Rod James

transfering credit history to USA

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi all,

and thanks for everyone's help to get me down here. we are now settling into our rented house in Canby, Oregon. I am overwhelmed by all the logistical details that go with starting over here and getting a new business started...not for the faint of heart. I'm taking it one day at a time.

One big matter has to do with establishing US credit history so we can buy a house. A helpful representative at Chase bank told us we should be able to have credit history transferred and gave us numbers to call the 3 main branches that deal with credit ratings: Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union. He said they deal with international issues all the time.

the mortgage broker we initially talked to said we would need to establish a year or two of US credit history before they would consider us.

so, does anyone have experience with transferring credit history to the US and can confirm it is in fact possible?

thanks

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Probably all depends on the institution! I'm sure if they truly want to get ur Cdn history they could, but many wont!

Keep in mind that you do NOT have to be included on the mortgage. I wasn't when we bought our Condo, BUT I was on the deed

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I have never heard of anyone having their credit history 'transferred' to the 3 main credit bureaus. This is not to say that it can't be done, just that I have never heard of it.

The mortgage broker that you talked to pretty much told you the same thing I was told by a couple of U.S. banks. They want to see at least 2 "credit streams" (credit cards) and they want to see 2 years worth of credit history.

Some banks will take your Canadian credit history in to consideration. One of these is RBC and in fact they have a mortgage person who deals strictly with Canadian people who have moved to the U.S.

Timeline
One big matter has to do with establishing US credit history so we can buy a house. A helpful representative at Chase bank told us we should be able to have credit history transferred and gave us numbers to call the 3 main branches that deal with credit ratings: Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union. He said they deal with international issues all the time.

My understanding was that it's not possible to transfer since Experian, Equifax and Trans Union (even though they operate in Canada and the US) are governed under different financial jurisdiction that is specific to each country. The bottom line is that they don't talk to each other. There is some financial institutions that will accept your Canadian credit history (e.g. Royal Bank, which has a American subsidiary) but make sure you find an experience Royal Bank banker who is familiar with the process.

One way I know to get credit "transfer" is via Amex, as they have their own credit dept that will transfer your canadian credit history with Amex to your American one. However, they will "qualify" you again by asking for your US address and employment.

Other than than, you have to start all over again and build your credit up.

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

Timeline

thanks for your responses. there are a couple interesting leads here to follow. We do have a Canadian Amex card and RBC accounts.

Trailmix, do you know if proximity to an RBC US branch is required. I set up an account with a US RBC bank but all their branches are east coast and I'm on the west coast. I only did it for ease of transferring funds cross-border. I wonder if they would consider a mortgage for a client so far from their branches of operation?

you all are helping stirr up some options here. It would be great to buy now as there are some great deals to be had if we can pull it together. Given that i am the main income earner I don't think my US citizen wife's credit history will count much but we will continue to look at that also. perhaps I can set her up with myself as a partnership (we did in Canada) and thereby qualify through her still somehow.

Timeline

I'm not sure about RBC - as we were in Florida, but I don't see why not.

As for your American Express, you can do a global transfer, however, although we have had our Canadian card for quite some time, it was still considered new credit to the U.S. reporting agencies.

They did not ask us for any further info - jobs in the U.S. etc, not sure if this is because we had our card for so long or because it is a new requirement.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

This doesnt answer your question on transferring credit history, but maybe will give some idea about other ways to procure property as a non-citizen/without credit. We bought a house before I came down to the US to get married and ran in the same problem and ended up just having my husband on the mortgage but both our names on the deed.

Several options you may have include:

1. Buying the house with the mortgage solely under your spouse's name, but have your name on the deed.

2. Buying as a foreigner -- you can buy property, you just have to pay PMI or something else -- we decided against this because you lose money and because I dont know what happens when you change status. Also, Im not certain if the reason they offered this option to us is because I also had previous credit history or because its possible...

3. Getting a co-signature on the loan, if you have concerns over your spouse's credit history, and getting your name on the deed

4. I dont know if this applies to the US, but in Canada, if you can produce 35% of the down payment to the house, you can buy property without credit history

Gooodluck!!!!

