Team J and B

Got Baby? Avez vous un bebe?

2,143 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh, insurance. This morning I received a job offer in Memphis, TN. It i through the same organization that I am currently working for so same salary and benefits. But I would have to move 11 hours away from most of my family and it doesn't seem that DH would have employment really easily. If I don't take it all our prenatal care would be out of pocket, but since I am the USC I guess I may be eligible for medicaid. But then will the government get bent out of shape since I am my husband's financial sponsor even though he still has a job and benefits.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ugh, insurance. This morning I received a job offer in Memphis, TN. It i through the same organization that I am currently working for so same salary and benefits. But I would have to move 11 hours away from most of my family and it doesn't seem that DH would have employment really easily. If I don't take it all our prenatal care would be out of pocket, but since I am the USC I guess I may be eligible for medicaid. But then will the government get bent out of shape since I am my husband's financial sponsor even though he still has a job and benefits.

You as the USC are allowed to use Medicaid if you qualify. It will not effect things down the road for your husband the government wont get bent out of shape that you used it.

Moving 11 hours away from family is tough.

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Timeline

Health insurance is so stressful. I'm just so used to Canada's system and now being pregnant, it is overwhelming since obviously we don't want to lose the health insurance. But we can barely afford it as it is and when the baby comes it will be another $400 a month to convert to a family plan. Not including co-pays and such of course. Sigh, who designed this system. AGH!

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

personally I don't mind paying. I think I am getting better care here then I would have back in Canada specially with having a high risk pregnancy...

plus I have more choice with what doctors or hospital I want to go to..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

my husband said that maybe we should apply for WIC. We don't even qualify as my husband makes more then the allowable limit. He says he is worried about the cost of formula, although I will be breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months. What peeves me off is that he has no problems spending $60 to $80 a month on cigarettes. That would pay for a few containers of formula.. He has promised to quit before the baby is born but I am not holding my breath..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

my husband said that maybe we should apply for WIC. We don't even qualify as my husband makes more then the allowable limit. He says he is worried about the cost of formula, although I will be breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months. What peeves me off is that he has no problems spending $60 to $80 a month on cigarettes. That would pay for a few containers of formula.. He has promised to quit before the baby is born but I am not holding my breath..

Smoking is a terrible habit and so hard to quit. Has he tried those electric cigarettes, he would still get the nicotine but not all the other bad stuff, might help to wean off the real ones. But I'm not a smoker so just crazy thoughts.

Breast feeding is a great way to save money on top of all the benefits, it can be a pain in the butt at first and makes formula seem easy but once you get it down pat you got it made. I'm still at it with Alexis she's almost 23 months here I didn't plan to go this long I figured a year was good, but she has other plans.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

Smoking is a terrible habit and so hard to quit. Has he tried those electric cigarettes, he would still get the nicotine but not all the other bad stuff, might help to wean off the real ones. But I'm not a smoker so just crazy thoughts.

Breast feeding is a great way to save money on top of all the benefits, it can be a pain in the butt at first and makes formula seem easy but once you get it down pat you got it made. I'm still at it with Alexis she's almost 23 months here I didn't plan to go this long I figured a year was good, but she has other plans.

a smoker has to want to quit.. no amount of begging and pleading is going to make them stop. He doesn't seem to want to quit even though he says he does.. :( I just don't want that around our baby. He doesn't smoke around me but the smell does come in on his clothes, hair etc...

I have never been into the idea of breastfeeding just because it seemed weird to me but I know it is best for the baby. I plan on doing some pumping too because I want my husband to be able to feed the baby sometimes. I pumped after my first baby was born, he was being fed by IV but they told me I could stock pile it for when he could use it. Anyways, I produced a tonne of milk. The lactation nurse was shocked on how much milk I got my first time..lol After about 12 days I think I had about 90 ounces that I donated but that was after having to dump probably about 30 to 40 ounces because I ran out of bottles..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

a smoker has to want to quit.. no amount of begging and pleading is going to make them stop. He doesn't seem to want to quit even though he says he does.. :( I just don't want that around our baby. He doesn't smoke around me but the smell does come in on his clothes, hair etc...

