Brad and Vika

MIL visa application

119 posts in this topic

.... she can call her mom.

Don't get me started on the phone-a-thons. Stress is not required for that.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We have been through this circus 3 times already with denials each time. We are heading back on the 24th for 3 weeks and the MIL will interview again while we are there. I scheduled the appointment and mentioned that I would like to attend the interview as well but was told it is not possible even if I am a USC and inviting the MIL for a visit.

We have tried using our State Senators, and Congressman as well.....to no avail.

The MIL is retired, owns a house (not just a flat), helps care for her 84 year old mother, has her son & his wife, brother and others there to return to. She has traveled abroad before (Schengen Visa) and returned home.

We just do not know what the hell they are expecting. It is a very unfair system that relies on the subjective opinion of one person to approve/deny the request.

It is sad that any corrupt Oligarch with blood on his hands can come here at will. Hell, we even have friends here who have somehow managed to have their parent(s) visit even though they themselves are here on work or student visas and not LPR's.

Good luck. I hope she gets one. In the mean time we will keep trying until they are sick of seeing her at the consulate.

IR-5

11/01/2011: I-130 Submitted

11/04/2012: I-130 NOA1

04/19/2012: I-130 NOA2

05/04/2012: NVC Received

05/27/2012: Received I-864/DS 3032 Package

05/28/2012: Pay I-864 Bill

05/29/2012: Submit DS 3032/I-864

06/05/2012: Receive IV Bill online

06/05/2012: IV Bill Paid

06/06/2012: Payment Accepted

06/07/2012: IV Packet Mailed (Additional documents sent next day on 06/08/2012)

08/28/2012: Interview

We have been through this circus 3 times already with denials each time. We are heading back on the 24th for 3 weeks and the MIL will interview again while we are there. I scheduled the appointment and mentioned that I would like to attend the interview as well but was told it is not possible even if I am a USC and inviting the MIL for a visit.

We have tried using our State Senators, and Congressman as well.....to no avail.

The MIL is retired, owns a house (not just a flat), helps care for her 84 year old mother, has her son & his wife, brother and others there to return to. She has traveled abroad before (Schengen Visa) and returned home.

We just do not know what the hell they are expecting. It is a very unfair system that relies on the subjective opinion of one person to approve/deny the request.

It is sad that any corrupt Oligarch with blood on his hands can come here at will. Hell, we even have friends here who have somehow managed to have their parent(s) visit even though they themselves are here on work or student visas and not LPR's.

Good luck. I hope she gets one. In the mean time we will keep trying until they are sick of seeing her at the consulate.

Please keep us informed. Vika and I read so much on VJ about how easy this is, and although scary, it is good to hear a balancing opinion.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Please keep us informed. Vika and I read so much on VJ about how easy this is, and although scary, it is good to hear a balancing opinion.

Yeah, it's scary how hard it can be sometimes.... I cannot imagine if in-laws can't come here ever, that'd suuuuck.

I'm routing for all of you to get those visas nice and easy and soon

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

if in-laws can't come here ever, that'd suuuuck.

Not so fast.... :whistle:

That's actually one of the nicer things about having a MOB - her mom wasn't invited. I know, I know, it's like kicking a puppy, but really, who wants to deal with MILs? I have enough drama from my own family, I don't need hers too.

Apparently my wife understands this because she's never really suggested it too hard. I think she's enjoying the "no family drama" component and that nice 20,000 mile buffer.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Actually, you are the first I have read about that has had trouble. We know several couples from Ukraine/Russia and they all have had family visit, not just mothers and fathers, but all the siblings also. Anyway, I hope you have better luck next try.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Not so fast.... :whistle:

That's actually one of the nicer things about having a MOB - her mom wasn't invited. I know, I know, it's like kicking a puppy, but really, who wants to deal with MILs? I have enough drama from my own family, I don't need hers too.

Apparently my wife understands this because she's never really suggested it too hard. I think she's enjoying the "no family drama" component and that nice 20,000 mile buffer.

LOL. I actually have a great time with my MIL and wish Alla would convince her to come for a visit. So far she doesn't want to come here and Alla isn't pushing the issue either. Alla loves her mother best...from a distance. I think she is great. Visa Veteran would hate her, she still has a portrait of Father Joe in her flat! :lol: She says when she was a little girl "He made things better every year". If you ask her about all the people he killed, she says they "Probably needed killing" I am sure she has a hammer AND a sickle in the closet somewhere. She is glad her daughter has a home on a lake and with lots of property. We can catch fish and have plenty of grass to eat when the economy collapses and she sleeps well knowing her daughter will be well fed no matter what!

The first few times I went to the market shopping with her, I was impressed at the load the old woman could carry (assuming she normally carried the load she was giving me to carry) for several blocks and up 5 flights of stairs. I mentioned it to Alla. "Are you crazy?" said Alla "You think SHE carries all that? She loads YOU down like a mule, after all she has a MAN going to the market with her, she is going to take advantage of it" :lol: I am so naive sometimes.

