disconnection

CAIRO'S FINAL REVIEW CLUB

1,191 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
mybe most of us will have flight together next month god willing, insha allah :)

It will be fun if some of us will take the same plane '' Insha'Allah'' !!!!!!!! :thumbs:

It has been almost 10 months since my interview and next month its going to be 4 years since me and my fiancee were met the first time and we still apart !! so We really need to hear good news soon .

Edited by Hot Guy

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

Will you stand by me ?!!!Hold on and never let me go .

Will you stand by me?!! With you i know i belong . When the story gets told .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

You make things right every time after time.....

Will you stand by me ?!!!

I love you so much and i miss you so much more .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

This is intresting articel i was reading about Cairo Visa issuence ..... not related Immigrant Visa

U.S. Sen. Grassley: Seeks information about failure to revoke visas to "possible terrorists"

1/11/2010

For Immediate Release

Monday, January 11, 2010

Grassley Seeks Information About Failure to Revoke Visas to “Possible Terrorists” and Presses State Department for Answers on Visa Screening Upgrades at Foreign Stations

December 25 terrorist received visa at non-Visa Security Unit-staffed embassy

WASHINGTON – Senator Chuck Grassley today pushed the Department of State for information about its policy of allowing foreign nationals classified as “possible terrorists” to travel to the United States and expressed concerns about the slow process of implementing Visa Security Units at its embassies around the world. In a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Grassley expressed dismay that the would-be Christmas Day bomber had a valid U.S. visa and that only 14 of the 220 Department of State posts have Visa Security Units.

Visa Security Units assist the State Department in screening visa applicants for security concerns. The 9/11 hijackers entered the country because the State Department approved their visa applications despite answers like "no" or "hotel" in the blank where they were supposed to put their U.S. destination.

Grassley is renewing his request for additional information about the Visa Security Units after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab received a U.S. visa in London and was allowed to retain it even after his father tried to warn U.S. officials in Nigeria. Neither post has a Visa Security Unit. Abdulmutalleb has been charged with attempting to blow up a Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day. The senator began requesting information in September 2007.

Grassley said his office has heard reports that implementation of the Visa Security Units has been hampered by roadblocks put forth by personnel at the U.S. embassies throughout the world, including the London station.

Here is a copy of the text of Grassley’s letter to Clinton, followed by Grassley’s previous correspondence on Visa Security Units.

January 11, 2010

Via Electronic Transmission

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton

Secretary

U.S. Department of State

2201 C. Street, NW

Washington, DC 20520

Dear Secretary Clinton:

As the Senior Senator from Iowa, Ranking Member on the United States Senate Committee on Finance, and a senior member of the Committee on the Judiciary it is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight into the actions of the Executive Branch, including the activities of the Department of State.

Since September 2007, I have been seeking from the Department of State information regarding the screening procedures for foreign nationals entering this country. Following the 9/11 attacks, Congress created the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and charged the Secretary with creating Visa Security Units (VSUs) to assist the State Department in screening visa applicants for security concerns. The 9/11 hijackers entered the country because the State Department approved their visa applications despite answers like "no" or "hotel" in the blank where they were supposed to put their U.S. destination. By placing DHS security personnel in U.S. embassies to help the State Department improve screening of applicants, the VSUs were a vital reform aimed at shoring-up one of America’s first lines of defense against foreign terrorist attacks. The establishment of VSUs was supposed to be a compromise substitute for the more drastic reform that many advocated of taking the visa issuance function away from the State Department entirely.

However, eight years later, DHS personnel are only in 14 of over 220 State Department posts around the world. When I asked about implementation of VSU’s a year-and-a-half ago there were 10. At this rate it would take over 20 years to establish VSUs in the approximately 40 posts that DHS has identified as high risk. This is completely unacceptable, especially in light of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab’s attempt to down a Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day. Implementation of the VSUs has hardly progressed at all. There isn’t one in London, where Abdulmutallab was issued his visa, or in Nigeria where his father went to warn U.S. officials.

It has been reported to my office that the slow pace of implementation has been due to objections and roadblocks from the State Department. Specifically, over the last few years DHS encountered resistance from ambassadors in attempting to establish VSUs in Kuala Lumpur, London, Nairobi, Istanbul, and Kuwait City. It is extremely troubling that an ambassador can inhibit the ability of DHS in carrying out its mission. At this time there are no VSUs in Yemen, Nigeria, England, France, Spain, Italy, Turkey, nor many other posts identified by DHS as needing them.

