The_Dude

Off Topic Part Quatre

3,936 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hmm, I was at Micheals earlier. The one closest to us doesn't seem to have too many books.

I'll have to take a look again later. I need something to keep me busy that doesnt' cost very much money!

I think even Walmart could have some books on knitting, crocheting etc.

It's probably a small selection, but depending on what else is around, it might be a place to check out.

I took on crocheting last year too. It's fun.

I made a blanket for my friend's baby. It's an easy first project.

AoS Process

AoS/EAD/AP file sent: 2011-02-16

Received: 2011-02-17

NOA: 2011-02-22

Touched: 2011-02-24

Hard copy NOAs received : 2011-02-28

Biometrics letter received: 2011-02-28

Biometrics appt: 2011-03-17

EAD & AP approved: 2011-04-28

AOS appt: 2011-05-12 (notice sent April 6) APPROVED :)

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you looked at the Nifty Knitter Looms (also known as circle looms)? Michael carries them and Walmart carries them. I have a whole series now, although you don't need a lot - you can get by with just one loom size if you are only interested in doing hats and scarves. They are SO EASY and really quick. The perfect 'toy' for idle hands, hehehe. I brought two of mine with me when we went to Houston last year and both my grandkids were fascinated and tried their hand at them. They loved it so I bought them a set of the looms for Christmas.

Here is information about them at Amazon - you can buy sets or you can buy individual looms. You just use regular wool - find what is on sale and use that to practice. You can actually make just about anything you can do knitting with them but the skill level doesn't need to be as high :-).

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywo...sl_81lskhx3zv_b

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Sounds interesting, Kathryn.

I'll look into it.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I am feeling a little :wacko:

I have been thinking about getting a second part time job for awhile now.. I have been kind of waiting to see if the hubster gets day shift though to know what days I could work etc...

but the more I think about it the more complicated it seems... my schedule is pretty set with my current job for the next few months, right now I work Tuesdays and Thursdays but in the summer it is going to change to Mondays and Wednesdays and in the fall the older kid will be going to kindergarten full time and they say my schedule is going to change again but they are not sure what it is going to be yet...

it would be really hard to fit a second job in with a schedule like that unless I found someone who is really flexible with the times they would need me :unsure:

the other option is to quit my job and find a full-time job.. but I really love the kids and their parents are super nice and I would feel like I am betraying them if I quit... :unsure:

I guess I could also wait until the fall to see what my schedule is going to be like...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

so last night I was thinking of what to do for our anniversary and it came to me that we could drive up to Malibu and eat at this awesome Chinese food restaurant we found there last summer and then on the way home we could stop in Santa Monica or something for drinks and dessert... but then I checked the weather for this weekend and it says there is a 50% chance of rain :angry:

so maybe we will go with plan B.. go see Alice in Wonderland in 3D and then go for dinner and drinks at Red Robins

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Oh yeah, Alice in Wonderland comes out soon.

Just like every movie I see, I'll probably wait a few weeks for the crowds to die down before I see it.

~*Relationship Info In Profile And Fiance(e) Visa/Adjustment of Status/Removal Of Conditions Info In My Timeline*~

Looking for your favourite Canadian foods that you can't find in the US?

Try this site! http://www.canadianfavourites.com/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I had a second interview yesterday for the job I applied for a few weeks ago. They called late last week to see if I could interview with just the Vice-Chancellor of the community college on Monday. Of course I was surprised that they even called since that was several weeks ago that I had my first interview and thought I was no longer a candidate.

It was by far, hands down, the weirdest interview I have ever been in.

He started off asking about hockey, whether I watched the gold medal match, could I explain to him what icing is and off-side. So I obliged. He's Hawaiian, born and raised, so I politely answered the questions. He seemed genuinely interested.

Then he asks me how I find working in government, whether its too slow for my tastes. . . . . Okay, that was a strange question, but I answered honestly.

Then he asked things I find different living in Hawaii and what I had to adjust to. Okay, nothing to do with work but okay, I'll oblige.

He asked me about Paauhau where I live and if we live in an old plantation style home. I answer, no we live in a newer home. . . . okay this is getting weird. . . . .

Then he asked whether it was difficult being a "minority" in Hawaii. Um, not really I said. I explained that I've always manage to fit in no matter where I was. He says he finds that strange since most people have a hard time here dealing with locals. I explained again, there are always people who will make you feel welcome and unwelcome, its just how you deal with it.

So then, as if that wasn't obvious enough, he asked about work and whether I was a minority there. He said that he presumed since it was a State office that probably everyone was Japanese or Hawaiian. I answered that yes I guess I was a minority, but everyone is really obliging if there are cultural or linguistic differences that I don't get and make every attempt to make me feel included. Which is true, my office makes every attempt to make me feel included, and take time to explain anything in pidgin that I don't get or in Hawaiian or Japanese.

Then he said, well you're by far the most qualified and I'm really interested in having you (we talk about start date, salary, transferring of civil service credits). . . . . . BUT, I have two clerks in my office that are also in the running who would like this step up. If you get the position, there may be some troubles in that respect since you're coming from the outside. How would you handle a difficult coworker who has decided that they don't like you?

