.

Edited by jackc

I-129F Sent : 2010-03-17

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-03-23

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-05-06

NVC Received : 2010-05-12

NVC Left : 2010-05-14

Consulate Received : 2010-05-19

Packet 3 Received : 2010-05-22

Packet 3 Sent : 2010-05-24

Packet 4 Received : 2010-06-23

Interview Date : 2010-07-09

Interview Result : Approved

Visa Received : 2010-07-13

US Entry : 2010-09-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.