n400time

Arrested for Red Light Camera Violation

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

After subumitting my N400 application, I was arrested for a red light camera violation. I never received this citation (issued to incorrect address), hence never attended the court. As a result, a bench warrant was issued in 2007. I received a speeding ticket a year later, but the patrol officer never told me that I had a bench warrant.

Before submitting my n400, I obtained a cover of my DMV record and no violation was noted, except for the speeding ticket I got a year. I have a court date tomorrow, and I have no problem paying for the ticket but I want the record expunge

I urgently need some suggestions on what should I take from the court tomorrow. Also, will an arrest for a red light camera traffic violation cause a delay in my N400 application?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
After subumitting my N400 application, I was arrested for a red light camera violation. I never received this citation (issued to incorrect address), hence never attended the court. As a result, a bench warrant was issued in 2007. I received a speeding ticket a year later, but the patrol officer never told me that I had a bench warrant.

Before submitting my n400, I obtained a cover of my DMV record and no violation was noted, except for the speeding ticket I got a year. I have a court date tomorrow, and I have no problem paying for the ticket but I want the record expunge

I urgently need some suggestions on what should I take from the court tomorrow. Also, will an arrest for a red light camera traffic violation cause a delay in my N400 application?

You were arrested for a simple moving violation?

K1: 01/15/2009 (mailed I-129F) - 06/23/2009 (visa received)

AOS: 08/08/2009 (mailed I-485, I-765, & I-131) - 10/29/2009 (received GC)

Timeline
Exactly my thoughts.

The fine for the ticket is $85

I mean, how do you know you were arrested? Did an officer read you your Miranda rights?

Timeline
The read me my MR. Also, I was booked, finger printed and set on bail in about 30 minutes for $170

ouch

You were arrested for a simple moving violation?

No - he was arrested because he didn't show up in court on the original ticket violation (citation).

Bench warrent was issued, he was picked up on it.

Happens all the time.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your application will most likely be denied. Since an arrest was involved you have to show good moral character for 5 years after an arrest is normally the norm. I would contact an immigration attorney and see what he/she has to say. Good luck

N-400

10/26/09 Sent application to Lewisville TX.

10/27/09 Rec'd Application signed by B. Conteh

10/29/09 Check cashed

11/02/09 Rec'd NOA date showing 10/29/09

11/09/09 Rec'd letter Bio Appointment

11/17/09 Bio Appointment 8am

11/20/09 Called FBI-Prints were sent back to USCIS same day.

12/03/09 Rec'd email from USCIS that the RFE was a mistake.

12/04/09 Rec'd email from USCIS saying that I have been transferred for an interview.

12/07/09 Rec'd letter for interview on 1/11/10 @11am in Fairfax, VA.

01/11/10 Interview completed. Passed test decision can't be made.

03/02/10 Contacted Senator's office...No reply yet!

03/04/10 Senator office called says can take up to 120 days.

04/12/10 Service request filed.

05/12/10 Contacted Senator's office again.

05/12/10 Told over the phone that I was approved. Believe it when I see it!

06/04/10 Senators office tells me the adjudicator who interviewed me thinks I have a criminal record. Send out all paper work showing no criminal record.

06/08/10 Leave for Canada

06/09/10 Get RCMP certificate showing no criminal record. Fax off to senators office.

06/23/10 Approved for Citizenship

06/24/10 USCIS contacts Senators office

06/28/10 Find out that I have been approved for citizenship and they are just waiting to schedule my oath.

07/12/10 Put in line for oath ceremony....wonder how long that will be!

08/18/10 Called USCIS confirmed they sent oath letter for 09/17/2010 at 9am.

09/17/10 Oath ceremony at 9am..... US Citizen!!!! Applied for passport.

Filed: Timeline
Your application will most likely be denied. Since an arrest was involved you have to show good moral character for 5 years after an arrest is normally the norm. I would contact an immigration attorney and see what he/she has to say. Good luck

Immigration lawyer claim it is not a big deal.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

First issue is you state it was sent to the incorrect address. If you moved and didn't change your address this is on you, not them. It is unlikely you will have the record expunged as it was YOUR fault for not ensuring your address was correct and you typically have 30 days from moving to changing your address.

Secondly, someone above stated you were arrested for the bench warrant but they cannot possibly know that. You would have been made aware at the time of WHY you were being arrested. Also, depending on how fast you were going excessive speed can result in arrest due to putting the public at risk for your excessive speed known as "reckless endangerment". This is of course all conjecture and your court case could simply be due to this first matter, and not your speeding this time, in either event it's immaterial to your question which was: "does this affect my N400 application?" as your question regarding what documents you should take to court should be directed to an attorney who knows your case.