Attached you will find a copy of the letter I wrote to the State Department and DHS in the summer of 2008 seeking information about the implementation of VSUs. I have not received a substantive response. In light of recent events, I renew my previous requests and ask that the Department provide a briefing on the steps that it will take to speed the process of establishing the VSUs as Congress intended in 2002 when it passed the Homeland Security Act. In addition, please provide written responses to the following questions and requests by January 22, 2010:

1) According to press reports, State Department officials have indicated Abdulmutallab’s visa would not have been revoked under any circumstances because the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) classified him as "P3B," which stands for a "possible" terrorist rather than a "3B" classification as a terrorist. Given that there are numerous statutory reasons for which a visa may be revoked short of a classification by the NCTC as a terrorist, please explain why classification as a “possible terrorist” should not disqualify a foreign national from traveling to the United States?

2) How many other foreign nationals are currently classified as “possible terrorists” by the NCTC and yet hold valid visas to travel to the United States? How many are already in the United States? What steps are you taking to ensure that those individuals are reviewed and vetted for possible revocation of their privilege to travel to the United States?

3) Please provide a copy of Abdulmutallab’s visa application and a detailed explanation of why the report from his father to State Department officials in Nigeria failed to result in a revocation of his visa in November 2009.

Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this important matter.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Jason Foster of my staff at 202-224-4515. All formal correspondence should be sent electronically in PDF format to Brian_Downey@finance-rep.senate.gov or via facsimile to 202-228-2131.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Grassley

Ranking Member

cc: The Honorable Janet A. Napolitano

Secretary

U. S. Department of Homeland Security

Washington, DC 20528

Ambassador Harold W. Geisel

Acting Inspector General

Office of Inspector General

U.S. Department of State

Washington, DC 20037

Here are copies of the text of Grassley’s previous letters.

July 21, 2008

The Honorable Michael Chertoff

Secretary

Department of Homeland Security

3801 Nebraska Avenue, N.W.

Washington, DC 20528

The Honorable Condoleezza Rice

Secretary of State

United States Department of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, DC 20520

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, DC 20520

Secretary

Washington, DC 20528

Dear Secretaries Rice and Chertoff:

Last fall, I wrote to each of you to inquire about the circumstances under which Mr. Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Mr. Youssef Samir Megahed entered the United States before being charged by federal authorities with terrorism-related offenses. I learned that Mr. Mohamed was granted a student visa despite having declared on his application that he had previously been arrested in Egypt. His application contained no further explanation of his previous arrest. Shockingly, it appears that the Departments of State or Homeland Security personnel did not inquire into the circumstances of his arrest before approving his student visa. These events raise serious concerns about the adequacy of the improvements made to our visa screening procedures in light of the 9/11 attacks.

My concerns are magnified by your Departments’ lack of progress toward implementing post-9/11 reforms mandated by Congress. The Homeland Security Act requires a shared responsibility between the Departments of State and Homeland Security over visa issuance, and it required DHS to establish Visa Security Units (VSUs) in visa issuing posts to ensure that security checks on visa applicants were conducted in a more thorough and effective manner. However, my understanding is that only 10 such VSUs have been established, constituting less than five percent of the 220 issuing posts. Moreover, in this particular case, Mr. Mohammed’s visa application was processed in Cairo at a time when there was no VSU established there. If a VSU had been in place as Congress mandated, it seems likely that his application would have received the increased scrutiny it clearly deserved.

Unfortunately, I have still not received the information I requested in my initial letters. Among the reasons given to explain why I haven’t been provided the information I requested was that there was still a criminal proceeding pending against Mr. Mohamed. Contrary to the claims of a consistent policy against it, in fact, the Executive Branch often provides Congress with information related to pending criminal proceedings. Nevertheless, that issue should no longer be a barrier in this case. Since my original letter, Mr. Mohamed has pled guilty to providing material support to terrorism. Therefore, I renew my previous requests of September 17, 2007, and also ask that you provide the following additional information by no later than August 4, 2008:

1. Mr. Mohammed’s visa was approved in Cairo prior to the establishment of a VSU there, years after Congress had mandated VSUs.

a. Why have so few VSUs been established thus far?

b. The law requires a VSU in all posts except those where the DHS Secretary finds that establishing a VSU is not feasible. Has the DHS Secretary determined that any particular post is unfeasible? If so when, which post(s), and why?

c. There was no VSU in place in Cairo at the time Mr. Mohamed received his visa. If there had been, it is my understanding that his application would likely have received additional scrutiny. Why was there no VSU established in Cairo at the time of Mr. Mohammed’s application?

d. What steps were taken to inquire into the circumstances of the arrest which Mohammed declared on his visa application?

e. Why does the visa application form require the applicant to indicate whether s/he has been arrested, but does not require an explanation of the circumstances of arrest disclosed?

f. When do your Departments intend to fully implement the VSU program in all issuing posts?

g. I understand that certain ambassadors in high-risk issuing posts have resisted the implementation of VSUs. What steps have been taken to ensure that ambassadors comply with the law by cooperating with DHS to establish VSUs?

