bogartnoir

the very first thing to do once you get to the states?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hello once again, my dears.

once again i am freaking out and could use some help.

g will be moving either the end of february or 1st of march. at work yesterday i was thinking about getting married at the justice of the peace and how we need a marriage license. obviously we will need some sort of i.d. for this, right? what will grant use as i.d.? his k-1?

i figures he needs a state i.d. and an ssn, right? but for ME to get a state i.d. (and i've lived here 11 years) i needed SIX points of identification! grant doesn't have that! what do we do about getting him some i.d.?

thanks again, folks!

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

he won't be able to get a state id card.

You won't need anything for the marriage license. I didn't need to show any ID and NY ANd NJ have pretty much the same laws.

"...My hair's mostly wind,

My eyes filled with grit

My skin's white then brown

My lips chapped and split

I've lain on the prairie and heard grasses sigh

I've stared at the vast open bowl of the sky

I've seen all the castles and faces in clouds

My home is the prairie and for that I am proud…

If You're not from the Prairie, you can't know my soul

You don't know our blizzards; you've not fought our cold

You can't know my mind, nor ever my heart

Unless deep within you there's somehow a part…

A part of these things that I've said that I know,

The wind, sky and earth, the storms and the snow.

Best say that you have - and then we'll be one,

For we will have shared that same blazing sun." - David Bouchard

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I simply showed my provincial DL and my passport....

April 8, 2007- Met on-line playing World of Warcraft...Me a troll he a Tauren

10/11/2008 Married in Lakewood Washington

USCIS

12/08/2008 CR-1/I-130 mailed

12/19/2008 NOA1

03/09/2009 NOA2

03/09/2009 I-130 approved

NVC

03/19/2009 NVC case # generated

09/25/2009 Completed at NVC

01/11/2010 Interview Assigned..flight and hotel booked same day.

01/20/2010 Medical in Vancouver....no issues reported

02/05/2010 Interview in Montreal..APPROVED..with a few tears at the end!!

02/11/2010 POE...Peace Arch or PAC

thm_thm_php8UO03s.jpg

event.png

I used my Ontario license and birth certificate. We got married in NY.

Removal of Conditions: 12/09/2011

ROC check cashed 12/15/11

NOA1 12/13/11

Biometrics 1/6/12 Complete

RFE 9/13/12

RFE package sent back 10/17/12

Card Production Ordered 12/04/12

10 year card arrived in mail 12/10/12

It does vary state by state. For California you just need your current I.D. I just brought my passport, and it was fine. What city/town/state are you getting married in? Sorry, I don't remember :(

For details visit My Timeline or Profile

ROC Timeline:
May 23, 2012 - Mailed I-751
January 7, 2013 - RFE Received
March 26, 2013 - RFE Response Sent
April 11, 2013 - ROC APPROVED

June 8th, 2013 - 10 yr GC Received (FINALLY)

AOS Timeline:
March 23, 2010 - Mailed I-485 (AOS), I-131 (AP), I-765 (EAD)
June 7, 2010 - AP received
June 12, 2010 - EAD received
August 27, 2010 - 2 yr Green Card Received!

K-1 Timeline:
April 22, 2009 - I-129F Sent
November 20, 2009 - Interview in Montreal - Approved!
January 3, 2010 - POE (Ambassador Bridge)
January 20, 2010 - Wedding

Timeline

For NYC, all he needs is his passport to get married. You got get the license first and then you have to wait 24 hours to get married once the license is issued. You'll need at least 1 witness. I'd recommend going to the City Clerk's office downtown. It's really nice and efficient there! And the best part is you get the marriage certificate on the spot, so you can file AOS the next day if you want :)

Once he's been there for a couple of weeks, he should go apply for his SSN. He'll need his passport, K1, I-94 and I *think* long form birth certificate. Only certain social security offices in NYC can give out a SSN for the first time, so check out the website or call before you go.

