Nizzy

Baby Corner

2,937 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Kel do you have a farmers market near you? a lot of that is supposed to be great quality with a lot less pesticides. We have a few around here, but we also live 10 miles next to a nuclear power plant, so I'd almost rather buy organic made in Mexico. lol

R.I.P. Diana

1982-2008

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Yea, We def dont have Safeway and King Soopers. I remember seeing them in Denver when Id go every year. We do have a Whole Foods but the closest one is 35 mins away. Im looking forward to Trader Joes now! Thanks everyone for your advice

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
what? That is so stupid and disrespectful. I had this kind of experience a few times when I was pregnant and then after Ben was 6 months old, people were telling me it is wrong to continue. It made me feel bad and like I am doing something 'wrong', but now it just bothers me that there are people who are just so ignorant to mothers. I always tried to avoid talking about bf with other people because of this kind of reaction. With the next baby I really don't think I will care anymore. When someone used to say this to me when I was a brandnew mom, I was kind of trying to make an excuse or didn't know what to say, and it really shouldn't be that way. I don't know why some people put such a negative stigma to bf mothers? I don't judge people who choose to formula feed their kids for whatever reason. It doesn't matter what someone chooses to feed to the baby but no one deserves an "EWWW". Sorry I could rant and rant and it's not even worth it. :blush:

It's funny cause it is another mom :wacko: . Very strange. I don't make excuses. When someone asks me 'why' I tell them to google it and leave me alone :lol:

@ Susita: Oh wow what a comment. Was that person a parent? Before I was pregnany I had always heard that you nurse for 6 months and that's it... I thought my SIL was weird, but then during pregnancy I learned so many new things! I don't care about people who thinks it's gross to nurse an infant or toddler. We just do what's right for us, and I worked hard on the nursing and am proud of it working out. Hubbie is sort of getting antsy about it, but oh well, he'll have to deal. I always point out how expensive that organic milk is he'd drink instead, hehehe.

Luis is totally against formula feeding. In Peru, the vast majority of mothers breastfeed and he doesn't see why we should waste money on buying formula when breastfeeding is free & the best for the baby. So I guess I'm lucky in that aspect.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Timeline

I don't buy organic, simply because the prices are so jacked up & we really can't afford it. However, we try as hard as we can to not eat processed foods and buy everything fresh. I make mostly everything from scratch & we eat a lot of fruits and veggies, all fresh produce (except peas, I buy them frozen. You couldn't pay me to pick the little peas out of the pods for hours LOL).

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline
Yea, We def dont have Safeway and King Soopers. I remember seeing them in Denver when Id go every year. We do have a Whole Foods but the closest one is 35 mins away. Im looking forward to Trader Joes now! Thanks everyone for your advice

Dominick's and Safeway are the same company. I remember moving from Chicago and being so homesick and finding that out was so exciting for me! hehe As a matter of fact, I am headed there now!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I wish I was still living in Vermont. We always grew our own vegetables and never used pesticides, etc, and it was always just hours old! Now, we just try to eat fresh vegetables and fruit, although I do send canned fruit and vegetables to the babysitter for her to feed them. I would love to go organic, but even with a greenwise Publix and Whole Foods, it is still way too expensive.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jordan
Timeline

We also do a garden every summer of tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, green beans, zuchinni, green peppers, the whole shebang. I wish we could do a garden all year. instead, in Chicago, you plant end of May (which is still iffy bc many years it frosts alot) and its done by August.

img_0169.jpgimg_0192.jpg

qo5Tm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

My parents grew a lot in the garden, but it's quite a bit of work. I'm going to order an Aerogarden to grow my own herbs in the kitchen cause they get expensive, and those I buy organic cause you eat them mostly raw and I want them pesticide free... BUt a small bunch of Basil even at Walmart costs $3, but I can't help it, I'm addicted to basil... Yummm.. My friend has one of those gardens and it works really well....

I think planting is end of May here in WY and then you get your stuff in August. We are planning on potatoes, parsley and onion, they are super easy luckily. We'll built some planter's boxes... But that's about it what I remember from gardening class in elementary school.... ;)

Organic stuff is expensive, but I try to buy as much as we can afford. I know down the road my kids will eat whatever they want behind my back prolly, so I'm trying to get the good stuff in him as long as he's little.... Oh well. I do think stuff will come down in prices though, I have seen already in the last 3 years! That's one of the reasons that I buy many things organic at Walmart (if feasible) cause when they see that lots of people want that stuff, they will carry more of it. They already started their own line of natural ice cream - not organic, but no HFCS or processed thingies in it. It's a sign that things change I think.

@ Zaidsmommy: If Dominick is like Safeway they should have good sales going on... You have to check their ads weekly, I hope they have the same deals as here. When we lived in NC everything was expensive, there was not even a reasonable priced place, everything was just ridic. The West coast was way better in that sense. I have no idea why there are such vast differences.

Mr. Jona decided he wants to eat my roast beef sandwich. I couldn't believe it. I made some roast beef earlier this week and put it on my sandwich, and man he liked it. He ate like 6 pieces of extra sharp cheddar (he surprises me daily!), some meat (the outer part that's cooked) and the bread.... Not a lot, but it's a start!

