Clinton76

Would my Dad or my sister be a better co-sponser?

56 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Will someone please clarify this ?

Yes the sponser needs to fill out a I-134 and the co-sponser needs to fill out a I-864 and not a I-134 for the interview! This is what the visa company told me and here is a letter from the embassy in manila. Hope this helps you!!!

Petitioners in fiancé(e) (K1) nonimmigrant visa cases are generally expected to provide the adequacy of their own financial resources to ensure that an alien, after admission into the United States , will not become primarily dependent on the US Government for subsistence. While our immigration law does not disallow joint sponsorships for K nonimmigrant visa applicants, the mere submission of an I-134 Affidavit of Support from joint sponsors is not sufficient to establish that the alien is not likely to become a public charge. Accordingly, we make a thorough evaluation of other factors, such as the sponsor's motives in submitting the Form I-134, the sponsor's relationship to the applicant or petitioner, the length of time the sponsor and applicant have known each other, etc. An I-134 Affidavit of Support submitted by a casual friend or distant relative who has little or no personal knowledge of the applicant has limited value. Unlike the I-864 filed by joint sponsors in immigrant visa cases, the I-134 is not legally binding and imposes no legal obligation on the joint sponsor to make good on his or her promises. Please be assured that we look at the totality of circumstances in assessing the credibility of joint sponsorships.

Echoing the advice of Tahoma, Bob4Anna, and others your co-sponsor should complete an I-134. The I-864 comes into play after your marriage and your then spouse petitions to adjust status.

My reading of the above paragraph is that the embassy is telling you why they want to see a close relative as a co-sponsor even though the law states that any US citizen or LPR can submit an I-134. The embassy doesn't feel comfortable with the "looseness" of the I-134 compared to the binding contract that the sponsor signs on the I-864. A close relative is more likely to honor their commitment to provide support than a "friend."

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Echoing the advice of Tahoma, Bob4Anna, and others your co-sponsor should complete an I-134. The I-864 comes into play after your marriage and your then spouse petitions to adjust status.

My reading of the above paragraph is that the embassy is telling you why they want to see a close relative as a co-sponsor even though the law states that any US citizen or LPR can submit an I-134. The embassy doesn't feel comfortable with the "looseness" of the I-134 compared to the binding contract that the sponsor signs on the I-864. A close relative is more likely to honor their commitment to provide support than a "friend."

WORD...............

:thumbs: I agree with you, Anh map. It really has nothing to do with the I-134 vs. I-864 debate.

Timeline

Just so you know, there is no such thing as a Visa Service doing business with the US Embassy in Manila. They are a business who needs to convince you to spend your money with them, towards that end they will say a lot to get your money.

Visa Journey is a online forum feed with daily updates from Visa Petitioners & Beneficiaries who are actually going through the process from start to finish. When the process changes VJ actually has more relevant information that the Embassy website may as our cache of knowledge is updated in real-time.

If you "Fiancée Visa Service" didn't warn you about the Red Flags in your case then they aren't worth the envelope that your payment was delivered in.

Why would they accept the I-134 for a Sponsor when it isn't legally binding? You're right it doesn't make any sense and yet they do it daily. I have seen the other Embassies actually use the I-864 for K Visas [can't remember which one(s) is is at the moment though].

Where is the thread/post on VJ that says Manila Embassy want the I-864 for K-1 Visas.

If you hold such a low opinion of VJ then why are you even bothering to ask us?

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE BOB4ANNA!!! BUT I'LL GET BACK TO YOU AFTER THE MANILA EMBASSY ACCEPTS MY SISTER'S I-864 WHICH IS THE ONLY LEGALLY BINDING WORTH OF ###### OUT THERE!!!

THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVICE BOB4ANNA!!! BUT I'LL GET BACK TO YOU AFTER THE MANILA EMBASSY ACCEPTS MY SISTER'S I-864 WHICH IS THE ONLY LEGALLY BINDING WORTH OF ###### OUT THERE!!!

Why are you here on VJ? :blink: Is it to show us how sarcastic, stubborn, and defensive you are? Well, I must say, you are doing a great job of that. And you still haven't even bothered to answer the questions that you were asked. Now you've reduced yourself to shouting and incoherence. With your attitude, I feel sorry for your fiancée. :wacko:

Timeline

Why are you here on VJ? :blink: Is it to show us how sarcastic, stubborn, and defensive you are? Well, I must say, you are doing a great job of that. And you still haven't even bothered to answer the questions that you were asked. Now you've reduced yourself to shouting and incoherence. With your attitude, I feel sorry for your fiancée. :wacko:

OH, NOW TAHOMA!!! YOU HURT MY FEELINGS, I'M ON HERE TO PROVE MY POINT!!! THAT I'M RIGHT AND THE VJ WORLD IS WRONG!!!! HAHAHAHAHA.....

Timeline

its time to whip out the Popcorn or have this settled outside at the parking lot (thats how Teamsters do it).......

By the way CLINTON, you are wrong, A I-134 is only what is needed. Why dont you try calling the USEM before showing your high intelligence.

Edited by -Jason and Rose-

OH, NOW TAHOMA!!! YOU HURT MY FEELINGS, I'M ON HERE TO PROVE MY POINT!!! THAT I'M RIGHT AND THE VJ WORLD IS WRONG!!!! HAHAHAHAHA.....

