bradcanuck

10 months to citizenship. I am going to do it.

120 posts in this topic

Does that count towards what?

Maybe not outright, but taking citizenship just to get a job or because you think it's a prize, or so you don't have to pay the immigration fees is tantamount to saying it.

Well whatever people's reasons for obtaining citizenship or not are personal ones and whether you or anyone else approves or disproves is irrevelent. Who determines what a good reason is? Who sets the standard?

I'm only in the beginning stages of this whole process but I've been thinking about this. I initially had Italian citizenship and had to give that up to come to Canada and have been since I was a child. I'm definitely considering US citizenship, and while I haven't made any firm decisions, let alone that I'm nowhere near going there anyway, I think there are many benefits ie full protection under the Constitution of the United States, federal job opportunities, increased security with respect to immigration issues, completing and finalizing a long immigration journey, being a formal citizen of one of the greatest countries in the world, and ending the sponsor's responsiblity to name a few.

I would not give up my Canadian citizenship and would be proud to have both Canadian and US.

Edited by zenaxe

2007 Nov 30: Met in Las Vegas, Nevada

2009 Jul 13: Proposed/Engaged in Sedona, Arizona

2009 Dec 26: Married in Tucson, Arizona

USCIS

2009 Dec 30: Filed I-130

2010 Jan 02: I-130 delivered

2010 Jan 07: NOA1 - email - CSC

2010 Jan 11: Received NOA1 hardcopy

2010 Mar 24: NOA2 - email & text - NVC

2010 Mar 29: Received NOA2 hardcopy

I-130 was approved in 76 days from NOA1 date

NVC

2010 Mar 30: NVC received - case# assigned - emails given to NVC

2010 Mar 30: Opted in - DS3032 emailed to NVC

2010 Mar 31: Received AOS bill & DS3032 - paid AOS

2010 Apr 05: Online payment portal confirms paid AOS(Apr 2 processing date)

2010 Apr 05: Sent I-864 package

2010 Apr 15: EP confirmation email

2010 Apr 15: IV bill generated & paid

2010 Apr 15: Email confirmation - receipt of DS3032

2010 Apr 16: IV bill confirmed paid - sent DS230 package

2010 Apr 19: NVC operator confirms I864 & DS230 documents have been received

2010 Apr 21: AVR confirms all documents received Apr 19th

2010 Apr 23: Email from NVC: case complete - confirmed by NVC - sign in fail

Completed in 24 days

CONSULATE

2010 May 27: Email from NVC - consulate received file - interview Montreal Jul 27th

2010 Jun 16: Medical @ Woking Medical Centre, Vancouver, Canada - APPROVED

2010 Jul 27: Interview @ US Consulate in Montreal, Canada - APPROVED

Your interview took 201 days from your I-130 NOA1 date

2010 Aug 13:POE Washington - APPROVED

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

2012 May 14 - mailed I-751

2012 May 16 - delivered @ CSC

2012 Jun 18 - I 551 stamp

2012 Jun 28 - biometrics appointment NOA notice date Jun 7

2012 Dec 20 - approved

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

I always find it interesting when people form conclusions based on a few words written in a post when they know nothing of the person or how they conduct their life. It's very narrow-minded. Not to mention unjust.

Then I got married and moved to the USA......NO MORE VOTING FOR ME from 2006-2009...

I got a notice from Elections Canada last year to update me on the list....

I wanted to vote in Canada...

Since I am a citizen of Canada...BUT...I am not a resident of Canada..

THEREFORE I CANNOT VOTE in 2009

Under certain circumstances, Canadians who live outside the country are eligible to vote: Elections Canada

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Missed this exciting thread yesterday :)

One reason I don't mind becoming an American citizen is that I don't have to give up my Cdn citizenship. I'm not sure I would bother if it meant giving up being Cdn. Convenience is a big thing for me - do I want to be treated like a 2nd class immigrant going every few years for MORE biometrics and photos or even feel like I'm not quite Amerian enough because I don't have citizenship here? Uh...no, so I will become American...like Ant said....I'd like to feel like I belong. I wanted to be eligible for certain benefits and be able to vote in the country that I work hard in (and will fo the next 50 yrs) and pay taxes...just makes sense to me.

