dxg68

Do you truly love your fiancé???

301 posts in this topic

It is somewhat depressing, I agree. Although to be fair, it's only two people here that are so militantly hateful. I happen to love the culture and people, and I won't make any bones about it. But I do get that for some guys, it's just not their cup of tea. I get that, and to an extent I can eve respect it. But to focus so much hate, venom, and bile on it...well I just can't suss it. For me personally, if I hated her culture and her people to such an extent, I'd have just looked elsewhere for a companion.

Take comfort in knowing that it's only a couple people. The vast majority of RU members are at least able to separate the people and culture of their bride's country from a USSR that hasn't existed for over 20 years. And take note too that the two trouble-makers who are kicking up such a fuss are well into middle age, and just can't seem to get over something that everyone else got over years ago. They are the exception that proves the rule. :)

I'm not sure who you are referring to, but I don't believe anyones culture has been "knocked" in this thread. My wife and I have differen't political views yet it has not interfered with our relationship. Maybe I missed some of those post you are referring to eh ?

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

I think for many reasons our American style food will always taste much different than there. Hell, I once went to a Subway there; got the exact same thing I normally get here and was like "what the hell is this?". Not that I make a practice of trying to find American things when I'm in a different country.

I can't believe you managed to find fajita's there. I got a really bad case of wanting some Mexican food when I was there last time and couldn't find anything close to it.

We accidentally walked into a Fridays in Minsk once - we had no idea, until they brought the menu. That was certainly quite different, even though I only ordered some wings, and I think they gave me perhaps 5. They weren't terrible, but definitely not "right." Usually we're only in Minsk for a pair of days at the start and end of a visit, and it winds up being the time that we dine out the most - in part from being tired from travel, and then the obvious at the end of the trip, where pizza.by occasionally comes into play, as well. :) Amusingly, my favorite restaurant is Belarusian, and we avoid the few American chains that exist. Even in Minsk, the most expensive meal we had was around $60USD, which included quite a bit - dessert and drinks, as well.

We didn't find real tortillas, really, they were more like a thin bread/wrap, so we improvised a bit. The sauce took quite some time to find, and was in a tiny section of sauces which were "International"..kind of. I forget the name on the hot sauce, it was pretty amusing, but add some fresh red pepper to it, and the end result was "close enough" :thumbs:

Mailed K1: Fedex to VSC Feb 19, 2010

NOA1: Feb 22

NOA2: May 17 (84 days, no touches, both SMS and email notice received a day later)

Rcvd at NVC: May 19

Sent on to Embassy: May 21 (in reality, May 24th)

Received at Embassy: May 26

Packet 3 received: June 1

Packet 3 returned: June 2

Packet 4 received: June 16 (emailed appointment date June 11)

interview: July 19th (Warsaw - APPROVED!!!)

POE: July 24th :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I only hope that many don't believe they "rescued" their partners from their former lives, or attempt to hold it over them somehow.

Most Russians I know are pragmatic, but still patriotic - they know the problems, now and in the past, and don't ignore them, but have pride in their country and themselves. Many still would choose to remain there, or might move out of necessity. There are also those worse off, that actively seek to leave, but while differences, pros and cons can often be discussed, I can guarantee very few would appreciate someone from a different country attacking theirs. It is their right to do so - they lived there; that "right" does not convey to others so easily, even a spouse.

This is the kind of shotgun generalizations that mocks truth telling. How do you know how all the millions of Russians feel about their country? Did you do a survey? How do you know the motivation of Russian women? Did you give them a polygraph? This is how many of you Russo-centric hotshots speak again and again. You're all experts on Russia merely because you happened to find someone who'd tolerate you...so now Mother Russia is your second home. Bull. Most of you have not lived in Russia long enough to see beyond your one or two week tourist fling in some city...probably Moscow...the most expensive city with the worst service.

Yet you all know all about the Russian people and just how wonderful and misunderstood they are. Again, Bull.

So all the rhetoric and hot air on the forum simply underscores how clueless and naive many of you are. Romantic notions and fairy tales don't reveal the truth about Russia or its people. I have seen a lot of things I don't like and have spoken of these from my perspective...and that's when all you jokers jump up and down and act like I burned the Russian flag. If Russia was such a great place, with great people, why do the women marry Americans? Most of you will say it had nothing to do with mail order brides or the internet or the women wanting to get out of Russia, or because they can't find a decent Russian man. No, you all somehow met your wife at a bus station or city park or whatever. It was just random. Bull.