2. Mr. Mohamed’s student visa was approved despite the disclosure of an arrest, and he has since admitted to engaging in material support of terrorism.

a. Why was Mohammed’s application approved?

b. My office has received information that the consular officer who approved Mr. Mohammed’s visa, and/or the consular officer’s spouse, may have been under investigation for inappropriately approving unqualified applicants for entry into the United States. Has the Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) or any other agency conducted any such investigation of the consular officer or the officer’s spouse? If so, when did the inquiry occur, what were the results, and what, if any, disciplinary actions were recommended and/or undertaken?

c. What steps have been taken to learn from this failure to properly screen visa applicants in order to ensure that it does not occur again?

If you have any questions about this request, please contact my staff at (202) 224-4515. Thank you for your prompt attention to these important matters.

Sincerely,

For Immediate Release

Monday, October 29, 2007

Grassley Seeks Documents in Arrest of Students Found with Explosive Devices

WASHINGTON – Senator Chuck Grassley today, citing the oversight responsibility of Congress, has asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for documents regarding Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Youssef Samir Megahed, two Egyptian University of South Florida students indicted on terrorism charges.

The charges originated from an August 4, 2007 traffic stop by a South Carolina law enforcement officer, during which explosive devices and possible bomb making materials were discovered.

Following media reports that one of the men was arrested in Egypt prior to obtaining a student visa, Grassley expressed concern about screening procedures for student visa applicants, and launched an inquiry to determine why the Egyptian was admitted to the United States. The State Department refused to provide the requested documents.

Here is a copy of today’s letter followed by Grassley’s original letter to Rice.

October 29, 2007

Via Facsimile: (202) 647-9667

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20520

Dear Secretary Rice:

On September 17, I wrote to you seeking information on how Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Youssef Samir Megahed were admitted to the United States. As you know, they have been indicted on federal terrorism and explosive charges, and some media reports have indicated that Mr. Mohamed may have been arrested in Egypt before obtaining a student visa. Given that lapses in our student visa system allowed the 9/11 hijackers easy access to the United States while planning the attacks, fewer issues are of greater concern than ensuring that we thoroughly screen student visa applicants.

Therefore, my letter asked for a copy of Mr. Mohamed’s visa application, among other things. However, I have not received a response to my letter even though it was sent over a month ago. Your staff has indicated that you will not provide the information and documents I requested, citing various reasons including 8 U.S.C. 1202(f), a statutory provision which makes records relating to the issuance or refusal of visas. However, in applying Congress's broad investigatory power to obtain access to documents containing confidential information, federal courts have expressly held that executive agencies may not deny Congress access to such documents whose disclosure to the public is otherwise statutorily barred.[1] In other words, Congress generally does not limit its own access to information unless it does so explicitly. Thus, statutes which merely contain general protection for records from “disclosure” are inapplicable to Congress.

Accordingly, please provide the requested documents and information as soon as possible. Should there be any questions regarding this matter, your staff may contact Investigative Counsel at (202) 224-4515.

[1] See e.g., F.T.C. v. Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corp., 626 F.2d 966, 970 (D..C. Cir. 1980); Exxon COT. v. F.T.C., 589 F.2d 582, 585-86 (D.C. Cir. 1978), cert denied 441 U.S. 943 (1979); Ashland Oil Co,, Inc. v. F.T.C., 548 F.2d 977, 979 (D.C. Cir. 1976).

September 17, 2007

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20520

Dear Secretary Rice:

As the Senior Senator from Iowa, Ranking Member on the United States Senate Committee on Finance (Committee), and a senior member of the Committee on the Judiciary it is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight into the actions of the Executive Branch, including the activities of the Department of State.

As reported in several media articles, Mr. Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Mr. Youssef Samir Megahed were engineering students at the University of South Florida (USF). These two men are believed to be citizens and nationals of Egypt, and were recently indicted on federal terrorism and explosive charges. The charges originated from an August 4, 2007 traffic stop by a South Carolina law enforcement officer, during which explosive devices and possible bomb making materials were discovered. The traffic stop took place about seven miles from the Goose Creek Naval Weapons Station, which houses a military prison for enemy combatants. The articles further stated that Mr. Megahed’s immigration status is that of a United States lawful permanent resident (LPR). They go on to state that Mr. Mohamed applied for and received a U.S. Department of State F-1 nonimmigrant student visa to attend classes at USF. Moreover, Mr. Mohamed was reportedly arrested on terrorism related charges in Egypt before entering the United States.

