antda

Omitting Place of Birth on a US Passport....

220 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

nm

lol I like this pic :).

So do we throw in the towel all at once or one at the time? :).

Italian man, I don't know why you keep repeating this question.."what if they ask you what country you were born in?" My answer is if the COB is not in my American passport, I have a right to refuse to answer. Not lie, not deny, not approve, nothing, just decline to answer. Then those POE officers in the foreign country can let me in or not based on what I say or don't say.

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Ant,

Forgive me, but I don't quite get your issue.

If you travel to Canada, unless you formally relinquish your Canadian citizenship, you have to use a Canadian passport.

To get back in the US, by land, you might use your EDL.

However, if you ever fly, even to Canada, you will need both passports (Canadian to clear Canadian immigration, and US to clear US immigration).

There's no discrimination: US-born citizens do NOT have the option to leave their place of birth blank or to put down something else. And neither do you.

We already said why the US government does not allow to leave out the country of birth on anybody's passport, and I think we agree.

Anyways, let's say they adopt your idea and leave that information on a chip.

Those chips are made to be read by immigration officers around the world. While some other information might be just for the US Govt, other info, such as your name, citizenship, date and place of birth are for everybody.

So if you refer to having problems while coming back to the US, then the chip won't solve this, because the information is there.

If you refer to having problems going to Canada, you must use your canadian passport anyways.

Third countries: I think they could read the chip too. But even if they don't, you will most likely be asked where you were born.

For NickD: I don't understand your point. Let's say your wife gets a US passport without a place of birth listed and then you go to Colombia. Then at the Colombian POE she is asked where she was born. What is she going to do? Lie to them? Good luck with that.

If her place of birth was not on her passport, why would they ask her? If her place of birth was listed at the field office where she got her certificate, certainly wouldn't ask her. She interpreted the oath as saying as soon as she became a USC, they would toss a gun at her and send her to Iraq, took my army captain neighbor, a local recruitment officer, and me to convince that would not happen. But could if the enemy was at our front door shooting at her daughter. In that event and at her age, she said she would shoot back so took the oath.

Again we thought we could dispense with maintaining her Venezuelan and Colombian passports since I was hopping down with just my US passport.

I really don't give a damn what your opinion is fellow Italian, she is not a USC like anybody that was born here, this is not right and a very bad joke to naturalized citizens.

Like I said, she has no problem visiting Canada like Ant has, and in like manner, Ant would have no problem if she did obtain a US passport and use only that to visit Colombia. Because Ants' place of birth is shown as Canada, not Colombia.

Only taxes we are paying to Colombia is that stupid airport tax and only when we are leaving, wife is not a citizen of Colombia, but they are forcing her to be one. For crying out loud, she just wants to visit her mom.

Timeline

Oh, I switched our home country from Venezuela to Colombia, wife was a citizen of Venezuela when I met her, but that country is getting out of the picture. Though she spent most of her life in Venezuela, she wasn't born there and in like manner, just a naturalized citizen of Venezuela like in the USA.

But she has been a US taxpayer now for the last six years and has paid more taxes to this country than Venezuela and Colombia combined. She is married to a natural born USC that is also a veteran of a foreign war. And these stupid rules of MY Country and a hell of a more my country than GWB and Obama is hurting me just as well.

Least my step daughter was born in Venezuela so we only have one country to deal with besides the USA, she considers herself an American and has no intention of ever going back. This is my family that likewise, I had to prove to the USCIS. That's another story on how the sponsoring USC is kicked out of the picture during the naturalization process.

Not happy that we have these skull members of Harvard running this country besides being a bunch of spoil brat rich kids that were able to avoid the draft. Reagan beat the draft by making military documentaries during WW II and with that background managed to give a big portion of our country away that he didn't have to fight for. Clinton and GWB would have served under me where I would be kicking their spoiled brat butts getting them into shape to defend this country if it wasn't for our dual standard.

Our laws are their laws, not mine, and I don't like them, they are fuvking with my family and that is worth dying for.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

If her place of birth was not on her passport, why would they ask her?

I have been asked several questions wherever I traveled.

Certainly, if my country of birth wasn't listed in my passpots, I would have been asked what it is at some point.

