Ma Vie

My Fiance Denied Visa Today in Casa

31 posts in this topic

I want to say that 15 years is not that great of a difference. I am tired of not being told the specifics for denial, I am tired of it is okay for an older man and younger woman.. Who is to say the woman is not scamming the man, I have heard of that happening quite often.. I know we have a true relationship and I am lucky I can stop working and go there and marry.. I just am sick of so many being denied.. Let's address a reason I believe for the denial (as I sit on the phone and computer for the last 7 hours), it is because it is a country from the Middle East and the recent attempted terrorist act puts up a flag too. Thanks to everyone for the advice and I've contacted and sent emails to Casablanca and like I have mentioned have an interview with our local Immigration Officer and hopefully the Immigration Officer can tell me the next best course of action to take!

I wouldn't put much faith in what the IO tells you. Just my opinion after dealing with USCIS for the last 5 years.

All started with my first K1 denial in the Philippines 5 years ago and ended happily with my wife getting her US citizenship 2 weeks ago.

Been There Done most EVERYTHING involved with the process.

Ooops my first K1 that was denied turned out to be a GC scammer. Took me a couple years to find that out the HARD way.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in most of the world, a marriage between an older man and a younger woman is seen as not that unusual. in MENA, a young man's marriage to an older woman (especially past child bearing age) is seen as highly unusual, and outside the social norm. it is assumed by CO that any such marriage is therefore an attempt to circumvent immigration law, and engaged in for no purpose other than immigration benefits.

you may have a very nice relationship with this guy, but his society, in general, does not accept it as "normal". it is the perceptions of his society that give the CO the leeway to deny for validity of relationship. if you move to morocco and live there as man and wife with him for a year and can prove that his family accepted the relationship, their argument is impaired.

I am sorry but I take exception to your post, it may not be a social norm in Morroccan society but, Morocco isn't making the determination on if he recieves a GC or not, US law determinens this and in my opinion if he was denied simply because of a social norm in the country he comes from then he was discriminated against and that is against the law in the US

2007-08-21Met through dating site

2007-10-12Hubby's first visit/met me and picked him up in Davao International Airport

2007-10-17Officially engaged to my one and only love hubby & formally proposed in front of my family

2007-10-22Flew back to the US

2008-02-022nd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Cebu International Airport

2008-02-04Went into the US embassy Cebu to get his certificate of legal capacity

2008-02-05Flew back together into Davao City and drove to Tagum City

2008-02-27Our awaited precious moment the WEDDING DAY!!!!

2008-03-04Hubby Flew back to the US

2009-05-013rd visit of my hubby and picked him up at Hong Kong International Airport

2009-05-02We went to Hong Kong disneyland (pretty amazing)

2009-05-03Flew back together into Manila and got his balikbayan visa to stay here with me for one year

2009-12-24First time we celebrate together the Christmas Eve (very much awesome!)

2009-12-31First time we celebrate together the New Years Eve (very much happy)

2010-01-07We celebrate together on his Birthday!

2010-01-15Celebrate together on his cutie wifey Birthday!

2010-01-25Sent I-130

2010-01-27Manila consulate received

2010-03-31I-130 approved(66 days)

2010-04-15NOA2 received

2010-04-22Packet 3 received(YaY)

2010-04-24DS230I & DS2001 Sent

2010-04-26Manila consulate received

2010-05-06Packet 4 received(Yepeyy)

2010-05-26-MEDICAL 7:00am(Passed)

2010-06-17-INTERVIEW 7:00 AM VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you Lord !!!

2010-06-19 Recieved passport with visa via Air21 so fastttttt !!

