Tamara and Mehdi

A few cultural questions

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

It's the darn weather in Chicagoland. It's either snowing or freezing and the skies are always gray. When the weather is nicer he can walk to the library.

We will work this out. Right now he is reading about classes at our junior college. He found a course on being a bank teller. It meets for 8 weeks and covers everything a bank teller needs to know.

Jax (F)

Edited by ♥J+I♥

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would just like to remind everyone that sometimes something meant humorously isn't always seen that way. Gentle teasing and good natured fun is fine but try to make it clear that it is such so it doesn't get seen as mockery. If it was meant as mockery, then please don't go there again. :) Thanks!

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I would just like to remind everyone that sometimes something meant humorously isn't always seen that way. Gentle teasing and good natured fun is fine but try to make it clear that it is such so it doesn't get seen as mockery. If it was meant as mockery, then please don't go there again. :) Thanks!

I completely agree. :thumbs: :thumbs: It is very obvious that there are some people that enjoy being sarcastic more than they like to be helpful.

Tamara it seems like you guys are doing all of great things to get him prepared for the move here. My husband will be flying in tomorrow and as much as we have discussed everything I still know there will be culture shock and that it will only get better with time.

Embassy Journey

2009-11-15 : Case at US Embassy in Cairo

2009-10-26 : Medical Exam@4pm

2009-10-28 : Medical Exam results given

2009-11-09 : Interview Date @ 9am

2009-11-09 to 2010-01-21 AP

2010-02-02: Visa Issued

2010-02-06 : Visa in Hand

2010-02-11 : U.S. Entry

U.S. Journey

2010-03-01 : Social Security card received

2010-03-04 : Welcome to the US letter received in the mail

2010-03-11 : Green card received

2010-04-04 : Ahmad got a J-O-B (Alhamdullah!)

2010-05-22 : Ahmad got his DL

wedding.jpg

oBhem5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Thanks Nancy!! I know you can never be too prepared and no matter what there will be some cultural shock. Hopefully all incidents will be humorous and not serious. A part of me cant wait for that moment where I can look at him and go "see I told you so...you dont know everything" hahaha...Mehdi is just like my father thinking he knows everything until something doesn't happen the way he was soooo sure it was going to happen and its made for some comical experiences lol

I bet you're super excited Nancy for your husbands arrival...tomorrow will be a great day!!!!!

Even if he is physically an ocean away, his love surrounds me everyday...

You are not alone tonight

Imagine me there by your side

It's so hard to be here so far away from you

I'm counting the days till

I'm finally done

I'm counting them down, yeah, one by one

It feels like forever till I return to you

But it helps me on those lonely nights

It's that one thing that keeps me alive

Knowing that you wait for me

Ever so patiently

No one else knows the feeling inside

We hang up the phone without saying goodnight

Because it's the sound of your voice that brings me home

It's never been easy to say

But it's easier when I've gone away

Knowing that you wait for me

Ever so patiently

Yeah, you're everything I've ever dreamed of having and

It's everything I need from you just knowing that you wait for me

event.png

Maybe you're worrying for nothing. I disagree with the previous post that said ALL people who move from a different culture experience culture shock. Kamran did not. I asked him again right before I decided to add this reply if he was home sick for Pakistan or experienced culture shock. I must add that he never visited a western country before moving to USA. And although he loves loves loves Paki food he eats pretty much eats anything without complaint. I've never had to cater to him as far as food goes. Except he doesn't like the taste of pork chops and pork roast. He'll eat breakfast sausages, Italian sausages, little smokies, and pepperoni which I find really funny. Anyway, perhaps Mehdi will surprise you and take to small town USA nicely. It can happen!

Maybe you're worrying for nothing. I disagree with the previous post that said ALL people who move from a different culture experience culture shock. Kamran did not. I asked him again right before I decided to add this reply if he was home sick for Pakistan or experienced culture shock. I must add that he never visited a western country before moving to USA. And although he loves loves loves Paki food he eats pretty much eats anything without complaint. I've never had to cater to him as far as food goes. Except he doesn't like the taste of pork chops and pork roast. He'll eat breakfast sausages, Italian sausages, little smokies, and pepperoni which I find really funny. Anyway, perhaps Mehdi will surprise you and take to small town USA nicely. It can happen!

that's largely been our experience as well. (except for the whole sausage thing!) there's definitely no mold anyways when it comes to immigration and adjusting.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.