I don't feel like carrying my darn GC around in my wallet fo the rest of my life...worrying if my course is stolen that I'm screwed.

For those who get bent about people's reasons...why worry? It takes all kinds and if you chose not to take citizenship, that's cool too.

Now....off to my super busy stupid job :(

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
I certainly don't think that citizenship, as rhiann said "...the ultimate prize for us who went through all those red-taped steps to get here, legally.". I agree that there are certain rights and privelages that come along with citizenship, but those are a reward for undertaking citizenship. The oath asks you to give up allegiance to another national leader. It doesn't ask you to renounce your birthright, it doesn't ask you to spit on your nation of birth. The U.S. recognizes dual citizenship, and reinforced this in the case Kawakita vs. U.S.. The majortiy opinion stated : "a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other," (1952).

All I'm saying is that if you want to take citizenship, is it really too much to ask that you take an active role in your new country? Make some effort to be a citizen? I think it's completely disingenuous to take the oath with no intent to try to become a part of the general citizenry.

Ok, I really have no idea where you're going with this. You originally said you wouldn't take up citizenship because of the meaning behind the oath you would be forced to say, fair enough. But now you're suggesting that there is nothing wrong with the oath because there is no practical meaning behind it? And who said anyone wasn't going to be taking an active role in the country? Actually from everyone's posts I've got the feeling that most want to become a citizen so they can take an active role in the American democracy. Making an effort to become a citizen... it takes 3 years of paperwork and struggling with USCIS to get to that point, its not like we show up and have it granted automatically. I know many natural born Americans who don't appreciate their citizenship as much as someone who had to actually work for it!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Ok, I really have no idea where you're going with this. You originally said you wouldn't take up citizenship because of the meaning behind the oath you would be forced to say, fair enough. But now you're suggesting that there is nothing wrong with the oath because there is no practical meaning behind it? And who said anyone wasn't going to be taking an active role in the country? Actually from everyone's posts I've got the feeling that most want to become a citizen so they can take an active role in the American democracy. Making an effort to become a citizen... it takes 3 years of paperwork and struggling with USCIS to get to that point, its not like we show up and have it granted automatically. I know many natural born Americans who don't appreciate their citizenship as much as someone who had to actually work for it!

Just voting is taking an active roll. In fact I know so many real true blood Americans that don't even do that or anything else.

I'm a proud American (and yes if I had to chose one or the other, I'd chose American over Canadian anyday for citizenship if it was one or the other), but really, I vote in the Federal Election and that's all I do. I don't vote locally usually for anything, I haven't joined the military to defend the US, I really don't do anything else to be in an active roll. I don't always support what the goverment does (like invading Iraq rather then Afghanistan) and really hated a lot of how Bush handled office when he was in. I didn't even support the president at the time when I became a citizen.

So guess I'm not clear what an active roll is either. I'm just like a lot of other citizens who live our life, do our thing and are proud to say we're Americans and that's about it...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

As soon as I become a citizen I plan on raising an American flag in my front yard, buying myself a ford truck and having someone airbrush a giant bald eagle on the back, I'll also start saying things like "ya'll" and "huh" and really take an active and serious roll in my citizenship.

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Just voting is taking an active roll. In fact I know so many real true blood Americans that don't even do that or anything else.

I'm a proud American (and yes if I had to chose one or the other, I'd chose American over Canadian anyday for citizenship if it was one or the other), but really, I vote in the Federal Election and that's all I do. I don't vote locally usually for anything, I haven't joined the military to defend the US, I really don't do anything else to be in an active roll. I don't always support what the goverment does (like invading Iraq rather then Afghanistan) and really hated a lot of how Bush handled office when he was in. I didn't even support the president at the time when I became a citizen.

So guess I'm not clear what an active roll is either. I'm just like a lot of other citizens who live our life, do our thing and are proud to say we're Americans and that's about it...

As sad as that is, it's entirely true. I know of too many 'true' citizens who don't take that birthright to heart and vote. I find it incredibly bothersome. I was always proud of my right to vote in Canada, and I will be proud to do so when able here.

