The_Dude

Off Topic Part Quatre

3,936 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

so something has been irking me... maybe this should go in the vent thread :P

so the other day when I called the surgeon's office to find out about my surgery the lady there did a quick check and told me it was still scheduled .. well, yesterday I still wasn't sure so I called my regular doctor and the lady there said that the doctor had talked to the surgeon and he said the surgery was a no go.. this convo between doctors happened before I had called the surgeon's office... anywho, the lady at my doc's office said she would call the surgeon to double check... she calls me back and tells me that the lady had said that she had told me the surgery was canceled :blink: she most certainly did not... I have no idea why she would lie about that :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most women don't know jack about craftsmanship and that's has nothing to do with their appeal. They're carrying around an ugly bag because its a status symbol. I am going to create bags that look like dog poo - beautifully skillfully crafted dog poo, I'm going to sell them for thousands of dollars... I bet they'd buy that too.

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Most women don't know jack about craftsmanship and that's has nothing to do with their appeal. They're carrying around an ugly bag because its a status symbol. I am going to create bags that look like dog poo - beautifully skillfully crafted dog poo, I'm going to sell them for thousands of dollars... I bet they'd buy that too.

Yeah, there's probably a lot of people like that I'm sure. I'm not discounting that for many people it's a status symbol, there will always be posers, especially in fashion.

Removing Conditions

Sent package to VSC - 8/12/11

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

Yeah, there's probably a lot of people like that I'm sure. I'm not discounting that for many people it's a status symbol, there will always be posers, especially in fashion.

I always discount the "craftmanship" argument because the last time I was in Milan, you can go to a custom leatherworker and get a much higher quality and better crafted bag made for far less. But then again, I buy Lucky brand jeans, so I should just STFU. :rofl:

Timeline

I see the appeal in the LV bags. I don't own one, but I plan to in the future. I wouldn't get the brown logo print though, I plan to get a white/beige Daimier checkered print or the black epi leather. I think part of the appeal comes from the history and the craftsmanship of the designer. I mean the quality of a designer bag is definitely greater than a $30 bag. I am interested and appreciate the fashion design industry. I mean I would never ever spend money on concert tickets, it's just not my thing, but I would totally buy an LV bag and wouldn't think twice about it. Everyone has different priorities so whatever floats their boat, ya know?

I see your point...we all would spend money on certain things and not others. I don't have the cash to spend on something quite that expensive, but even going from a fake to a real leather handbag is a quality move or from drugstore makeup to department store make-up...there's a quality difference, and that's not to say that the lower cost one doesn't work.

Anyhoo - I would spend money on antique books or higher priced computer hardware, my real guilty pleasure is expensive hair products from the salon...they just work better for me :)

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

I always discount the "craftmanship" argument because the last time I was in Milan, you can go to a custom leatherworker and get a much higher quality and better crafted bag made for far less. But then again, I buy Lucky brand jeans, so I should just STFU. :rofl:

Well, it's not 100% craftsmanship... it's definitely part of it. LV bags never go down in value. You can sell an LV bag you bought 20 years ago and maybe even make a profit. You pay for the name, the design, the craftmanship, the materials, etc.

I've also owned a knock-off LV and Coach and they both literally fell apart at the seams after only like 6 months of normal wear.

I stand firm on "you get what you pay for"

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

I see your point...we all would spend money on certain things and not others. I don't have the cash to spend on something quite that expensive, but even going from a fake to a real leather handbag is a quality move or from drugstore makeup to department store make-up...there's a quality difference, and that's not to say that the lower cost one doesn't work.

Anyhoo - I would spend money on antique books or higher priced computer hardware, my real guilty pleasure is expensive hair products from the salon...they just work better for me :)

I agree, you don't always needs need to pay a lot to get a good product or service. We buy no name groceries and I love cheap Maybelline mascara... it's not a perfect science that's for sure. I'm jsut saying I can see why LV bags are the price that they are and many other luxury items.

