Josie Grossie

Do I need a Visitor's Visa?

52 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
But I won't have a job. So what can I do? I am employed NOW, and will be right up until August but then my contract is over. So while without a job, I thought I would visit my fiance for a few months. I thought getting a Visitor's Visa (with him as my sponsor) would be the best way to do this, but I guess I'm wrong.

Yeah...I'd plan for that to be a BIG problem.

Edited by Revenesque

08-31-07: MARRIED!

USCS JOURNEY

04-18-08 : Mailed I-130

05-28-08 : Received NOA2

NVC JOURNEY

08-26-08: Mailed Choice of Agent (DS-3032)

09-19-08: DS-3032 received. Notice to pay IV Application Processing fee

06-08-09: Paid $400 IV fee and $70 AOS fee

12-21-09: Mailed AOS and IV package

12-28-09: Failed Login

01-07-10: Case complete!!!

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

03-31-10 : Medical exam

04-27-10 : Interview date

11-12-10 : Received Visa

03-06-11 : USA entry

dVUNm7.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But I won't have a job. So what can I do? I am employed NOW, and will be right up until August but then my contract is over. So while without a job, I thought I would visit my fiance for a few months. I thought getting a Visitor's Visa (with him as my sponsor) would be the best way to do this, but I guess I'm wrong.

Unfortunately this could be a big problem as what other ties will you have? Bank statements and everything are good but I'd think that the two biggest links a guard would be looking for would be employment and housing. Just be sure that under no circumstances do you lie about how long you're going to visit for if asked, even if you think you're going to be denied entry, that's the biggest no-no you can do.

My wife has been back since June 5, 2007. Now we're just livin' man, L I V I N :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Yeah...I plan for that to be a BIG problem.

So, I have no options then while that K1 visa is processing since I won't have a job to come back to?

Unfortunately this could be a big problem as what other ties will you have? Bank statements and everything are good but I'd think that the two biggest links a guard would be looking for would be employment and housing. Just be sure that under no circumstances do you lie about how long you're going to visit for if asked, even if you think you're going to be denied entry, that's the biggest no-no you can do.

I'd never lie.

I will have bank statements, bills to pay, my family here, a place to live (WITH family, but where I do pay rent but am not on a lease) ... I don't know what else I can show them except an airplane ticket back home.

Edited by Josie Grossie

OUR JOURNEY

Nov. 2004: Met online.

March 2009: First visit in Canada.

July 2009: Josie's first visit to the US.

Dec 2009-Jan 2010: Josie's second visit to the US.

March 2010: Josie's third visit to the US. Will be filing for K-1 during the visit! :D

Timeline

As I have said before and like others--its totally unpredictable! Sometimes they dont even ask you any questions other than what is your purpose of this trip? One has to be prepared of course, and be prepared to be denied entry! Just never LIE, BUT never blab away! Be very direct/short with ur answers

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
You should change your name to Greedy Needy.

Bai.

How am I being either? I'm just asking questions and want clarification on how to do things the right way. If I can't, then I can't.

OUR JOURNEY

March 2010: Josie's third visit to the US. Will be filing for K-1 during the visit! :D

Timeline
So, I have no options then while that K1 visa is processing since I won't have a job to come back to?

If I were in your situation, I would find another work after my contract ends and make short visits to the US. If that's not an option for you, be prepared to be denied at the border.

USCS JOURNEY

NVC JOURNEY

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

dVUNm7.png

Timeline
If I were in your situation, I would find another work after my contract ends and make short visits to the US. If that's not an option for you, be prepared to be denied at the border.

Okay, thank you.

OUR JOURNEY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

A visitors visa wouldn't matter. They can deny you entry with or without a visa, it is just the same.

Sometimes people who say they have an American boyfriend/girlfriend, fiance/fiancee, or spouse at the border are sent to secondary and questioned. Sometimes people are asked for very strong and compelling ties to Canada, and sometimes people are asked for very specific things (usually a job or a lease) in order to be let in. However, there are also many cases where the crossing Canadian wasn't asked for anything. They were let through the border with very few questions and were never asked for ties. This probably happens more often than the questioning scenario.

However, if you show up at the border and say you are going to visit your fiance for 6 months, you tell them you haven't filled for a visa, and you don't have a job or lease to come back too, there might be a problem. Its the border guards job to screen people who they believe are a. threats to national security and b. attempting to move to and live in the US without the proper visa. Can you see how this scenario may make the border guard believe you are intending on going to the US, marry your fiance, and then adjusting status to stay in the US? From an objective perspective, I can see why someone would believe this.

Think of it this way, it doesn't hurt to try. If you tell the truth at the border about your intentions and they deny you entry then it is just that, a denial at the border. This will not effect your visa application in the future. So if you have nothing to lose, then try it. We're just trying to tell you that you need to be prepared in case they decide you are inadmissible, that's all. You may have a problem trying to cross this time, and you may not. You may have a problem trying to cross the second, third or fourth time, or you may not. Nobody call tell you for sure.

