18 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

OP: Heed Krikit, si man. Never underestimate or trifle with CBP.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here's the thing: CBP will not give two hoots as to what USCIS has to say since re-entry is at the discretion of the CBP and bans don't fall under the realm of USCIS authority. Consult with an attorney. With her overstay, there is a good chance she would be denied entry at the border even with her AP. I'd strongly urge you not to leave the country until the AOS is approved and you have the GC in hand.

And FYI: The K-1 visa is voided on entry into the U.S. The I-94 has the duration of the status, which is 90 days for the K-1. Why on earth would the I-94 void at the border when it is generated there itself?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Well, with a few appointments to our local office we've learned that she is NOT out of status and will be able to travel once AP is granted. No bans. That is for all other visa types that overstay. I appreciate everyone's input but I guess I should have gone to our local office first. I trust the few officers I spoke to who have worked there for many years. :D

She is not out of status now because she has filed for the AOS and upon filing her status is restored. It does not, however, erase the 'out of status' time from when the I-94 expired to when she filed. If that is more than 180 days, then when she leaves the US it will trigger an automatic 3 year ban upon re-entry. If it is more than 1 year, then it will trigger an automatic 10 year ban. The ban can be overcome but it is difficult and requires the filing of a hardship waiver wherein you have to prove the hardship to you of her not being allowed back in the US or the hardship for you for having to leave to US to wait out her ban. Work commitments and missing each other don't count as hardships. In many cases it actually means having to start the immigration paperwork all over again with a spousal visa after the ban has expired.

Once the AOS is approved then any out of status days she has are forgiven and she is free to leave and return to the US - not before - even for those who entered on a K-1. The I-94 for the K-1 is valid only for 90 days. The status given by the K-1 expires after 90 days if the couple does not marry and if they marry later, they cannot apply to adjust status based upon the K-1. Because you married within the terms of the K-1 you are allowed to adjust status based upon it but it does not negate the fact that you have accumulated out of status days from the time the I-94 expired and you applied for the AOS.

As others have stated, it is not USCIS who determines if she will be allowed back in or not. It is the border authorities. There have been enough VJers who have left the US with an AP and out of status days for us to have learned from their experiences. They are currently outside of the US having to restart the immigration process all over again - after waiting out their bans upon re-entry.

At the very least, seek out a consultation with a knowledgeable and competent immigration attorney before you make any decisions you may later regret.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.