Brad and Vika

Flower Power

556 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

That would remove about 50-75% of the fun in my life. The weeding I could do without (and I decided this last time to install ground cloth and gravel to just get over that--which has been great so far). I guess I was just raised differently-- it was sort of an attitude of "it's your project, you wanted it, you take care of it." That sort of caught on until it has become so ingrained I cannot let go of things that are "mine". Works out fine though.

I think I'm more like Prince Charles with his need to putter around his own garden. Ammar knows that if we weren't saving for the loan, we'd have a million plants as well. i'm always dragging him to the garden center. I've decided I like starting things from seed more than plants so this is working out better anyway. i got really into parterres recently, the real vegetable ones as opposed to the formal use of non-edibles. It goes along with my interest in cooking. Thes best ingrediants cannot be bought usually, and the most interesting-- same thing. I have a thing for tomatoes, so I make sure to have at minimum 16 different kinds in all the colors... and I do have a soft spot for Russian and Italian varieties :)

That car just doesn't seem practical to me more because I cannot get over the cold-factor (or the hauling factor, but with the top down I bet I could get a lot into it). I cannot stand the cold, snow, any cold weather or even drafts. I like the heat. I like the desert. I miss home. :( Anyway, my car is perpetually warm and nice. I used to say i could always spot it in a parkinglot, but since I moved here I have discovered someone else who has my car. I walked right up to it the other day, put my key in the door, and then realized that it wasn't mine. In those 2 seconds I looked at it, i realized it's another girl too. She has stickers all over her car. I only have one sticker on mine-- my diving sticker from Catalina Island where I spent a while doing marine biology camp just before high school and getting certified in diving in the process (and learning to surf... best camp ever). When i went to buy a car, i had already said i wanted one that was seafoam green and there he was... just waiting for me. I don't think I'll be able to have another one though. Maybe black for next time.

If Jordan is the next time, then I'll have to get used to my husband's car. That car is weird to me. I've driven it a couple of times but it's hard for me to see out of, and I don't like the 2 second wait time for things to arrange themselves-- like the car lifting up-- when you start it. I don't like the smell of the leather interior either. That's so picky of me (but I do get carsick, smells matter to me). At least it's a 5-speed.

Oh, Alla is prissy, she has no problemns with bugs, dirt, greasy lawn mowers, putting gasoline in cars and other such horrible things. She has a husband for that. I make no bones about it and also do not consider it negative.

Alla loves gardening. She puts on shorts, halter top and low heels and points where Pasha and I are supposed to dig holes and plant things. all of which is better than digging holes without a beautiful woman nearby in low heels, shorts and halter top (though Pasha would probably be more interested if Alla was 15...and not his mother) She goes to nurseries and garden centers (she LOVES those) and I follow behind with a flatbed cart and load up what she points at. LOL Sometimes two or three flatbed carts. Did I mention she LOVES those places?

Alla had a mini-van, she learned to drive a mini-van. It was a good practical All Wheel Drive (important in Vermont even for civilized roads) with a set of winter tires on rims, and good for hauling a teenage son and all his friends to various places. But then she saw a Pontiac Solstice and she shrugged off her soccer mom van and now will zoom around with a top down sports car! (when it is warm enough...maybe three weeks in July) I have to admit it is damn fun to drive but the thing gets stuck in snow on the driveway...not a good Vermont "winter car" and I am getting a bit tired of pushing her out of the driveway every morning. She lets me drive her car to get gasoline. It could carry a 10' board if you slung it under the car and tied it up to the bumpers. And if it was a 1x board. A 2x4 would probably drag the ground. Anyway that's what the van and my truck are for.

Oh, no problem Brad. It is just that I cannot feel comfortable being armed and talking about seafoam green cars. Just isn't appropriate, do you think?

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

:star: You never know. :devil:

Suit yourself (or brace yourself).

Oh, no problem Brad. It is just that I cannot feel comfortable being armed and talking about seafoam green cars. Just isn't appropriate, do you think?

And here I thought it was a postal thing. I feel that way about early morning meeting and conference call planning. Every time some one says "how about getting this done over coffee, say 7am tomorrow?", I have to remind myself how our lifestyle would change if I draw down on the speaker.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

And here I thought it was a postal thing. I feel that way about early morning meeting and conference call planning. Every time some one says "how about getting this done over coffee, say 7am tomorrow?", I have to remind myself how our lifestyle would change if I draw down on the speaker.

Yeah, but it's tempting, right? You haven't been around as much lately-- I hope everything is alright.

Yeah, but it's tempting, right? You haven't been around as much lately-- I hope everything is alright.

