Tamara and Mehdi

A few cultural questions

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
We found the bidet at the Mediterranean halal grocery store. It cost about $35.00 and my husband hooked it up to the toilet. The water is a little cold for me so next time we'll try to invest in one with the thermostat for temp control.

We have always had a watering can available, but I like the idea of one that has flowing water.

I was wondering about the temperature ecspecially this time of year. :blush:

.·*¨) ¸.·*¨) ¸.·*¨*

(¸.*´ ¸.·´*'~*Ney~* (¸.*´~*

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free.

- JW von Goeth

----------------------------------------------------------------

A special shout out to a wonderful lady named Jenna and the love of her life Faut!!!

LAF~

Timeline for my wonderful son & beautiful future daughter

08/27/09 K-1 Package Mailed

09/01/09 NOA1

10/14/09 NOA2 (43 Days from NOA1)

10/16/09 NVC Recieved

10/21/09 Forwarded to US Embassy in UAE

02/21/10 Interview (173 Days from NOA)

02/22/10 AP

03/07/10 Visa is ready for pick up

03/12/10 They are going to Dubai for her visa

03/18/10 Visa in hand!

4/2/2010 POE - Washington DC

4/3/2010 Arrive in Memphis

4/7/2010 Marriage by Imam! 1st Wedding

4/9/2010 Cinderella Wedding! 2nd Wedding

Officially Husband & Wife!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

OMG I didnt even think about that!!! I am going to have to talk to him about that lol....and I wont be able to install one in this house so the water can will probably be a must!!!!

Thanks so much amysaid!!!!

Even if he is physically an ocean away, his love surrounds me everyday...

You are not alone tonight

Imagine me there by your side

It's so hard to be here so far away from you

I'm counting the days till

I'm finally done

I'm counting them down, yeah, one by one

It feels like forever till I return to you

But it helps me on those lonely nights

It's that one thing that keeps me alive

Knowing that you wait for me

Ever so patiently

No one else knows the feeling inside

We hang up the phone without saying goodnight

Because it's the sound of your voice that brings me home

It's never been easy to say

But it's easier when I've gone away

Ever so patiently

Yeah, you're everything I've ever dreamed of having and

It's everything I need from you just knowing that you wait for me

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

sorry to interupt the 'positive vibes' about how one cleans there azz but i think that should be the least of ones worries. I'd be more concerened about what the poster originally mentioned.

if she has a solid gold plated temperature controlled bidet waiting for him...big whoop....there's alot of other bigger issues that will have to be dealt with.

To the poster - you mentioned you live in "hillbilly town" does your SO have an understanding of what that means?

Wish you both the best of luck :thumbs:

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: Timeline

I took Ibrahim with me to measure a house in 'the country' and his first reaction was 'I am sooo glad we dont live here.'

I have seen alot of the guys come over and when they see where their wives live, it's not long til either A..they leave for a bigger city and take the wife with...or B. they leave for a bigger city and the wife stays behind.

If there is NO employment or education opportunities~~it is unreasonable to expect the man will have any interest in living in a small town. (unless he is from a village then he might just think he died and went to heaven)

Jax (F)

then he can use the garden hose to clean da bottom

Timeline

There are educational opportunities here..we have two universities here but thats it we are surrounded by corn fields!!! I am very aware that Mehdi will get bored here really quickly..so him and I have already made the decision that once he polishes his English and gets work permission he is going to begin looking for jobs elsewhere...he is highly educated and my father who is retired military and now works for DOS is looking at employing him as a linguist in the future since Mehdi speaks 5 languages...and when he gets a well paying job and we have have children I will stay at home since my job as an athletic trainer doesnt exactly give me much free time to raise a family...so we will go to whatever big city he wants to be in...so the place I live now is not really a problem since Im not insistant on staying here

I'm finally done

Ever so patiently

Ever so patiently

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Since I'm married to an Egyptian(-American), this isn't anything culturally specific to Iran, but just adjustment tips in general.

