Peachey

Weight loss support

277 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

tysalanna and necrotica -- thats amazing! Good job guys!

Huggles: I can totally relate! Ive basically been eating horribly and not working out since the snow storm and working. Because of the snow storm, hubby and I have to go home before 6 pm so we can park :P Before, we'd run twice a week but we cant even do that. And because we were at his parents' for two weeks, I havent been able to grocery shop and been living on pizza and chips! Adding work to the mix, I'm just buying my meals all the time now and I can just imagine the excess calories Im consuming!

Well we've moved back home now and I really plan to get organized and get back to the saddle. Ive recently picked up a Saturday teaching slot, so Id rather much go home after work instead of work out since the past two weeks were super hectic. But once things settle, I will definitely go back my healthy ways!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Huggles, I can relate too. I've never felt 'thin', but I've felt 'healthy'. Until this past year. Now I feel absolutely horrible, and I hate it. I too get stuck with bad eating habits adopted by those I live with. It's a real struggle. My husband is REALLY thin, and just doesn't have the same understanding about weight that I do. He's supportive, but only can be to a certain point.

Stop eating out so much! :P Pack healthier lunches for yourselves, use crock pots for dinner, or go on the Jared Subway diet! LOL Even eating out can present healthier choices! :) But you're right, living closer to work will help a lot

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

Man, just imagine how much money you would SAVE not eating out. Seriously!

The biggest reason why I cook most of our foods is not because of health issue but because it cost so much less! Since I moved here in November, I've pretty much kept our grocery bill to 35-60 dollars a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Granted, my lunch is usually left overs and I pack my hunny a sandwhich, but it's still pretty good value!

Because we havent been home, my hubby and I ate out about 3x this week and spent our grocery budget on three mediocre meals :P

Removal of Conditions:

I agree with that too darkchilde! It's SO much cheaper eating at home!

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

I agree that eating out is expensive (depending where you go and how often), but I need the change of someone else cooking or something I wouldn't be able to make easily at home.

I like just being able to get out and enjoy some good food.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Man, just imagine how much money you would SAVE not eating out. Seriously!

The biggest reason why I cook most of our foods is not because of health issue but because it cost so much less! Since I moved here in November, I've pretty much kept our grocery bill to 35-60 dollars a week for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Granted, my lunch is usually left overs and I pack my hunny a sandwhich, but it's still pretty good value!

Because we havent been home, my hubby and I ate out about 3x this week and spent our grocery budget on three mediocre meals :P

We pretty much each in for all of our meals and we try to keep our grocery bill around $75-$100 one week and then the next week, we just need to pick up a few things and usually only spend $25-$50. I bring my lunch to work everyday and R buys his from his cafeteria for about $4, so that's why he refuses to bring a lunch because it's so cheap.

Anyways, I can totally relate to those with husbands who don't eat fruits/vegetables. When I moved here, he barely ate any at all. Now that I'm around, we eat vegetables at every meal and usually fruit for dessert. I always just look at what's on sale and in season and buy a few things and then I'll cut it up and force him to eat it with me.

A few things that he's really grown to love: bosc pears, oranges (they are really sweet right now), cantaloupe, apples. I've also got him used to eating those frozen mixed vegetables with some margarine (better than nothing!) and he'll eat green beans, broccoli and salad with ceaser or ranch dressing. I also buy canned peaches too, since they are better than eating a real dessert but are still sweet and my husband will eat them. At the beginning it really was baby steps.. getting him to take a bite of my salad, a bite of my pear or banana. Now, he gets mad when I don't give him a portion to share!

I didn't grow up with a lot of money, but we ALWAYS had fresh fruits and vegetables in the house, so I refuse to give it up, even though I agree it can be kind of expensive. For example, today we went grocery shopping and bought a cantaloupe, grapes and oranges. We probably spent around $6 on fruit, which is not bad at all! I'll wash the grapes and put them in a bowl for us to snack on. I'll also cut up the melon and put it in a tupperware for snacking/dessert. There was more I wanted to get, but I've realized that I can't buy too much or we won't finish it in time. It's been a learning process figuring out how much fresh fruit/veggies to buy in order to not have things go to waste.

Another thing we do to save money is we buy a large pack of chicken or meat on sale and then I separate them into Ziploc bags in just the right amount for 2 people and then we freeze them individually. Every night, we just take a portion of meat in the freezer and put it in the fridge for the next night's dinner. It helps that we don't buy any soda, snack foods, or anything pre-made in a package also. When we want pasta, we make our sauce from scratch using canned tomatoes instead of that premade stuff... sooo much heathier since I can control what I put into it (aka not sugar and not to much salt).

I think this is all a learning experience for sure. The more we live together the more we have been able to figure out how to compromise on foods that we both like without being really unhealthy.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Sapphire, same thing here!

Haha, my husband barely ate vegetables or fruits before we lived together. And now he'll try some vegetables for lunch (Ill cut up peppers or pack baby carrots for him). I also hardly buy any sodas or chips anymore... and if I want treats (cookies, cakes), Ill make them from scratch. At least I can sneak in some "healthy" ingredients while having my treats (ie. chocolate chip oatmeal cookies!). My goal now is to try to buy natural or organic foods as the chemical burden on natural/organic animals and produce is less. I also think that the chemicals in the food also contribute to weight gain...

The only time the husband and I eat out is when we're craving for Chinese, as its the only thing I cannot really make (the unhealthy ones, ie. General Tsao's chicken, etc). Other than that, home cooking is so much nicer!

