antda

Canadian VJers Commentary on Winter Olympics 2010...

221 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
Actually I was thinking that too lol

I mean the other countries had their kings too (kings of Norway and Sweden were at the curling finals, the Dutch PM was there for the speed skating event)... and Im sure they were super busy but its like a big deal right?

I was thinking that Obama could have been at the events -- maybe he didnt have to get air time (the air time of Harper was literally a few seconds max, and during the men's curling finals, I heard from the tv -- was making dinner then, that he was sitting with the women curlers who all wore their medals), but Im sure the teams would have appreciated having him there.

If this were the US President Obama would be there. Why would he be in Canada? This is Canada's games - and the athletes'.

Lol..I agree....It would have been better if all the heads of all the counties could come and support their atheletes...

And if the head of state from Norway, Sweden, and wherever else in the world can come to the olympics...Then why not the US president?

He only lives a few hours away by airplane..Not on the other side of the world....

Oh well..shows where Obama's priorities are...

I'm sure if it was the other way around....Canada's prime minister would have been to the other games to support the Canadian team....

Commerical break...Gee when is the parade of atheletes going to end.....

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
If this were the US President Obama would be there. Why would he be in Canada? This is Canada's games - and the athletes'.

I agree with you kathryn.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh yeah, did anyone catch the figure skating gala event last night? Tess and Scott were soooooooooo good and funny!!!

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Timeline

Think of the security production that is involved with anything to do with the US president. Think of the Athletes' moments - they are the focus for the Olympics, but Obama's arrival to attend an event would have stretched already very tight security measures and even compromised some of the athlete's abilities to focus on their events because they would have to 'make way' for the security needs of the US president. As much as we like to think that all heads of states are equal, they are not. It was great that the head of states for Norway and Sweden were able to attend. How much extra security do you think they required? Not nearly on the same level of disruption as President Obama would have caused. I think he rightly realized that the focus of the Olympic Games is on the athletes and not on political 'I'm there because I'm important' posturing. Prime Minister Harper had every right to be there and it would have been a disgrace if he wasn't. President Obama is really not in this picture - and shouldn't be.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
Lol..I agree....It would have been better if all the heads of all the counties could come and support their atheletes...

And if the head of state from Norway, Sweden, and wherever else in the world can come to the olympics...Then why not the US president?

He only lives a few hours away by airplane..Not on the other side of the world....

Oh well..shows where Obama's priorities are...

I'm sure if it was the other way around....Canada's prime minister would have been to the other games to support the Canadian team....

Commerical break...Gee when is the parade of atheletes going to end.....

Ant

Yea Obama had big things to do here in the states... yes health care reform is more important than the Olympics and he did call many of the Athletes to congratulate them.

The US has a lot going on right now... you can't expect the president to drop everything to attend sporting events.

Donne moi une poptart!

Ok..back to the show....

Some brunette girl is singing (anyone know who she is?)....

Some brunette guy is playing the guitar...singing with the girl......

Shots of the atheletes and the crowd.....

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Timeline

The brunette girl singing won the Canadian Idol competition 2 years ago and is First Nations - I missed the name, though. She is pretty big right now in Canada - from the announcer :) .

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Yea Obama had big things to do here in the states... yes health care reform is more important than the Olympics and he did call many of the Athletes to congratulate them.

The US has a lot going on right now... you can't expect the president to drop everything to attend sporting events.

True...and healthcare reform is good and all...

Now if only he can get that go through....(and other things to go through too...lol...definitely needs to work on immigration reform too...)

Gee..It isn't like he had to stay for the entire olympics...

Really...He could have spared 1 day out.....Would have helped the atheletes that way too....

He went to Haiwaii for a week or so for vacation...Why not Vancouver too?...lol...

Oh the singer is the one that was at the opening ceremonies...

Micky (something or other).....Won Canadian Idol...and is Aboriginal....

Was a good song...(something party..in the lyrics..said it was an olympic song...)

Commercial break...

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Timeline

I think if did show up, people would have complained about that... so people are going to complain either way. The US president pretty much has celebrity status and like Kathryn said its a huge security risk. Most of the winners are invited to the white house after the games anyways, and most get a phone call from the president.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have had the unfortunate opportunity of hearing his latest hit, "Baby" on the radio. With Ludacris. *cringe*

Anyway wasnt too into the opening act (singing act I mean)... I thought the audio was wonky at the start, and the music isnt my thing...

Finally married... and still married... ;)

Green card received: March 18, 2011

Removal of Conditions:

GC Expiration: March 11, 2012

Documents sent: December 13, 2011

NOA-1 received: December 15, 2011

Check cashed: Red said yes when asked

Biometrics: January 25, 2012

Letter approving 10-year GC: September 7, 2012

Production of 10-year GC: September 15, 2012

Cross country medals ceremony on now..huh? (thought they had those ceremonies before...I guess not..ran out of time maybe...)

Norway, Sweden, and Germany....

Playing the Norway national anthem and raising all the flags..

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

I think if did show up, people would have complained about that... so people are going to complain either way. The US president pretty much has celebrity status and like Kathryn said its a huge security risk. Most of the winners are invited to the white house after the games anyways, and most get a phone call from the president.

Oh well...We can't please everyone....

Lol...As for security..Don't they have those FBI guys.....That's more than enough security to a friendly country like Canada...lol....

Hope they get to celebrate and congratulate afterwards, regardless....

Commercial break...

Ant

Timeline

The 50 K race finished earlier today - it was the last event before the hockey game went into overtime. The medals for hockey were presented on the ice as many of the players had to leave right away since they have to get back to their regular competition schedules. Detroit is apparently playing in Colorado tomorrow night - with the Olympic team members on the ice. No resting on their laurels, apparently.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.