shikarnov

Getting Worried

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi All,

My wife is going to Russia for the holidays on an approved Advance Parole. I can't go with her because of financial considerations and because I can't take time from work.

I'm starting to freak out a little bit since she entered the US with a K1 visa in May of 2008, and although we married within the required 90 days, AOS has been a long, expensive, arduous, and ongoing process. Her AP was approved only this September, in fact. But she doesn't want to wait for her Green Card to go back to see her family (which could be another few months). In other words, her K1 visa expired long ago, along with her I-94.

I'm sending her with the Advance Parole document (and a receipt for a Change of Address filing since we moved several weeks ago), the latest NOA from her I-485 petition, her Social Security Card, her Employment Authorization Card, a copy of our marriage certificate, and a few photos.

At this point, she's going come Hell or high water, but I'm still concerned. Is there anything else I should think about sending her with? A personal letter? More of the AOS documentation? A better excuse for travel to tell the border guard than "I miss my family"?

Anybody have any advice, experience, or reassurance?

Thanks,

Z

Timeline

Internet research is freaking me out even more. Due to a number of reasons, we didn't file for AOS until longer than 180 days after the I94 expired. And from what I can tell, that will be enough to ban her for 3 years at the border... Or not. Everything (infuriatingly) depending on the border guard's whim.

This is all so confusing. Is it an overstay if married within 90 days? Some say yes, some say no. Is there going to be problems at the border? Some say yes, some say no. Is my wife going to end up handcuffed and treated like vermin until the next flight to Russia? Will anybody contact me if there's a problem? No answers anywhere.

And why is it that time in between marriage and filing will be forgiven with AOS but not an approved Advance Parole - which should not be granted at all if there's a problem. Why is there no clear set of rules to follow?

And what if we decide to abandon this AOS procedure and begin a fresh K3 visa proceeding. Will she still have problems entering the country even with a new visa (assuming it gets approved)?

/sigh. I hate bureaucracy.

Filed: Other Timeline
But she doesn't want to wait for her Green Card to go back to see her family (which could be another few months). In other words, her K1 visa expired long ago, along with her I-94.

I'm sending her with the Advance Parole document (and a receipt for a Change of Address filing since we moved several weeks ago),

I quote from the bible:

"Those who have allowed a lapse in their status, or have not maintained a status for more than 180 days, should not travel on the advance parole documents, even if covered under 245(i), as the act of departing the US would create the bar to adjustment even if the USCIS issued the travel document in error to the applicant.

You decide whether or not that applies to your wife's case.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

If she is determined to go there is nothing you can do to stop her. At worse she will be denied reentry and you will have to file for a new visa for her to come. Keep your fingers crossed and pray to the powers above.

Or rub your lucky Bob doll if you have one. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Visit http://www.cbp.gov and find the port of entry through which your wife would return to the U.S. Make a phone call, and talk with a CBP officer. If he/she says that your wife "should" or "will" be OK, get a name and ID number. Give the information plus the date & time of your call to your wife before she travels.

After you call, please let us know what CBP says.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

I had a last minute consultation with an immigration attorney, and he was very adamant that my wife must not travel, and that there's no recourse for the lapse except getting the Green Card. So, in spite of her own adamant ideas, she's opted to stay in the US until AOS is complete.

Luckily, Delta is letting us use the money spent toward another ticket in a few months.

Thanks for your help.

Z

The lawyer is wrong! LOTS of people travel using the AP even not having filed for AOS longer than you.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Timeline

You have a smart lawyer. I, too, believe the chance that a 3-year bar would be triggered is too high to and not worth the risk, and I'm saying that after having read up on this the past 3 days, purely by coincidence.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline
Your lawyer is wrong. She can travel with the AP without the green card, it's done for that.
(Do you have a license to practice law?) I'd believe the lawyer, and confirm the dangers of traveling (or lack thereof) by calling CBP. Regardless, the OP has let discretion be the better part of valor, so his issue is settled.

Doesn't it state on the AP form itself that readmission to the U.S. is not guaranteed simply by presentation of the form?

Edited by TBoneTX

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

I'd never trust a lawyer's advice in response to only a phone call. Things too often get garbled on the fly. But anyway the matter is resolved.

Even though you've decided what to do, I'll point out that your lawyer was exactly correct, assuming she had that much out of status time.

USCIS Link

The issue is the 180 days of unlawful presence time. That much out of status time triggers a 212 a 9B bar. The AP doesn't help against that grounds of inadmissibility (and they will issue the AP without verifying whether or not you're inadmissible under 9B). From the link above:

Note:

Under the Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, aliens who depart the United States after being unlawfully present in the United States for certain periods can be barred from admission to lawful permanent resident status, even if they have obtained Advance Parole. Aliens who have been unlawfully present in the United States for more than 180 days, but less than one year, are inadmissible for three years; those who have been unlawfully present for one year or more are inadmissible for 10 years. Aliens who are unlawfully present, then depart the United States and subsequently reenter under a grant of parole, may still be ineligible to adjust their status.

If she traveled with AP, she'd be denied re-entry at the border, and you'd have to start over and apply for a new visa, and then the visa would be denied and you'd have to apply for a waiver of the 9B bar. See the waivers forum for details and a sample of the tribulations you'd be subject to.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Timeline
If she traveled with AP, she'd be denied re-entry at the border, and you'd have to start over and apply for a new visa, and then the visa would be denied and you'd have to apply for a waiver of the 9B bar. See the waivers forum for details and a sample of the tribulations you'd be subject to.
Si, man. Thanks for blowing away all of the perilously incorrect assurances from incautious posters above.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.