I-864 - Evidence of Intention to Reestablish Residence

20 posts in this topic

I strongly suggest she go back TO THE USA with cash, and

1. get a USA bank account in her name and

2. get a lease on a residence property somewhere

BETWEEN the dates of :

1. apply for DCF'd I-130 and

2. Interview Day.

she can accomplish all within a week in the USA.

She doesn't have to 'move', per se - but -

those 2 things I mentioned? IRON-CLAD, BulletProof evidence of 're-establishing domicile in the USA' -

and is done prior to interview day.

Do it that way? the IO won't mess with ya.

For other consulates, maybe. Totally overkill for the UK. It is possible for a USC to set up a US bank account online from the UK, and it is sufficient to do as I did, namely state in a letter that you will be living with family (if applicable). If you want to get a "lease" drawn up by the people with whom you will first be staying and provide this as well, that's doable too. Don't waste the airfare unless your wife wants to go on holiday anyway. :) Very, very, VERY few people have ever had issues proving domicile when going through London.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

elmcitymaven, you are an absolute star. My USC husband left the US when he was 15, so we are fretting about what to put together for domicile intent. The letter you posted is very helpful. About the US account could you please let me know which bank you used to open the account online. Thanks

Edited by Taavy

elmcitymaven, you are an absolute star. My USC husband left the US when he was 15, so we are fretting about what to put together for domicile intent. The letter you posted is very helpful. About the US account could you please let me know which bank you used to open the account online. Thanks

just jumping in in case elmcitymaven isn't here today: I've opened a couple of accounts online since living here easily-- one with www.ingdirect.com and one with www.fnbodirect.com. I just used my mother's address as the local address-- does your husband have an address he could use?

Thanks jhphi! I was going to suggest Bank of America and ING Direct as well. I opened my account in person while I was over on a visit, but several people doing DCF have opened accounts online with BoA and ING from overseas so those were my first recommendations. :)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.