Getting used to my new anger management regimen and meds :lol: Seriously, everything is fine with us, and with you two as well I hope. My dad passed away just before Christmas, and we were out of the country for a week in January. Just really busy. Thanks for asking (F)

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Oh, Alla is prissy, she has no problemns with bugs, dirt.

Oh, that must be why she is still sticking around.

Alla loves gardening. She puts on shorts, halter top and low heels.

Now that's low. My wife loves gardening with high heels on.

Alla had a mini-van, she learned to drive a mini-van. It was a good practical All Wheel Drive (important in Vermont even for civilized roads) with a set of winter tires on rims, and good for hauling a teenage son and all his friends to various places. But then she saw a Pontiac Solstice and she shrugged off her soccer mom van and now will zoom around with a top down sports car! (when it is warm enough...maybe three weeks in July) I have to admit it is damn fun to drive but the thing gets stuck in snow on the driveway...not a good Vermont "winter car" and I am getting a bit tired of pushing her out of the driveway every morning. She lets me drive her car to get gasoline. It could carry a 10' board if you slung it under the car and tied it up to the bumpers. And if it was a 1x board. A 2x4 would probably drag the ground. Anyway that's what the van and my truck are for.

If you don't think this whole thing is just plain silly then don't complain about pushing her out of the driveway and be grateful she lets you drive the car to get gas.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

^ ^^^^^^

:lol: Flag color confusion.

You can tell it is the US half of the couple as Prague is WAYYYYYYYY too much fun to be populated with buzzkills.

Humor injection...stat.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
^ ^^^^^^

:lol: Flag color confusion.

You can tell it is the US half of the couple as Prague is WAYYYYYYYY too much fun to be populated with buzzkills.

Humor injection...stat.

Completely off-topic, but it's interesting, that it's easier to get around Prague while speaking Russian than speaking English

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Brad! Tell them..."Have you seen my wife? Here's a photo. Where do you think I am at 7am dude? Not "doing this" over coffee I can assure you! See you at 11 for lunch...you buy"

It can be hard to deal with other people married to American women.

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Completely off-topic, but it's interesting, that it's easier to get around Prague while speaking Russian than speaking English

This thread is on page 4, so that is now a valid subject. The way it was originally explained to me (a) year(s)? ago is in the (at the time just Russian) RUB forum, all questions are seriously answered within pages 1 and 2. Pages 2.5-3 are the beginning of veering off topic, and pages 3+ will devolve into talk of guns and pie. If you notice, I actually attempt to answer seriously within the serious parts, and after that I follow the other rule of it has become the zone for guns and pie. :)

On your topic, when I first went to France, I didn't speak French yet-- only German. I had an easier time getting around in German than English in Paris.

Timeline

My favorite city, it is where I met Alla by chance. It is true that most people in their late 30s or older speak Russian. I have had no trouble speaking English and found many people offended at Russian. I worked with a structural engineer from Prague, Alla spoke to her in Russian when she met her at a job site one day (neither of us can make heads or tails of Czech) and she was mightily offended, but DID speak Russian.

:ot2::lol:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Yeah, I've heard that people in the Czech Republic have... issues with Russian.

Strangely enough, I did find Russian useful in Italy, which apparently has a large Ukrainian population. Who knew? Went to a park outside Venice and it was full of babushkas sitting around chatting.

Первый блин комом.

My favorite city, it is where I met Alla by chance. It is true that most people in their late 30s or older speak Russian. I have had no trouble speaking English and found many people offended at Russian. I worked with a structural engineer from Prague, Alla spoke to her in Russian when she met her at a job site one day (neither of us can make heads or tails of Czech) and she was mightily offended, but DID speak Russian.

:ot2::lol:

I had the same experience in Lithuania. There are even schools where kids are taught in Russian (or English) there. People on the street refused to speak Russian. My ex asked several people on the street for directions, asking first if they spoke Russian (the question was in Russian). They all responded "nyet" - so they understood Russian fine, just refused to speak it. Our old town tour guide was Russian, and married to a Lithuanian guy - and her inlaws refused to speak Russian to her, forcing her to speak Lithuanian. Lots of occupation resentment there.

Brad! Tell them..."Have you seen my wife? Here's a photo. Where do you think I am at 7am dude? Not "doing this" over coffee I can assure you! See you at 11 for lunch...you buy"

It can be hard to deal with other people married to American women.

Good thought Gary, but not the direction I usually go at the office :lol:

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

That's not completely true. A lot of people know the "Can you speak -- insert certain language?" in different languages and know how to answer to that. That doesn't mean they can actually speak the language.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.