leith@Ievgeniia

recent trip to ukraine

65 posts in this topic

If you can fly JFK to Kiev by way of Moscow for $300 but JFK to Moscow is $500... why not just fly to Kiev and miss your connection?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Typically 2 days to get the visa at Fedex in Kiev. I have seen cases where it is there the next day, but that is unusual.

The interview date depends on when she has the medical. Because she will travel from Kharkov you will probably want her to get the medical exam one day and the interview the next. The medical clininc had been closing on Wednesdays, and the consulate was closed on Fridays (not doing interviews) though that may have changed. If she is in Kiev before then, you can make the medical exam anytime after you have the NVC number (the "KEV" number) Alla had hers about a month before her interview because she was in Kiev for business anyway. There is that good and fast express train from Kharkov-Kiev, but maybe it is expensive for a separate trip? I never rode on it but heard it is pretty nice...and fast.

If that is the plan, then a Tuesday or Wednesday interview would be best with a Monday or Tuesday medical exam. Even with a Wednesday interview, your visa should be ready to pick up Friday and the counter at Fedex is (was) open on Saturday morning in Kiev. Alla these things tend to change and you can ask when you make your appointments. Make the interview first and then make the medicall appointment. Getting the medcial appointment is not a problem, the clinic operates, almost, on a walk-in basis.

Thanks again, Gary. That is really valuable information.

I was actually thinking about her taking a medical after we get the KEV number too. Because she's not working right now and has time to do it. That express train is great (arrives in the morning), there's also a nice bus going to Kiev now (she likes buses more than trains) so we'll figure it out.

As far as expenses, I'll fork over the monies, even though she'll object to no end but it's not too expensive for our U.S. income.

Basically, I don't know how far away we are from all of this, but I am a type of person that likes to be prepared for what comes ahead. Even though there's no set date yet, we'll get there eventually. Sooner or later VSC will process us :P

If you can fly JFK to Kiev by way of Moscow for $300 but JFK to Moscow is $500... why not just fly to Kiev and miss your connection?

Btw, there's no need for a transit visa for Russia (for U.S. citizens) is there?

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline
Thanks again, Gary. That is really valuable information.

I was actually thinking about her taking a medical after we get the KEV number too. Because she's not working right now and has time to do it. That express train is great (arrives in the morning), there's also a nice bus going to Kiev now (she likes buses more than trains) so we'll figure it out.

As far as expenses, I'll fork over the monies, even though she'll object to no end but it's not too expensive for our U.S. income.

Basically, I don't know how far away we are from all of this, but I am a type of person that likes to be prepared for what comes ahead. Even though there's no set date yet, we'll get there eventually. Sooner or later VSC will process us :P

Btw, there's no need for a transit visa for Russia (for U.S. citizens) is there?

No. No need for a transit visa if you stay in the secure transit area of SVO. Did you not keep your Ukraine passport current? Tsk, tsk. :P VV would be proud of you though.

Nothing wrong with being prepared.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

We did something like that with my wife's ticket when she immigrated to the USA. Round trip was way cheaper than a 1 way ticket, so we just used half a round trip. I hate the way airlines price tickets.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

We did something like that with my wife's ticket when she immigrated to the USA. Round trip was way cheaper than a 1 way ticket, so we just used half a round trip. I hate the way airlines price tickets.

Where did you but the ticket? Our round trips (usually to Odessa) usually price out about $900 - $1,000, and one ways are $600-$700. Haven't looked lately, but maybe it is the Odessa destination.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline
Where did you but the ticket? Our round trips (usually to Odessa) usually price out about $900 - $1,000, and one ways are $600-$700. Haven't looked lately, but maybe it is the Odessa destination.

Anything besides Kiev will costs couple of hundreds more by default.