If they suspect that your wife was born in Colombia, they simply would ask to see whether she is breaking Colombia's laws by entering with a non-Colombian passport.

Same thing as Mr. John Smith, who speaks English with a typical Brooklyn accent, would be asked at the JFK POE where he was born while entering the US on a French passport with no place of birth listed.

You keep repeating the very same thing....oath, USC, blah blah blah. It is NOT about that, we all get it, we are all American citizens and we have the same rights, in the US I add. We know that. (By the way, US-born citizens do NOT have the right to leave their place of birth out on their passport).

This is about other countries and being there. You have to respect and follow their laws. If Colombia considers your wife as a Colombian citizen, it might suck, but either she formally renounces to her Colombian citizenship, either she uses a Colombian passport there.

I might sound stubborn on this, but I all I am saying is that we must obey any laws of the country we are in, whatever they are.

I saw people freaking out on this board because they didn't declare a speeding ticket and then we want to travel abroad and not abide to local laws just because we have a blue passport? Quite a contraddiction.

Women can not drive in Saudi Arabia. Do I like that? No, I think it's disgusting. But you bet that I did NOT let my wife drive while we were visiting. And guess what? Had they caught her driving, they couldn't have cared less if she was flashing her US passport saying that in the US women can drive freely.

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Timeline

Italian man, I don't know why you keep repeating this question.."what if they ask you what country you were born in?" My answer is if the COB is not in my American passport, I have a right to refuse to answer. Not lie, not deny, not approve, nothing, just decline to answer. Then those POE officers in the foreign country can let me in or not based on what I say or don't say.

Hey, we totally agree on that. But usually when I travel somewhere my goal is not to have an ideological standoff with an immigration officer but to be admitted into that country.

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Huge amount of responses...

I suppose it is necessary to add country of birth because we were NOT born in the United States. This would prevent people like myself from being able to run for President. What's the big deal?

Edited by JoeCanuk

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Timeline

I have been asked several questions wherever I traveled.

Certainly, if my country of birth wasn't listed in my passpots, I would have been asked what it is at some point.

If they suspect that your wife was born in Colombia, they simply would ask to see whether she is breaking Colombia's laws by entering with a non-Colombian passport.

Same thing as Mr. John Smith, who speaks English with a typical Brooklyn accent, would be asked at the JFK POE where he was born while entering the US on a French passport with no place of birth listed.

You keep repeating the very same thing....oath, USC, blah blah blah. It is NOT about that, we all get it, we are all American citizens and we have the same rights, in the US I add. We know that. (By the way, US-born citizens do NOT have the right to leave their place of birth out on their passport).

This is about other countries and being there. You have to respect and follow their laws. If Colombia considers your wife as a Colombian citizen, it might suck, but either she formally renounces to her Colombian citizenship, either she uses a Colombian passport there.

I might sound stubborn on this, but I all I am saying is that we must obey any laws of the country we are in, whatever they are.

I saw people freaking out on this board because they didn't declare a speeding ticket and then we want to travel abroad and not abide to local laws just because we have a blue passport? Quite a contraddiction.

Women can not drive in Saudi Arabia. Do I like that? No, I think it's disgusting. But you bet that I did NOT let my wife drive while we were visiting. And guess what? Had they caught her driving, they couldn't have cared less if she was flashing her US passport saying that in the US women can drive freely.

Been an ongoing debate as to whether country of birth should be placed on passports for the last 50 years, more so of an executive decision than an act of congress. In that 1987 study 22 out of 25 countries said so much as to drop it, but that was the last study.

We know the law and already paid the bucks to start the process and while I love to drive, take a taxi in Venezuela or Colombia, people there drive like idiots and rather be in a position to sue than to be sued.

Just wonder if an Italian came here with an Italian passport with a country of birth in New York, USA, if this government would force him to become a USC. Even though he renounced his USC.

Timeline

Just wonder if an Italian came here with an Italian passport with a country of birth in New York, USA, if this government would force him to become a USC. Even though he renounced his USC.

Are you kidding me?

If an Italian came here and he is born in NYC, then he must be a USC unless he formally renounced to it in front of a consular officer abroad. And you bet he will be asked for a US passport at the POE!

