Tina&Roland

Canadians feeling guilty about taking jobs away from Americans?

79 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Im a P.R. and soon to be an American Citizen (february 26th) and I believe that who ever works in this country has a right to work in it. Even illegals because most jobs they do for the pay they do it for most Americans wont do it. For example restaurant workers work 12hr shifts everyday 6-7 fays a week for about 5-7 dollars an hour and I still haven't seen one American come and apply for a job like that

Absolutley not! There are no exceptions to hiring illegals.

8/2/2021:  Mailed N-400

8/4/2021: N-400 received

8/6/2021:  Biometrics to be reused
3/15/2022:  Interview (successful)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Being that I moved down to Florida, everyone you talk to here is from somewhere else. I've yet to meet someone (or at least, gotten to the matter of their roots) who was born and raised here. Will I feel guilty to stand in line amongst them for a job? Not in the least. I've paid my dues, in many respects, to live here, and to soon work and function here just as they do.

I find no guilt in that.

Interesting Sam. It's pretty similar here. My husband is a Colorado native, but the vast majority of people I've met here aren't. Its actually a big thing for people who are originally from the state to proclaim it and advertise it, like it makes them something special. Its a state built from migration from other states and even immigration from other countries. Yet, I'm not sure the attitude that accepting foreign workers is as open as you see in a lot of places. Unfortunately I feel like its just another of several obstacles I face trying to start a career here in Colorado.

As far as feeling guilty, absolutely not. I think there's an aura of bitterness in the US right now, in terms of the job market and the faltering economy. There are a lot of skilled American workers who have found themselves unemployed and unable to find employment, so they blame factors other than themselves to explain why that is the case. Its easier to say you can't get a job because of the influx of immigrants stealing all the jobs rather than evaluating yourself, your skills, your education and your attitude to help explain your current situation. I understand the frustration involved in not being able to find a job, and I've probably said some unfair things in trying to make excuses for myself as well, so I really don't blame people who make those remarks... It doesn't make it any better, but I do understand it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I've found that usually those Americans who have a problem with an immigrant working in the States somehow forgot along the way that almost all of us, within the last few generations, had a family member that was an immigrant too. One of those lil' funny things that most people forget here for some reason and is usually summed up by the overwhelming dumbhead population hehe

Absolutely right!

The USA is the greatest melting pot in the world.

I immigrated 21 yrs ago with a Labor Certification, to apply my skills to a job that no American was willing or able to do.

The US job offer was held open for 3 1/2 years waiting for the certification and the visa.

If I feel guilty about something it's that Canadian taxpayers funded so much of my training through community colleges and apprenticeship programs only to export that knowledge with me when I left Canada. That type of training investment is just not done the same in the US.

A lot of talent is drained south of the border because of the opportunity to apply it easier in a capitalist system.

In fact the system here depends on motivated and creative immigrants to add to the American enterprise whatever it takes to keep things moving.

Since immigrating I have paid lots of taxes, fixed broken machines, solved problems, created and built stuff an received nothing but money, appreciation, and thanks for my contributions.

America is a tremendously resourceful and rewarding place, and once the immigrants learn the rules they get woven in with those that have come before and everybody wins!

Immigrants have contributed in every way toward the success of America.

12-14-2009 I-129F Petition sent

12-21-2009 Petition received CSC

12-24-2009 NOA1

12-28-2009 "touched"

12-30-2009 Check cashed

04-20-2010 NOA2 approved!

04-24-2010 NOA2 received hard copy

04-26-2010 NVC received petition

04-28-2010 NVC sent case to Montreal consulate?

05-07-2010 Montreal transferred case to Vancouver consulate!

05-18-2010 Vancouver received case and sent out Packet 3

05-21-2010 Received Packet 3 letter from Vancouver consulate

05-25-2010 Faxed Packet 3 to Vancouver consulate

05-31-2010 Received Packet 4 Vancouver consulate interview letter

06-09-2010 Medical exam appointment

06-23-2010 Vancouver consulate interview

08-24-2010 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP

08-31-2010 NOA for AOS, EAD and AP

09-30-2010 Appointment for Biometrics

12-06-2010 AOS Appointment in Sacramento

12-10-2010 AOS Approved!

12-20-2010 Recieved Green Card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
And yet Canadians and Americans go and work all over the world and never bother to learn the language of the country they are living in - and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. Maybe it's arrogant for us as (predominantly) English speakers to expect them to have perfect or near perfect English.

I think it's arrogant... but, it's as dumb not to bother to learn English if you are moving to the USA (or French if you are moving to Quebec, there, I said it!)

Signed,

La Souris who speaks English with an accent and anticipates some discrimination

I always yack about US politics with my barber. He said he used to live in Connecticut. But it was different there. He said that all the Canadians would come across the border and take the good jobs. :lol:

I think it's arrogant... but, it's as dumb not to bother to learn English if you are moving to the USA (or French if you are moving to Quebec, there, I said it!)

