Gyenyame

Should I file I-130 now as LPR?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi all,

I've seen a few posts about upgrading I-130 petitions and all that but 1) didn't want to hijack someone's topic and 2) some have been going for years w/ lots of variations so it gets confusing. But basically, here's my situation:

I'm an LPR who will be filing N400 (citizenship) in March. I was thinking of filing the I-130 in February and then waiting for citizenship to upgrade later. I've seen on here and heard that the upgrades can be fairly quick but then there are some timelines where it takes months for the upgrade to occur. The lawyer I consulted also said that the upgrading is a waste of time and to just file when I'm a citizen.

So...I'm throwing this question out to all of you wonderful VJers: what do you think? Is it worth applying as an LPR now? Or shoud I just wait to become a citizen?

Thanks! (and also sorry if this question is so repetitive and thus, boring).

N-400 Application

03/19/10: Mailed N-400 to Texas Lockbox (USPS)

03/22/10: Received at USCIS

03/26/10: Assigned Priority Date

03/30/10: Check cashed

03/30/10: NOA received (dated 03/27/10)

04/05/10: Biometrics RFE received (dated 04/02/10)

04/28/10: Fingerprint appointment

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi all,

I've seen a few posts about upgrading I-130 petitions and all that but 1) didn't want to hijack someone's topic and 2) some have been going for years w/ lots of variations so it gets confusing. But basically, here's my situation:

I'm an LPR who will be filing N400 (citizenship) in March. I was thinking of filing the I-130 in February and then waiting for citizenship to upgrade later. I've seen on here and heard that the upgrades can be fairly quick but then there are some timelines where it takes months for the upgrade to occur. The lawyer I consulted also said that the upgrading is a waste of time and to just file when I'm a citizen.

So...I'm throwing this question out to all of you wonderful VJers: what do you think? Is it worth applying as an LPR now? Or shoud I just wait to become a citizen?

If you think you can pass and get US citizen less than 5 months then go head and wait to do it without upgrade latter. Otherwise file i-130 right now is a better option for your kid because you don't have to wait another 5 or 6 months to start to file with USCIS after you get your US citizen. My sister had the same case as you right now. She filed i130 for her child while she was green card holder. The USCIS approved her daughter case and sent it to NVC. Then after my sister got her citizenship, she upgraded with NVC by sent out the proof-copy of citizenship certificate. And just a few day later, she received a letter from NVC to process her daughter case right away. Good luck to you

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi all,

I applied for my wife and daughter before I applied for my citizenship.. now I am hoping it will be quicker.. but not sure how long this will take.. But I will post when I-130 get approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Hi all,

I applied for my wife and daughter before I applied for my citizenship.. now I am hoping it will be quicker.. but not sure how long this will take.. But I will post when I-130 get approved

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
If you think you can pass and get US citizen less than 5 months then go head and wait to do it without upgrade latter. Otherwise file i-130 right now is a better option for your kid because you don't have to wait another 5 or 6 months to start to file with USCIS after you get your US citizen. My sister had the same case as you right now. She filed i130 for her child while she was green card holder. The USCIS approved her daughter case and sent it to NVC. Then after my sister got her citizenship, she upgraded with NVC by sent out the proof-copy of citizenship certificate. And just a few day later, she received a letter from NVC to process her daughter case right away. Good luck to you

Thanks! I just noticed your reply. Yeah, I have heard that things in Baltimore are moving quite fast so my husband and I decided to wait to file his I-130 after I get citizenship (hopefully June or July since I apply in March via 90 days before rule and my LPR date was middle of June). Will be waiting and saying lots of prayers :)

Hope your sister's case for her daughter is going well!

Thanks for your response! I think my husband and I will wait since we are already so close to me applying for citizenship. Hopefully my N400 will go through fast and I can apply for him right away.

I saw your timeline and hope your cases go through quickly - all the best!

N-400 Application

03/19/10: Mailed N-400 to Texas Lockbox (USPS)

03/22/10: Received at USCIS

03/26/10: Assigned Priority Date

03/30/10: Check cashed

03/30/10: NOA received (dated 03/27/10)

04/05/10: Biometrics RFE received (dated 04/02/10)

04/28/10: Fingerprint appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.