Many of you could not cut it here so you went shopping in Russia. Own it and knock off all the high and mighty ####### about Russia as paradise. It's a nasty, dirty, polluted, dangerous place. My wife was threatened by the local mafia when she opened her business and knows the crooked police system all to well. She knows a woman whose husband had her killed and he got away with it. There is no such thing as wife beating in Russia. The police would never respond to a call for help from a wife. The thievery is so bad that people get solid iron doors over their regular door. Drunks inhabit the entrances and staircases of even fairly nice apartment buildings. You smell urine in all the elevators. Most public bathrooms are far worse than your average Texaco gas station.

The portions of food you get in restaurants is smaller than the average American appetizer. People smoke like chimneys anywhere they wish. If you don't continue buy something, you are asked to leave. It's a rude and offensive culture, at least out in the world of Russian commerce.

So, stop telling me about how the Russia people feel or how they live. You all don't have a clue. Even if you lived there for while, you live there with money and as an American. You will be treated accordingly. I spent a combined 6 months in Russia and I will not speak for all Russians...it's a big country with diverse races and subcultures. I formed my own limited views and opinions...some influenced by my wife and others from Russia. But I'm no expert.

Edited by visaveteran

Filed: Timeline

We accidentally walked into a Fridays in Minsk once - we had no idea, until they brought the menu.

Heh! How in the world do you accidentally walk into a TGI Fridays? If the garish signage doesn't give it away, the crazy uniforms will. :lol: I've never been into a themed restaurant over there, do they wear "flair" and bug you ever 5 minutes to see if you're *still* doing ok? :P

We didn't find real tortillas, really, they were more like a thin bread/wrap, so we improvised a bit. The sauce took quite some time to find, and was in a tiny section of sauces which were "International"..kind of. I forget the name on the hot sauce, it was pretty amusing, but add some fresh red pepper to it, and the end result was "close enough" :thumbs:

Fortunately, tortillas are dead simple to make, and so is salsa (in lieu of hot sauce) if you can find a jalapeño or something to spice it up. In fact, on our most recent trip back to the mother land, I was kind of amazed at all of the American style foods I could make with a little imagination. As well as burritos, I made a shepherds pie that brought the house down, and my quesadillas were also very well received. :)

Timeline

Amusingly, my favorite restaurant is Belarusian, and we avoid the few American chains that exist. Even in Minsk, the most expensive meal we had was around $60USD, which included quite a bit - dessert and drinks, as well.

Funny enough, one of my favorite places to go is an Irish Pub. No joke. And it put all the Irish Pubs I've seen here in the States to shame. Of course neither here nor there is truly an Irish Pub.

I also like how a lot of the breweries or cafes are a lot more laid back. You can go in, sit, relax and just have a nice pleasant conversation without having to wait an hour before you see a table. Most of the time there's not too many people as well; such a nice change of pace.

Fortunately Russia hasn't seemed to refine the art of capitalism yet, so it's also nice to go shopping around. You can actually walk around looking at things without the feeling the breath of some stranger in a store uniform on the back of your neck. Of course you'll get a little more pressure in the open air markets, but you can just walk away and they leave you alone. Well worth the trade in my opinion for the reduced prices though.

I like shopping around there, because you can get some really nice stuff there you can't get here. And let's be honest, most of the stuff in stores here is designed to look like you just rolled out of bed.

There's so many good things about Russia and I'm sure other FSU area's. I can't wait to go back and everyone I know that has been to either Ukraine or Russia say the same thing.

Then again, I guess I'm just getting nostalgic because I'm coming up on my next trip shortly here.

Timeline

Heh! How in the world do you accidentally walk into a TGI Fridays? If the garish signage doesn't give it away, the crazy uniforms will. :lol: I've never been into a themed restaurant over there, do they wear "flair" and bug you ever 5 minutes to see if you're *still* doing ok? :P

I laughed out loud when I read about the flair and especially about being harassed every 5 minutes, because I JUST added my reply that said the same thing. I HATE it when you're in a middle of a conversation and suddenly someone blurts out "Who's Ready for some PIE!", and it wasn't someone at your table.

Fortunately, tortillas are dead simple to make, and so is salsa (in lieu of hot sauce) if you can find a jalapeño or something to spice it up. In fact, on our most recent trip back to the mother land, I was kind of amazed at all of the American style foods I could make with a little imagination. As well as burritos, I made a shepherds pie that brought the house down, and my quesadillas were also very well received. :)

I can see we're going to have to start a cook book called "How to make Mexican in Russian".