Additionally, the articles also cite that federal and state law enforcement officers executed a federal search warrant at 12402 Pampas Place, Temple Terrace, Florida, an address linked to Messrs. Mohamed and Megahed. The list of the items seized included Xylo Xylene, odorless mineral spirits and PVC pipe, materials which could be used in the production of an improvised explosive devise (IED) or in the production of illegal substances, such as methamphetamine. It is my further understanding that the Temple Terrace residence is linked to Ramadan Abdallah Mohamed Shallah, an FBI Most Wanted terrorist that is associated with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, a designated terrorist organization. Also, the address is linked to Tarik Hamdi, who was an al-Qaeda operative and is currently wanted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Given this information, I am deeply concerned about the implications this case may have for our national security and the effectiveness of our screening procedures for immigrants and nonimmigrants entering this country. It is essential that Congress understand why these individuals were not excluded from admission into the United States.

Therefore, please respond to the following questions and document requests related to Messrs. Mohamed and Megahed:

1. Please provide complete copies of their passports and visa applications (forms DS-156 and DS-157), including notes, memoranda and any other information available about them.

2. Is it true, as has been reported in the press, that Mr. Mohamed was previously arrested on terrorism-related charges in Egypt? If so, please explain how he was allowed to enter the United States despite the existence of such information.

3. Do any databases that are accessible to the State Department contain information related to Messrs. Mohamed and Megahed? If so, please provide copies of any and all such records.

4. Please provide any other State Department records that contain information related to either of these individuals.

I would appreciate your prompt reply to this request but in no event later than September 24, 2007.

Timeline
mybe most of us will have flight together next month god willing, insha allah :)

it would be an amazing thing but no Egypt Air please :D

Timeline
This is intresting articel i was reading about Cairo Visa issuence ..... not related Immigrant Visa

U.S. Sen. Grassley: Seeks information about failure to revoke visas to "possible terrorists"

1/11/2010

For Immediate Release

Monday, January 11, 2010

Grassley Seeks Information About Failure to Revoke Visas to “Possible Terrorists” and Presses State Department for Answers on Visa Screening Upgrades at Foreign Stations

December 25 terrorist received visa at non-Visa Security Unit-staffed embassy

WASHINGTON – Senator Chuck Grassley today pushed the Department of State for information about its policy of allowing foreign nationals classified as “possible terrorists” to travel to the United States and expressed concerns about the slow process of implementing Visa Security Units at its embassies around the world. In a letter to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Grassley expressed dismay that the would-be Christmas Day bomber had a valid U.S. visa and that only 14 of the 220 Department of State posts have Visa Security Units.

Visa Security Units assist the State Department in screening visa applicants for security concerns. The 9/11 hijackers entered the country because the State Department approved their visa applications despite answers like "no" or "hotel" in the blank where they were supposed to put their U.S. destination.

Grassley is renewing his request for additional information about the Visa Security Units after Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab received a U.S. visa in London and was allowed to retain it even after his father tried to warn U.S. officials in Nigeria. Neither post has a Visa Security Unit. Abdulmutalleb has been charged with attempting to blow up a Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day. The senator began requesting information in September 2007.

Grassley said his office has heard reports that implementation of the Visa Security Units has been hampered by roadblocks put forth by personnel at the U.S. embassies throughout the world, including the London station.

Here is a copy of the text of Grassley’s letter to Clinton, followed by Grassley’s previous correspondence on Visa Security Units.

January 11, 2010

The Honorable Hillary Rodham Clinton

Secretary

U.S. Department of State

2201 C. Street, NW

Washington, DC 20520

Dear Secretary Clinton:

As the Senior Senator from Iowa, Ranking Member on the United States Senate Committee on Finance, and a senior member of the Committee on the Judiciary it is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight into the actions of the Executive Branch, including the activities of the Department of State.

Since September 2007, I have been seeking from the Department of State information regarding the screening procedures for foreign nationals entering this country. Following the 9/11 attacks, Congress created the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and charged the Secretary with creating Visa Security Units (VSUs) to assist the State Department in screening visa applicants for security concerns. The 9/11 hijackers entered the country because the State Department approved their visa applications despite answers like "no" or "hotel" in the blank where they were supposed to put their U.S. destination. By placing DHS security personnel in U.S. embassies to help the State Department improve screening of applicants, the VSUs were a vital reform aimed at shoring-up one of America’s first lines of defense against foreign terrorist attacks. The establishment of VSUs was supposed to be a compromise substitute for the more drastic reform that many advocated of taking the visa issuance function away from the State Department entirely.

