Roy van Leeuwen

Should we get a lawyer?

18 posts in this topic

I asked a coworker of mine who also went through the immigration process, and the answer he gave me was that really, 95% of the work is something that the lawyer just can NOT do for you.

Need a birth certificate? Guess what? YOU dig it out.

Need info on previous residences? Guess what? YOU dig it out.

Need your medical (vaccination records) from childhood? GUESS WHAT! YOU dig it out.

I could go on all day. :)

The guides here tell you which forms, which documents, what counts as evidence, sample letters of intent etc. Many hundreds if not thousands of couples have successfully completed the immigration process without hiring a lawyer. If you are feeling daunted by the sheer amount of things to do, the best advice is to just take things one step at a time. Work your way though the forms and collecting the documents one by one, and soon you'll be done! :) There are lots of people around here who got taken for a several thousand dollar ride. At the very least you should get as far as you can and learn as much as you can about the process so that you can watch them like a hawk!!

There are a couple of complexities which might make consider a lawyer - serious criminal record (google "crimes of moral turpitude"), overstays, entering without inspection, or other inadmissibilities.

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline
We all know lawyers are expensive, but I am worried that me or my gf will make a mistake and as such be denied the k-1 visa.

So my question is, how complicated is the process to apply for a K-1 visa? Is it something we can do

ourselves without too much trouble, or would it be advisable to hire a lawyer?

Any help will be sincerely appreciates

This site can be of help. Read, ask and learn. It can be done

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

In my humble opinion, you need to do what feels comfortable for you. You know your situation the best. You know yourself. To each his or her own.

If you DO hire a lawyer, shop around. You want someone you can trust.

Baj

ah. the longing....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.