Removal of Conditions:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Wait, you can pack lunch?! (:lol:) No, I totally agree, eating out gets ridiculously expensive. I don't even want to know how much we spend on food a month... Just doing some quick math, I'd say we spend at least $150 a week just eating out, not counting our grocery bill. That definitely needs to stop! Especially since we'll have a mortgage to pay starting next week.

I'll need to take some responsibility too. I can't cook worth a darn and I hate doing it. I have a bad habit of buying things that come out of a bag or a box and you just throw into the oven or microwave for a couple minutes. I need to really try to learn how to cook! I actually have a crock pot and It's never been out of the box. I have no idea how to use it... I mean, its so bad, I was making my husband a cake the other day for his birthday and I called my mom twice to ask her questions. It was a cake mix from a box! :lol:

As far as husbands and fruit go... I can't even get him to try an orange. I'm not kidding, he's never had an orange! I bought apples a couple weeks back and he wouldn't eat one of those either, even when I offered to cut it up and skin it for him. I find myself not buying healthy things because I know it will go bad before we actually get to eat it. I'll buy something like a head of lettuce and I'm the only one that eats it, so it goes bad before even half of it is gone. This is with our current situation living in a house of 5 people! Maybe I should just stop caring and buy what I like and whats good for me, if anything to save my own health.

Timeline

Oh Huggles *hugs* Dont worry hon, you can teach yourself how to cook! I never learned how to cook until 2 years ago :P I taught myself slowly by watching lots and lots of food shows. They REALLY help. I just started with lots of easy recipes and pretty soon I was making cakes and throwing dinner parties. It does get overwhelming at first, but eventually you'll get the hang of it!

Plus, you'll lose weight when you cook your own food! I always lose weight when I eat my own cooking. Not that its cause its sooo bad hahahaha, but because I control the ingredients.

And I think your husband will eat better when you guys have moved out and the only things in your fridge are fruits and vegetables :P My hubby doesnt get to eat junk unless we are at his mum's house, just cause I dont keep chips or treats at home :D

Removal of Conditions:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I think I might need to do that! Just control what is in the fridge and the cupboards because its human nature to eat the junk when the junk is there and up for grabs.

But thanks for the words of encouragement Darkchilde, you're such a sweetie! :) Maybe I should start watching the food network. I think I just need a little more confidence to be a little more adventurous with food and not be so afraid of it tasting bad or burning..

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sat Night Weigh in -

I started P90X and a new diet 2 weeks ago - started at -

So that's 11 pounds in 2 weeks.

Whoop !

My goal is get down to 195 by the end of the 90 days.

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I totally relate to the spouse not wanting to eat fruits and veggies. When I met my husband, he refused to eat almost any veggie or fruit at all. It's so hard for especially because I'm a vegetarian! I get so tired of eating the same thing over and over. He HATES beans, and well, that's the only protein I can afford right now besides eggs and PB. He will eat peas, diced carrots (only if they are super soft/overcooked), corn, tomatoes, and spinach. Fruits he is better about, but we can't afford much in that department -- pineapple was the only thing he ate though before I met him... on his pizza.

I haven't exercised since my last post (what, 3 days ago?). This is the problem I struggle with most with exercising. It is not a lack of motivation, but the combination of recurrent migraines and fatigue. One or the other has stopped me in the last 2 days. It's not the fatigue you get over after getting your heart rate up either. My husband's working graveyard shifts, and I'm suffering major insomnia as a result. At least I've been good on my eating habits -- keeping my calories at 1700 or so, according to SparkPeople. Does anyone else suffer from these problems getting in the way of exercise? What do you do?

K-1 Timeline

05/14/08 Engaged on my last day while visiting Bremen

07/03 Mailed 129f package

07/24 NOA1

12/05 NOA2

12/27 Packet 3 received

01/19/09 Medical in Hamburg

03/24 Successful interview at Frankfurt

03/31 Visa received

07/09 POE Salt Lake City

AOS/EAD/AP Timeline

08/22/09 Mailed package

08/28 NOA1

10/28 Biometrics completed; EAD card production ordered

11/07 EAD arrived

12/14 Successful AOS interview in Seattle

12/28/09 Greencard arrived

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Well, I weighed myself at the gym today and was actually really disappointed in myself! I have managed to gain almost 15 pounds since October/November! Yikes!! All of my clothes have been pretty tight, but I didn't think it was that bad!

I am definitely now 100% motivated to drop some pounds. I'm now going to increase my work outs and really watch my food intake from now on.

New goals:

10 pounds by April 1

20 pounds total by July 1

30 pounds total by Sept 1

So that will basically put me at my ideal weight. My wedding dress will probably fall off me, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hugglebuggles, It is hard to fit healthy eating habits into starting a new business. Hang in there. I know one thing that worked for me was cooking and prepping meals on Sunday for the week. I cut up lots of celery because I love eating celery and natural peanut butter for a snack. I also cut up other veggies to grab on the run and have some almonds around for protien. A quick protien shake can also be very nice with a piece of fruit. Hang in there.

Tysalanna

I love being a Canadian.

Sat Night Weigh in -

I started P90X and a new diet 2 weeks ago - started at -

So that's 11 pounds in 2 weeks.

Whoop !

My goal is get down to 195 by the end of the 90 days.

Wow that's amazing!

I've managed to gain 3 lbs since Friday. I don't think this is possible, so I'm thinking it might be water retention or more muscle mass (since we joined the gym).

I know I haven't told you guys my weight yet, so I'll come out with it. The scale this morning said 175.6 :'(

I'm hoping to work really hard this week and be down to 170 by next Monday. I think I can do it. I keep telling myself that I can pig out on my honeymoon if I eat really really good before the wedding.

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.