For a Driver's License, once he has his SSN, he can get his DL. If he has an Ontario license, they'll do a swap, and you need to bring the SSN, passport, K1, I-94. The DL will have "Temporary Visitor" stipulation that is valid for the term of the I-94. Then, once he gets his EAD, he has to go back and get that stipulation extended. It honestly is more worthwhile to just wait until you get the EAD to get this done and use his Canadian license in the interim for ID. I only got it with the I-94 because I changed my name and had bank cards in my married name. The DL then has the temporary visitor thing on it for a 1 year period, instead of the 3 month period. Sounds confusing, but it's really not that bad.

If you need any help with places or where to go in NYC just PM me!

Also wanted to add, if you do go to the City Clerk's Office, your witness also needs to show photo ID and must be over 18.

Edited by SapphireDreams

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

While waiting for netflix, watch tv shows at hulu.com

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

In Florida you can use your passport in stead of a SS card or Driver's License.

02.09.2007- Met online (EverQuest 2)

07.11.2008- Met in person (Orlando)

02.14.2009- Got engaged (Toronto)

K-1

03.13.2009- NOA 1

08.24.2009- NOA 2

11.20.2009- Montreal Interview Approved!!

02.01.2010- POE @ Lewiston Bridge

02.25.2010- Applied for SS#

04.29.2010- Beach Wedding!!

AOS

05.27.2010- NOA 1 for I-131, I-485 & I-765

06.18.2010- I-485 transferred to CSC

06.21.2010- Biometrics

07.22.2010- EAD & AP approved

10.28.2010- RFE for I-485- They lost our medical!

12.09.2010- Green Card in hand!

ROC

09.14.2012- Mailed I-751 to VSC

10.26.2012- Biometrics

04.11.2013- 10 Year Green Card approved! No interview :)

8zs8cuv3suq7.png

Timeline

honestly? he's probably more excited about these new prospects than anything else ;)

For NYC, all he needs is his passport to get married. You got get the license first and then you have to wait 24 hours to get married once the license is issued. You'll need at least 1 witness. I'd recommend going to the City Clerk's office downtown. It's really nice and efficient there! And the best part is you get the marriage certificate on the spot, so you can file AOS the next day if you want :)

Once he's been there for a couple of weeks, he should go apply for his SSN. He'll need his passport, K1, I-94 and I *think* long form birth certificate. Only certain social security offices in NYC can give out a SSN for the first time, so check out the website or call before you go.

For a Driver's License, once he has his SSN, he can get his DL. If he has an Ontario license, they'll do a swap, and you need to bring the SSN, passport, K1, I-94. The DL will have "Temporary Visitor" stipulation that is valid for the term of the I-94. Then, once he gets his EAD, he has to go back and get that stipulation extended. It honestly is more worthwhile to just wait until you get the EAD to get this done and use his Canadian license in the interim for ID. I only got it with the I-94 because I changed my name and had bank cards in my married name. The DL then has the temporary visitor thing on it for a 1 year period, instead of the 3 month period. Sounds confusing, but it's really not that bad.

Also wanted to add, if you do go to the City Clerk's Office, your witness also needs to show photo ID and must be over 18.

gah! this is so much help! thank you so so much! he doesn't have a driver's license, but he does have an ontario i.d. card and his health card, so hopefully that will apply as well. i will definitely pm you in the near future before my head explodes ;p

thanks for your help, one and all!

AOS

05.17.10 - I-485/I-765 mailed

05.25.10 - NoA

06.25.10 - biometrics appt

07.02.10 - emailed that our case is moved to CSC!

07.14.10 - touched

07.21.10 - touched

08.03.10 - approved for EAD

08.05.10 - uscis mailed out EAD

08.09.10 - EAD received!

01.05.11 - a ###### RFE over 6 ###### months after the fact

02.01.11 - touched

02.14.11 - APPROVED (finally)!

02.25.11 - received green card in the mail

DONE WITH USCIS FOR 2 YEARS!

