BTalley

Russian movies with English subtitles

40 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife found a site where she can download (for a small fee) all kinds of Russian movies and concerts.

But she would like for me to be able to understand the things she watches, too. Are there any channels that show Russian movies with English subtitles? Any good sites that offer this?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have had some pretty good luck at the video store in the foreign films section. But finding things online might be pretty tough. My stepson is always downloading films but depending upon the source they may or may not have the English subtitles. I have found that I am able to follow the story even when I can't understand the dialog. Having my wife or stepson there to give me small updates on things in the movie really help.

Occasionally you might find a Russian movie that was released to the West on Turner Classic Movies, but those are pretty few.

Sorry, I know this isn't much help. I understand your wife's desire for you to follow the storyline. My wife has used the closed captioning on the TV to improve her English understanding.

Filed: Timeline

There are roughly 20 Russian films available on Netflix through their "Watch Instantly" service, and at least the few we've watched have English subtitles "burned in" (meaning you can't turn them on or off). They do rotate films in and out, but last time I checked (Netflix blocked here at work) it looked to be about the same collection as 6 months ago, and quite frankly the collection isn't too good. You can watch these "Watch Instantly" films on your computer, or on your TV through your XBox or Roku box, and I hear pretty soon you can watch via your Wii. If you get DVD's via Netflix your access to Russian movies with English subtitles expands somewhat, but it's still pretty slim pickings.

As 1HappyGuy says, there don't seem to be a lot of options out there.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
My wife found a site where she can download (for a small fee) all kinds of Russian movies and concerts.

But she would like for me to be able to understand the things she watches, too. Are there any channels that show Russian movies with English subtitles? Any good sites that offer this?

Super easy. Subtitles for movie files are plain text files. There are dozens of sites that have the subtitle files out there. www.opensubtitle.org You copy the text file and name it the same as the movie file. i.e. LostInTranslation.SRT The text file uses time codes to [01:11:36] [2 sec] "Some Text Here" to know when to show the subtitle and for how long. The great thing is you could also get Russian subtitles for English language movies.

If the movie is a streaming movie here is a guide that shows you how to use Firefox / VLC and subtitle text files to watch the movie.

http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/index.php?showtopic=125411

Edited by BluesTraveler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

http://torrents.ru/

Just ask your wife to set up the account there. She might have luck finding subtitles there.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Do not.....I repeat, Do not watch "Little Vera" it is absolutely horrible. I just saved you 2 hours that you would never gotten back.

K-1,VSC, Moscow Consulate

I-129F sent:2009-06-04

NOA1: 2009-06-09

NOA2: 2009-09-16

NVC Received: 2009-09-17

NVC Left: 2009-09-22

Consulate Received: 2009-09-25

Medical: IOM, Moscow, 2009-12-07

Interview: 2009-12-08

Visa Received: 2009-12-14

Arrival to USA: 2010-01-15

Marriage: 2010-03-27

AOS, EAD, AP

CIS Office: Charleston, SC

Filed AOS Package: 2010-05-26

NOA: 2010-06-04

Bio Appt: 2010-07-09

AOS Transfer to CSC: 2010-06-30

EAD Card Production Order: 2010-08-04

AP Received: 2010-08-09

ROC

I-751 sent: 2012-7-11

NOA-1: 2012-8-1

Bio-Appointment: 2012-9-19

Do not.....I repeat, Do not watch "Little Vera" it is absolutely horrible. I just saved you 2 hours that you would never gotten back.

I have a general rule about Russian movies - Do not watch them unless subtitles are unnecessary.

That pretty much leaves war movies, action movies, ah.. more war movies. I will not watch movies about Dyet Moroz and/or Snee Gorochka, anything released prior to 2000, and absolutely nothing animated. Sorry, I'm just not interested in a sh!tty movie simply because they happen to be speaking Russian.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I have a general rule about Russian movies - Do not watch them unless subtitles are unnecessary.

That pretty much leaves war movies, action movies, ah.. more war movies. I will not watch movies about Dyet Moroz and/or Snee Gorochka, anything released prior to 2000, and absolutely nothing animated. Sorry, I'm just not interested in a sh!tty movie simply because they happen to be speaking Russian.

Slim, don't be hatin' yo!

Lots of movies, even from the 50's are pretty damn good. Just like lots of American movies prior to 2000 are good.

Then again, it's a subjective opinion and each of us is entitled to have one, in a way.

But I'm just saying, I like old Russian movies. I've gone as far as subtitle some of them personally for some friends because they were interested.

Your general rule can basically be applied to any foreign movie, which, like you said, leaves just stupid action movies and war movies.

Слава Україні!

--------------------
Full Timeline

chimpanzee.jpg

Timeline

Actually, most movies (in any language) are not worth watching with subtitles. That is, most movies are bad even in the original language. When you lose that little bit more that is always lost in translation, it really takes a stellar movie to really be worth it. Granted, sometimes the acting is so bad that it gets better with subtitles, but those movies weren't worth watching in any language.

The only movie I have really thought was worth the subtitles was "Life is Beautiful."

Timeline

I watched "2001 A Space Odyssey" when I was in France, then watched it in English when I got back stateside....... Made more sense in French :wacko:

AOS, EAD, AP

ROC

Your general rule can basically be applied to any foreign movie, which, like you said, leaves just stupid action movies and war movies.

:thumbs: And that's pretty much all I watch in America too.

I will catch a low-brow comedy here and there too.

As for subtitles, I like to watch movies in their original language without subtitles. Subtitles or voice-overs take so much away from the actor's tone and inflection - and that takes away from their character. "I will avenge my brother's death, word is bond!"

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

It was the only one on netflix internet on demand and me and my buddy were trying to find a movie we all could watch (me, s/o. friend)..... we all agreed it sucked no matter what language it was in. :lol:

AOS, EAD, AP

ROC

Timeline

Slim 90% of good movies were filmed before 2000.

Today just few are ok.. You can try to watch "Inhabitted Island' but ... i doubt that you really should watch any Russian movie.

Enjoy South Park.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-24

NVC received: 2009-10-02

Yellow Envelope received: 2009-10-26

Interview - Dec 18, 2009 :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.