I know my husband would have gone bonkers if we had lived anywhere smaller. Our metro area is actually larger than where he came from, but the way it's laid out makes it seem more spread out and small townish. The fact that he doesn't see very many people walking around outside, and that he can't easily walk to get what he needs drives him crazy.

Here are some things that should be figured out ahead of time:

*Transportation. Is public transportation available? If not, can he drive? And if not, how will he get around? Having to rely on one's spouse for transportation sucks and can make job hunting difficult.

*Food. Does he have any dietary requirements? Any kind of bread he's particular to? For AbuS, he's just fine with whatever I cook (which tends towards zabiha indian and vegetarian), so long as he has his pita bread.

*What to do before the EAD. How prepared is he to find a job here in the US? Is his resume up to snuff? Does he know how to write a cover letter? All of this can be done before he gets here and in the time before he is authorized to work. Another good thing is to find a volunteer position. This not only keeps him busy and out of the house, but it also gives him potential references, which are essential for finding a job later.

I can't remember much else. I think I've blocked the whole experience from my mind :unsure:

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Palestine
Timeline

We are too! We’ve already discussed that Dads gonna hire him to work. Were going to by a huge downtown loft overlooking the skyline. Then by a couple of boats since we both love the water – were thinking somewhere in Miami. We’re going to hire a maid and a nanny (maybe a gourmet chef to come just 2-3 times during the week). I’m going be a stay at home mom. Hopefully when i’m not attending tennis lessons during the day I’ll have time for the spa. When he’s not working with Dad we’ll travel Martha’s Vineyard / Nantucket. Life is so peachy isn’t it. :luv:

*positive vibes ladies positive vibes*

Edited by me_4_musa

Palestine the world's largest open air prison

Filed: Timeline

Ibrahim was HERE for 5 months and for some reason~~he's struggling with adjusting these first 3 weeks. I wish I could sit home and read and study on the computer all day while someone else worked.

He's wanting to go places when I get off and all I want to do is sit down and chillax. He misses visiting with friends and going places. He knows there are universities here but they have requirements for admission, like placement tests and MONEY.

The ESL classes are closed til May. We have a foot of snow on the ground so he's homebound for the moment.

Friday we can go to the masjid, that will help for an hour or two. We go on Sundays, I have a womens class to attend and he reads with the men.

I guess we need to find some board games or card games to fill time. His 'cabin-fever' is killing him and frustrating me.

Good luck to the OP. Sounds like you and him are prepared for the adjustment.

Jax (F)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
We are too! We’ve already discussed that Dads gonna hire him to work. Were going to by a huge downtown loft overlooking the skyline. Then by a couple of boats since we both love the water – were thinking somewhere in Miami. We’re going to hire a maid and a nanny (maybe a gourmet chef to come just 2-3 times during the week). I’m going be a stay at home mom. Hopefully when i’m not attending tennis lessons during the day I’ll have time for the spa. When he’s not working with Dad we’ll travel Martha’s Vineyard / Nantucket. Life is so peachy isn’t it. :luv:

*positive vibes ladies positive vibes*

Smart azz! :rofl:

Hey, if positive vibes is what it will take to get a gourmet chef and maid while I am a stay at home wife please send them my way.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Isn't there a middle ground between rainbows and kittens (although I would argue that there is always a place for cats) and being completely and totally sarcastic and unhelpful?

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Timeline

luckly the university I work for has a LARGE number of international students who are working on becoming fluent in English so they have English classes he can take...and since I work for the university he can take those classes for free which is an added bonus. He is going to get a drivers license as soon as he can but he can walk everywhere around here which is what most people do all the time anyway...so he will see lots of people walking around and he wont have to rely on me before he gets his license. As far as food he loves fish and chicken with rice and we have some really nice farmers markets where we can get fresh vegetables. We also have alot of fresh fish stores around here so he is very happy about that. I have taken and sent him alot of pictures of the town I live in so he has been able to see what it looks and like and landmarks that are right by my house...although you never really know what its like till you see it in person!!