2010-07-16 POE Detroit

2010-07-26 Recieved SS card

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am sorry but I take exception to your post, it may not be a social norm in Morroccan society but, Morocco isn't making the determination on if he recieves a GC or not, US law determinens this and in my opinion if he was denied simply because of a social norm in the country he comes from then he was discriminated against and that is against the law in the US

That's the idea yes, but that's not the practice. The CO's do look at social norms when interviewing people, hence the red flag when there is an age gap.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

i'm really sorry to hear that but i'm going to tell u something we have in Quran

(عسى أن تكرهوا شئ و هو خيرا لكم)

it means maybe that sad thing is a good one for u ,

dont give up , casa is lil hard as i did read from some ppl here

i'm still didnt tried it yet , bcz we still waiting for noa2 ,

i think ur fiance didnt answered the question why u dont marry a morocain wife correctly but that happened now

i hope hear gd news sooner abt u guys !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I want to say that 15 years is not that great of a difference. I am tired of not being told the specifics for denial, I am tired of it is okay for an older man and younger woman.. Who is to say the woman is not scamming the man, I have heard of that happening quite often.. I know we have a true relationship and I am lucky I can stop working and go there and marry.. I just am sick of so many being denied.. Let's address a reason I believe for the denial (as I sit on the phone and computer for the last 7 hours), it is because it is a country from the Middle East and the recent attempted terrorist act puts up a flag too. Thanks to everyone for the advice and I've contacted and sent emails to Casablanca and like I have mentioned have an interview with our local Immigration Officer and hopefully the Immigration Officer can tell me the next best course of action to take!

I'm not saying you specifically didn't do enough reading. I was making a general statement to another general observation in a post. On the other hand, you have NOT provided any interview details or other details of your case besides a reverse age difference. Clearly there were red flags in your case or issues during the interview that may not have been adequately prepared for in advance.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
That's the idea yes, but that's not the practice. The CO's do look at social norms when interviewing people, hence the red flag when there is an age gap.

First, I don't think we have enough information to be concluding the age gap was the most important issue in this denial. Nevertheless, Consular Officers are responsible for making judgment calls about the bona fides of a relationship based on the totality of circumstances including but not limited to such issues as social norms. I caution again that without details of the case and interview, even suggesting that lack of evidence of a bona fide relationship (though the most likely) is the reason for the denial. There are many other possibilities and usually the foreign applicant has a pretty good clue from what went on in the interview.

Meaninful assistance in this case is going to require the interview details and other pertinent factors be disclosed, whether here or to a professional.

The OP should also be aware that a local immigration officer works for the Dept. of Homeland Security, not the Dept. of State. Dept. of State makes all visa issue decisions. The immigration officer can provide a list of options, the OP already knows about but would not be in a position to advise about which option would be best, even WITH all the case and interview details.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Letters are letters and from family, indicating acceptance, they don't weigh much. Time spent together is always the strongest evidence of a bona fide relationship. The details of the interview questions and answers will be the best source of information on why the visa was denied.

Actually they do weigh more in some countries than in others since it is such a big thing to them to marry outside of their culture, and acceptance of their choice of spouse is up there. I know of a Moroccan man that married a Moroccan woman. His family didn't like her, and he eventually divorced her because of the pressure they put on him. He regrets it to this day, but that is an example of how important acceptance of the family is. Although again, it is a factor, but not an end all. I do agree that time spent together is a huge factor, but for some reason that didn't factor in on this particular case.

Morocco is most definitely a high fraud country. It is out of the norm to marry an older woman, and this does weigh in on the depth of their interview. I have to admit that if I were a CO I would step back at some of these relationships. Don't get me wrong, I am older than my husband as well. But we can't be blinded to facts.

As for the OP, I do believe that age difference is a factor on a tougher interview, but there must be something else that has struck them as odd about this relationship. Do you have other red flags? How did you meet? Does he have family here in the US? It is important to step outside of what you know about your relationship and take a look at it from an outsiders point of you. If you were a CO what would strike you as odd about this relationship? Be honest with yourself on the answer. Perhaps he is strikingly handsome and you are not so attractive. I am not saying this to be mean since I have no idea what you or your fiance look like, but again, think like a CO. Do you have pictures with his family and friends? This list could go on and on, so think through everything.