AOS:

I-751

N-400

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

Hey, we totally agree on that. But usually when I travel somewhere my goal is not to have an ideological standoff with an immigration officer but to be admitted into that country.

You are one stubborn man. Not too often i get to chat with people who turn and twist it, bake and shake it like you do :). Don't get me wrong, it's great and what's even better about it is that you make sense and put my brain to work, so kuddos to you for that. :thumbs:

Logically, the officer might think i'm standoffish if he lives in a communist state of mind and has a case of unjustified power trip.If many US Passports don't have the COB on them, then the question would not arise in the first place, it will fall out of habit.

It is every person's right to decline to answer anything they don't feel comfortable answering and it's ALSO the officer's right to deny or accept me based on my cooperation at the border.

On the same note that we should spill our guts out no matter what question the POE officer asks us...what if he asks me a very personal question? And by personal I mean very personal...you get the idea. What would you do? Tell him? I would refuse to answer and that is my right. Unless he explains to me how the color of my bed sheets helps the border security, then asking me where I was born is THE SAME thing.

Edited by ziia

New Citizen of the United States and Proud of it!

Timeline

You are one stubborn man. Not too often i get to chat with people who turn and twist it, bake and shake it like you do :). Don't get me wrong, it's great and what's even better about it is that you make sense and put my brain to work, so kuddos to you for that. :thumbs:

Logically, the officer might think i'm standoffish if he lives in a communist state of mind and has a case of unjustified power trip.If many US Passports don't have the COB on them, then the question would not arise in the first place, it will fall out of habit.

It is every person's right to decline to answer anything they don't feel comfortable answering and it's ALSO the officer's right to deny or accept me based on my cooperation at the border.

On the same note that we should spill our guts out no matter what question the POE officer asks us...what if he asks me a very personal question? And by personal I mean very personal...you get the idea. What would you do? Tell him? I would refuse to answer and that is my right. Unless he explains to me how the color of my bed sheets helps the border security, then asking me where I was born is THE SAME thing.

No problem here, so far we paid Colombia enough money to buy food for a month, we can go without eating for a month and break even. But hey, we still can travel to Canada with a Colombian birthplace in my wife's US passport, they don't give a damn where she was born.

And it doesn't make a damn bit of difference which country you chose to be a citizen of, all that counts is where you were born.

Italian grandma came here and got herself naturalized, took six weeks back then, but when she got pregnant with my dad, decided to go back to Italy because she claimed, she didn't trust the doctors here. One good reason, they didn't speak Italian. That Italian birth certificate plagued my dad for his entire life. She had three more kids here, they didn't have that problem.

You should run for office, Italian_In_NYC, we need that kind of thinking in this country. I don't mind waiting in line three hours to get on a plane, doing that for my country, just because 27 Arabs came here legally to do some major damage. But what bugs me is how they move faster through inspection than I do, because the guards don't want to be sued for profiling. Also don't mind our police force being more than doubled to protect me against terrorists, as long as I am driving 23 in a 25, but don't dare hit 26 or I will be waiting in another long line to pay my speeding ticket.

Seen Homeland Security spent millions to barb wire in all the airports I service, fear of a terrorist swiping a Piper Cub and flying into the Sears Tower. Cheapass padlocks they installed, have to carry a pair of bolt cutters to get in with a spare lock as the locks are all rusted. Terrorists are too dumb to carry a pair of bolt cutters, we are way ahead of them on this.

Also happy our government decided to fight terrorist in Iraq so our federal tax dollars can go there instead of our state. Doubled the tuition, but I still send my step-daughter to college and even not pay additional income taxes on the first measly four thousand bucks, hey, that is a big break. Also drastic increases in property taxes and many new sales tax.

So why should I be concerned about giving money to Colombia so my wife can visit her mom because of another strange executive order? Told my wife, she can stay here, and I can visit her, because I am a natural born USC.

Bottom line of all this stuff, is just money, my money, hell, I love working my a$$ off to have my money taken away and we are fighting for our safety and freedom.

USA can build a building 2 miles square and 200 stories high that would offer enough space for 310 million eight foot square padded cells, can lock all of us in there so we can be safe. Screw freedom, as long as we are safe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.