dxg68

Do you truly love your fiancé???

301 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You forgot what gives Russia and Ukrainian food that special taste...radioactivity.

Wow... just wow... and of course before that it was, um, lemme guess... COMMUNISM that gave the special taste?

You are just despicable

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Almost all food tastes better in Russia. I can't even eat some kinds of fruits and vegetables in the US without getting stomach problems. So many chemicals and strange, large sizes with neon colors. :blink: If you go to a farmer's market, it's OK. Go to a regular supermarket and nothing has any taste and every ingredient list is written in a foreign language of additives. HFCS makes rats get fatter at something like 5 times the rate of pure cane sugar. Maybe you have less choice and variety, but what you do get tastes better in Russia.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I would have to agree with the fatty beef. I'm not sure if it's the animal, or if it's just how they do the cuts though.

There's so many things I've had there which I like, it's hard to remember and name it all. They have really good sausages and cheeses you can't find here in the U.S., which is too bad. I hate fish in general though, so I can't comment on that.

It's the cuts.

It's a long tradition of preparing it that way, because fatty meats (especially pork, actually) helped with the vodka consumption :P

Basic chemistry there.

Tradition is more of a Northern (Siberia) thing. But it's really up to people to cook it the way they want.

In my family, we always cooked the meat lean and got rid of all the fat. Sh!t, I still do it when I cook here. Even with chicken...

As far as not being able to find stuff in U.S.... as much as I hate going to Russian stores, I go for the cheese and cold cuts.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

The food is better in Russia is just as I expected. They have better/cheaper breads, cavier, sushi, ice cream and mayo.......but what about everything else?

My wife was born and rasied in southern Russia near the Black Sea and has lived over 7 years in Moscow, so her comments are based on those life experiences.....

The quality, quantity and variety of beef, poultry, pork, veal and seafood and produce, even at the local WalMart compares to nothing like that in Moscow. Now when we go to Caputos and their huge produce section, or Pauline Market and their meat and sausage shop or Issacson and Stein's Wholesale/Retail fish market, she has never experienced anything like that.

Now we here are very biased living next to Chicago and it's huge ethnic population which in turn allows this variety to occur, at very nice prices. And living near Wisconsin gives us a very nice selection of nice cheeses.

Maybe where you all live you only have the local Piggly Wiggly to shop from and your views are biased because of it. I do know that after Alla met with Gary and Alla's Alla last summer in Moscow, my Alla was very concerned about the food and food prices from what his Alla told mine about her experience living in Vermont. She now understands the differences between the two areas of the US.

She is still amazed that we go to the grocer and come away with all this very nice quality food for such a low price. Why? is her only comment.

What she is really asking is, "Why can't it be like this in Russia, also?" She knows the real answer but still questions it. Maybe many in Russia do not question it and that is the real problem. Would you agree?

Edited by baron555

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belarus
Timeline

Batka Lukastinko is working both sides of the coin atm. He got mass loans from the Kremlin, and he just received the last installment of a $700,000,000 loan from the EU. I pray for the day a bullet finds his head. He's a criminal...murder, kidnap, extortion, etc... the list goes on and on. The younger generation in Belarus is ready for a change, but the old guard USSR thugs aren't willing to relinquish power. Belarus time is coming, and when it does I wan't to be there for the celebration.

As far as living in Belarus, I find the peoples of western Belarus...Brest region, Grodno, etc...more friendly than the peoples of eastern Belarus ...like Vitebsk and Orsha. They actually smile at you and converse in the stores in western Belarus.

My experience to date is with Western Belarus and somewhat with Minsk. People are mixed, but yes, many of them are friendly and decent enough. No arguments about Lukaschenko (sp?) really. People in general are afraid of him, but tolerate him, or maybe simply accept. The contrast in some people (government officials, police) is interesting - some of them have been quite civil and decent, others seems almost a throwback in time. While it can probably be discounted for foreigners, ironically, I've heard more than a few believing Belarus is less corrupt than Russia or Ukraine - possibly due to everyone *below* Luka being afraid of him.