What some have been able to do is to stop the file from being sent back by way of a congressman or senators intervention. It is rare though, so don't count on it happening. And even if they grant you a second chance you have to be armed with proof of whatever it is that is causing them doubt. Otherwise it will still be sent back.

If it does get sent back then you need to ensure that the petition actually does expire. In some cases they decide to extend them. If they expire you are free to file again, or go back and get married and file the I-130. But again it is important to keep collecting evidence, and searching for the initial reason for the denial so that you can give them proof of all of their doubts.

Our case was a misunderstanding about family that lives here in the US. They jumped to the conclusion that they paid me to marry him and bring him here. They didn't tell us this with the denial, but we figured it out from the questions in the interview. We addressed it, as well as all of our red flags in our rebuttal letter. Our suspicions were confirmed for the reason of the return, but many never figure it out. We won our case, but it cost us an additional 15 months of waiting. Well worth the wait I might add. We have now been married over 5 years. He has been here for over 3.

Good luck and stay strong.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline
I have made multiple visits and yes letters are just letters! I was so organized and went over every last piece of paper and all papers were there and pictures.. As I am going over everything and we have been talking, the 3 things that "stick out" are "why he didn't fall in love with a Moroccan woman"; "our age difference"; and "all the information provided was SO organized".. My Congressman is trying to help and I have an appointment with the local Immigration Office this Friday to see if I should begin a new Fiance Visa, go back to Morocco to marry and live there as long as I can.. I will be going back again very soon regardless of whether we marry or not... This man who did the interview just laughed at every answer and the experience was so horrible and humiliating.. Every answer was correct, but now that I think of it the final question was "what will you do if you are denied a visa" and when my fiance said "I love her very much and want to be with her forever and she will come to Morocco and we will marry here", that is when the man said refused a visa! I also feel that it was decided even before the interview that our petition would be denied. We are not giving up!

I am so sorry this is happening to you, and thank you for sharing so the rest of us can try to prepare better. I read that someone said he answered the "why not a moroccan?" question wrong....what should they say then?? My daughter & I leave the end of the month to be there till Hicham can come here, so I'm hoping all that time of us being there will help. I'm preparing, just in case we get denied & need to get married there...will do the DCF, since we will be there for 6 months. Better to be safe then sorry. I really do hope you guys are able to get things figured out...like they say, everything happens for a reason :) Even though the reasoning in Casa doesn't seem to make sense sometimes. Just follow your hearts, and inshALLAH all will get approved.

Monica

VJ Timeline (see "About Me" for full timeline)

1/2009 Met Online

11/2009 1st visit to Morocco (2 weeks), Officially Proposed, Engagement Party!!

12/31/2009 K1 NOA1

2/26/2010 NOA2 APPROVED!!!

3/2010 2nd trip to Morocco (3.5 months)

5/18/2010 Interview Results: told to wait for call

6/14/2010 Visa denied per Section 221(g)

9/27/2010 NOID (Notice of Intent to Deny) Received

12/1/2010 NOID Reaffirmed & Returned for visa processing (back to Casa for another interview)

2/2/2011 Rebuttle Interview: APPROVED!!!

3/18/2011 VISA IN HAND!!

4/8/2011 Arrive in US through JFK (20 mins total time)

6/9/2011 MARRIED!!!

7/2013 Divorced

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

It seems we all had forgotten those in recent years with all the tension in Middle East and news about the terrorism, US immigration had gotten severe with their guidelines.

I know that for some marrying a woman, who is 15 years older does not sounds as a problem, but since 2001, US immigration had learned more about Middle East cultures and they do understand that 15 years is a great gap especially for a woman.

Most middle eastern men might say they don't want to have a child when they first meet an older woman, but when it hits the truth he will be looking to have a kid from his wife which will carry his family name.

If you both are in love and he wants a life time commitment, then go get married and file for that because then you will show that it was not just intended to come to the US.

My 2 cents

" She's my kind of rain"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i really hope he gets his visa soon.