I have never been into the idea of breastfeeding just because it seemed weird to me but I know it is best for the baby. I plan on doing some pumping too because I want my husband to be able to feed the baby sometimes. I pumped after my first baby was born, he was being fed by IV but they told me I could stock pile it for when he could use it. Anyways, I produced a tonne of milk. The lactation nurse was shocked on how much milk I got my first time..lol After about 12 days I think I had about 90 ounces that I donated but that was after having to dump probably about 30 to 40 ounces because I ran out of bottles..

Yes you're right they have to want it and really want it. My parents say all the time that it's time to quit but they never do. I hate the stink off the cloths too, we are headed to see my parents this summer and I dread having Alexis and myself in that stink. UHGG I could go on but I won't.

As for Breastfeeding I thought it was weird when I had my first I didn't last long. For the amount of milk you were producing you must of been pumping like a crazy women. You may want to hold off pumping this time for a couple of weeks so you don't end up with an over supply. It sounds like you diffenitly had one.

Some women just don't like BF so they exclusively pump and that works for them. It's just a lot more work, too much work for me :P

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

Yes you're right they have to want it and really want it. My parents say all the time that it's time to quit but they never do. I hate the stink off the cloths too, we are headed to see my parents this summer and I dread having Alexis and myself in that stink. UHGG I could go on but I won't.

As for Breastfeeding I thought it was weird when I had my first I didn't last long. For the amount of milk you were producing you must of been pumping like a crazy women. You may want to hold off pumping this time for a couple of weeks so you don't end up with an over supply. It sounds like you diffenitly had one.

Some women just don't like BF so they exclusively pump and that works for them. It's just a lot more work, too much work for me :P

thank goodness he doesn't smoke in the house but he does smoke in his car. Thankfully we just bought a new vehicle which he is forbidden from smoking in..

I actually didn't pump that often.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

thank goodness he doesn't smoke in the house but he does smoke in his car. Thankfully we just bought a new vehicle which he is forbidden from smoking in..

I actually didn't pump that often.

Wow that for sure was a lot of milk.

Spoiler

Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Filed 03/08/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

Timeline

David quit cold turkey almost 2 years ago. He still has cravings especially if hes stressed out from work etc. There have been a couple of times he will come home from being a friends houses who smoke a ton and he knows damn well he comes in puts his clothes in a bag and goes straight in the damn shower before coming near me. That is one of my biggest rules whiles pregnant. During winter its even worse since the cold makes the smell just stick to everything.

Our new car, well we have had it for a few months now, he knows i don't want ANY one smoking in it either since i drive and also the baby is going to be in it. no second hand smoke and no nasty roof stains etc for me tyvm. He must love me lol since he agreed to those rules :) I remember him spending like 60$ a carton on cigs every WEEK a few years ago, and here in Chicago we have the highest price in the country iirc, with like a 4 $ tax or something like that per pack! they keep putting another 1$ tax on them every year.

I want to breastfeed, not to save money ( but look at those formula prices) but also because i know its so much better for the baby. Another money saving idea and one i intend to do is make my own baby food. I love cooking and have a ton of equipment already, and i'd prefer fresh fruits and veggies which i can get relatively cheap here at the market rather than the bottles of really pricey stuff that have a ton of other preservatives etc in em.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was at the pharmacy today and went down the baby aisle. Baby formula is locked up behind plastic see threw walls! I looked at the prices and knew why! And it isn't even enough to last for so long. Breastfeeding twins will be a trip, but definitely cheaper than formula. Feed the mama, feed the mama!

I will have to look into WIC. Once I am unemployed in June, I really don't know what the future will hold. I really don't think moving to Memphis would be the best right now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.