To answer your question, please read this link: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.p...reads-merged%29 and this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632770 which seem to imply the violation isn't an issue but you MUST disclose it.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi N400time,

This is what the USCIS says about court-related records for the N-400....

Document Checklist for Form N-400, Application for Naturalization

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00048f3d6a1RCRD

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send:

An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.

If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send:

An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order).

If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send:

An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and

Evidence that you completed your sentence:

An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or

Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.

If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send:

An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or

NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like USCIS to consider.

Hope this helps too. Good luck with the rest of your journey.

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

This also happened to me. I don't know what state you are in, but if it is California, you can have this easily reduced to an infraction. When you go to your arraignment simply ask for a reduction from a misdemeanor (bench warrant for not showing up in traffic court) to an infraction.

They will in 99% of all cases allow this. If they DENY... respond that you want a TRIAL BY JURY. They must allow a trial by jury if it is anything above an infraction. Because it is so costly - the DA will drop the charges once they get the case - a trial by jury is not worth the money unless you rape, murder, drive drunk, etc. This is why this kind of offense can easily be reduced.

The KEY is to ASK for a reduction of the charge of MISDEMEANOR to an INFRACTION at your ARRAIGNMENT. Once this is granted, plea NO-CONTEST. It will be a simple infraction on your record which is the same as any standard driving violation. It won't even be a point on your record.

Whatever you do, do not plead guilty without asking for a reduction. It either must be reduction or trial by jury.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04
I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-04
NVC Received : 2010-01-12
Consulate Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22
Interview Date : 2010-02-16
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2010-02-18
US Entry : 2010-03-02
Marriage : 2010-04-21
AOS Date Filed : 2010-05-29
AOS NOA Date : 2010-06-07
Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-01
Interview Date : 2011-01-12
Approval Date : 2011-01-12
Got I551 Stamp : No
Green Card: 2011-01-22

Lifting Cond Filed: 2012-11-06

Lifting Cond NOA: 2012-11-09

Lifting Cond Bio: 2012-11-30 (early @ 2012-11-28)

Lifting Cond Approval: 2013-05-28

Lifting Cond Card: *waiting*

Oh... BTW, I've not been *arrested* for my bench warrant, but I've had the state give notice of soon pulling my license and issuing letters to my insurance company. I then went to traffic court, asked for a reduction, plead no-contest, and moved on with life.

:P

I-129F Sent : 2009-09-02
I-129F NOA1 : 2009-09-04
I-129F NOA2 : 2010-01-04
NVC Received : 2010-01-12
Consulate Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 3 Received : 2010-01-20
Packet 4 Received : 2010-01-22
Interview Date : 2010-02-16
Interview Result : Approved
Visa Received : 2010-02-18
US Entry : 2010-03-02
Marriage : 2010-04-21
AOS Date Filed : 2010-05-29
AOS NOA Date : 2010-06-07
Bio. Appt. : 2010-12-01
Interview Date : 2011-01-12
Approval Date : 2011-01-12
Got I551 Stamp : No
Green Card: 2011-01-22

Lifting Cond Filed: 2012-11-06

Lifting Cond NOA: 2012-11-09

Lifting Cond Bio: 2012-11-30 (early @ 2012-11-28)

Lifting Cond Approval: 2013-05-28

Lifting Cond Card: *waiting*

Secondly, someone above stated you were arrested for the bench warrant but they cannot possibly know that. You would have been made aware at the time of WHY you were being arrested. Also, depending on how fast you were going excessive speed can result in arrest due to putting the public at risk for your excessive speed known as "reckless endangerment". This is of course all conjecture and your court case could simply be due to this first matter, and not your speeding this time, in either event it's immaterial to your question which was: "does this affect my N400 application?" as your question regarding what documents you should take to court should be directed to an attorney who knows your case.

From the OP:

After subumitting my N400 application, I was arrested for a red light camera violation. I never received this citation (issued to incorrect address), hence never attended the court. As a result, a bench warrant was issued in 2007

What is a bench warrant?

A bench warrant is a type of arrest warrant which is issued by a judge or court, most typically when someone fails to comply with a court order or requirement. When a bench warrant is issued, law enforcement have the authority to pick up the subject of the warrant and bring him or her to court to address the charges of a bench warrant; the subject is literally brought before the judge's bench to respond to the warrant. Bench warrants are often used as tools for fighting contempt of court, a willful disregard of a court order. Some judges are more prone to issuing bench warrants than others; as a general rule, you should avoid contempt of court anyway, as the penalties can be severe.

So it was a reasonable understanding from what the OP posted.

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.