USCIS

04/24/09 :mailed I-130

04/29/09 : NOA1.

10/12/09: touched.

08/11/09: I-130 APPROVED!..asking for i824.....

08/24/09: i824 mailed

08/29/09: NOA 1

10/08/09: i824 transferred to local field office, went to field office, they said they dont have any info, called USCIS, they said it was an error, i shouldn't have filed i824...expedite request....no response..

10/28/09: contacted congressman

1/29/2010: USCIS located my files

02/01/2010: received approval notices for i130 AND i824

NVC Journey

02/02/2010: NVC/case# assigned

02/03/2010: Gave email addresses to NVC

02/08/2010: DS-3032 received

02/08/2010: Sent in DS-3032 email

02/08/2010: Received and paid AOS

02/11/2010: AOS fee accepted/shows as paid.

02/11/2010: AOS document cover printed.

02/19/2010: IV bill available online

02/19/2010: Paid IV bill

02/19/2010: DS-3032 accepted by NVC.

02/21/2010: IV bill: shows as paid

02/22/2010: printed cover sheet

3/11/2010: sent AOS and DS230 (overnight) signed by J.Desmond.

3/23/2010: sign in fail!!!!!!!! and 1 year anniversary

3/23/2010: Case complete

3/24/2010: Interview date assigned

5/27/2010: Interview---Denied asked to submit waivers :(

9/28/2010: waivers submitted

3/04/2011: waivers approved!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

oh iam really so sorry to hear that u get refused now iam very worried cuz me and my wife in the same setuation she is older than me and we have big diffrance age i hope u can try to get seconed interview and if u found what is the soulotion for this red flag pleas put it here i love my wife so much and i dont know why they dont give u the visa to be with ur wife my case still pending iam waiting the noa 2 for the i-129 god bless u sister i will pray for u

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I totally understand what you are going thru. We first applied for the K1. My husband went to the interview alone in Jordan. I KNOW we were denied for our age difference (14 years) because the woman kept telling him I was too old for him! She laughed at our pics and made rude statements about my home state. It was humilliating!

That was Sept 1.... and on Oct 1, I was on a plane to Jorddan. We married Oct 6 and filed for the CR1. Still waiting the NOA2. I lived with him for 45 days and I am going back this month for 2 1/2 weeks. Praying the time spent together helps the case too! We took about 1200 pics this trip... and part of me wants to take every one of them into the next interview. We didn't take them for that reason, but because we both LOVE photography and there were so many beautiful things to see. :)

I know I will be at the next interview. Think we may have succeeeded the first time if I had been there. Live and learn!

So good luck. You are in my prayers! Just my opinion... but I say go marry him!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

First, I feel really terribly that this happened to you.. But your thinking on the age issue is a little one sided. I have a lot of Moroccan friends, and I know some of my fiance's friends.. I have dated more than one Moroccan man, both here in the states and in Morocco. And I can tell you that I haven't met one yet who wasn't concerned at all about having children -this is really the issue- to settle down, they want a woman of child bearing age. It is a matter of family honor. Even the drug ridden toxicos on the streets of Casablanca plan to have children one day. And the consulate officers are very aware of this. They live in Morocco, and are taught extensively about the culture in which they are immersed. While it's true that your fiance plans to join you and live with you in America, that doesn't change the culture in which he was raised, and they consider this during interviews. It shouldn't be the end of the line for your relationship- by all means, follow through! Go there and marry, stay as long as you can- immerse YOURSELF, so you can better address these issues when he interviews again. But you have to understand why this happened, if indeed it was the age difference that caused the denial.

I truly wish you the best of luck, and hope to hear good news from you in the future.

Sarah

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Im reading you entry and Im getting scared. Im older than my fiance and I hope we don't go though this. He's from the Middle East. I hope that the two of you get the happiness you both deserves. Im still waiting for my NOA2.

You will - be prepared. It's gonna happen. :thumbs:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.