(thank christ)

6scrqyns.png

Timeline
honestly? he's probably more excited about these new prospects than anything else ;)

gah! this is so much help! thank you so so much! he doesn't have a driver's license, but he does have an ontario i.d. card and his health card, so hopefully that will apply as well. i will definitely pm you in the near future before my head explodes ;p

thanks for your help, one and all!

He can just apply for the NY Non-Driver ID card then I'm sure. Or he could take the written test and get a permit. Whichever he prefers!

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline
hello once again, my dears.

once again i am freaking out and could use some help.

g will be moving either the end of february or 1st of march. at work yesterday i was thinking about getting married at the justice of the peace and how we need a marriage license. obviously we will need some sort of i.d. for this, right? what will grant use as i.d.? his k-1?

i figures he needs a state i.d. and an ssn, right? but for ME to get a state i.d. (and i've lived here 11 years) i needed SIX points of identification! grant doesn't have that! what do we do about getting him some i.d.?

thanks again, folks!

it depends on the state. last year david and i got a marriage license in cook county chicago illinois. all they asked for was my passport, and my parents names etc. and an addy of where i'd live once married. of course this was all pre k1 etc before i knew the process. 10 mins later we had the license.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

a bit OT here but you can do that in canada :P i just use a program called hotspot shield, it's a vpn program i use when i'm at hotels etc. it changes your ip address so no one can really track you, but at the same time their server is in the usa so you get a usa ip, thus you can login to hulu and netflix :) david uses his netflix account here in canada when he comes to visit.

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Other Timeline

Likewise......It was kind of the same way for me here in New York State too....

Marriage Registration/Certificate- Can get right away. Costs $30 or so at the clerk's office. There is a 24 hour waiting period. 1 (or was it 2?) witness is needed. The only ID needed: Passport, Birth Certificate, Other Canadian ID. Can get the Certificate right away after the ceremony if requested right away (heck, I got mine 10 mins later...lol...). Make sure though, you carefully double check over your certificate before you get it...

SSN- A few weeks later. Costs Free. (I did this after I got my Green Card though...so I don't know how it's done with the K1 process). ID needed: Passport, Birth Certificate, Immigration Documents, Marriage Certificate, other ID (see the SSA website for more info).

Driver's License- A few weeks later. Costs $45..Good for 5 years. ID needed: SSN (most important, they won't issue a license without one!), Immigration Documents, NYS Residency Proof (bills, etc.), Marriage Certificate, other ID (see the NYS DMV website for more info). And yes, you can get a "direct transfer" from a Canadian (Ontario for sure....like mine) license too and no testing required either!..In and out in 10 mins for me...no problem....Though if you aren't in a hurry to get a license before you get your green card....You can instead get one after you get your green card and forget about the "temporary visitor" junk on your license. Once you get your green card, show them that instead of the k1 and I94. And if you are showing your Green Card, you can get a 5yr unrestricted (drivers or ID card) license instead of a temporary one. Oh and if you ever go for US Citizenship, later on down the road, you can get an Enhanced Driver's license too (good for travel between the USA and Canada) and get voter's registration done there too. I got to admit, the NYS DMV is my favourite government agency.....Way better than the USCIS...lol....

See my vj timeline for more info too.....

So this is the order to do things: 1) Marriage Certificate 2) SSN 3) Driver's License....

Hope this helps too. Good luck on your journey too.

Ant (An NYSer too.....Feel free to pm me too if you need more NYS info too.....)

P.S. I never knew that Ontario had ID cards now that one can get at the MTO...Is that a new thing or something?

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

:lol: too funny...

I was thinking more along the lines of.....hugging....kissing....:luv:...ok I stop now...could be TMI.... :blush:

Guess I won't add too much as you've got a ton of answers!! All I can say is how exciting that this part of the journey is almost over for you!! :)

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

The first thing you need to do is :dance: a happy dance!

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.