However, eight years later, DHS personnel are only in 14 of over 220 State Department posts around the world. When I asked about implementation of VSU’s a year-and-a-half ago there were 10. At this rate it would take over 20 years to establish VSUs in the approximately 40 posts that DHS has identified as high risk. This is completely unacceptable, especially in light of Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab’s attempt to down a Detroit-bound airliner on Christmas Day. Implementation of the VSUs has hardly progressed at all. There isn’t one in London, where Abdulmutallab was issued his visa, or in Nigeria where his father went to warn U.S. officials.

It has been reported to my office that the slow pace of implementation has been due to objections and roadblocks from the State Department. Specifically, over the last few years DHS encountered resistance from ambassadors in attempting to establish VSUs in Kuala Lumpur, London, Nairobi, Istanbul, and Kuwait City. It is extremely troubling that an ambassador can inhibit the ability of DHS in carrying out its mission. At this time there are no VSUs in Yemen, Nigeria, England, France, Spain, Italy, Turkey, nor many other posts identified by DHS as needing them.

Attached you will find a copy of the letter I wrote to the State Department and DHS in the summer of 2008 seeking information about the implementation of VSUs. I have not received a substantive response. In light of recent events, I renew my previous requests and ask that the Department provide a briefing on the steps that it will take to speed the process of establishing the VSUs as Congress intended in 2002 when it passed the Homeland Security Act. In addition, please provide written responses to the following questions and requests by January 22, 2010:

1) According to press reports, State Department officials have indicated Abdulmutallab’s visa would not have been revoked under any circumstances because the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC) classified him as "P3B," which stands for a "possible" terrorist rather than a "3B" classification as a terrorist. Given that there are numerous statutory reasons for which a visa may be revoked short of a classification by the NCTC as a terrorist, please explain why classification as a “possible terrorist” should not disqualify a foreign national from traveling to the United States?

2) How many other foreign nationals are currently classified as “possible terrorists” by the NCTC and yet hold valid visas to travel to the United States? How many are already in the United States? What steps are you taking to ensure that those individuals are reviewed and vetted for possible revocation of their privilege to travel to the United States?

3) Please provide a copy of Abdulmutallab’s visa application and a detailed explanation of why the report from his father to State Department officials in Nigeria failed to result in a revocation of his visa in November 2009.

Thank you for your cooperation and attention to this important matter.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Jason Foster of my staff at 202-224-4515. All formal correspondence should be sent electronically in PDF format to Brian_Downey@finance-rep.senate.gov or via facsimile to 202-228-2131.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Grassley

Ranking Member

cc: The Honorable Janet A. Napolitano

Secretary

U. S. Department of Homeland Security

Washington, DC 20528

Ambassador Harold W. Geisel

Acting Inspector General

Office of Inspector General

U.S. Department of State

Washington, DC 20037

Here are copies of the text of Grassley’s previous letters.

July 21, 2008

Secretary

Washington, DC 20528

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, DC 20520

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, DC 20520

Secretary

Washington, DC 20528

Dear Secretaries Rice and Chertoff:

Last fall, I wrote to each of you to inquire about the circumstances under which Mr. Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Mr. Youssef Samir Megahed entered the United States before being charged by federal authorities with terrorism-related offenses. I learned that Mr. Mohamed was granted a student visa despite having declared on his application that he had previously been arrested in Egypt. His application contained no further explanation of his previous arrest. Shockingly, it appears that the Departments of State or Homeland Security personnel did not inquire into the circumstances of his arrest before approving his student visa. These events raise serious concerns about the adequacy of the improvements made to our visa screening procedures in light of the 9/11 attacks.

My concerns are magnified by your Departments’ lack of progress toward implementing post-9/11 reforms mandated by Congress. The Homeland Security Act requires a shared responsibility between the Departments of State and Homeland Security over visa issuance, and it required DHS to establish Visa Security Units (VSUs) in visa issuing posts to ensure that security checks on visa applicants were conducted in a more thorough and effective manner. However, my understanding is that only 10 such VSUs have been established, constituting less than five percent of the 220 issuing posts. Moreover, in this particular case, Mr. Mohammed’s visa application was processed in Cairo at a time when there was no VSU established there. If a VSU had been in place as Congress mandated, it seems likely that his application would have received the increased scrutiny it clearly deserved.

