BTalley

Russian movies with English subtitles

40 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

Cranes are Flying, Moscow Does not believe in tears, and Ballad of a Soldier were all good movies. I also liked Steam Roller and the Violin. Never watch Russian Arc! Little Vera was more of a "statement" movie released during a thaw in censorship so it was naturally "rebellious".

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Cranes are Flying, Moscow Does not believe in tears, and Ballad of a Soldier were all good movies. I also liked Steam Roller and the Violin. Never watch Russian Arc! Little Vera was more of a "statement" movie released during a thaw in censorship so it was naturally "rebellious".

My personal favorite is "Rocco Does St. Petersburg." Not PG-13.

My personal favorite is "Rocco Does St. Petersburg." Not PG-13.

That got 9.5 out of 10 stars!

If you liked that one you may want to check out For Love, Money or a Green Card.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know if anybody else here has it -- and this is somewhat off topic since there are no subtitles -- but AT&T's UVERSE (IPTV, Internet, VOIP) offers Russia's Channel 1 and RTR in their lineup for $20 for both.

As was noted in the other threads, the more Russian-language "crutches" around, the less likely they are to learn English. While I'm all for having a taste of home and it is nice for them to have TV1, etc., I think that's only for after they learn English.

If your girl (and kids) isn't fully into English, you may want to hold off on getting the Russian channels, translation devices, etc. "Force" them to learn English through immersion. It's the most effective way, especially when coupled with other things like ESL classes, language programs, tutors, etc.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As was noted in the other threads, the more Russian-language "crutches" around, the less likely they are to learn English. While I'm all for having a taste of home and it is nice for them to have TV1, etc., I think that's only for after they learn English.

If your girl (and kids) isn't fully into English, you may want to hold off on getting the Russian channels, translation devices, etc. "Force" them to learn English through immersion. It's the most effective way, especially when coupled with other things like ESL classes, language programs, tutors, etc.

Yeah no kidding.

We go to Russians houses often and they are exclusive Russian channel watchers many can hardly speak english .. ten years after being here.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

My wife just gave me a hard time about not sending her to ESL classes right away. She took the class about a year and a half after being here and just the other day, wanted to bring it up again. She thinks she should've gone to ESL classes right away.

So, consider finding an ESL class or some other English classes for your girl to take soon after her arrival.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So, consider finding an ESL class or some other English classes for your girl to take soon after her arrival.

First class is today for Daria. Basically 2 weeks after POE

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

We were able to get two Russian movies off TCM, the Cranes are Flying and Dersu Azula. Both were done well but very different periods. The Cranes is about World War II and Dersu is about exploring Siberia at the beginning of the 20th century for the Tsar.

My stepson is able to download movies online and occasionally finds some good Russian movies. We watched one about a year ago that was made in the 70's. It was done well and was about Stalin's purge. It scared the hell out of me. And most of us think that Hitler was the worst leader.

First class is today for Daria. Basically 2 weeks after POE

Great job!

about Stalin's purge. It scared the hell out of me. And most of us think that Hitler was the worst leader.

You should google "Mao" and read up on that dude. He's definitely on the devil's "go pick a pineapple" list too.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.