Another example, we just bought a brand new Nissan. I've always grown up driving Hyundai and WOW there is a definitely difference in quality. Everything just feels better quality inside and it drives different too.

I dunno maybe it's all in my head, I guesss I'll nevr know.

Removing Conditions

NOA1 - 8/16/11

Biometrics - 9/14/11

Timeline

My husband is that way. Only shops at Williams Sonoma if we need something for the kitchen. Looking for new furniture and he's going to the Pottery Barn. I have been proven wrong with certain items falling apart. But an LV bag is not like a toaster or a kitchen utensil.

It's a status symbol for so many people and I think that's what really turns me off about that whole scene. Look at me and what I can afford... I dunno... I don't get that way of life. My MIL and her mother come from that kind of stuff, so I just watch in fascination and sometimes a little confusion.

I like salon brand hair products too, but I don't wear it on my sleeve. No one knows how much I pay for a hair cut, no one needs to.

Donne moi une poptart!

Timeline

On the subject of quality...I need a real Starfrit can opener...can't get them down here and mine got broken somehow (strange child mystery...)

I liked how it held onto the lid and i could just drop it into recycling...have not found an identical one here :(

Also - there was a certain point in my life where I couldn't afford to buy anything expensive when I was a young mom, I was happy with what I could buy, but I've always wanted to buy something if it's quality is better....forget labels ( but sometimes I can be labelly too :) )

Edited by Udella&Wiz

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline

My son is labelly. I feel like I am probably enabling the labelness too by just buying it for him. He likes certain clothes, ONLY wears Nikes, ONLY gets his hair done at a certain salon now. He's aware of brands and clothes and loves to shop. I figured having a boy would allow me to skip that stuff... nope. So I sort of get it... it's not for me but I sort of get it.

I was the opposite but when I was a teenager, jeans, docs and flannel were in. My mum loved it because it was pretty cheap.

ETA: Though he is aware, he looked inside his "sneaks" and saw that they were made in Vietnam and said: "Aww a little kid younger than me probably made this!" and I said: "Yea... so maybe you shouldn't wear them?" and he looked at me like I had four heads. Aware yes... willing to make some change? Not so much. :P

Edited by Sprailenes

Donne moi une poptart!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

so I have an appointment today to see the doctor.. I guess they got my CT scan results back :unsure:

good luck marilyn - i'm sure this whole week has been really stressful for you.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

good luck marilyn - i'm sure this whole week has been really stressful for you.

yeah... I was feeling somewhat ok until the phone rang before and I knew it was the doctor calling... now I am feeling incredibly nervous and scared...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

I'm with you. I'd spend my money on antiques, antique books, software and computers and even the high end hair products. Oh and perfume. I love me some expensive perfume.

:D

USCIS

NOA #2: Approval June 25th, 2009 - 92 days

NVC

July 8, 2009 to August 10, 2009 - 28 days

Interview Assigned - December 3, 2009 - FINALLY!!

Medical - December 14, 2009 - Passed

Embassy/Interview - January 26, 2010 Montreal, Quebec Canada - 167 days PASSED!!!

Port of Entry - February 26, 2010 Baltimore International, Maryland

USCIS -- ROC package sent off

November 26, 2011 to Vermont station November 30, 2011 received NOA1December 16, 2011 received biometrics appointment.

January 04, 2012 Biometrics

September 2, 2012, RFE Received.

September 22, 2012 RFE responded to

October 15, 2012 ROC approved, 10 Green card on its way.

kermit_the_frog1237963302.jpg

"Here's some simple advice: Always be yourself. Never take yourself too seriously.

And beware of advice from experts, pigs, and members of Parliament."

Kermit the Frog

Visit my News Feed Page -- Good Reads for Everyone!

Timeline

yeah... I was feeling somewhat ok until the phone rang before and I knew it was the doctor calling... now I am feeling incredibly nervous and scared...

Try not to be, you have read here many times of people who have gone for their medical and had to have something checked out which turned out to be either nothing or something that could be taken care of easily. So keep positive thoughts.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.