MRStee

Yardies a home and a farrin (Part 22)

5,017 posts in this topic

I just got off the phone with the IRS cause I was doing my taxes online and they ask the question if you are not a citizen or resident alien. If you select that option it tells you to fill out a 1040 NR and I know he is not a non resident alien but I went though the whole scenario to make sure.

Hr Block states:

U.S. Citizen or Resident Alien

You're a U.S. citizen if you were born in the United States, have been naturalized, or have at least 1 parent who was a U.S. citizen, and met specific conditions of U.S. residence at the time of your birth. Resident alien status is determined by possession of a green card and by meeting the permanent resident or the substantial presence test under immigration laws.

( that last statement is what threw me off)

So of course I go to good ol publication 519

Further explanation on the H&R site I just found

Usually nonresident aliens and dual-status aliens (part-year residents who are not U.S. citizens) can't file a joint return. However, a nonresident or dual-status alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien can file a joint return.In that case, both spouses are treated as full-year U.S. residents, and are taxed on their world-wide income. For more information, see IRS Publication 519 at www.irs.gov for details.

Option to file as a U.S. resident

If your spouse is a U.S. citizen or resident on the last day of the tax year, you can choose to file as a U.S. resident, and file a joint return with your spouse on Form 1040, Form 1040A or Form 1040-EZ. This includes situations in which your spouse is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the year, but a resident alien at the end of the year. Using this option might reduce your tax liability because you can claim dependency exemptions and the standard deduction, but you will not be allowed to take advantage of any tax treaty benefits. See the discussion on how to make this choice on pages 10 and 11 of Publication 519.

Called the IRS she did the presence test and he has been here longer than 183 days and entered as a permanent resident married to a US citizen so I can file 1040 jointly and not need to send any documentation to the IRS declaring wanting to be considered a resident alien for tax purposes as he is a resident.

Lawd all this was working on my nerves LOL. Anyone on a CR1 care to chime in on this one, it made my head hurt LOL

My coworker's Husband is from Antigua and she used Turbo tax and this issue never came up LOL and our Husband's have the same status.

The IRS told me to un-check that box we are good!

Ouch Philly, that made my head hurt.... :blink:

Removal of Conditions Journey

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/02/2012-Packaged arrived at Vermont Service Center-Signed by D. Renaud

04/05/2012- check cashed

04/07/2012- Recvd NOA in mail dated 04/03/2012

05/14/12-Biometrics Appointment- Completed

12/31/12-Production of card ordered text/email

mjnrabxt.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
ok cool, let me know I'll hook u up!

haaaa I miss that show, there is supposed to be a reunion special coming soon

Who you telling I tease Damian and tell him he bleach you are not the man I married haaa he too brown :yes: ! When his Bredren see him deh will be speechless!

LMAO... OMG and his foot bottom dem pretty and soft. Took a lot of work. I told him he's not going to be able to walk around without shoes on when he goes down to JA. lol His feet are going to hurt.

ROC

Filed at Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing date:--------08-02-2011

Express Mail card recd stating package was recd on: 08-03-2011

NOA1 rec'd dated:-------08-04-2011

Check Cashed:-----------08-08-2011

Biometrics Appt scheduled for: ----09-23-2011

I just got off the phone with the IRS cause I was doing my taxes online and they ask the question if you are not a citizen or resident alien. If you select that option it tells you to fill out a 1040 NR and I know he is not a non resident alien but I went though the whole scenario to make sure.

Hr Block states:

You're a U.S. citizen if you were born in the United States, have been naturalized, or have at least 1 parent who was a U.S. citizen, and met specific conditions of U.S. residence at the time of your birth. Resident alien status is determined by possession of a green card and by meeting the permanent resident or the substantial presence test under immigration laws.

Usually nonresident aliens and dual-status aliens (part-year residents who are not U.S. citizens) can't file a joint return. However, a nonresident or dual-status alien married to a U.S. citizen or resident alien can file a joint return.In that case, both spouses are treated as full-year U.S. residents, and are taxed on their world-wide income. For more information, see IRS Publication 519 at www.irs.gov for details.

If your spouse is a U.S. citizen or resident on the last day of the tax year, you can choose to file as a U.S. resident, and file a joint return with your spouse on Form 1040, Form 1040A or Form 1040-EZ. This includes situations in which your spouse is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the year, but a resident alien at the end of the year. Using this option might reduce your tax liability because you can claim dependency exemptions and the standard deduction, but you will not be allowed to take advantage of any tax treaty benefits. See the discussion on how to make this choice on pages 10 and 11 of Publication 519.

Called the IRS she did the presence test and he has been here longer than 183 days and entered as a permanent resident married to a US citizen so I can file 1040 jointly and not need to send any documentation to the IRS declaring wanting to be considered a resident alien for tax purposes as he is a resident.