Unfortunately, I have still not received the information I requested in my initial letters. Among the reasons given to explain why I haven’t been provided the information I requested was that there was still a criminal proceeding pending against Mr. Mohamed. Contrary to the claims of a consistent policy against it, in fact, the Executive Branch often provides Congress with information related to pending criminal proceedings. Nevertheless, that issue should no longer be a barrier in this case. Since my original letter, Mr. Mohamed has pled guilty to providing material support to terrorism. Therefore, I renew my previous requests of September 17, 2007, and also ask that you provide the following additional information by no later than August 4, 2008:

1. Mr. Mohammed’s visa was approved in Cairo prior to the establishment of a VSU there, years after Congress had mandated VSUs.

a. Why have so few VSUs been established thus far?

b. The law requires a VSU in all posts except those where the DHS Secretary finds that establishing a VSU is not feasible. Has the DHS Secretary determined that any particular post is unfeasible? If so when, which post(s), and why?

c. There was no VSU in place in Cairo at the time Mr. Mohamed received his visa. If there had been, it is my understanding that his application would likely have received additional scrutiny. Why was there no VSU established in Cairo at the time of Mr. Mohammed’s application?

d. What steps were taken to inquire into the circumstances of the arrest which Mohammed declared on his visa application?

e. Why does the visa application form require the applicant to indicate whether s/he has been arrested, but does not require an explanation of the circumstances of arrest disclosed?

f. When do your Departments intend to fully implement the VSU program in all issuing posts?

g. I understand that certain ambassadors in high-risk issuing posts have resisted the implementation of VSUs. What steps have been taken to ensure that ambassadors comply with the law by cooperating with DHS to establish VSUs?

2. Mr. Mohamed’s student visa was approved despite the disclosure of an arrest, and he has since admitted to engaging in material support of terrorism.

a. Why was Mohammed’s application approved?

b. My office has received information that the consular officer who approved Mr. Mohammed’s visa, and/or the consular officer’s spouse, may have been under investigation for inappropriately approving unqualified applicants for entry into the United States. Has the Diplomatic Security Service (DSS) or any other agency conducted any such investigation of the consular officer or the officer’s spouse? If so, when did the inquiry occur, what were the results, and what, if any, disciplinary actions were recommended and/or undertaken?

c. What steps have been taken to learn from this failure to properly screen visa applicants in order to ensure that it does not occur again?

If you have any questions about this request, please contact my staff at (202) 224-4515. Thank you for your prompt attention to these important matters.

Sincerely,

For Immediate Release

Monday, October 29, 2007

Grassley Seeks Documents in Arrest of Students Found with Explosive Devices

WASHINGTON – Senator Chuck Grassley today, citing the oversight responsibility of Congress, has asked Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for documents regarding Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Youssef Samir Megahed, two Egyptian University of South Florida students indicted on terrorism charges.

The charges originated from an August 4, 2007 traffic stop by a South Carolina law enforcement officer, during which explosive devices and possible bomb making materials were discovered.

Following media reports that one of the men was arrested in Egypt prior to obtaining a student visa, Grassley expressed concern about screening procedures for student visa applicants, and launched an inquiry to determine why the Egyptian was admitted to the United States. The State Department refused to provide the requested documents.

Here is a copy of today’s letter followed by Grassley’s original letter to Rice.

October 29, 2007

Via Facsimile: (202) 647-9667

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20520

Dear Secretary Rice:

On September 17, I wrote to you seeking information on how Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Youssef Samir Megahed were admitted to the United States. As you know, they have been indicted on federal terrorism and explosive charges, and some media reports have indicated that Mr. Mohamed may have been arrested in Egypt before obtaining a student visa. Given that lapses in our student visa system allowed the 9/11 hijackers easy access to the United States while planning the attacks, fewer issues are of greater concern than ensuring that we thoroughly screen student visa applicants.

Therefore, my letter asked for a copy of Mr. Mohamed’s visa application, among other things. However, I have not received a response to my letter even though it was sent over a month ago. Your staff has indicated that you will not provide the information and documents I requested, citing various reasons including 8 U.S.C. 1202(f), a statutory provision which makes records relating to the issuance or refusal of visas. However, in applying Congress's broad investigatory power to obtain access to documents containing confidential information, federal courts have expressly held that executive agencies may not deny Congress access to such documents whose disclosure to the public is otherwise statutorily barred.[1] In other words, Congress generally does not limit its own access to information unless it does so explicitly. Thus, statutes which merely contain general protection for records from “disclosure” are inapplicable to Congress.

