Alex+R

"All those Somalis wash their feet in the toilets"

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So today I am preparing to do a project in the security badge office of the local int'l airport. This 20-25-y-old guy is showing our group around the building. He says, "hey, be careful about using the 3rd floor bathroom. Try to just use the 1st floor. Most of the Somalis, Eritreans and Ethiopians have not found that one yet."

"What's the issue with using that bathroom?" another girl asked.

"Well," said the guy, "All those people wash their feet in the toilets. I guess they didn't have them back home. They seem to think washing them in the toilet is a real good time."

#######?

How can someone be serious and say that. Does anyone know of what stereotype/actual practice he could be basing this story on? And why would anyone be washing their feet in the airport, in the toilet or otherwise?

I am just trying to understand this guy's perspective a little.

Filed: Timeline

Washing your feet is a cultural thing in many parts of the world. North Indians love to do it, you'll always see them lifting their pants a few inches above their ankles and then pouring water from the drinking fountain on to their feet. Never seen it in the US though.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

is running water a novelty to them?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

yea.. i think it's a culture thing.. in Thailand (long time ago) we would have a thing in front of the house for people to wash their feet before get into the house too.. in today world not many house stil have that but as soon as i got home (in Thialand) i feel the need to wash my feet - and also before go to bed i have to wash my feet (but dont have a "need" feeling in the US.. weird eh?) But in an airport and in a toilet? it's kinda weid for me too... But that man shouldnt be making that statement :angry:

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

So today I am preparing to do a project in the security badge office of the local int'l airport. This 20-25-y-old guy is showing our group around the building. He says, "hey, be careful about using the 3rd floor bathroom. Try to just use the 1st floor. Most of the Somalis, Eritreans and Ethiopians have not found that one yet."

"What's the issue with using that bathroom?" another girl asked.

"Well," said the guy, "All those people wash their feet in the toilets. I guess they didn't have them back home. They seem to think washing them in the toilet is a real good time."

#######?

How can someone be serious and say that. Does anyone know of what stereotype/actual practice he could be basing this story on? And why would anyone be washing their feet in the airport, in the toilet or otherwise?

I am just trying to understand this guy's perspective a little.

You shoulda asked him :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I'm friends with a number of somali refugees here in Minnesota, and haven't ever seen them wash their feet in the toilet, nor have I ever seen anyone at the local masjids do that either. When we make ritual ablutions (wudu), we do wash our feet, but usually you just put water in your hand from the sink and wipe it over your feet.

I can only guess that they're newer east african refugees and haven't aclimated totally yet. A lot of these people came from refugee camps, so I can only imagine what their plumbing was like there.

But on Somali culture, if you ever get invited to dinner at a somali's house, take up the offer! I've never been so well fed as I have by my somali friends. Mmmmmmmmmmm

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
You shoulda asked him :thumbs:

I just met the guy and it didn't seem an appropriate time. Dunno.

So it's cultural to wash feet... I've never been to any parts of the world like that, but that's actually cool. It's a neurosis of mine to wash my feet a lot anyway.

But is that the case with this group of immigrants? And I really doubt they'd do it in a toilet... eh

*edit: just read Rahma's post... Hmmm so perhaps this whole story was fabricated... I would love some Somali food, but I don't know any Somalis. I've only been to one restaurant. Yum, I'm really hungry right now anyway...

Edited by Alex+R

I would love some Somali food, but I don't know any Somalis. I've only been to one restaurant. Yum, I'm really hungry right now anyway...

Is that anything like Ethiopian? Been to an Ethiopian restaurant, best food I've ever had, anywhere.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

In Thailand they would have 'western' style and 'Thai' style (hole and foot pads). The western toilets usually have footprints on the seats. I asked my wife and she said Thai people thought it was too dirty to sit down on seats so they would stand just like they did with the Thai ones.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Timeline
In Thailand they would have 'western' style and 'Thai' style (hole and foot pads). The western toilets usually have footprints on the seats. I asked my wife and she said Thai people thought it was too dirty to sit down on seats so they would stand just like they did with the Thai ones.

yea and some sliped down and hurt themself.. seen quite often.. i prefer the Thai's one in a public bathroom anyway..

by the way.. our culture use water to clean ourself after we done our business.. that's why all the public bathroom normally have water hose and it'll be so wet everywhere when someone try to use it..that's why it looks so dirty to use and the seat will be wet too... noone would want to "sit" on the wet toilet seat woould they? But i do not know why have to clime up the seat.. it seems too dangerous and uncomfortable than just "pretend" sitting ;)

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
by the way.. our culture use water to clean ourself after we done our business.. that's why all the public bathroom normally have water hose and it'll be so wet everywhere when someone try to use it..that's why it looks so dirty to use and the seat will be wet too... noone would want to "sit" on the wet toilet seat woould they? But i do not know why have to clime up the seat.. it seems too dangerous and uncomfortable than just "pretend" sitting ;)

When discussing arab culture, some people joke that arabs don't use toilet paper. ewwwwwwwwwwwww. But, they forget to mention that they wash with water after using the facilities. It took me forever to get used to that while I was in Egypt, and when my family went, they brought TP with them.

I would love some Somali food, but I don't know any Somalis. I've only been to one restaurant. Yum, I'm really hungry right now anyway...

Is that anything like Ethiopian? Been to an Ethiopian restaurant, best food I've ever had, anywhere.

I haven't ever been to an ethiopian restaurant for a long time, but I vaguely remember they're similar. I like somali style bread better though. The spongy injira just doesn't do it for me.

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

When discussing arab culture, some people joke that arabs don't use toilet paper. ewwwwwwwwwwwww. But, they forget to mention that they wash with water after using the facilities. It took me forever to get used to that while I was in Egypt, and when my family went, they brought TP with them.

I haven't ever been to an ethiopian restaurant for a long time, but I vaguely remember they're similar. I like somali style bread better though. The spongy injira just doesn't do it for me.

i bet not many chew on their fingernails :lol:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

i bet not many chew on their fingernails :lol:

I bet water can also be used to wash hands afterwards. Shock, horror...

As I know it to be, the left hand is solely used for erm cleaning.

So if you do ever make it over to dinner at a traditional (I don't want to say Islamic as it's more of a cultural thing nowadays) family, don't use your left hand for anything, especially not eating.

Edit: I know my great-grandfather and grandfather (who were both Imams) used a boudoire often to wash their feet for the ritual cleaning before prayer.

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

Timeline

Yea.. not many place have toilet paper available to you in Thailand too (accept for big hotel and airport) but it'll be available to buy. We noamlly carry a small pack of tissue in our purse ever where we go. I personally think useing water is cleaner than a toilet paper anyway.. and use less trees too :whistle:

As I know it to be, the left hand is solely used for erm cleaning.

So if you do ever make it over to dinner at a traditional (I don't want to say Islamic as it's more of a cultural thing nowadays) family, don't use your left hand for anything, especially not eating.

That's also in Thai culture too. but we do clean our hand before come out of the bathroom :)

Edited by anya-D

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

in Algeria... at our parent's home and our apartment, there is a bathroom that is separate from the toilet itself. In the big room, there is a bathtub, sink, and then a small contraption that resembles a toilet, but it's not a toilet, it's there to specifically wash feet.