Good luck! :)

Timeline
A visitors visa wouldn't matter. They can deny you entry with or without a visa, it is just the same.

Sometimes people who say they have an American boyfriend/girlfriend, fiance/fiancee, or spouse at the border are sent to secondary and questioned. Sometimes people are asked for very strong and compelling ties to Canada, and sometimes people are asked for very specific things (usually a job or a lease) in order to be let in. However, there are also many cases where the crossing Canadian wasn't asked for anything. They were let through the border with very few questions and were never asked for ties. This probably happens more often than the questioning scenario.

However, if you show up at the border and say you are going to visit your fiance for 6 months, you tell them you haven't filled for a visa, and you don't have a job or lease to come back too, there might be a problem. Its the border guards job to screen people who they believe are a. threats to national security and b. attempting to move to and live in the US without the proper visa. Can you see how this scenario may make the border guard believe you are intending on going to the US, marry your fiance, and then adjusting status to stay in the US? From an objective perspective, I can see why someone would believe this.

Think of it this way, it doesn't hurt to try. If you tell the truth at the border about your intentions and they deny you entry then it is just that, a denial at the border. This will not effect your visa application in the future. So if you have nothing to lose, then try it. We're just trying to tell you that you need to be prepared in case they decide you are inadmissible, that's all. You may have a problem trying to cross this time, and you may not. You may have a problem trying to cross the second, third or fourth time, or you may not. Nobody call tell you for sure.

Good luck! :)

No, I absolutely understand why the border patrol could think it was suspicious. I just want to do things the right way, which is why I came here to ask :) So it's the fact that there will be a K1 visa in process that would bring up the red flag, or is it just the "no job to come back to" thing? I am sure unemployed people visit family/friends in the United States all the time, right? Or maybe I'm just naive about the whole thing, who knows.

Thanks very much for your polite reply. I appreciate it.

OUR JOURNEY

Timeline

Yep. Agreed here. Stack up the coffers as the cost for all this and moving and such is not insignificant. It won't seem that long once it's done and it will be WELL worth it rather than being denied. EVery single time I visited, I had all my letters showing proof of ties to Canada. Letters from both my employers stating when I left for vacation and when I was to return to work. A copy of my lease and a letter from my landlord and a boatload of other stuff. Getting denied would suck AND it would make future travel really difficult.

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline
No, I absolutely understand why the border patrol could think it was suspicious. I just want to do things the right way, which is why I came here to ask :) So it's the fact that there will be a K1 visa in process that would bring up the red flag, or is it just the "no job to come back to" thing? I am sure unemployed people visit family/friends in the United States all the time, right? Or maybe I'm just naive about the whole thing, who knows.

Thanks very much for your polite reply. I appreciate it.

I believe it's your unemployment status that's a red flag first, compounded by the fact you have a K1 visa in process that confirms your intention to immigrate.

USCS JOURNEY

NVC JOURNEY

MONTREAL EMBASSY JOURNEY

dVUNm7.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, having a pending K-1 petition seems to help people more often than hurt them. It shows the border guard you know the law and are intending on moving to the US using legal channels. It might be a good idea to try and file for the K-1 before your long visit to see your fiance. Another option may be getting paperwork and evidence together so when you get to the border, if they question your intentions you can show them the K-1 visa petition you are preparing and say you are going to file sometime in the coming weeks.

Unemployed people cross into the US all the time, for sure. But crossing into the US to visit family or friends, is different than crossing to visit a fiancee or spouse. There is a pretty big distinction to be made. You can't marry your uncle, then adjust status, but you can marry your fiance and adjust status! :lol:

A lot of us were very naive about this in the beginning, so you're not alone. I crossed for years to visit my then boyfriend, sometimes with 1 way tickets, and never with prof of ties to Canada. I was never questioned, and never had a problem, but I was lucky. You might be lucky too, but you may be one of the few they throw the book at, one never knows!

Timeline
Actually, having a pending K-1 petition seems to help people more often than hurt them. It shows the border guard you know the law and are intending on moving to the US using legal channels. It might be a good idea to try and file for the K-1 before your long visit to see your fiance. Another option may be getting paperwork and evidence together so when you get to the border, if they question your intentions you can show them the K-1 visa petition you are preparing and say you are going to file sometime in the coming weeks.

Unemployed people cross into the US all the time, for sure. But crossing into the US to visit family or friends, is different than crossing to visit a fiancee or spouse. There is a pretty big distinction to be made. You can't marry your uncle, then adjust status, but you can marry your fiance and adjust status! :lol:

A lot of us were very naive about this in the beginning, so you're not alone. I crossed for years to visit my then boyfriend, sometimes with 1 way tickets, and never with prof of ties to Canada. I was never questioned, and never had a problem, but I was lucky. You might be lucky too, but you may be one of the few they throw the book at, one never knows!

We do plan on starting the K1 process before the long visit. :) The long visit was tentatively planned for August/September while the K1 process, we were planning on starting next month while I am there visiting for a couple of weeks.

OUR JOURNEY

Timeline

why not just start it now!! Sooner u start, the better, as it can take awhile!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.