BTalley

Russian movies with English subtitles

40 posts in this topic

but ... i doubt that you really should watch any Russian movie.

I know, they're so hard to understand and all. Someone like me lacks the depth necessary to understand drama and plots more complex than your average action movie.

"America, ** yeah!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local Russian stores have a pretty good selection of subtitled movies. I never have time to watch them.... just saying.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• 3 months later...
Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Here You can find movies translated and dubbed in to Russian with Russian-English Audio and Subtitles on DVD.

http://www.russiancddvd.com/movies.html

You can select English audio with Russian Subtitles or turn to Russian audio and English Subtitles.

Or Russian Audio and Subtitles.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife found a site where she can download (for a small fee) all kinds of Russian movies and concerts.

But she would like for me to be able to understand the things she watches, too. Are there any channels that show Russian movies with English subtitles? Any good sites that offer this?

I am going to suggest something you may think is strange but it is what Alla did and also what is recommended by many ESL teachers. Watch English language movies WITH English sub-titles. Even the "hearing impaired" subtitles will work. Alla did speak English quite well before she arrived and maybe that makes a difference, but she found in the movies they were talking too fast, or too quiet or used too much slang or there was too much background noise and she couldn't concentrate. She watched movies like that for several months but doesn't more.

Pasha, who did not speak English nearly as well when he arrived, was not allowed to watch Russian language films, he watched English with English sub-titles. Now he speaks English very well, knows ALL the slang and teaches Alla what it means, with little accent (Alla has a very heavy accent) and now he can watch Russian films or speak Russian at home. It was "English only" for a few months.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I know, they're so hard to understand and all. Someone like me lacks the depth necessary to understand drama and plots more complex than your average action movie.

"America, ** yeah!"

I like the old Russian movies, especially since we still ride on the same trolley cars and busses they show in them. :rofl:

Watch the film "Heart of the Dog". I think it was done in the 30's and seemed to me to be very subversive as Soviet films go, but of course, in the end the true message of the greater glory of communism comes through! Anyway. we saw this just after returning from Ukraine last summer. In the opening scene is a street scene in Moscow..and I said to Alla "Hey, we just rode on that same trolley car 3 days ago!" She hit me.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Watch the film "Heart of the Dog". I think it was done in the 30's and seemed to me to be very subversive as Soviet films go, but of course, in the end the true message of the greater glory of communism comes through! Anyway. we saw this just after returning from Ukraine last summer. In the opening scene is a street scene in Moscow..and I said to Alla "Hey, we just rode on that same trolley car 3 days ago!" She hit me.

Bulgakov's "Heart of a Dog" was written in 1925 but the movie was shot in 1988.

You must be delusional if you saw communism glorified in that movie.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

MMart...no way! No way that film was shot in 1988. You must be thinking of a remake or something? The one I saw was pretty harsh on communism in general until the end.

Is there a remake of it? Even the Russians could not have been that bad technically in 1988. This film makes a Laurel and Hardy film look hi-tech.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Obvioulsy you are a bit confused, Mart. The book was prohibited in Russia until 1987. The movie was made long before then. Not sure of the year, I can check it out, if I was interested, but I am not. Mox can point you to the wikipedia listing for it if he wants to back me up...probably not. In this case wikipedia will not be a good source since it agrees with me. In any case, I don't post links to wiki or other stuff because I really don't care if you agree with me or want to be wrong. Maybe I just made up the name of the film and the opening scene and the joke about trolley cars.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Two posts, both of which contained personal attacks as well as 'hijacking' the thread, have been removed.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

MMart...no way! No way that film was shot in 1988. You must be thinking of a remake or something? The one I saw was pretty harsh on communism in general until the end.

Is there a remake of it? Even the Russians could not have been that bad technically in 1988. This film makes a Laurel and Hardy film look hi-tech.

I suggest American Gladiators for you

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Gonna have to chime in on this one as far as the Netflix goes... yeah, Little Vera was ok (with sarcastic inflection lol) I actually enjoyed "4" and as for the actual DVDs check out "1612" and Diamond Arm. Happy Birthday, Lola is a good, campy comedy. House of Fools was watchable, but not my favorite. And The Ark was kinda cute. Anyway, just a few thoughts and recommendations for those with Netflix.

There are only four question of any value in this life, Don Octavio; what is sacred, of what is the spirit made, what is worth living for and what is worth dieing for. The answer to each is the same - only love. ~Don Juan DeMarco

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.