Peachey

Weight loss support

277 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Down 5lbs as of today! Onto the next 5!

This is still mostly me losing weight thanks to giving up restaurant food and pop for Lent. I don't really have the opportunity to work out at the moment - I get up for work at 6 and leave at 7, work from 7:30am - 7:00pm (more like 7:30 before we're out of there some nights), and then come home, eat dinner (thankfully Spoom is an amazing cook!) and then fall asleep on the couch. I don't really get a lunch break since I go right from one job to the other, so delaying dinner a bit to work out would likely cause me to pass out (usually dizzy by the time I get off work). After dinner, I have no motivation to work out whatsoever, and I'm usually asleep a half hour after we finish dinner. Neither job gives me an oppotunity to work out - no breaks at either job, and I'm on my feet the entire second job chasing middle/high schoolers. It's frustrating.

Edited by ScooterMac

Timeline for Spoom

2009-02-14: Engaged!

2009-02-21: Sent I-129F package to VSC

2009-11-09: Interview!! - APPROVED!!!

2009-11-21: POE

2010-01-23: WEDDING!!!

2010-02-19: Sent I-485 (AOS), I-765 (EAD), I-131 (AP) package to Chicago Lockbox

2010-03-01: NOA1

2010-03-16: Transferred to CSC!

2010-03-24: Biometrics in Buffalo

2010-04-21: AOS APPROVED!

2010-04-27: Received I-797 Approval / Welcome to America letter for AOS

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Duuuude pop is so bad for you. A former coworker of mine gave up pop for real and lost 20 pounds in a year. You are better off drinking maple syrup because at least its got some nutrients in it!!! Even the diet kind has so much chemicals that in some people cause them unnecessary weight gain (or the "tire" waist). I dont know the biological explanation behind why it happens... but if you consider that these chemicals "mimic" food, then our bodies probably absorb them thinking they are good nutrients when they are not. And when absorbed them, they stay in your cells and wreak havoc!!!

Hehe, sorry dramatic, huh?

I hardly buy any pop anymore, except when we have guests. Ive also started making my own iced tea and though it will never be as good as those canned Nestea ones, its so much healthier!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Duuuude pop is so bad for you. A former coworker of mine gave up pop for real and lost 20 pounds in a year. You are better off drinking maple syrup because at least its got some nutrients in it!!! Even the diet kind has so much chemicals that in some people cause them unnecessary weight gain (or the "tire" waist). I dont know the biological explanation behind why it happens... but if you consider that these chemicals "mimic" food, then our bodies probably absorb them thinking they are good nutrients when they are not. And when absorbed them, they stay in your cells and wreak havoc!!!

Hehe, sorry dramatic, huh?

I hardly buy any pop anymore, except when we have guests. Ive also started making my own iced tea and though it will never be as good as those canned Nestea ones, its so much healthier!

I've heard the same thing about diet pop. And, I stopped drinking diet this past weekend and have been drinking exclusively water, coffee, tea and my mid-section is already a lot slimmer than it was. I don't even crave it anymore either. I'd rather just have juice if I need something sweet.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
I've heard the same thing about diet pop. And, I stopped drinking diet this past weekend and have been drinking exclusively water, coffee, tea and my mid-section is already a lot slimmer than it was. I don't even crave it anymore either. I'd rather just have juice if I need something sweet.

Me too!

Its definitely the chemicals in there. I used to have allergies all the time, I always had a cold and my skin gets blotchy and bumpy. Then I just made a conscious decision not to eat anything thats pre-made (boxed dinners, boxed foods) and lessen my processed food intake. Now I hardly get sick (knock on wood) and my allergies are gone! I would have the sniffles here and there but not need to live beside a box of tissue each day. I think that because we all process things differently, that maybe the reaction of some people to chemical is weight gain and the others just illness.

I truly worry about the quality of the food that we have now a days. If you look at the ingredients of food from pop to frozen french fries, theres so many chemicals in them! Ive seen EDTA as a preservative in some grocery items. In lab, we use EDTA to open cells up to purify DNA. Imagine, in very minute concentrations, it destroys live organisms. And then we eat it. I suppose that is why its used as a preservative...