Just like JFK costs less than EWR or PHL for me, for example

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Because they will cancel the return ticket. People used to do this, I used to do this all the time. They caught on. If you miss any leg of the trip, they frequently cancel all remaining tickets on that trip.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

In my experience, Brad, flying beyond Kiev adds $200-400 to the round trip ticket and usually a day to the return trip (overnight layover) I have flown into Odessa and Donetsk and the prices always varied and always (except on one rare occasion) hundreds to the price. On one occasion the CHEAPEAST ticket I could find was Burlington -Donetsk via O'Hare, Amsterdam and Munich! :wacko: Then Kiev, Brussels, Ohare, Burlington coming back. No overnight layovers. I left Donetsk on a Sunday morning and was deposited in a stupor in a garbage bag on the luggage carousel in Burlington that same night, or whatever the hell time it was. It was on that trip I found that Ohare airport is the only airport in the world in which I do not speak enough languages to order a hot dog.

Gary And Alla

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Typically 2 days to get the visa at Fedex in Kiev. I have seen cases where it is there the next day, but that is unusual.

The interview date depends on when she has the medical. Because she will travel from Kharkov you will probably want her to get the medical exam one day and the interview the next. The medical clininc had been closing on Wednesdays, and the consulate was closed on Fridays (not doing interviews) though that may have changed. If she is in Kiev before then, you can make the medical exam anytime after you have the NVC number (the "KEV" number) Alla had hers about a month before her interview because she was in Kiev for business anyway. There is that good and fast express train from Kharkov-Kiev, but maybe it is expensive for a separate trip? I never rode on it but heard it is pretty nice...and fast.

If that is the plan, then a Tuesday or Wednesday interview would be best with a Monday or Tuesday medical exam. Even with a Wednesday interview, your visa should be ready to pick up Friday and the counter at Fedex is (was) open on Saturday morning in Kiev. Alla these things tend to change and you can ask when you make your appointments. Make the interview first and then make the medicall appointment. Getting the medcial appointment is not a problem, the clinic operates, almost, on a walk-in basis.

I've ridden the express from Kharkov to Kiev and back again. It's relatively inexpensive, fast and comfortable.

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

I've ridden the express from Kharkov to Kiev and back again. It's relatively inexpensive, fast and comfortable.

That's what Daria and I will be taking most likely to come back after the interview.

Don't know about getting to Kiev though, express comes in at 9 AM so it's sorta out of the question

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

That's what Daria and I will be taking most likely to come back after the interview.

Don't know about getting to Kiev though, express comes in at 9 AM so it's sorta out of the question

As I recall I arrived in Kharkov about 11:30PM from Kiev.

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Timeline

As I recall I arrived in Kharkov about 11:30PM from Kiev.

Yep, that's right.

We have to figure out a good way to get to Kiev from Kharkov still. Once we have the interview date we'll plan. For now, we just need to get TO NVC....OUT of NVC and TO Kiev pronto. I need this interview to happen before May (since May 1st-10th) there will be a standstill due to holidays

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Did somebody fly to Kiev for $300 via Aeroflot through Moscow? This is a very attractive option but that ridiculously low price makes me nervous. Why is it so low? It is at least twice as low as any other one way JFK – Kiev flight.

Timeline

Did somebody fly to Kiev for $300 via Aeroflot through Moscow? This is a very attractive option but that ridiculously low price makes me nervous. Why is it so low? It is at least twice as low as any other one way JFK – Kiev flight.

I've been pondering that route too.... I'll be flying to Kiev in April or May. If I decide to go with a "say a prayer" airline, I'll let you know.

But I'm leaning towards Delta..... even though it's twice as expensive

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Yep, that's right.

We have to figure out a good way to get to Kiev from Kharkov still. Once we have the interview date we'll plan. For now, we just need to get TO NVC....OUT of NVC and TO Kiev pronto. I need this interview to happen before May (since May 1st-10th) there will be a standstill due to holidays

Oops, I forgot about that. I wonder if we will be able to get the visa during the 1-10th timeframe. I might have to call back and reschedule.

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.