I'm finally done

Ever so patiently

Ever so patiently

event.png

Isn't there a middle ground between rainbows and kittens (although I would argue that there is always a place for cats) and being completely and totally sarcastic and unhelpful?

she was being funny not mean. it's not all seriousness, all the time.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a little insight?

My fiance is Iranian and has never been to the US. He has lived in Iran and Turkey his whole life. He tells me he "has enough knowledge from reading about the US that there will be no culture shock" when he finally gets here.( i don't think you can every really know unless you've been somewhere) I know its REALLY premature but I want to make sure he feels comfortable and at home when he arrives.( i have OCD about early planning) I have a lot of things in the house from the region from my mother and I travelling to Turkey and from my father who brings home things from over there every time he comes home. But I don't know very much about the Iranian culture. Ive tried looking stuff up online but haven't really found anything significant. I've talked to Mehdi about his life in Iran some but because of his situation it makes him sad to talk about his country and his life there, so I try not to bring it up often. So my question is can anyone give me any insight into the culture and what its like being married to an Iranian man ( I know every person is different so situations will vary). Maybe some "must haves" for him... I love him very much and would just like to understand better where he comes from and to be prepared to try and make his move here as smooth as possible! Thanks so much!!

Hi,

I hope I don't sound rude, but I would like to make sure I am realistic here.

No one can ever move to a different country and not go through the culture sock stage. Especially when it comes to two countries that are very different, in this case Iran and the US. It is very difficult to cope, especially because even Iranians in the US will be different than in Iran. It happens to every nation and every culture. There is an adaptation phase that goes on and without it, people will not be able to survive here and feel that they want to return to their own country. I don't mean to say this to scare you, because it seems like Mehdi is preparing himself for such a transition, which is a smart move.

In my own experience, I found out that understanding the differences in cultures and behaviors are key to realizing what surroundings have changed.

For example, in the middle east, when someone compliments you, the general reply is to humble yourself and give back and answer that what the person has said is very generous and kind and his/her observation is exaggerated since reality is much simpler. Actual example, "oh, you are so smart on figuring this out". A middle eastern answer is, "oh no, I was lucky in figuring it out, I am sure you knew it too". The western mentality is accepting the compliment and recognizing oneself and just saying a simple "thank you"

Although this seems to be a simple thing, but imagine this conversation in a job interview, the interviewer will feel that this person is not quite good for the company since he was 'lucky'.

Sorry for my rambling here, but I think your question hits a very sensitive and fundamental topic. It is best if you and Mehdi try to explain things to each other and not assume that the other person knows that, and as time passes, it gets easier and both of you will adapt to each others cultures.

It is such a shame of the current situation in Iran - or a visit there would be an ideal scenario for you.

Cheers!

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Ibrahim was HERE for 5 months and for some reason~~he's struggling with adjusting these first 3 weeks. I wish I could sit home and read and study on the computer all day while someone else worked.

He's wanting to go places when I get off and all I want to do is sit down and chillax. He misses visiting with friends and going places. He knows there are universities here but they have requirements for admission, like placement tests and MONEY.

The ESL classes are closed til May. We have a foot of snow on the ground so he's homebound for the moment.

Friday we can go to the masjid, that will help for an hour or two. We go on Sundays, I have a womens class to attend and he reads with the men.

I guess we need to find some board games or card games to fill time. His 'cabin-fever' is killing him and frustrating me.

Good luck to the OP. Sounds like you and him are prepared for the adjustment.

Jax (F)

Jackie,

Would it help if he went out and did things when you are at work? That would cut down on his cabin fever; and your annoyance that he wants to do go out when you get home from work and are tired, etc? Might not be feasible at the moment with the snow, but when the snows is cleared. Might make him feel like he's able to get out and get around while you're at work and he won't have cabin fever when you get home. Can he go to the mosque for Asr prayer? That will get him out, at least a little bit.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.