Anyway sorry to sound preachy -- that wasnt my intent!

Removal of Conditions:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
So this has been mentioned a few times now, and I've decided to start it!

I think a good way to start is to list our goals and how we want to achieve them. Then we can encourage each other :)

Short term goal: Lose 15-20 lbs by May 1st 2010 (our "wedding" date)

Long term goal: Lost 40-50 lbs by April 1st 2011 and to be healthy and toned.

I plan to achieve my goals by going to the gym and doing weight training 3 x week and doing the treadmill for 45 mins other 3 days week. Sunday will be my relax day. I also plan to indulge on one meal/week so I don't binge.

i'll join in as well

Short term goal: Lose 30 pounds by May 1, 2010

Long term goal: Total weight loss back to my "normal" before I had my last baby so after the STG of 30 pounds is off, I will have 40 more go to.

I will achieve my goals by keeping a food journal and limiting my food portions. For exercise, I will walk, long walks daily, using a pedometer. While at home, I will use my elliptical machine 30 minutes 3x/week.

Days%20

Egh, I fell off the wagon the last two days.

I hope I didn't really gain a whole lot. I didn't snack like crazy or eat like crazy, but something that happened just made me want to sit on my butt all day :dead:

I need to get my butt into gear again.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Egh, I fell off the wagon the last two days.

I hope I didn't really gain a whole lot. I didn't snack like crazy or eat like crazy, but something that happened just made me want to sit on my butt all day :dead:

I need to get my butt into gear again.

I really don't mean to come off like I know everything or anything like that, I've just noticed what's worked for me and am trying to help :) If I get annoying in my lil suggestions just let me know and I'll stop haha :)

I noticed that when I started making much smaller goals for myself than usual that I was able to push on much easier. For example, I'd promise myself I'd go an entire 30 days at first working out and eating right and absolutely would not look at a scale. I took pictures on day 1, did NOT look at them, then went the whole 30 days living "right" and took pictures at the end. Seriously I couldn't believe the amount of progress that showed up, was seriously amazing :)

If you get yourself focusing too much on the overall picture or keep checking for progress every day it's going to be really hard to keep up with it. Good luck to everyone!

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

I really don't mean to come off like I know everything or anything like that, I've just noticed what's worked for me and am trying to help :) If I get annoying in my lil suggestions just let me know and I'll stop haha :)

I noticed that when I started making much smaller goals for myself than usual that I was able to push on much easier. For example, I'd promise myself I'd go an entire 30 days at first working out and eating right and absolutely would not look at a scale. I took pictures on day 1, did NOT look at them, then went the whole 30 days living "right" and took pictures at the end. Seriously I couldn't believe the amount of progress that showed up, was seriously amazing :)

If you get yourself focusing too much on the overall picture or keep checking for progress every day it's going to be really hard to keep up with it. Good luck to everyone!

It's hard not to look at a scale when the Wii Fit weighs me everyday, haha.

The scale in this house is really fickle so I don't use it.

I exercise for like 50 minutes a day and burn around 340 calories.

I'm not sure if that's hardly enough or what, though the Spark website says it seems right for my weightloss goals.

It was more an emotions thing that didn't let me exercise yesterday, I need to learn to exercise when I feel crappy.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

It's hard not to look at a scale when the Wii Fit weighs me everyday, haha.

The scale in this house is really fickle so I don't use it.

I exercise for like 50 minutes a day and burn around 340 calories.

I'm not sure if that's hardly enough or what, though the Spark website says it seems right for my weightloss goals.

It was more an emotions thing that didn't let me exercise yesterday, I need to learn to exercise when I feel crappy.

If you can afford some resistance bands and a yoga mat I'd highly recommend you look into the p90X program too :) If you're able to crank out 50 minutes a day that's right around how long most of the workouts take for it (except Yoga) and I GUARANTEE you'll see results with it :)

If not, what kinds of workouts does the Wii have you doing? While 340 calories isn't bad maybe you need something a little more challenging to peak your interest and keep you coming back for more without getting discouraged?

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

I mostly do running on the spot and aerobic step.

