dapobukola

PLEASE HELP

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello all and Happy new year. My fiance came to USA on a K1 visa, we went to the social security office to apply for his social security card but the lady that helped us told us that we would need the employment autorization card before he could get a social security card so what i want to know is how long would it take for us to get theemployment autorization card back if we apply for it now because he needs a job ASAP. thanks for all your help in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
Hello all and Happy new year. My fiance came to USA on a K1 visa, we went to the social security office to apply for his social security card but the lady that helped us told us that we would need the employment autorization card before he could get a social security card so what i want to know is how long would it take for us to get theemployment autorization card back if we apply for it now because he needs a job ASAP. thanks for all your help in advance.

Did they say why? When does your fiance's I-94 expire? You file for the EAD along with your AOS. See the timelines page for current estimates.

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

As long as his I-94 has 14 days before expiry, he can get a social security card but not allowed to work until he gets his EAD which should have been sent with your AOS application. Check step by step guide for AOS here in this website. You'll be guided as to what should be done specially when a staff doesn't know the new regulations about K1 visa holders being eligible for social security card. I got one soon after I got here as K1 visa holder.

http://hubtvonline.blogspot.com/search/lab...;max-results=20

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Harlingen TX

Date Filed : 2009-12-10

NOA Date : 2009-12-22

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-01-07

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : April 27, 2010

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved : April 27, 2010

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received: May 28, 2010

Timeline
As long as his I-94 has 14 days before expiry, he can get a social security card but not allowed to work until he gets his EAD which should have been sent with your AOS application. Check step by step guide for AOS here in this website. You'll be guided as to what should be done specially when a staff doesn't know the new regulations about K1 visa holders being eligible for social security card. I got one soon after I got here as K1 visa holder.

Thanks for your eply but you are talking about the AOS, we are not applying for AOS right now because we are not married, we just need EAD right now so he can get a job we are going to apply for the AOS after we get married.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

When did he arrive ? If he just arrived you can print out the guide in the social security guide Read section C for K1's and take it with you to show them why you can apply , you have to have at least 14 days validity on the I 94 in his visa. If you are past that , he can't apply for the SSN until after you get the EAD or the actual green card. That will not happen until you have filed for AOS and you can look under timeslines to see the averages , but it looks like the green card is about 130 after filing and the EAD is averaging about 60 days. But your fiance/husband has no authorization to work until he has the EAD/greencard so you are in for a wait.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Timeline
Thanks for your eply but you are talking about the AOS, we are not applying for AOS right now because we are not married, we just need EAD right now so he can get a job we are going to apply for the AOS after we get married.

No sense in applying for the EAD before your AOS - it will be invalid once your fiance's I-94 expires anyway. Your best bet it to get married, and file for AOS and EAD concurrently.

Timeline
No sense in applying for the EAD before your AOS - it will be invalid once your fiance's I-94 expires anyway. Your best bet it to get married, and file for AOS and EAD concurrently.

Not to mention applying to the EAD separately cost $340 and is only valid for 90 days ( or may be denied if the I 94 expires during processing )

Timeline
When did he arrive ? If he just arrived you can print out the guide in the social security guide Read section C for K1's and take it with you to show them why you can apply , you have to have at least 14 days validity on the I 94 in his visa. If you are past that , he can't apply for the SSN until after you get the EAD or the actual green card. That will not happen until you have filed for AOS and you can look under timeslines to see the averages , but it looks like the green card is about 130 after filing and the EAD is averaging about 60 days. But your fiance/husband has no authorization to work until he has the EAD/greencard so you are in for a wait.

He just came last friday, our wedding is march 6th but we dont want to wait that long and then apply for AOS, so he could work.

Timeline

I know it seem like a waste of money and time but we wont be able to apply for AOS until march 6th because we having a big wedding and its March 6th and i also read it somewhere that we can renew his EAD after it has expired so he can still work before his AOS gets approved.

Timeline
He just came last friday, our wedding is march 6th but we dont want to wait that long and then apply for AOS, so he could work.

If you filed today you likely wouldn't have your EAD before your wedding anyway.

Timeline

You can extend it only if you have a valid condition underneath like a still pending AOS , but your I 94 would be what kills the EAD , it expires with the I-94 so if you filed today it would expire 90 days after arrival and no extensions would be available. Most employers won't hire someone for only a month or so

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

What about doing a small civil marriage now, say in the courthouse and file for AOS. You can still have the big wedding and you don't even need to tell anyone, other than the official, that you are already married?

He could apply for the EAD now as you say and pay for it, but it will expire when his I-94 expires and have no opportunity to renew it as he will have "no status" at that time. Most likely he will not receive the EAD prior to the I-94 expiring so you will just be flushing money down the toilet.

Best bet a secret wedding if you really need him to be working. You can walk the wedding certificate to the courthouse after the ceremony and receive a certified copy of it then (at least we did) and mail off the AOS packet that day if it is ready. It will still take several months for him to receive his EAD.

Edited by belinda63

Timeline

The issue with that is they are probably Catholic and the priest will want a marriage license as part of doing their big wedding and may not be willing to do a church wedding for people that are already married. It would be risky to just get married and not clear the plan with the officiating priest. There is no way to get a second marriage license so they may have to make a choice between working now and no big wedding or working later and a big wedding.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

While you are in the process of deciding when to file for AOS, you may go to the Social security office now and get him a social security number. Read from the following link about help others gave in the past regarding your case.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...Social+security

Just by showing your I-94 and valid passport, you should be able to obtain an SS#.

http://hubtvonline.blogspot.com/search/lab...;max-results=20

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Harlingen TX

Date Filed : 2009-12-10

NOA Date : 2009-12-22

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2010-01-07

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : April 27, 2010

Approval / Denial Date :

Approved : April 27, 2010

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received: May 28, 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.