Funny thing is Mexican food is so foreign to them. When my wife was here in the states, I took her to a Mexican restaurant and everything on the menu was nothing she'd seen before.

Fortunately Russia hasn't seemed to refine the art of capitalism yet, so it's also nice to go shopping around. You can actually walk around looking at things without the feeling the breath of some stranger in a store uniform on the back of your neck. Of course you'll get a little more pressure in the open air markets, but you can just walk away and they leave you alone. Well worth the trade in my opinion for the reduced prices though.

I like this too. The sales and marketing droids here have gotten so slick and polished in their attempts to part us with our money that it takes all the fun out of it. (not that I'm a big shopper, but sometimes I'm in a store just to browse, and if I need help I'll ask for it.) No wonder everyone is switching to online shopping. There's a certain "rough and tumble" aspect to shopping in Russia, especially in the bazaars, that's a little crazy and fun. Even the shopping mall can be an experience, especially the retailers with "personality."

I can see we're going to have to start a cook book called "How to make Mexican in Russian".

Funny thing is Mexican food is so foreign to them. When my wife was here in the states, I took her to a Mexican restaurant and everything on the menu was nothing she'd seen before.

:lol:

The only difficulties would be beans and corn if you wanted to make corn tortillas. Not sure how easy corn is to find, I never saw any. Pinto beans could probably be substituted with a little experimentation, and I'll bet some of them refry up pretty good. :D

My wife was pretty mystified the first time we went to a Mexican restaurant too. She basically gave up and had me order for her. Can't remember what she wound up having, but I remember that even though I couldn't taste any spiciness at all, she thought it was crazy spicy. :)

Timeline

This is the kind of shotgun generalizations that mocks truth telling. How do you know how all the millions of Russians feel about their country? Did you do a survey? How do you know the motivation of Russian women? Did you give them a polygraph? This is how many of you Russo-centric hotshots speak again and again. You're all experts on Russia merely because you happened to find someone who'd tolerate you...so now Mother Russia is your second home. Bull. Most of you have not lived in Russia long enough to see beyond your one or two week tourist fling in some city...probably Moscow...the most expensive city with the worst service.

Yet you all know all about the Russian people and just how wonderful and misunderstood they are. Again, Bull.

So all the rhetoric and hot air on the forum simply underscores how clueless and naive many of you are. Romantic notions and fairy tales don't reveal the truth about Russia or its people. I have seen a lot of things I don't like and have spoken of these from my perspective...and that's when all you jokers jump up and down and act like I burned the Russian flag. If Russia was such a great place, with great people, why do the women marry Americans? Most of you will say it had nothing to do with mail order brides or the internet or the women wanting to get out of Russia, or because they can't find a decent Russian man. No, you all somehow met your wife at a bus station or city park or whatever. It was just random. Bull.

Many of you could not cut it here so you went shopping in Russia. Own it and knock off all the high and mighty ####### about Russia as paradise. It's a nasty, dirty, polluted, dangerous place. My wife was threatened by the local mafia when she opened her business and knows the crooked police system all to well. She knows a woman whose husband had her killed and he got away with it. There is no such thing as wife beating in Russia. The police would never respond to a call for help from a wife. The thievery is so bad that people get solid iron doors over their regular door. Drunks inhabit the entrances and staircases of even fairly nice apartment buildings. You smell urine in all the elevators. Most public bathrooms are far worse than your average Texaco gas station.

The portions of food you get in restaurants is smaller than the average American appetizer. People smoke like chimneys anywhere they wish. If you don't continue buy something, you are asked to leave. It's a rude and offensive culture, at least out in the world of Russian commerce.

So, stop telling me about how the Russia people feel or how they live. You all don't have a clue. Even if you lived there for while, you live there with money and as an American. You will be treated accordingly. I spent a combined 6 months in Russia and I will not speak for all Russians...it's a big country with diverse races and subcultures. I formed my own limited views and opinions...some influenced by my wife and others from Russia. But I'm no expert.

Funny stuff. Hello kettle, arguing with the pot.

According to you, you are no expert, yet everyone else's opinion is obviously inferior to your own. Next time you attack someone, why not answer your own questions, or explain why the rest of the world needs to survey an entire population, while you do not. No one mentioned Russia as a paradise; every country has issues, our own included. Deal with it.

Oh wait, it's a DISCUSSION forum. People have opinions of their own. I would say you don't have a clue, and it's about more than Russian people. Good luck with that in life, hope it works out for ya.