Running on the spot for 30 minutes is a bit more of a workout that I'd think.

I'll look into that program you're doing and see if I can afford anything to start it.

I'll look into that program you're doing and see if I can afford anything to start it.

I think some of the videos can be viewed on youtube, just look up the cardio x or plyo x and see what you think :) No weights involved in either (other workouts during the week do require weights/bands) but you will surely burn some major calories :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I think this is great advice, and this is how I am trying to approach my weight loss. I have a scale but I am not going to step on it more than once a month. One thing I am really having a lot of success with this time around is not looking at the calories I burn when I exercise ... I'm instead just pushing myself as hard as I can everytime I exercise and then I walk away. I keep a mental note of how long I went for at what resistance and everything and make a goal to do better the next time around. I found that when I was telling myself, "I need to burn this many calories", I would burn exactly that many calories and never do better than that. This time I am just going and I'm honestly making progress everyday! It's actually really exciting, and instead of dreading exercising I'm actually looking forward to it. I officially sound like a wanker, but I don't care, haha. I've learned from several failed attempts that micro-managing my weight loss is not the way for me :)

AOS/AP/EAD Timeline

Package sent to Chicago Lockbox: 06/16/2010

Chicago Lockbox received: 06/18/2010

Received e-mail notification from Chicago Lockbox: 06/24/2010

Hard copy NOA1 received: 06/28/2010

Touch!: 06/28/2010

Received biometrics letter in the mail: 07/16/2010

Attempted walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- DENIED: 07/16/2010

2nd attempt at walk-in biometrics @ Salt Lake City office -- SUCCESS!: 07/28/2010

EAD card production ordered!: 08/09/2010

AP approved!: 08/09/2010

2nd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/12/2010

AP arrived!: 08/16/2010

3rd EAD card production ordered e-mail: 08/16/2010

EAD arrived!: 08/19/2010

Received interview letter in the mail: 09/13/2010

Green card interview -- APPROVED!: 10/15/2010

Green card received: 10/25/2010

The whole AOS process took almost exactly 4 months ... not too shabby!

I think this is great advice, and this is how I am trying to approach my weight loss. I have a scale but I am not going to step on it more than once a month. One thing I am really having a lot of success with this time around is not looking at the calories I burn when I exercise ... I'm instead just pushing myself as hard as I can everytime I exercise and then I walk away. I keep a mental note of how long I went for at what resistance and everything and make a goal to do better the next time around. I found that when I was telling myself, "I need to burn this many calories", I would burn exactly that many calories and never do better than that. This time I am just going and I'm honestly making progress everyday! It's actually really exciting, and instead of dreading exercising I'm actually looking forward to it. I officially sound like a wanker, but I don't care, haha. I've learned from several failed attempts that micro-managing my weight loss is not the way for me :)

That's actually great advice too! I noticed before I did a complete overhaul of my training that I'd end up doing the bare minimum to make myself feel good for that workout and that was it. Now I record all my numbers (weight, reps, sets, etc) and then the next week when I do them again I try to do no worse than a few more reps per exercise. I don't look back other than to the last week to push myself harder and it's really cool to see the strength/endurance that's gained over a month of doing that.

Seriously awesome advice :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm personally not convinced that the Wii fit is really that much of a weight loss stimulator. I mean, it definitely gets me up and moving, but it's nothing compared to how I sweat when I'm on the Elliptical or Stairmaster. It's really about your heartrate though. If it's getting your heart rate up, then it's probably helping you, but it might not be enough.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
I'm personally not convinced that the Wii fit is really that much of a weight loss stimulator. I mean, it definitely gets me up and moving, but it's nothing compared to how I sweat when I'm on the Elliptical or Stairmaster. It's really about your heartrate though. If it's getting your heart rate up, then it's probably helping you, but it might not be enough.

I think the programs that really help with weight loss with the Wii fit are the two running programs in it... so you essentially are doing stationary runs... which really you dont need the Wii fit for :P

Hubby says that your HR should be between 140-145 during your workouts, so if you are able to get your HR that high and keep it for 45 minutes, thats awesome. Other than that, its not gonna help much.

Removal of Conditions:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.