If we did move there, I would do my best to avoid government or police problems, but besides that, and an occasionally unnecessary roadblock for visiting dignitaries (Putin, others), you could still live well enough there, if you wanted to. Some of the billboards are hysterical, though - quite a few, all happiness and smiles, or the ones saying working overseas is slavery. Or buildings 'renovated' for visits, and they only paint the front face of them, so things look better from the street. :bonk:

Mailed K1: Fedex to VSC Feb 19, 2010

NOA1: Feb 22

NOA2: May 17 (84 days, no touches, both SMS and email notice received a day later)

Rcvd at NVC: May 19

Sent on to Embassy: May 21 (in reality, May 24th)

Received at Embassy: May 26

Packet 3 received: June 1

Packet 3 returned: June 2

Packet 4 received: June 16 (emailed appointment date June 11)

interview: July 19th (Warsaw - APPROVED!!!)

POE: July 24th :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

It is somewhat depressing, I agree. Although to be fair, it's only two people here that are so militantly hateful. I happen to love the culture and people, and I won't make any bones about it. But I do get that for some guys, it's just not their cup of tea. I get that, and to an extent I can eve respect it. But to focus so much hate, venom, and bile on it...well I just can't suss it. For me personally, if I hated her culture and her people to such an extent, I'd have just looked elsewhere for a companion.

Take comfort in knowing that it's only a couple people. The vast majority of RU members are at least able to separate the people and culture of their bride's country from a USSR that hasn't existed for over 20 years. And take note too that the two trouble-makers who are kicking up such a fuss are well into middle age, and just can't seem to get over something that everyone else got over years ago. They are the exception that proves the rule. :)

I'm sure the "vast majority" will sleep better knowing you, our great judge, has blessed them with your approval.

In truth, you are the chief trouble-maker and, as you yourself owned, you're addicted to stirring up trouble. I only wish you were better at it. Then it might be more challenging. You're biases and prejudgments are always obvious and predictable.

Filed: Timeline

I do find they just cannot make Americanized food. What I mean by that are things like pizza for example. For myself, I find if I try anything that isn't inherent to the the culture or nearby cultures, then I'll be sorely disappointed. If I abide by the previous rule, then I find everything is sooo good and like nothing you will find here in the U.S.

Hehe...the first time you have pizza with mayonnaise on it, you'll realize you're not in Kansas anymore. :D (although I have to say, the taste did grow on me)

Almost all food tastes better in Russia. I can't even eat some kinds of fruits and vegetables in the US without getting stomach problems. So many chemicals and strange, large sizes with neon colors. :blink: If you go to a farmer's market, it's OK. Go to a regular supermarket and nothing has any taste and every ingredient list is written in a foreign language of additives. HFCS makes rats get fatter at something like 5 times the rate of pure cane sugar. Maybe you have less choice and variety, but what you do get tastes better in Russia.

We have a farmers market here every week, which we've been going to regularly over the last year. Fresh, ripe, organic fruits and vegetables make such a huge difference both in our diet and just overall quality of life. I like knowing that the plum I'm about to bite into won't have about a 60% chance of being sour and hard. I like that the vegetables I cook up in a stir fry are just bursting with flavor, rather just being a bland garnishment like before. Couple that with eliminating HFCS almost completely from our diet (a Herculean effort to be sure, it's SO damn hard to find food without it now), I've even lost weight that I've been packing around for years without really that much more exercise. The state of America's food supply is really a tragedy.

Timeline

It is somewhat depressing, I agree. Although to be fair, it's only two people here that are so militantly hateful. I happen to love the culture and people, and I won't make any bones about it. But I do get that for some guys, it's just not their cup of tea. I get that, and to an extent I can eve respect it. But to focus so much hate, venom, and bile on it...well I just can't suss it. For me personally, if I hated her culture and her people to such an extent, I'd have just looked elsewhere for a companion.

I couldn't agree with you more.

I mean, I'm ok with someone saying "I wouldn't want to live in ABC because of XYZ, but I can appreciate 123 about it". (I know, sounds like a Jasckon's song).

It does amaze me that a person(s) can downshift an area/people so much and then claim to be worldly though. And that's directed at both sides.

