TheWebbys

Affidavit for Support

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I know that I am going to need a co-sponsor for when I file my I-134. What I am concerned with is the procedure for this. Do I need to fill out a form as well as my sponsor?, or does the sponsor alone fill out the I-134?

I looked through the guides and just couldn't find the exact information I was searching for.

Who needs to fill out the form?

What paper work needs to be in there?

Any help would be great.

I married my British Husband strictly for financial purposes. My heart wrote a check and I cashed it. (L)

I know that I am going to need a co-sponsor for when I file my I-134. What I am concerned with is the procedure for this. Do I need to fill out a form as well as my sponsor?, or does the sponsor alone fill out the I-134?

I looked through the guides and just couldn't find the exact information I was searching for.

Who needs to fill out the form?

What paper work needs to be in there?

Any help would be great.

Both fill out the form.Both provide income information - though if you have zero income, you should provide a letter of explanation about that. Additionally, the cosponsor will need to provide proof of US permanent residency or citizenship (copy of green card, Nat. cert, birth cert, passport ID page....etc).

Please know that the London embassy can be quirky on the I-134, and the example forms which direct you to check "Do NOT intend to provide specific support" are not always accepted. Be sure that you and especially your cosponsor check that they intend to provide specific contributions. For yours, the same vague-ish statement about marriage and sharing everything etc. is OK, but the cosponsor should put something more definite, like if you were going to live with your parents and your parents were cosponsoring, they might put "room and board"

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Both fill out the form.Both provide income information - though if you have zero income, you should provide a letter of explanation about that. Additionally, the cosponsor will need to provide proof of US permanent residency or citizenship (copy of green card, Nat. cert, birth cert, passport ID page....etc).

Please know that the London embassy can be quirky on the I-134, and the example forms which direct you to check "Do NOT intend to provide specific support" are not always accepted. Be sure that you and especially your cosponsor check that they intend to provide specific contributions. For yours, the same vague-ish statement about marriage and sharing everything etc. is OK, but the cosponsor should put something more definite, like if you were going to live with your parents and your parents were cosponsoring, they might put "room and board"

how do I change my profile to indicate I have filed for K1?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
how do I change my profile to indicate I have filed for K1?

my controls, then under the Personal Profile select edit profile information, scroll down till you see Immigration Status. select K1

Simples!

hope that helps :)

event.png

Timeline

I work, I have an income, I can verify that. I just know that having 3 kids that I don't meet the 100% requirement. My mother is going to sponsor us. We need to know the technicalities of that.

We both intend to fully support him, no matter what that entails.

You know what a nail biting procedure this is. I need specifics if that is at all possible.

I married my British Husband strictly for financial purposes. My heart wrote a check and I cashed it. (L)

Timeline

Hope you don't mind if I add a question, we seem in a similar situation.

I am a mom of 3 as well with an English fiance. I also am about to graduate medical school (in May). I will be matched to a residency program in February (start date of July 1), and this is a binding contract, but will not receive pay until my residency begins. Does anyone know if I can use this future income for my Affidavit for Support. Being in medical school for the past 4 years, I have not had income but obviously will have substantial future income, just wondering if this will count or if I need a cosponsor. Thanks and good luck to us all. :)

06/10/2008 Met on holiday in Mexico

06/12/2008 First official date

06/20/2008 First non holiday contact

11/01/2008 My first visit to UK for a week

12/2008 His first visit to OK for 2 weeks

5/30/2009 His second visit to OK for 2 weeks

06/13/2009 Engaged!

08/2009 My 2nd visit to UK for a week

12/08/2009 I-29F mailed

12/09/2009 NOA1 received at VSC

12/12/2009 Received NOA1 hardcopy

12/12/2009 His 3rd visit to OK for 3 weeks

03/23/2010 NOA2 Received!!

05/01/2010 (about there) Packet 3 received

05/07/2010 Packet #3 sent to London embassy

05/14/2010 Medical - passed!

05/20/2010 Packet #3 received by London embassy

06/05/2010 Mark in U.S. for 3 weeks!!!!

Waiting

I am a mom of 3 as well with an English fiance. I also am about to graduate medical school (in May). I will be matched to a residency program in February (start date of July 1), and this is a binding contract, but will not receive pay until my residency begins. Does anyone know if I can use this future income for my Affidavit for Support. Being in medical school for the past 4 years, I have not had income but obviously will have substantial future income, just wondering if this will count or if I need a cosponsor. Thanks and good luck to us all. :)

Short answer: No

I-134 is concerned with your current income not your past or future income. You need pay stubs and employment verification letter which you can only get from a present employer

They usually look at current income - and frequently, if you start a job mid-year, you can show that you make X dollars per week * 52 (even if you only work 26 weeks in that calendar year) for your annual income. I would say, barring more experience with this sort of thing you should pursue one of two options:

1. Prepare the I-134 with your annual income as shown in your residency contract. Be sure to be clear about the start date and the amount. ALSO prepare a cosponsor affidavit of support to hold in reserve. Perhaps not necessary, but really, since the financials are up to the discretion of the person interviewing that day, it's hard to say for sure.

2. Delay his interview until after you have received your first paycheck. Then - No problem! Just return your packet 3 in late June, or shortly after the run of June interview assignments - London tends to do them all at once, once a month. Oh, Another delay tactic - attach a cover letter requesting a date after your start date, and send in in May. Of course, all this assumes that you'll be at that stage at all by then!

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.