OT Rules of pissy behaviour...

173 posts in this topic

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I didn't read anything after that initial post by Nessa. I agree with the characterization that it was a heartless and insensitive thing to say but am skeptical that the poster who said that was banned for merely saying that. That just doesn't sound like William or Charles. It must have escalated beyond that, no?

It wasn't said she was banned; she was suspended. Which, I sadly feel, was spurred by my getting involved and prodding William33 as to why his questions had any relevancy (because they didn't; it's clear he was stepping in *B/C* he and Charles are friends IRL). Either way, her suspension was completely uncalled for.

Captain Ewok, with all due respect, as I know you wanted this thread back to its original topic, but as this conversation has continued I'd like to voice my opinion -- please take this comment coming from someone who was once an active member and now rarely posts. I respect VJ for the information it can provide for those of us who have gone through US immigration and have found it to be extremely valuable, but the moderation team should be *respected* members, IMO. There are certainly more members besides just Mox who disagree with Charles being a mod and the way he interacts with other members. Just because we aren't actively hitting the report button doesn't mean there is just one person with an axe to grind. This is supposed to be an open, welcome forum, where people can find help. Depending on the thread one is in, it doesn't always feel that way.

K1

------------------------------------

07.12.07 - I-129f petition mailed

07.13.07 - I-129f received by VSC

07.18.07 - NOA1 notice

07.20.07 - check cashed

07.22.07 - touch

11.29.07 - NOA2, waited 140 days

11.30.07 - touch

12.03.07 - NVC Received

12.05.07 - NVC Left

12.10.07 - Consulate Rec'd

12.13.07 - Packet 3 Rec'd

03.13.08 - Packet 3 sent back to Montreal

04.08.08 - eligible for interview

05.13.08 - Packet 4 Rec'd

06.02.08 - Interview!

06.09.08 - Visa in hand!

06.16.08 - move date, POE via Peace Bridge, Buffalo, NY

06.20.08 - civil wedding

AOS

06.25.08 - AOS package sent

06.30.08 - received in Chicago

07.07.08 - NOA1 for 485 (AOS), 765 (EAD), & 131 (AP), rec'd in mail 07.14.08

07.09.08 - touch on all 3

07.10.08 - check cashed

07.28.08 - case transferred to CSC

08.02.08 - Biometrics

08.03.08 - touch on AOS

08.04.08 - touch on AOS & EAD

08.05.08 - touch on EAD

08.06.08, 08.07.08, 08.21.08, 08.22.08 - touch on AOS

09.03.08 - EAD approved!

09.04.08 - touch on EAD

09.05.08 - EAD card arrives in mail

09.06.08 - AP arrives in mail (no updates online or via email)

09.23.08 - touch on AOS

09.24.08 - welcome letter mailed

09.25.08 - touch on AOS

09.30.08 - AOS approved

10.01.08 - touch on AOS

10.04.08 - Green Card received

02.21.09 - "real" wedding in Montreal

Sometimes I think some of us take the concept of web-community WAAAAY to seriously. That goes for mods and members. I will say that any vindictive action or personal attacks by the moderating team should not pass without comment from ewok, and he cannot expect us to understand his corrective action if he doesn't tell us about it. Having said that, if I am offended by some one on VJ I do have the option of shutting it off.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

but the question remains - WHY was it? the comment that earned the suspension was a simple reaction to someone else's comment, in OFF-TOPIC, in a thread called 'Say Anything'

one person, who happens to be a (deputy) mod, got the idea in his head that the comment in question was 'attacking' his wife in order to have a go at him - an idea which he has not defended, or given ANY proof for, by the way - and so that person was suspended... FAR WORSE is said in Off Topic all day, yet those people don't get suspended; people complain about the mod in question for comments at least on par with the one that got the suspension, but HE'S not suspended - it's just inconsistent all the way through, and grossly unfair, if not actual abuse of power

and then when people like me, who now post far less than they read because it's seemed for months like the lunatics are completely running the asylum in here, are told 'you hardly post in Off Topic so your comments don't count'

#######? so you have to be a regular poster in a thread to be able to speak out about it? and if you're not it's different rules for you? I'm sorry, everything about this situation reeks, from start to finish

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Well, I'll be accepting apologies this week. Everyone involved can line up. Plus, I have some tips for the worst members thread :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Captain Ewok, I think in the end it comes down to this:

can you, or anyone else, truthfully and with a straight face, claim that if the positions had been reversed - ie Ovaltine Jenkins had made the original Haiti comment, and Nessa had made the reply calling it insensitive - that the same actions would have occurred? would Nessa have been suspended? I think we all know the answer to that... and it's not even as if there were grounds to suspect Ovaltine Jenkins of being a sock-puppet; she's been posting from the same account for more than two years and is clearly a genuine member

and with that being the case, it's VERY clear that there are major problems with some people's ability to be objective, and keep personal feelings/relationships/opinions/whatever out of their moderating decisions... it's all well and good when people simply disagree; that makes for good debate, and (when people are civil and reasonably intelligent) keeps life interesting... but when there's a difference of opinion and one person has more power than another, AND chooses to wield it inappropriately, then you've got problems... as you do here

and it's not like this is the only example of such things

if you like, I will happily submit all of the above, verbatim, in a ticket, so that you can deal with it as an actual complaint :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Folks, what member are we talking about that was suspended. Can you also link to the thread so I can more rapidly review what happened. I can not find a record of any suspensions on the people I "think" you are talking about so I want to make sure I am researching the right stuff.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Their account has never been suspended by a moderator. After several members reported a trend of activity (five various people in three days -- and several more (7) in the past -- I just searched my email history) that was potentially skirting the TOS over a long period of time, I placed their account review for two days as I skimmed over nearly six months of posts. I requested confirmation of their understanding of the TOS and that they would abide by it and closed the review. They have no official dings on their record so any future accounts will be treated as a first time offense. They have told me that they will understand the TOS and will not instigate, pick or target any member (in general follow the TOS). I will take them at their word unless they break it. Any speculation that a moderator suspended them is wrong or being used to incorrectly support an issue.

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.