Clinton76

Would my Dad or my sister be a better co-sponser?

56 posts in this topic

^^^ A K-1 Fiancée visa is a non-immigrant visa...not an immigrant visa.

Jason is correct...a K-1 co-sponsor must fill out an I-134.

Also, the USEM considers co-sponsors for K-1's on a case-by-case basis.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

^^^ A K-1 Fiancée visa is a non-immigrant visa...not an immigrant visa.

Jason is correct...a K-1 co-sponsor must fill out an I-134.

also, the USEM considers co-sponsors for K-1's on a case-by-case basis.

That is true, but every k-1 visa case is the same and in my case my sister has to fill out the I-864 and I have to fill out the I-134. In some cases the I-864, is used on k-1's, even say's so on the VJ!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I-134s are to be used for K-1s.

The Consulate follows the I-864 guidelines when adjudicating the I-134 but you/your sister doesn't need to fill out an I864.

Not yet. Not until it's time for AOS.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

I-134s are to be used for K-1s.

The Consulate follows the I-864 guidelines when adjudicating the I-134 but you/your sister doesn't need to fill out an I864.

Not yet. Not until it's time for AOS.

Really, i dont know why this visa service is telling me my sister needs to fill out the I-864 for the interview and not the I-134, I will make sure, thanks!!!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If you want, have her fill up both.

She must have the I-134 filled out.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Country:
Timeline

Regarding if the USEM will accept Co-sponsors for K-1 Visa, there does seem to be a trend lately.

If the USC Petitioner is a young college student or recent college graduate then they are more lenient possibly because they recognize that college students don't have much income while in school but are generally in a good position to earn sufficiently going forward.

On the other hand I have not seen any mention of a CR-1 Visa being refused due to the presence of a Co-sponsor. I wonder if this is because the CR-1 Visa uses the I-684 forms which is legally binding whereas K-1 Visas only get to the legally binding Sponsorship forms at Adjustment of Status and it is conceivable that the Co-sponsor might change their mind between K-1 approval & AOS filing which would leave the Filipino stuck in limbo.

...every k-1 visa case is the same and in my case my sister has to fill out the I-864 and I have to fill out the I-134. In some cases the I-864, is used on k-1's, even say's so on the VJ!!!

Where on VJ does it say this?

Timeline

This is what the visa service is telling me, so I'm going with what they say and will let you know how it turns out!

The Manila Embassy is VERY STRICT about accepting co-sponsors. The I-134 is not legally binding and they will not accept it from a co-sponsor. She must use the legally binding I-864 to have any chance of success.

This is what the visa service is telling me, so I'm going with what they say and will let you know how it turns out!

The Manila Embassy is VERY STRICT about accepting co-sponsors. The I-134 is not legally binding and they will not accept it from a co-sponsor. She must use the legally binding I-864 to have any chance of success.

If that is true, then how do you explain the fact that other K-1ers have successfully used the co-sponsor's I-134?

Timeline

If you didn't get that info from the Embassy in Manila or a VJ member who was successful with a Co-sponsor on a K-1 then I wouldn't lend much value to that opinion. Have you bothered to read anything or do you just listen to the "Visa Service"?

Timeline

If you didn't get that info from the Embassy in Manila or a VJ member who was successful with a Co-sponsor on a K-1 then I wouldn't lend much value to that opinion. Have you bothered to read anything or do you just listen to the "Visa Service"?

Well its makes sense with the I-134 having no legal value and the Filipina Fiancee Visa Service has been doing business with the Embassy in Manila for years so they should know what they're talking about!!! So I wouldn't lend much value to your opinion either!!!! All you get on here is a variety of diferent answers which make your freaking head spin!!! So, yo answer your queastion yes I have read on here that the I-864 is used in so K-1 visa cases and not every case is the same and why would they accept a co-sponser using a I-134 and say it has no legal value what so ever????

Timeline

Well its makes sense with the I-134 having no legal value and the Filipina Fiancee Visa Service has been doing business with the Embassy in Manila for years so they should know what they're talking about!!! So I wouldn't lend much value to your opinion either!!!! All you get on here is a variety of diferent answers which make your freaking head spin!!! So, yo answer your queastion yes I have read on here that the I-864 is used in so K-1 visa cases and not every case is the same and why would they accept a co-sponser using a I-134 and say it has no legal value what so ever????

Just so you know, there is no such thing as a Visa Service doing business with the US Embassy in Manila. They are a business who needs to convince you to spend your money with them, towards that end they will say a lot to get your money.

Visa Journey is a online forum feed with daily updates from Visa Petitioners & Beneficiaries who are actually going through the process from start to finish. When the process changes VJ actually has more relevant information that the Embassy website may as our cache of knowledge is updated in real-time.

If you "Fiancée Visa Service" didn't warn you about the Red Flags in your case then they aren't worth the envelope that your payment was delivered in.

Why would they accept the I-134 for a Sponsor when it isn't legally binding? You're right it doesn't make any sense and yet they do it daily. I have seen the other Embassies actually use the I-864 for K Visas [can't remember which one(s) is is at the moment though].

Where is the thread/post on VJ that says Manila Embassy want the I-864 for K-1 Visas.

If you hold such a low opinion of VJ then why are you even bothering to ask us?

Well its makes sense with the I-134 having no legal value and the Filipina Fiancee Visa Service has been doing business with the Embassy in Manila for years so they should know what they're talking about!!! So I wouldn't lend much value to your opinion either!!!!

First of all, your visa service company does not do business with the USEM. It does business with petitioners and beneficiaries.

Anybody can start a visa service. What special qualifications does your visa service company have? Do they even have an immigration attorney on staff? How many K-1 visas have they gotten from the USEM using an I-864 instead of an I-134? How do they explain the fact that others have gotten a K-1 visa from USEM when an I-134 was used?

What percentage of your visa service company's clients who used a co-sponsor for a K-1 visa failed the interview for financial reasons when they used an I-134? Also, do they have a 100% success rate when their clients use an I-864 instead of an I-134?

All you get on here is a variety of diferent answers which make your freaking head spin!!!

You have been getting the same consistent answers from everyone, so why are you saying that you are getting different answers from everyone?

So, to answer your question, yes I have read on here that the I-864 is used in some K-1 visa cases, and not every case is the same, and why would they accept a co-sponser using a I-134 and say it has no legal value what so ever????

I have never read here on VJ about anyone using an I-864 in place of an I-134 for a K-1 visa, but I suppose it's possible. However, I don't think it's necessary. I say this because the K-1 is a non-immigrant visa. When a K-1 visa is issued, the beneficiary is allowed a one-time entry into the U.S. for the purpose of getting married to the beneficiary. If they don't get married during their 90-day window, the beneficiary must leave the U.S. When you think about it, neither an I-864 nor an I-134 would apply to a beneficiary who decided not to marry and, instead, leave the U.S.

On the other hand, if the petitioner and the beneficiary get married, they are required to adjust the beneficiary's status. That is the only way for the beneficiary to legally stay in the U.S. That is the time that the petitioner's true financial obligation will take effect, so that's the time to use the I-864.

Also, keep in mind that the I-864 is of extremely limited value. A legal permanent resident can collect few (if any) means-tested benefits for the first five years. Have you ever heard of the U.S. government coming after a petitioner to collect for means-tested benefits that were given to the beneficiary? I haven't.

When all is said and done, you have to decide for yourself what you are comfortable with. I have no problem with using the shotgun approach when it comes to a fiancée visa...so, why not use both the I-134 and the I-864?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.