Edited by Anna C.

AOS

8-4-2006 Date of NOA's

1-4-2007 Green Card in mail

Removal of conditions

9-29-2008 I-751 delivered to CSC

12-29-2008 Green Card ordered :)

Citizenship

10-15-2011 Package sent to NSC

10-17-2011 NOA Priority Date

11-25-2011 Biometrics done

11-29-2011 In line for interview scheduling... woohoo!

12-20-2011 Interview scheduled ...received letter 3 days later

01-24-2012 Interview & Oath

Done!

Timeline

We have a smaller supermarket with a HUGE fresh produce department. Fresh herbs are .99 a bunch. It's all locally grown produce (well except for stuff that they HAVE to get from elsewhere, like mangoes, oranges (not native to NY). But we have a gazillion different types of NY apples :)

I'm in the mood for some fruit now :blush:

Filed: Other Country: Peru
Timeline

Similar story here, I try to buy organic here but is a little difficult to keep up with it. I 've tried to make Sofia home made food but she doen't like it, even when we where in Lima my mom tried really hard to make her food but she didn't like it, it got to the point that we had to buy Gerber or give her whatever we were eating. Here goes a question mommies, Sofia is refusing to eat her baby food, she just wants to eat what we are eating, is it ok if we start giving her our food? obviously nothing spicy but food easy to digest.

Susita@ Things have changed a little bit in Lima, I have a few mommy friends there and most of them are giving their babies formula or both and they were surprised that Sofia is almost a year and I still breasfeeding, I should say the new generations, 'cause my mom and aunts all them bf until were about 1 year.

sofsmile-1.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Argentina
Timeline
Similar story here, I try to buy organic here but is a little difficult to keep up with it. I 've tried to make Sofia home made food but she doen't like it, even when we where in Lima my mom tried really hard to make her food but she didn't like it, it got to the point that we had to buy Gerber or give her whatever we were eating. Here goes a question mommies, Sofia is refusing to eat her baby food, she just wants to eat what we are eating, is it ok if we start giving her our food? obviously nothing spicy but food easy to digest.

Susita@ Things have changed a little bit in Lima, I have a few mommy friends there and most of them are giving their babies formula or both and they were surprised that Sofia is almost a year and I still breasfeeding, I should say the new generations, 'cause my mom and aunts all them bf until were about 1 year.

We give E pieces of what we are eating but we also make him his own food as well. He loves his veggies and fruit. But it is frustrating - I can't wait till we can give him a fork and knife and say, "Have at it!" :thumbs:

Timeline

True, it's also Lima I sometimes forget that when I go to Peru we stay in a small town and things are a lot different. Most women in San Bartolo don't really work they stay home with the kids.

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Susita and others- I'm kinda surprised by the stories of people being grossed out when you say you are going to BF. That's just weird!! I don't know anyone who feels that way. Whether people I know had issues with it or not(I had issues, it did not go well BF-ing and Kavi only go some b-milk the first couple months b/c of pumping), I never heard anyone say it's gross. That stinks that people say that to you. :\ I know people who chose not to BF, but it was for various reasons. They didn't tell other ppl they were gross to try BFing.

Vi-I'm no doctor or expert but I think it's fine if she eats your food already! She is almost a year old. If it's balanced food and nothing that she might be allergic to, why not. :)

Edited by chri'stina

Married since 9-18-04(All K1 visa & GC details in timeline.)

Ishu tum he mere Prabhu:::Jesus you are my Lord

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Vi - my two were eating mostly table food by 11.5 months. They pretty much eat everything we do (spicy and all). They LOVE really flavorful stuff. We just try to keep lots of peppery and tomato filled things to a minimum. Hana was eating coucous tfaya (minus the couscous) like it was going out of style last night. It basically is chicken with cooked onions, raisins, cinnnamon, ginger, tumeric, pepper, and honey. The ginger really makes it spicy and her nose was starting to run. But, she kept on eating it and had no tummy issues later.

OUR VISA JOURNEY

02/24/05 - Mailed K-1 to TSC

03/18/05 - K-1 Approval from CSC

06/16/05 - K-1 Interview in Casablanca, Morocco

06/29/05 - K-1 Visa issued

07/07/05 - SO arrives in US

07/22/05 - Married in religious ceremony and reception with family & friends

07/25/05 - Married in civil ceremony

09/14/05 - Mailed AOS/EAD

12/28/05 - AOS/EAD biometrics in West Palm Beach

01/03/06 - EAD card arrives

03/08/06 - AOS interview and AOS approval in West Palm Beach

03/13/06 - Welcome to America letter arrives

03/18/06 - Green card arrives in mail

12/10/07 - I-751 mailed to TSC

12/26/07 - NOA receipt date (from transfer to VSC)

02/14/08 - Biometrics appointment

10/17/08 - Approval date

10/24/08 - Approval letter received

10/25/08 - 10 year green card arrived

10/06/09 - N-400 mailed to Texas Lockbox

10/08/09 - NOA priority date

11/06/09 - Biometrics

01/04/10 - Interview

01/13/10 - Oath Ceremony

Bx82m5.png