I would find it hard to live in a democratic country and not let my voice be heard.

For me, at least, in my mind it's always been expected that I will pursue that last step in this very long process. My moving here was a decision to immerse myself in a life here... that includes all aspects. Will I mean every word about denouncing my Canadian citizenship? Absolutely not. I love Canada, it was my home for many years, and while I don't believe I will ever return, it's still a place that is home. If I could still vote in the local/prov/federal elections, I would.

But I don't think any of that means I would take my oath to the U.S. any more lightly. I don't really see how you can really determine what would be considered an active role in the community/country without finding that many Americans would not even fit easily in there.

I think what Krikit said earlier in the thread bears a lot of weight: Americans and Canadians have very different views about others coming into the country and how they are to conduct their lives from then on.

01/08/2010 - Applied for SSN in maiden name.

01/09/2010 - Married! Officially a Missis.

01/19/2010 - Received SSN in mail.

02/10/2010 - Sent I-485/I-131/I-765 to Chicago.

02/19/2010 - NOA dates for all applications.

02/22/2010 - Received NOAs in mail.

02/23/2010 - Applied for SSN for married name.

03/04/2010 - Applied for Florida DL in married name.

03/09/2010 - Biometrics appointment.

04/18/2010 - AP received.

04/23/2010 - EAD approved.

04/27/2010 - AOS Interview at Orlando USCIS (decision pending).

04/28/2010 - Card production ordered!

05/03/2010 - EAD received.

05/03/2010 - Welcome letter received.

05/28/2010 - Green Card received in mail.

01/26/2012 - Mailed RoC packet to VSC.

01/30/2012 - NOA date on application.

02/01/2012 - Cheque cashed.

02/05/2012 - Received NOA in mail.

02/10/2012 - Touch.

02/24/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice dated.

02/27/2012 - ASC Appointment Notice received.

03/23/2012 - Biometrics appointment.

09/20/2012 - Touch. Card Production ordered!

09/21/2012 - Touch.

09/24/2012 - Touch. Card mailed.

Under certain circumstances, Canadians who live outside the country are eligible to vote: Elections Canada

You are correct. I voted in the last election. I think the only way you can't is if you aren't going to move back to Canada within the next five years. They cannot prove that you aren't going to move back so basically, you can vote.

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

FFS, it seems it's take everything I said out of context week? All I meant was that if you take citizenship purely for the ease, and have no intention of actually being a citizen, then you should remain an LPR. Nothing wrong with being a dual citizen, I applaude the effort. But don't think that citizenship is some sort of prize for putting up with immigration for a certain period of time. I'm sorry that I disagree with some people's rationale for taking citizenship. But hey, i'm just some stupid uncouth american, ####### do I know?

Filed: Timeline
FFS, it seems it's take everything I said out of context week? All I meant was that if you take citizenship purely for the ease, and have no intention of actually being a citizen, then you should remain an LPR. Nothing wrong with being a dual citizen, I applaude the effort. But don't think that citizenship is some sort of prize for putting up with immigration for a certain period of time. I'm sorry that I disagree with some people's rationale for taking citizenship. But hey, i'm just some stupid uncouth american, ####### do I know?

I don't think it's the fact that you disagree with some people's rationale. It's that you made the leap, based on a few words, that their intent was something other than what was in their hearts and minds.

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I don't think it's the fact that you disagree with some people's rationale. It's that you made the leap, based on a few words, that their intent was something other than what was in their hearts and minds.

Krikit, when I hear people say things like denying that they even took the citizenship when they are back home, or that they are taking the citizenship, but will never consider themselves really an american citizen, it is a little bit of an insult. I now realize that some of the examples and ideas i've mentioned are beyond the scope of this thread alone, that this is more of an aggregate sentiment that i've got from this forum over my time here. I don't mean to insult anyone, but I do feel this general feeling of disdain from most people in this forum for all things american. I understand that this is a canadian sub-forum, I guess the subtle condescending attitude I perceive here gets to me sometimes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.