Edited by darkchilde794

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

thanks for your responses. there are a couple interesting leads here to follow. We do have a Canadian Amex card and RBC accounts.

Trailmix, do you know if proximity to an RBC US branch is required. I set up an account with a US RBC bank but all their branches are east coast and I'm on the west coast. I only did it for ease of transferring funds cross-border. I wonder if they would consider a mortgage for a client so far from their branches of operation?

I'm not Trailmix, but I'm an RBC customer and just recently opened up the RBC Access account, which allows me to transfer funds from my Canadian RBC account into my new American RBC account without penalty or delay. When I met with the account manager, I asked her about the credit situation, and she indicated that they WOULD take my prior credit history with my RBC Visa in Canada into consideration. In other words, it will likely kick-start my credit in the U.S. She figured that I may have to have a consultation with them, but wasn't totally sure. I'll be living less than three hours away from a branch, so a one-time consultation isn't too big of a deal for me. They may very well be able to do something like this without consultation for you though. Just make sure you've got the RBC Access account.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline

where abouts are u moving to? TD bank has banks in the USA as well, Piles of them in the DC area

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

where abouts are u moving to? TD bank has banks in the USA as well, Piles of them in the DC area

He mentioned he's on the West Coast, but I'm pretty sure there are TDs in California, at least.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Okay, so in this line of questioning, I have a terrible credit history (ex racked up my credit cards and I ended up missing payments and such), Does that mean my bad credit goes away and I get to start fresh when I get to the states?? :dance:

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

We deal with the RBC in Florida, and they will use your credit history in Canada for a mortgage. In fact we bought property there 2 years ago, and are still living in Canada. It was quite easy to get our mortgage through them. So, proximity shouldn't matter. I can give you a contact name there if you like to get some information from them, just send me a private message.

you all are helping stirr up some options here. It would be great to buy now as there are some great deals to be had if we can pull it together. Given that i am the main income earner I don't think my US citizen wife's credit history will count much but we will continue to look at that also. perhaps I can set her up with myself as a partnership (we did in Canada) and thereby qualify through her still somehow.

Timeline

I had a problem with credit when I first moved here. We rented an apartment for the first year because we didn't know exactly where in MN we wanted to live. We were lucky to get a mortgage in the second year based on my wife's credit and the 2 bills that were in my name and were always current from the utility companies. I'm guessing it would be a different matter today.

Our mortgage broker back than said there was no way for me to have my credit rating from Canada transferred or applied to anything here. Why? I'm still not certain. I was told I really needed to establish a minimum of 2 years credit to be taken seriously. Even getting a credit card at a reasonable rate was a pain at the time.

Cdnmn

LPR since 2003 and will be applying for Naturalization soon. Currently working on I-130 for my son.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Except they aren't reeally connected to the Cdn version, are they?

To the OP - you'll find opinions on both sides....my personal experience is that Chase could not really use my Cdn credit history (barely attempted to even get it) when we went to buy the house and therefore my husnband's name is on the mortgage and 6 months afterwards,we added my name to the house deed. Someday, if we refinance, we'll add my name on the mortgage as well.

Establishing credit can be frustrating here...I was a well established person with good credit in Canada and after coming here...I currently have a measley credit card under my own name to start re-establishing with a $750...if I sound bitter, I am because it feels like I'm 18 again and have nothing to show for all my hardwork.

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Establishing credit can be frustrating here...I was a well established person with good credit in Canada and after coming here...I currently have a measley credit card under my own name to start re-establishing with a $750...if I sound bitter, I am because it feels like I'm 18 again and have nothing to show for all my hardwork.

When I moved I had issue too. Luckily my car blew up in the desert shortly after moving and I bought a new car. I had horrible interest for the first year, but was able to refinance. Getting the new car at least gave me a start and that was pretty much all it took for me to get on the credit list. Still had to pay a lot of interest for the first year though which sucked as I was in the highest bracket (High Risk) catagory...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.