Take comfort in knowing that it's only a couple people. The vast majority of RU members are at least able to separate the people and culture of their bride's country from a USSR that hasn't existed for over 20 years. And take note too that the two trouble-makers who are kicking up such a fuss are well into middle age, and just can't seem to get over something that everyone else got over years ago. They are the exception that proves the rule.

This is true, and I aim to find the counter part. Due to the *cough* fair and balanced moderation system, it's just easier to turn the ignore list into a raging party.

Filed: Timeline

You can get good stuff, Baron, like I said--if you want to go to Whole Foods or the local Farmer's Market. Regular big store? No.

Whole Foods and the like are ok, but we've found that if you really want the good stuff, go to a farmers market. You'll pay less than Whole Foods prices for usually even better quality. And many of the sellers will let you sample their foods before buying.

Timeline

You can get good stuff, Baron, like I said--if you want to go to Whole Foods or the local Farmer's Market. Regular big store? No.

I guess I'm lucky: Whole Foods and Trader Joe's are both within a walking distance.

And Farmer's Market is maybe 20-25 minutes away (can go there couple of times a week if we want to).

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Somehow, Americans are willing to criticize and suspect their government and politicians, the education system bias, the corruption in the system, the quality of products and food, and anything else, as long as they are standing on the good old USA and talking to other Americans. Many of the problems are made-up mud-slinging or bad science, but others are well-documented and real. I can think of at least half a dozen recent, high-level scandals of political corruption. Yet somehow, when Americans leave the country or start talking to foreigners, they are suddenly "proud to be American," the government is almost infallible, and our education, industry, ingenuity, and agriculture are second to none. I can understand this on the level of jingoist practicality but the intellectual dishonesty is suffocating when you truly realize what is going on.

Now, we could argue all day about how propaganda, personal freedom, security, and economic mobility vary in degrees from one country to another. But in the end, you're just comparing shades of gray.

It's a mixed bag. I fully believe we need significantly fewer laws and less government laws in our normal lives. It would also be nice to see a government by "we, the people" sometime in the future, as well. I would say a number of citizens around the world can make similar claims, some with stronger arguments or more apparent disservices done to their citizens, some with less. So indeed, shades of grey.

Many things in Russia are better, like the quality of public transportation, the quality and price of many types of food, and haircuts, to name a few.

Public transportation - I would say the quality depends on where. For Belarus, I can generally agree, although avoid the train bathrooms. :blink:

Food prices are relative - it's cheaper than in the US, but unless you're living on a fat salary, are most things truly inexpensive? Breads, fruits, meats and some others - I would say are better for you, even if they don't always look better by being super-bright red or orange, and don't last for a month. :) Very nice chocolates and pastries, and it is nice to get a pastry and latte or espresso for a dollar or so.

Haircuts? :unsure: I assume you mean womens, right? :whistle:

NOA2: May 17 (84 days, no touches, both SMS and email notice received a day later)

Timeline

Thanks for your response. I wasn't being critical - but really curious. I tried to start a business in Belarus once myself, so I have some experience with one of your potential scenarios above. PM me if you want the detail. If you work for her dad, he might be able to shield you from some of the issues I experienced, but that might also put him on the government radar. My partners always said "we want the government to know who we are, but not really know us".

I love the last sentence - probably a wise idea. PM being sent. :)

Timeline

And OF COURSE this isn't a personal attack, right? :rofl:

You are so F-ing funny.... :rofl:

Dumping of highly radioactive wastes at sea has been banned

worldwide for more than three decades, still it has been revealed

that Russia (the former Soviet Union) has been dumping highly

radioactive materials in the Arctic Sea (more precisely the Barents

Kara Seas) since the late 1950s. This act has international

implications, especially in view of Russia's relations to the

Scandinavian countries (in particular Norway), as rich fishing

grounds could be threatened. The Norwegian Prime Minister said the

dumping represents a "security risk to people and to the natural

biology of northern waters" , and the former Minister of Foreign

Affairs Johan Jorgen Holst stated that Russian pollution was "the

biggest security problem Norway faces." Today scientists are

trying to assess what possible damage the dumping might have done

to the fragile environment of the Arctic region. *

Enjoy that fine Russia fish.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.