Accordingly, please provide the requested documents and information as soon as possible. Should there be any questions regarding this matter, your staff may contact Investigative Counsel at (202) 224-4515.

[1] See e.g., F.T.C. v. Owens-Corning Fiberglass Corp., 626 F.2d 966, 970 (D..C. Cir. 1980); Exxon COT. v. F.T.C., 589 F.2d 582, 585-86 (D.C. Cir. 1978), cert denied 441 U.S. 943 (1979); Ashland Oil Co,, Inc. v. F.T.C., 548 F.2d 977, 979 (D.C. Cir. 1976).

September 17, 2007

Secretary of State

2201 C Street N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20520

Dear Secretary Rice:

As the Senior Senator from Iowa, Ranking Member on the United States Senate Committee on Finance (Committee), and a senior member of the Committee on the Judiciary it is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight into the actions of the Executive Branch, including the activities of the Department of State.

As reported in several media articles, Mr. Ahmed Abdellatif Sherif Mohamed and Mr. Youssef Samir Megahed were engineering students at the University of South Florida (USF). These two men are believed to be citizens and nationals of Egypt, and were recently indicted on federal terrorism and explosive charges. The charges originated from an August 4, 2007 traffic stop by a South Carolina law enforcement officer, during which explosive devices and possible bomb making materials were discovered. The traffic stop took place about seven miles from the Goose Creek Naval Weapons Station, which houses a military prison for enemy combatants. The articles further stated that Mr. Megahed’s immigration status is that of a United States lawful permanent resident (LPR). They go on to state that Mr. Mohamed applied for and received a U.S. Department of State F-1 nonimmigrant student visa to attend classes at USF. Moreover, Mr. Mohamed was reportedly arrested on terrorism related charges in Egypt before entering the United States.

Additionally, the articles also cite that federal and state law enforcement officers executed a federal search warrant at 12402 Pampas Place, Temple Terrace, Florida, an address linked to Messrs. Mohamed and Megahed. The list of the items seized included Xylo Xylene, odorless mineral spirits and PVC pipe, materials which could be used in the production of an improvised explosive devise (IED) or in the production of illegal substances, such as methamphetamine. It is my further understanding that the Temple Terrace residence is linked to Ramadan Abdallah Mohamed Shallah, an FBI Most Wanted terrorist that is associated with the Palestinian Islamic Jihad, a designated terrorist organization. Also, the address is linked to Tarik Hamdi, who was an al-Qaeda operative and is currently wanted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

Given this information, I am deeply concerned about the implications this case may have for our national security and the effectiveness of our screening procedures for immigrants and nonimmigrants entering this country. It is essential that Congress understand why these individuals were not excluded from admission into the United States.

Therefore, please respond to the following questions and document requests related to Messrs. Mohamed and Megahed:

1. Please provide complete copies of their passports and visa applications (forms DS-156 and DS-157), including notes, memoranda and any other information available about them.

2. Is it true, as has been reported in the press, that Mr. Mohamed was previously arrested on terrorism-related charges in Egypt? If so, please explain how he was allowed to enter the United States despite the existence of such information.

3. Do any databases that are accessible to the State Department contain information related to Messrs. Mohamed and Megahed? If so, please provide copies of any and all such records.

4. Please provide any other State Department records that contain information related to either of these individuals.

I would appreciate your prompt reply to this request but in no event later than September 24, 2007.

thank you so much cairo , i was talking to my wife about the same thing today morning ... the most of terror attacks happened by a ppl who carry a visitor or student visas . i have never heared about anyone with a CR1 or K3 or K1 .....what would make you wonder is that one of my friends who works in kuwait has his visa from kuwait consulate within 2 weeks only ( visitor visa ) and his interview was funny ..... this immigration procedure should be replaced with a better and more efficient one but i don't think that would happen so soon .

have a good weekend guys and girls , we are heading to a new week with a new hope while our missing and love to our spouses or fiancees are getting more and more . may God help us and make them issue our visa within next week :)

Timeline
It will be fun if some of us will take the same plane '' Insha'Allah'' !!!!!!!! :thumbs:

It has been almost 10 months since my interview and next month its going to be 4 years since me and my fiancee were met the first time and we still apart !! so We really need to hear good news soon .

and we need to hear good news for you man , this process remind me when i had my 56Kb/S modem and i was downlading a movie and it was taking forever , i guess now you have downladed 99% . be ready man because it's your showtime :)

Edited by disconnection

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Cairo, interesting article.

Has anyone had any bad experience with Egypt Air?

