mikelovesgracey

Afraid a dire mistake has been made..please help!

51 posts in this topic

How come nobody has moved this thread yet to its proper place? :ot2:

FAE :luv:

I'm getting to it :)

(moved from K-1 to ROC) :whistle:

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Now it makes a lot more sense, all i saw originally was the arriving on K-1 and working without authorization ( which could lead to arrest if a workplace raid happened)

Since she had her greencard she is/was authorized to work. So no problem. If you might, might be referring to not paying taxes since she received a 1099 an not a w-2 this would be addressed when she files her taxes dependent on how much she made and how much she owes total (or both of you as I always recommend running the figures both join and filing separate).

Tax records are not required for lifting conditions. They are, however, normally used to show bonafides of the marriage if you filed a joint return.

If you are a permanent resident and got a 1099, then you did not work without authorization--you worked as an independent contractor and you will owe some money to social security in addition to federal tax when you file your federal return.

Ok so working without the EAD will not be looked upon during the interview? I was just thinking that this could present a problem when they see this. I should know this because this is my second marriage to a foreigner, just can't remember what all took place last time as that was a long time ago. Thanks again John!

Now it makes a lot more sense, all i saw originally was the arriving on K-1 and working without authorization ( which could lead to arrest if a workplace raid happened)

Since she had her greencard she is/was authorized to work. So no problem. If you might, might be referring to not paying taxes since she received a 1099 an not a w-2 this would be addressed when she files her taxes dependent on how much she made and how much she owes total (or both of you as I always recommend running the figures both join and filing separate).

No Belinda it is like you initially thought. She worked without the EAD. I realize taxes will have to be paid and i'm not concerned about that. This took place before she received the green card, but since we will be interviewed to lift conditions and prove the marriage in bonafide I worry this could be looked upon.

Edited by mikelovesgracey

No Belinda it is like you initially thought. She worked without the EAD. I realize taxes will have to be paid and i'm not concerned about that.

With that being said, I wouldn't recommend people running out to work without the EAD - even though there is precedent to allow it to be "forgiven" with the conditions outlined above, you would have to pay for any lawyer/court costs if it becomes an issue and USCIS gets it in their head to deport/refuse an application...

and who needs more worries?

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

No Belinda it is like you initially thought. She worked without the EAD. I realize taxes will have to be paid and i'm not concerned about that. This took place before she received the green card, but since we will be interviewed to lift conditions and prove the marriage in bonafide I worry this could be looked upon.

It seems that people are confused. Let me see if I can clarify.

1. Before she received her greencard, she worked without an EAD.

2. She subsequently received her greencard. (Btw, did you mention her illegal work on the AOS application?)

3. It's time to remove conditions and you are afraid her illegal work will come up in the interview.

Does that about cover it?

If it doesn't come up, then obviously don't bring it up. You never want to offer any extra information. But whatever you do, DO NOT LIE about anything. Keep in mind that they may already know the answer to something, but will ask anyway just to see if you'll lie.

Edited by Eric-Pris

With that being said, I wouldn't recommend people running out to work without the EAD - even though there is precedent to allow it to be "forgiven" with the conditions outlined above, you would have to pay for any lawyer/court costs if it becomes an issue and USCIS gets it in their head to deport/refuse an application...

and who needs more worries?

Right you are Bobby....and if you do have to resort to some desperate stupid decision like this, best make sure you are 100% off the books!

It seems that people are confused. Let me see if I can clarify.

1. Before she received her greencard, she worked without an EAD.

2. She subsequently received her greencard. (Btw, did you mention her illegal work on the AOS application?)

3. It's time to remove conditions and you are afraid her illegal work will come up in the interview.

Does that about cover it?

If it doesn't come up, then obviously don't bring it up. You never want to offer any extra information. But whatever you do, DO NOT LIE about anything. Keep in mind that they may already know the answer to something, but will ask anyway just to see if you'll lie.

Yes that is all correct, except she never indicated she worked on the AOS. Thanks

Ok so working without the EAD will not be looked upon during the interview? I was just thinking that this could present a problem when they see this. I should know this because this is my second marriage to a foreigner, just can't remember what all took place last time as that was a long time ago. Thanks again John!

Hey John you still here?

Can anyone else verify this won't become an issue at the interview? I'm not a 100% John was clear on the circumstances earlier. Thanks

Edited by mikelovesgracey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Yes that is all correct, except she never indicated she worked on the AOS. Thanks

Did she get her job here in US before you filed for AOS or after?

------- @>-@>-@>--------

AOS

Jul 23, 2008 ---> Mailed AOS, EAD and AP package

July 27, 2008 ---> check cleared

Jul 29, 2008 ---> NOA Date

Aug 2, 2008 ---> received confirmation mail for AOS, EAD and AP

Aug 9, 2008 ---> received biometrics appointment letter

Aug 21, 2008 ---> BIOMETRICS schedule at 3 pm

Aug 12, 2008 ---> took Biometrics in advance as a walk in

Aug 12, 2008 ---> touched

Aug 18, 2008 ---> I-485 notice of transfer to CSC

Sept 23, 2008 ---> touched

Nov 18, 2008 ---> GC RECEIVED!!!

EAD

Sept 30, 2008 ---> Card production ordered <expect to receive within 30 days>

Oct 11, 2008 ---> EAD received

AP

Sept 30, 2008 ---> AP approved <NOA mailed>

Oct 10, 2008 ---> AP received

ROC

Oct 11, 2010 ---> Mailed ROC packet

Oct 12, 2010 ---> Signed for and received by destination

Oct 14, 2010 ---> Money order cashed

Oct 18, 2010 ---> NOA1 received in mail

Nov 15, 2010 ---> Biometrics and fingerprinting appointment

Jan 28, 2011 ---> ROC approved

Jan 31, 2011 ---> Card mailed out

Feb 2, 2011 ---> Card received in the mail.

Did she get her job here in US before you filed for AOS or after?

AOS was filed a few months after she worked there and it wasn't reported. She worked there about 5 months and during her next job did have the EAD. Thanks

AOS was filed a few months after she worked there and it wasn't reported. She worked there about 5 months and during her next job did have the EAD. Thanks

Can anyone verify this won't become an issue at the interview? Thanks so much.

Right you are Bobby....and if you do have to resort to some desperate stupid decision like this, best make sure you are 100% off the books!

erm - working "off the books" and not declaring it on income taxes is illegal.

It's what brought down Al Capone :)

Can anyone verify this won't become an issue at the interview? Thanks so much.

It won't - read the link from the lawyer I gave you :)

erm - working "off the books" and not declaring it on income taxes is illegal.

It's what brought down Al Capone :)

Man this post is getting confusing, maybe because I'm not being clear enough. She intends on paying her taxes even though the 16th amendment is a farce, the IRS has the guns and power so no the taxes will be paid that was never an issue. What I was saying was that she never reported the job when filing the AOS.

Ok I'm going to look for your link now Bobby I didn't think it posed . but I will go double check. If not can you send it again please? And thanks again for all your help you are giving. i hope this post will help others.

It won't - read the link from the lawyer I gave you :)

First, the 1099 does not show when she worked just the year and the employer. Second, if they ask specifically about the dates of the work (which I doubt they will do) just be honest about it. If you use a tax transcript I am not so sure the income even shows who earned it.

I don't think anyone can comfort your nerves on this one,,, The government is not good about sharing information with other agencies and I think they will focus on the relationship bonafides,,, not, your employment. Just a thought...

Good Luck,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.