hconway

changing from a K1 to a K3

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Am wondering if anyone has dealt with the issue of changing from a K1 to a K3 after the process has been started. I submitted the I129F 6 weeks ago. I am concerned that this change will cause a significantly longer wait time. And I am not sure what to do. Would I have to cancel the I129F petition? How do you do that? I am trying to convince her that we can have a nice wedding in PERU first, but not make it legal until she comes to the US, so that we can continue to use the K1 visa. Any advice appreciated!

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

You would have to cancel the petition (but you don't get a refund), and re-start (and re-pay). There's a longer wait than with a K1 (which you're already partway through), but she'd have a full green card right away (and thus be able to work). With the K1, she has at least 2 months of not working (aka, the amount of time for the EAD to come through IF you were to get married that day and send in your AOS immediately), and a second payment of $1010, but it's faster.

People say it's cheaper than the K1, but it seems to be not significantly so - the difference seems to be the initial petition fee... which you've already paid.

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

she'd have a full green card right away (and thus be able to work). With the K1, she has at least 2 months of not working (aka, the amount of time for the EAD to come through IF you were to get married that day and send in your AOS immediately), and a second payment of $1010, but it's faster.

People say it's cheaper than the K1, but it seems to be not significantly so - the difference seems to be the initial petition fee... which you've already paid.

Not correct. With a K3, you still need to go through AOS, including getting an EAD (although no need for AP as the K3 is a multiple-entry visa). You may be thinking of the CR1 visa, which is indeed cheaper overall than either the K1 or K3, and does result in permanent resident status on entry to the US. The K3 used to be a lot faster than the CR1, which is why people historically applied for it. The timelines for CR1 and K3 are virtually indistinguishable nowadays, and if you want a spousal visa you are much, much better off applying for a CR1.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Timeline
Not correct. With a K3, you still need to go through AOS, including getting an EAD (although no need for AP as the K3 is a multiple-entry visa). You may be thinking of the CR1 visa, which is indeed cheaper overall than either the K1 or K3, and does result in permanent resident status on entry to the US. The K3 used to be a lot faster than the CR1, which is why people historically applied for it. The timelines for CR1 and K3 are virtually indistinguishable nowadays, and if you want a spousal visa you are much, much better off applying for a CR1.

Thanks for your reply. I have read the guides and am still not clear on the CR-1 visa and application process. Can you guide me to the right info? Much appreciated!

Thanks for your reply. I have read the guides and am still not clear on the CR-1 visa and application process. Can you guide me to the right info? Much appreciated!

What are you unclear about, specifically? Nobody can guide you through any better than the guides to, unless we know what's not clear.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Timeline
What are you unclear about, specifically? Nobody can guide you through any better than the guides to, unless we know what's not clear.

Okay, well, if you look at the VJ guide "CR-1 / IR-1 Visa and I-130 Petition Guide", up pops "Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for Relative (spouse) Outside the US" with no explanation of what is a CR-1. A few have replied that the K-3 is obsolete. Okay, but where is the CR-1. I know it stands for conditional residency..... Thanks for your help! Maybe there is another guide I am missing?

Okay, well, if you look at the VJ guide "CR-1 / IR-1 Visa and I-130 Petition Guide", up pops "Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for Relative (spouse) Outside the US" with no explanation of what is a CR-1. A few have replied that the K-3 is obsolete. Okay, but where is the CR-1. I know it stands for conditional residency..... Thanks for your help! Maybe there is another guide I am missing?

Ahhh, you need to be looking at the overview page, which gives you the comparisons and explanation of the differing processes... here ya go:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Okay, well, if you look at the VJ guide "CR-1 / IR-1 Visa and I-130 Petition Guide", up pops "Step-by-Step Guide on How to File an I-130 for Relative (spouse) Outside the US" with no explanation of what is a CR-1.

IR-1/CR-1 is an family based IMMIGRANT VISA

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
Am wondering if anyone has dealt with the issue of changing from a K1 to a K3 after the process has been started. I submitted the I129F 6 weeks ago.

Why would you do that?

I am concerned that this change will cause a significantly longer wait time.

Yes, for sure.

And I am not sure what to do.

Continue with the K-1.

Would I have to cancel the I129F petition?

Yes

How do you do that?

Send a letter.

I am trying to convince her that we can have a nice wedding in PERU first, but not make it legal until she comes to the US, so that we can continue to use the K1 visa. Any advice appreciated!

You are not supposed to be married when you use the K-1. Be very careful here.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline
Ahhh, you need to be looking at the overview page, which gives you the comparisons and explanation of the differing processes... here ya go:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=compare

THANK YOU !!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.