I see that you're still shouting...that's no surprise.

since this thread seem to get sidetracked anyways...

would a I-864 be legally binding for a K-1 Visa?

from the I-864

If you sign a Form I-864 on behalf of any person (called the "intending immigrant") who is applying for an immigrant visa or for adjustment of status to a permanent resident, and that intending immigrant submits the Form I-864 to the U.S.Government with his or her application for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, under section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act these actions create a contract between you and the U. S. Government. The intending immigrant's becoming a permanent resident is the "consideration" for the contract.

Under this contract, you agree that, in deciding whether the intending immigrant can establish that he or she is not inadmissible to the United States as an alien likely to become a public charge, the U.S. Government can consider your income and assets to be available for the support of the intending immigrant.

Point one: since a K Visa is a nonimmigrant visa, would that make the I-864 not legally binding since it states immigrant visa on the I-864 ?

Point two: Since a K-1 Visa has to get married before AOS, would a I-864 signed before the marrige be legally binding to the sponsor?

Edited by sunandmoon

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Clinton,

You do realize that your instance that you know everything and the very knowledgeable membership of VJ know absolutely nothing about the Visa Process is alienating the very people you can here to ask advice, right?

Our answers are based on personal experience and our motivation to help is because we want everyone who comes here to be successful in their own Visa Journey.

Sometimes the answer isn't what you want to hear but that doesn't invalidate the answer.

You might want to drop the caps-lock and relax a bit or you'll find your future threads void of responses.

I know when I was going through the process (which we completed successfully last November when my wife landed in the US) I made a few mistakes and was pointed in the right direction by my fellow VJers. I owe this forum a lot and that is why I'm still here 6 months after my wife's arrival, my little way to pay VJ back for the advice, support & friendship I found here.

BTW, you have too many Ns in Banana...

Edited by Bob 4 Anna

since this thread seem to get sidetracked anyways...

would a I-864 be legally binding for a K-1 Visa?

from the I-864

If you sign a Form I-864 on behalf of any person (called the "intending immigrant") who is applying for an immigrant visa or for adjustment of status to a permanent resident, and that intending immigrant submits the Form I-864 to the U.S.Government with his or her application for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, under section 213A of the Immigration and Nationality Act these actions create a contract between you and the U. S. Government. The intending immigrant's becoming a permanent resident is the "consideration" for the contract.

Under this contract, you agree that, in deciding whether the intending immigrant can establish that he or she is not inadmissible to the United States as an alien likely to become a public charge, the U.S. Government can consider your income and assets to be available for the support of the intending immigrant.

Point one: since a K Visa is a nonimmigrant visa, would that make the I-864 not legally binding since it states immigrant visa on the I-864 ?

Point two: Since a K-1 Visa has to get married before AOS, would a I-864 signed before the marrige be legally binding to the sponsor?

Point one is correct: a K-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa and an I-864 would not be legally binding in regards to a non-immigrant visa.

Point two is correct: the I-864 applies to immigrant visas and to K-1 visa-holders who are adjusting status.

Point three: as stated before in this thread, it probably wouldn't hurt if a K-1 beneficiary submitted an I-134 and an I-864 at the beneficiary's interview.

Point four: the USEM accepts co-sponsors on a case-by-case basis for K-1ers.

Posts containing personal attacks and insults have been removed.

Please confine your comments to useful information.

To OP, you have been given sound advice here but it is up to you to weigh all your options. Take into consideration the advice you received here and the advice given to you by the visa service.

Pinay Wife

VJ Mod Team

Well its makes sense with the I-134 having no legal value and the Filipina Fiancee Visa Service has been doing business with the Embassy in Manila for years so they should know what they're talking about!!! So I wouldn't lend much value to your opinion either!!!!

Clinton, you may want to read this:

http://manila.usemba...v/wwwh3023.html

Fraud Warning

Committing visa fraud or providing false information on your petition, visa application or to a Consular Officer may result in the revocation of your petition and/or a permanent ineligibility to travel, work or immigrate to the United States.

U.S. Embassy Manila neither endorses nor has a "special relationship" with any individual or business offering advice or assistance with the visa process. No one can guarantee the issuance of a visa to you. Visa eligibility can only be determined at the time of the visa interview. All U.S. Government forms are free.

Beware: Visa applicants may lose money or be permanently barred from the United States as a result of false information and fraudulent documents provided by so-called "visa consultants."

Timeline

Clinton, you may want to read this:

http://manila.usemba...v/wwwh3023.html

Fraud Warning

Committing visa fraud or providing false information on your petition, visa application or to a Consular Officer may result in the revocation of your petition and/or a permanent ineligibility to travel, work or immigrate to the United States.

U.S. Embassy Manila neither endorses nor has a "special relationship" with any individual or business offering advice or assistance with the visa process. No one can guarantee the issuance of a visa to you. Visa eligibility can only be determined at the time of the visa interview. All U.S. Government forms are free.

Beware: Visa applicants may lose money or be permanently barred from the United States as a result of false information and fraudulent documents provided by so-called "visa consultants."

So, i used the word business, my bad. still using the I-864 as requested by the visa service!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.