I answer honestly saying that I'd be straight up with them, ask if there was something I had done to offend them inadvertently, apologize and move on. If it couldn't be rectified than its a matter of professionalism, I'd act professionally, but there is no need to be friends with everyone.

He ends with well you've given me lots to think about, you should hear something in the next week or two.

I mean seriously. This is a state college position for an HR job. God I love Hawaii some times. :lol::blink:

Wow, that IS weird, MrsCat! Well...I hope you get it regardless!

Married: 07-03-09

I-130 filed: 08-11-09

NOA1: 09-04-09

NOA2: 10-01-09

NVC received: 10-14-09

Opted In to Electronic Processing: 10-19-09

Case complete @ NVC: 11-13-09

Interview assigned: 01-22-10 (70 days between case complete and interview assignment)

Medical in Vancouver: 01-28-10

Interview @ Montreal: 03-05-10 -- APPROVED!

POE @ Blaine (Pacific Highway): 03-10-10

3000 mile drive from Vancouver to DC: 03-10-10 to 3-12-10

Green card received: 04-02-10

SSN received: 04-07-10

------------------------------------------

Mailed I-751: 12-27-11

Arrived at USCIS: 12-29-11

I-751 NOA1: 12-30-11 Check cashed: 01-04-12

Biometrics: 02-24-12

10-year GC finally approved: 12-20-12

Received 10-year GC: 01-10-13

------------------------------------------

Better to be very overprepared than even slightly underprepared!

Timeline
Wow, that IS weird, MrsCat! Well...I hope you get it regardless!

Thanks Wyatt! :star:

Actually, I am thinking of turning it down for several reasons if they offer it to me. In light of today's developments at work, I may write a letter today withdrawing my application.

My supervisor told me today that they could transfer me to Hilo from Kona at my same level position, which is what I asked for 2 months ago. And while away on vacation, she got me the raise that I had asked for.

I had applied for the job in Hilo because I was sick of the commute to Kona and Chris and I never get to see each other. This way we can commute 4 days a week, hang out after work and just plain have a life during the week, rather than seeing each other from 7pm-9pm.

Timeline
Thanks Wyatt! :star:

Actually, I am thinking of turning it down for several reasons if they offer it to me. In light of today's developments at work, I may write a letter today withdrawing my application.

My supervisor told me today that they could transfer me to Hilo from Kona at my same level position, which is what I asked for 2 months ago. And while away on vacation, she got me the raise that I had asked for.

I had applied for the job in Hilo because I was sick of the commute to Kona and Chris and I never get to see each other. This way we can commute 4 days a week, hang out after work and just plain have a life during the week, rather than seeing each other from 7pm-9pm.

yeah that sounds much nicer.. :thumbs:

and I kind of know how you feel.. during the week I see my hubby between 12am and 2 or 3am or whenever I fall asleep :P

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
yeah that sounds much nicer.. :thumbs:

and I kind of know how you feel.. during the week I see my hubby between 12am and 2 or 3am or whenever I fall asleep :P

Ugh, yeah that's no fun at all. :(

As for your post about another job, Marilyn you could put your application in with a temp agency, let them know the work you're looking for and the days, and I am sure they can find you something that fits. It would be on-call sometimes, but a little extra work is always nice, especially with two car payments. :thumbs:

Timeline
Ugh, yeah that's no fun at all. :(

As for your post about another job, Marilyn you could put your application in with a temp agency, let them know the work you're looking for and the days, and I am sure they can find you something that fits. It would be on-call sometimes, but a little extra work is always nice, especially with two car payments. :thumbs:

yeah that might be an idea.. thanks...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Good morning everyone. Wow, MrsCat, that was some interviewing questions! I rather liked them. The hockey questions I'm sure were just to break the ice, but the other ones, especially the last one about how you would handle staff conflicts I think was a good one. Sounds like he was upfront with you, as you seem to be with him. If you're going to get from your other job what you wanted though, it may be a good reason now to stay.

Marilyn, MrsCat's suggestion of a temp agency is a wonderful idea. You could put down exactly the days you're available. That can change as your situation changes in your work. Another option would be to work in retail, part-time, and again, tell them you're only available certain days. Then you're being upfront with them as well. If you get called fine, maybe giving your number to staff that they can change shifts with you, if they know when you're available will be an option.

No, we didn't get to the Old Town Mexican cafe you recommended. I really am sorry though we didn't. It's easy to say you're going to try and get to something, but when we were in Old Town, it was early morning, and we ended up staying until about 11 a.m. , however we had a big breakfast at the hotel, and we just couldn't eat anything more! We left San Diego the next day, so there was no opportunity to eat there. We did enjoy some excellent (by our standards) Mexican food though while there!

Enjoy your day everyone!

Cup20of20Coffee.jpg

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline

Love San diego, there a zillion times with the navy! Was like our second home,lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Nice coffee there Carla!

Good morning all. Well we kind of took a day off from most house stuff yesterday, however it's back to working on it today. There are a few things that need to be taken care of now, a couple of dripping taps, that kind of thing.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.