Signed,

An accent?? Oh noes!!! I have an accent, or so my husband says. I tell him he is the one immigrating, so he has the accent. He has promised to practice saying 'y'all' :blink: I don' think that will help.

Lots of folk have 'accents' - if they are not from a particular region.

Edited by Married2009

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Timeline
An accent?? Oh noes!!! I have an accent, or so my husband says. I tell him he is the one immigrating, so he has the accent. He has promised to practice saying 'y'all' :blink: I don' think that will help.

Lots of folk have 'accents' - if they are not from a particular region.

I'm not too worried, but I know I do not sound like a native speaker :P

Going back to my Bostonian lessons now :innocent::whistle:

Im a P.R. and soon to be an American Citizen (february 26th) and I believe that who ever works in this country has a right to work in it. Even illegals because most jobs they do for the pay they do it for most Americans wont do it. For example restaurant workers work 12hr shifts everyday 6-7 fays a week for about 5-7 dollars an hour and I still haven't seen one American come and apply for a job like that

Nahhhh. It's not that Americans won't do the work. It's that the money is too low for the work. Living in Texas, I never see roofers or landscapers who aren't Mexican and speaking only Spanish. When I lived in Canada, those were good paying jobs. Same with construction. It's basically "insourcing" the job for lower wages.

Timeline

Signed,

That's interesting, if I moved to Quebec, I probably wouldn't learn French, on the flipside if a french speaking person from Quebec moves to Calgary, I don't expect them to learn English either. Why must we put our language preferences on others?

Now if you move to Quebec (or Calgary) and there are language preferences by employer - that's a personal thing for you, not a demand from bystanders.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Maybe it's lack of logic and common sense that is stopping said people from finding a job... not so much the immigrants!!

Seriously though, whoever is most qualified for the job, gets the job. It's not rocket science.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
That's interesting, if I moved to Quebec, I probably wouldn't learn French, on the flipside if a french speaking person from Quebec moves to Calgary, I don't expect them to learn English either. Why must we put our language preferences on others?

Now if you move to Quebec (or Calgary) and there are language preferences by employer - that's a personal thing for you, not a demand from bystanders.

I'm sorry I wasn't clear... long day.

I simply think it's reasonable for an employer to prefer hiring an employee who can communicate with colleagues, customers, managers, etc.

If some immigrants are off the job market, or doing freelance, or being able to work in another language and that they prefer not to learn the local language good for them - one less thing to worry about!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
I became fluent in French, better spoken-French than many anglophone Canadians!

oh - but that's easy.

IMO - it's the Francophones that you need to trump ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline
I'm sorry I wasn't clear... long day.

I simply think it's reasonable for an employer to prefer hiring an employee who can communicate with colleagues, customers, managers, etc.

If some immigrants are off the job market, or doing freelance, or being able to work in another language and that they prefer not to learn the local language good for them - one less thing to worry about!

:thumbs:

oh - but that's easy.

IMO - it's the Francophones that you need to trump ;)

Good point! :lol:

Edited by trailmix

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agrea my thinking is I like the country here ( love my husband )

but if the people wouldnt be so damn picky on where they work this country wouldnt have that many unlawfull immigrants working here ,( yes I dont agrea with unlawfull employment but whats the point of complaining )

I been living here for over 2 years and when you hear people beach and moan about whats right and wrong

meanwhile they sit on theyr lazy butts and are to spoiled to get theyr hands dirty ,

well i say if you dont like it get up and do something productive for the country ,work at a mc donalds washing dishes.

no one takes anyones job if you realy want the job to be yours ,

just my 2 cents

129f for K1 visa filed in march 07 check my timeline for full info

03 March 2008 , received welcome letter and 2 year GC yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh

22 NOV 2009 to lift condition GC expires 22 Feb 2010

24 Nov 09 send in I 751 ( ROC , in VT )

25 Nov 09 Your item was delivered at 12:10 PM in SAINT ALBANS, VT 05479 to INS .

30 Nov 09 Check Cashed

21 Dec 09 biometric

On March 9, 2010, we ordered production of your new card.

12 March 2010 received approval letter in mail

16 March 2010 10 year Green Card received in mail exp date March 09 / 2020

April 14/2017 send N400 

04/25/17 credit card charged 

04/25/17 e mail NOA send 

05/01/17 hard copy of NOA dated 04/25 received in mail

05/06/17 biometric hard copy in mail 

05/19/17 Biometric appointment in Hartford CT 

07/17/17 Inline for Interview 

07/24/17 Interview letter in mail 

08/24/17 Interview in Springfield MA ... Yes Aproved

09/14/17 Oath Ceremony .... done I am a US citizen

09/22/17 Applied for Passport ( per reg mail ) 

10/04/17 got passport in mail  

10/13/17 got certificate in mail  , updated status with social security office 

AM DONE YEAHHHHHHHHHHH 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.