Lawd all this was working on my nerves LOL. Anyone on a CR1 care to chime in on this one, it made my head hurt LOL

My coworker's Husband is from Antigua and she used Turbo tax and this issue never came up LOL and our Husband's have the same status.

Philly, I am not counting the days to see if 183 days are met. So, I will uncheck the box, since he is a LPR.

Timeline
They'll say he has a good WIFE! That's what everyone told my husband...wah else dem fi seh.

Mich -- I'll call you in a little it's crazy here today.

(((((((((chups)))))))))))

I hope so.... Ok, I'll be here.

ROC

Timeline
Sounds yummy, Irie! :thumbs:

Hi SunRay, I definitely agree with that statement. I don't even eat that much but I keep getting a lil' bit more juicier :whistle:

Me either, I never eat all of my food. I guess I just eat the wrong "ish....

ROC

Timeline
Good afternoon Ladies....

Hi Roxcie... How's the hubby doing these days?

Edited by *SunRay*

ROC

Me either, I never eat all of my food. I guess I just eat the wrong "ish....

Ditto! Same here, I'm a sucker for breads! I told myself that this is the year to start taking better care of myself so I'm slowly trying to do better. I LOVE to eat so.... :whistle:

03/30/2012-I-751 sent to Vermont Service Center (USPS Priority Mail w/delivery confirmation)

04/05/2012- check cashed

mjnrabxt.png

LMAO... OMG and his foot bottom dem pretty and soft. Took a lot of work. I told him he's not going to be able to walk around without shoes on when he goes down to JA. lol His feet are going to hurt.

Sunny this is too funny it's like we have the same identical issues haaaaa, girl I told Damian his feet looked like the creature PumpkinHead before he met me ! I have been working on them thangs for a year and change! Finally he is beach ready :rofl: you know the Sally Henson clear pink polish? Thats what I used to get the color right on the nail cause they were a hot mess. ( he would :bonk: me if he knew I posted this ) :yes:

Den's girl yes the verbiage in the documents get a little confusing, glad I had a Sistah from the IRS she was right on time!

Thanks Rxcie I needed a second pair of eyes, now I am waiting for the other Vets and Nat :star::lol:

****ROC VSC****

Submitted I-751: 3/9/11

NOA1: 3/15/11

Biometrics Appointment:5/2/11

Early Bio Walk-In: 4/8/11

Approved: 9/23/11

Green Card Received: 9/30/11

Good afternoon Ladies....

Good afternoon, TGIF!

04/05/2012- check cashed

mjnrabxt.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Saint Lucia
Timeline

Phillllly! I am watching precious and it stops at 55 minutes... what do I do now?

June 29 2009: Green Card Received

March 6 2011: Lifting Conditions

June 6 2012: Apply for US Citizenship

fkn0hd.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Sunny this is too funny it's like we have the same identical issues haaaaa, girl I told Damian his feet looked like the creature PumpkinHead before he met me ! I have been working on them thangs for a year and change! Finally he is beach ready :rofl: you know the Sally Henson clear pink polish? Thats what I used to get the color right on the nail cause they were a hot mess. ( he would :bonk: me if he knew I posted this ) :yes:

Den's girl yes the verbiage in the documents get a little confusing, glad I had a Sistah from the IRS she was right on time!

Thanks Rxcie I needed a second pair of eyes, now I am waiting for the other Vets and Nat :star::lol:

Raises hand for the man with messed up feet as well! I actually brought a Mr. Pumice down last trip and left it there :rofl: :rofl:

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
They'll say he has a good WIFE! That's what everyone told my husband...wah else dem fi seh.

Mich -- I'll call you in a little it's crazy here today.

(((((((((chups)))))))))))

I love you though and Im glad you are okay. I hope you feel better mi sista.. (F)(L)

I was so busy watching precious, I forgot I was supposed to be chatting with my VJ family lol

Timeline
Ditto! Same here, I'm a sucker for breads! I told myself that this is the year to start taking better care of myself so I'm slowly trying to do better. I LOVE to eat so.... :whistle:

I told myself a lot of things and haven't done anything yet. I'm a total hot mess and I know it. I went away to NY last weekend and when I got home and got in bed with Hubby, he grabbed me and said honey Mi miss yuh fat body. LMAO

Raises hand for the man with messed up feet as well! I actually brought a Mr. Pumice down last trip and left it there :rofl: :rofl:

Oh God Sus, I did that when Ray was still living in JA and he continued using one when he got here. Now, his feet are as soft as a babies azz.. No joke!

ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hr Block states:

Funny you should discuss this.. now I know you guys are a CR-1 and we are K-1. I used turbo tax and it didn't come up either, however, I need to look at I think its chapter 7, because I think there is a form we need to fill out saying that we agree to file jointly. Before I go any further let me find it....

I just filed mine yesterday and the IRS has accepted both my Federal and state..

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.