ROC Timeline

8/1/12: ROC window opens
9/4/12: ROC packet sent
9/8/12: ROC packet delivered to VSC
9/12/12: Check cashed
9/14/12: NOA letter received (NOA dated 9/10/12)
9/20/12: Biometrics letter received (Bio appointment 10/15/12)
10/12/12: Early biometrics walk-in

4/27/13: RFE received

6/17/13: RFE response sent

7/1/13: ROC petition approved

7/5/13: GC received in the mail.

Timeline

Ok.. John called DOS today twice... The first time he was told our case is now under AP... Yes, AP... :( The second time he called was to make sure it was AP and not AR.. After a long while he confirmed the info he got the first time from the other DOS representative.. Our case now is officially under AP... God knows how long we will have to wait :(:crying:

ROC Timeline

Timeline
Cairo, interesting article.

Has anyone had any bad experience with Egypt Air?

Egyptair is not the best but maybe its the cheaper .

Nothing's impossible . Nothing's unreachable .When I am weary you make me stronger

This love is beautiful .So unforgettable . I feel no winter cold when we are together .

When day turns into night .I look into your eyes . I see my future now .All the world and its wonder

This love wont fade away.And through the hardest days . I will never question us .You are the reason my only reason.

I'm blessed to find what i need in a world loosing hope. you are my only believe .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline
Ok.. John called DOS today twice... The first time he was told our case is now under AP... Yes, AP... :( The second time he called was to make sure it was AP and not AR.. After a long while he confirmed the info he got the first time from the other DOS representative.. Our case now is officially under AP... God knows how long we will have to wait :(:crying:

I'm sorry about that . but in fact it did not surprise me Aya .cause in fact i knew it and i feel it .I just did not want to say that to you cause that would make you mad at me for sure .

I hope that it wont be so long for you guys and i hope that you will hear good news soon .

Edited by Hot Guy

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline

Well still nothing from my Congressman and they won't answer my second email which is like they forgot about us. We emailed the Embassy again today. Hot Guy you say you can call a number at the Embassy and get information - what number do you have? My Husband wants to give them a call now.

Edited by ~Flower~

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
I'm sorry about that . but in fact it did not surprise me Aya .cause in fact i knew it and i feel it .I just did not want to say that to you cause that would make you mad at me for sure .

I hope that it wont be so long for you guys and i hope that you will hear good news soon .

What made you think that, HG?

ROC Timeline

Timeline
Well still nothing from my Congressman and they won't answer my second email which is like they forgot about us. We emailed the Embassy again today. Hot Guy you say you can call a number at the Embassy and get information - what number do you have? My Husband wants to give them a call now.

I called their Main number : 20-2-27972200

My fiancee did not hear from her Senator either .and i really don't know if that is going to help us knowing whats the heck is going on ?!

And they did not answer any of my Emails .

I hope that we will hear good news soon .

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline
I called their Main number : 20-2-27972200

My fiancee did not hear from her Senator either .and i really don't know if that is going to help us knowing whats the heck is going on ?!

And they did not answer any of my Emails .

I hope that we will hear good news soon .

Thanks I passed the number on to him. Is there anything special to say or does he just ask about the status of his case?

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Timeline
What made you think that, HG?

Well many things .

One of them to be honest your interview .The Egyptian woman '' the secretary'' asked you so many questions which is not normal .and i guess i know that woman '' she is a white woman and she has kinda a blond hair '' she act like she is the Ambassador but she just a secretary.

The CO asked you so so many questions maybe more than 25 questions and that's really not normal for a female to be honest .

The CO asked you for your fiance's original divorce certificate ...they really don't ask about that kinda stuff when it comes to a female .

Your fiance just visited you one time .in fact they don't like that at the embassy .

They want you to see each others so many times before you file for the visa .....

One of your interview questions was if your family approve your engagement and i guess you said no .

That's what i remember now .

I don't want you to be mad at me and i just want you know that i'm trying to help you .

Good luck and my best wishes for you .

Thanks I passed the number on to him. Is there anything special to say or does he just ask about the status of his case?

Well he can ask them about his case status . and he can ask them when they start that AP . is it a name check ? are they doing that AP in USA or in Egypt ?..........

anm68b54b0b16262b16.gif

Timeline
Well many things .

Well he can ask them about his case status . and he can ask them when they start that AP . is it a name check ? are they doing that AP in USA or in Egypt ?..........

The last email we got said we are no longer in AP we're in Consular's Final Review again. I'll tell him to ask when it started and how long it's going to take though.

Edited by ~Flower~

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.