~Laura and Nick~

Canadian Cheddar and a quick hello

34 posts in this topic

Hello my fellow Canadians... :blush:

I just wanted to share something with you that I found funny.

So yesterday, Nick and I stopped by our local market to pick up some things for supper. This market has a wide array of cheeses and I found a "Canadien Sharp" cheddar...lol I then dug deeper and found the correct spelling of Canadian on the label and bought one of those :P

Anyway,

Today for lunch I made myself a sandwich and sliced open the cheese, took a bite and low and behold............... :o ...............It's the same exact cheddar that I'm use to in Canada!!! :dance: .....it's totally laughable that down here they are calling it "sharp" because this is not sharp at all, it's the regular everyday cheese that I have eaten since I was 2.

I'm excited that I found it down here...I hate the cheese that is available.

Just wanted to share :jest:

Things are going pretty well for Nick and I. Our mortgage company went under right when we put an offer in on a house but we found another one and should be closing in about 2 weeks. We are thrilled. :thumbs:

Hope everyone is doing well and happy new year to all :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow. Good news for you, Laura! Congratulations!!!

LOL about the cheddar. lol

Hiya Krikit!

How are you doing babe?!? :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Nothing like a good block of cheddar.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hello my fellow Canadians... :blush:

I just wanted to share something with you that I found funny.

So yesterday, Nick and I stopped by our local market to pick up some things for supper. This market has a wide array of cheeses and I found a "Canadien Sharp" cheddar...lol I then dug deeper and found the correct spelling of Canadian on the label and bought one of those :P

Anyway,

Today for lunch I made myself a sandwich and sliced open the cheese, took a bite and low and behold............... :o ...............It's the same exact cheddar that I'm use to in Canada!!! :dance: .....it's totally laughable that down here they are calling it "sharp" because this is not sharp at all, it's the regular everyday cheese that I have eaten since I was 2.

I'm excited that I found it down here...I hate the cheese that is available.

Just wanted to share :jest:

Things are going pretty well for Nick and I. Our mortgage company went under right when we put an offer in on a house but we found another one and should be closing in about 2 weeks. We are thrilled. :thumbs:

Hope everyone is doing well and happy new year to all :)

This is my complaint about American cheese! I miss really good cheddar. I have bought Extra sharp extra old cheddar here - and it tastes like a mild or a medium cheddar back in Canada. They have NO IDEA what a good cheese is supposed to taste like. All of the cheese -old, sharp, medium, whatever - are all mild and new cheese - nothing that has a real bite to it at all.

I have found some real Canadian cheese in Whole Foods now and again but the closest Whole Foods is on the other side of Atlanta so we don't get there very often.

I had my Dad bring me some real cheese last Spring when he came down - old chedddar from Wilton's Cheese Factory. OMG - I was in heaven while it lasted! So, enjoy your good cheese. And good luck with the house!

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed how weak the cheddar is in the U.S. When I made a recipe with it while visiting D.C. a couple months ago I just thought I'd bought the wrong brand or something.

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Yeah, I agree.

The cheddar here isn't as good as it is in Canada.

I miss my old cheddar cheese. :(

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

You guys crack me up with the cheese!

That's exactly how P is with the bread in America. He REALLY misses German bread (so do I but I weigh less without it :lol: )

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

I'm doing well. Big news for me too.... I'm moving to DC. :unsure:

Why are you moving to DC? Are you excited? Is this a good or bad thing?

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

This is my complaint about American cheese! I miss really good cheddar. I have bought Extra sharp extra old cheddar here - and it tastes like a mild or a medium cheddar back in Canada. They have NO IDEA what a good cheese is supposed to taste like. All of the cheese -old, sharp, medium, whatever - are all mild and new cheese - nothing that has a real bite to it at all.

I have found some real Canadian cheese in Whole Foods now and again but the closest Whole Foods is on the other side of Atlanta so we don't get there very often.

I had my Dad bring me some real cheese last Spring when he came down - old chedddar from Wilton's Cheese Factory. OMG - I was in heaven while it lasted! So, enjoy your good cheese. And good luck with the house!

Kathryn, Hello friend :)

Nick and I both work at WFM and to be honest, I've never really gone to specialty cheese and asked to see if they have Canadian imported cheddar...I'm sure they do, I'm just too busy when I work to notice. :lol: I'm going to ask today when I go in :)

lol I love how we all have our little gripes but honestly, the cheese here just doesn't have the same consistency and taste...it tastes too processed or something...I can't describe it. Nick loves the cheese in Canada way better too ;)

So nice to see some familiar faces on here still kickin around! :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.