NOA2: May 17 (84 days, no touches, both SMS and email notice received a day later)

Timeline

:) After we sat down, I wondered the same thing about how did we NOT know it was a Fridays. We just weren't paying too much attention, and came from the other end of the road - the entrance to Fridays is paired with a Belarusian restaurant, and we looked in there first, it was crowded with no tables, so we just 'went next door' without paying too much attention. We knew it was 'American-like sports bar,' but no clue until they menu came. Yes, I felt quite stupid, but hey, we were enjoying ourselves. :D

Heh! You did mention another I'd wanted to make - quesadillas. :thumbs:

Good idea on the 'Mexican cookbook for Rus/Ukr/Bel' to whomever posted it. :)

Timeline

I almost forgot to ask. I've actually been meaning to see if anyone can help me with the name of these sort of short Russian movies.

I asked my wife what they are called and she said something along the lines of "The Student".

The last time I was in Russia I got to see these short movies and they were absolutely hilarious. Even though everything was in Russian and I could only understand bits and pieces, I thought they were great.

They're old movies, probably made like in the 70's or 80's. I don't know the exact time, my wife just tells me they were made back when Russia was still communist.

It's about this guy who is a student and finds himself in a lot of different humorous situations.

Just to give you an idea:

One of the episodes is where he has to work construction with a guy who got in trouble by the law. And basically what follows is something like Tom and Jerry and in the end he winds up wrapping the guy up in paper and uses a stick to "educate" the man.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the actual translations of these short movies may be called. Or even if there is a translation out there. Would love to have them.

Timeline

I also like how a lot of the breweries or cafes are a lot more laid back. You can go in, sit, relax and just have a nice pleasant conversation without having to wait an hour before you see a table. Most of the time there's not too many people as well; such a nice change of pace.

I like shopping around there, because you can get some really nice stuff there you can't get here. And let's be honest, most of the stuff in stores here is designed to look like you just rolled out of bed.

There's so many good things about Russia and I'm sure other FSU area's. I can't wait to go back and everyone I know that has been to either Ukraine or Russia say the same thing.

Then again, I guess I'm just getting nostalgic because I'm coming up on my next trip shortly here.

One thing I noticed is very little price fluctuations from store to store on most items.

I'm with you on the no pressure shopping, very nice. Here there are some stores that you feel like a piece of cheese in the middle of rabid mice (sales people). They're easy to ignore, but after pushing the first few away, it's not terribly motivating to be 'nice and polite' over cutting them off and telling them to just go away. :blush:

The clothing stores in Belarus held American brands pretty dear - several hundred dollars for a pair of Levis. Of course, some things were dirt cheap, some very nice crystal and generally anything made locally was reasonably priced. It does put some perspective to things when you see how careful some are about their shoes and clothes. If I wreck a pair of jeans, no worries at $30, but at $200-300, generally making much less..I would start to get a little OCD about wearing and dirtying them!

The pastries in some cafes are great, and cheap.

I'm hoping for 4-8 weeks on the next visit, but we may be waiting until NOA2. Enjoy your trip back! :thumbs:

Well said! :)

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I almost forgot to ask. I've actually been meaning to see if anyone can help me with the name of these sort of short Russian movies.

I asked my wife what they are called and she said something along the lines of "The Student".

The last time I was in Russia I got to see these short movies and they were absolutely hilarious. Even though everything was in Russian and I could only understand bits and pieces, I thought they were great.

They're old movies, probably made like in the 70's or 80's. I don't know the exact time, my wife just tells me they were made back when Russia was still communist.

It's about this guy who is a student and finds himself in a lot of different humorous situations.

Just to give you an idea:

One of the episodes is where he has to work construction with a guy who got in trouble by the law. And basically what follows is something like Tom and Jerry and in the end he winds up wrapping the guy up in paper and uses a stick to "educate" the man.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the actual translations of these short movies may be called. Or even if there is a translation out there. Would love to have them.

The one you are talking about is a segment of the movie called "Operatsija Y" ("Операция Ы"). The protagonist's name is "Shurik". Played by Alexander Demyanenko.

Those are damn good movies. There's a lot of different titles, but they are not short movies.

"Operatsija Y" consists of segments:

- Shurik at a construction site

- Shurik taking an exam and unwittingly following a girl

- Three dumba$$es trying to rob a warehouse

I think I might be forgetting one though... but yeah, hit me up for the titles, or ask your wife!

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.