I love my MIL. Her name is Raisa, now there is a classic Russian woman's name you do not hear so much anymore, I think Raisa Gorbachev took it out of favor. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Don't get me started on the phone-a-thons. Stress is not required for that.

:lol:

Should be a part of the process...or at least part of the Affidavit of Support! Prove you can pay the long distance bills.

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My MIL came last summer, I think she has a five year visa.... and expects to take up half my summer this year too.

SHe listed her job at a pre-K type place and I think I included a letter taking full responsibility for her.

Good luck with that Brad.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

My MIL came last summer, I think she has a five year visa.... and expects to take up half my summer this year too.

SHe listed her job at a pre-K type place and I think I included a letter taking full responsibility for her.

Good luck with that Brad.

MIL now seems to be changing her mind like a wind sock. One day she is upset that Vika is pushing her to visit, the next day she is "almost ready to get visa". In all fairness, she does have an pretty ill father and FIL to deal with, but she also cites issues like taking care of her dacha as reasons to delay. She gets my wife all wound up, and we all know who gets fallout ;) Last week she started complaining to Vika's dad about all of it and he apparently chewed her pretty good (I think Vika got to him first :lol: ). The next day she seemed very willing to start gathering the proofs. Two days later she was all worried about earthquakes or something and hadn't actually done anything. I generally just try to keep out of it - easy to do since my Russian isn't really good enough to have a conversation with MIL.

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We're trying to get my MIL over here to help with my wife's baby due in July. After getting an RFE while trying to get my wife's greencard restrictions lifted we're really sending a ton of documents to accompany her mom on the interview. Even though they say they "only" need the DS-160 confirmation and proof that she'll be returning, we are sending the following...

-affidavit of support

-joint checking and savings account proof

-ultrasounds, OB records, and other baby related documents

-both our passports copied

-tax returns

-wife's birth certificate, greencard, and social security card

I tried to explain to my wife that the embassy isn't looking for proof of relationship, they're looking for proof that she'll go back to Ukraine. But i guess it can't hurt to have too much info rather than too little. My wife was refused 2 tourist visas before she was finally allowed to come on a fiancee visa. So i totally agree the embassy just wants money and it's just hit and miss if you get a good officer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
We're trying to get my MIL over here to help with my wife's baby due in July. After getting an RFE while trying to get my wife's greencard restrictions lifted we're really sending a ton of documents to accompany her mom on the interview. Even though they say they "only" need the DS-160 confirmation and proof that she'll be returning, we are sending the following...

Based on what my MIL told me about the woman who interviewed before her I worry a bit about what you are doing. The woman who went to the window before her was going to help with her daughers new baby. She was asked how long she would stay and said she wasn't sure, probably a month or two but it depended on how long her daughter needed her. They denied her visa. My MIL went to the window and they asked how long she was going to stay. She said she was leaving on June 4th and returning on July 7th and they approved the visa.

They could look at your wives new baby as a reason to overstay the visa. I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear but I would suggest you go in with very exact travel dates. The nice thing is once you get one if it has been expired for less than a year you can get another without an interview and it is almost automatic. My MIL just got her second visa and is coming in a few months.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

They could look at your wives new baby as a reason to overstay the visa. I am sure this is not what you wanted to hear but I would suggest you go in with very exact travel dates. The nice thing is once you get one if it has been expired for less than a year you can get another without an interview and it is almost automatic. My MIL just got her second visa and is coming in a few months.

Good information, thanks!

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: IR-5 Country: Ukraine
Timeline

-affidavit of support

-joint checking and savings account proof

-ultrasounds, OB records, and other baby related documents

-both our passports copied

-tax returns

-wife's birth certificate, greencard, and social security card

I tried to explain to my wife that the embassy isn't looking for proof of relationship, they're looking for proof that she'll go back to Ukraine. But i guess it can't hurt to have too much info rather than too little. My wife was refused 2 tourist visas before she was finally allowed to come on a fiancee visa. So i totally agree the embassy just wants money and it's just hit and miss if you get a good officer.

Been there, done that. They didn't even look at ANYTHING other than the letter of invitation I sent her. Have her try to bring more supporting documents of why she will return. That should be her priority.

IR-5

11/01/2011: I-130 Submitted

11/04/2012: I-130 NOA1

04/19/2012: I-130 NOA2

05/04/2012: NVC Received

05/27/2012: Received I-864/DS 3032 Package

05/28/2012: Pay I-864 Bill

05/29/2012: Submit DS 3032/I-864

06/05/2012: Receive IV Bill online

06/05/2012: IV Bill Paid

06/06/2012: Payment Accepted

06/07/2012: IV Packet Mailed (Additional documents sent next day on 06/08/2012)

08/28/2012: Interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.