tennisal

Should I apply for US Citizenship now?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I see that I-751's are still being sent to

"If you live in Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, file with the California Service Center at:

USCIS California Service Center

P.O. Box 10751

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1075

If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, and West Virginia, file with the Vermont Service Center at:

USCIS Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

P.O. Box 200

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001"

We had to send ours to Nebraska where it got lost being sent to California, so I know exactly how you feel. And if the USICS loses your application, it's your fault, not theirs. Now that you explained your denial, I would go ahead and apply for USC. When we applied for the N-400, made two identical stacks of the forms and all the evidence. This is not easy to do months later, just in case they lost the first copy. Ombudsman is worthless, don't even waste your time with them. Can either be your senator or congressman. I know both of mine very well, but my congressman, Dave Obey was way too busy trying to get re-elected. That job is only good for two years. Last year, a close friend had Obamba, he was no where to be found to help her as they lost her application as well. Also a complete waste of time to contact that USCIS 800 number. I know exactly your frustration that caused us to apply for USC the earliest day as possible. Fortunately, that went through without lossage. Then your relationship with the USCIS is over.

It's best to call your senator's or congressman's office, they will have to send you an authorization before they can proceed in your favor. If you live close enough, drive over to their offices. They will really act fast if you donated what you paid for that I-290 for their campaign fund. Telling you the way it is.

Filed: Other Timeline
I see that I-751's are still being sent to

"If you live in Alaska, American Samoa, Arizona, California, Colorado, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming, file with the California Service Center at:

USCIS California Service Center

P.O. Box 10751

Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1075

If you live in Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Washington, D.C., Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, U.S. Virgin Islands, and West Virginia, file with the Vermont Service Center at:

USCIS Vermont Service Center

75 Lower Welden Street

P.O. Box 200

St. Albans, VT 05479-0001"

We had to send ours to Nebraska where it got lost being sent to California, so I know exactly how you feel. And if the USICS loses your application, it's your fault, not theirs. Now that you explained your denial, I would go ahead and apply for USC. When we applied for the N-400, made two identical stacks of the forms and all the evidence. This is not easy to do months later, just in case they lost the first copy. Ombudsman is worthless, don't even waste your time with them. Can either be your senator or congressman. I know both of mine very well, but my congressman, Dave Obey was way too busy trying to get re-elected. That job is only good for two years. Last year, a close friend had Obamba, he was no where to be found to help her as they lost her application as well. Also a complete waste of time to contact that USCIS 800 number. I know exactly your frustration that caused us to apply for USC the earliest day as possible. Fortunately, that went through without lossage. Then your relationship with the USCIS is over.

It's best to call your senator's or congressman's office, they will have to send you an authorization before they can proceed in your favor. If you live close enough, drive over to their offices. They will really act fast if you donated what you paid for that I-290 for their campaign fund. Telling you the way it is.

I totally agree with NickD here....

The files get tossed around and somehow ends up lost...Mine went from Vermont to California,and eventually ended up back in Buffalo, NY...

Lol..My immigration paperwork has had more "frequent traveller miles" than I have! It's a wonder my paperwork didn't get lost along the way either!

Calling the "mis-information line" (1-800 number) is useless at this point too....

Contact your senator and/or congressman. Definitely worth the drive for you there, regardless (lol..it was a long-distance drive for me)! They can sure do more than the USCIS can here! And yes, go apply for US Citizenship as soon as you can. Lol..In fact, the congressman (well, their office staff) even encouraged me to apply for US Citizenship as soon as possible, while they were inquiring about my case!...Guess they needed the votes there..lol..(and they deserve such a vote after getting this sorted out with the USCIS...).

Hope it all works out well for you too, if you do decide to go this route for your case..

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

P.S. For humour's sake, here is my I-751 detailed timeline...

As you can see, it was a long and frustrating process for me too!

Hope this helps you as well....

Ant

Chapter 4 "Removed":

2008-08-18: Filed the I-751/Removal Of Conditions ($465 Form + $80 Biometrics for Ant), jointly by Ant and D. Also enclosed 111 pages of required joint evidence with the application.

2008-08-22: NOA Letter/1 year Extension Letter (received 2008-08-27).

2008-09-24: Walk-In Biometrics in Buffalo NY, a week earlier than the original scheduled appointment date, due to long-distance transportation and medical issues.

2009-01-02 (Expedite/Inquiry Round #1): Tried to expedite case, by the USCIS mis-information phone line, but was rejected by e-mail (on 2009-01-03).

2009-02-26: Ant’s Canadian passport renewal, as it was expired and needed for travel purposes and I-751 case delays in which a valid passport would be required.

2009-03-02: Case Transferred from the Vermont Service Center/VSC to the California Service Center/CSC on, with e-mail confirmations from CRIS (on 2009-03-03 and 2009-03-06). Hard-copy letter of transfer received by mail (on 2009-03-27, letter dated 2009-03-18) from VSC.

2009-04-13 (Expedite/Inquiry Round #2): Congressional Expedite/Intervention requested due to “high-risk pregnancy and case being outside of standard six months I-751 processing timeframe”.

2009-04-18: I-751 APPROVED! Approval Letter from Vermont received by mail (letter dated 2009-04-15), 8 months after the original application was filed.

2009-05-18 (Expedite/Inquiry Round #3): Called the USCIS phone line to inform that the 10yr green card wasn't received. Service inquiry requested.

2009-05-20 and 2009-05-28: Card production ordered (1st notice) e-mail from CRIS received (on 2009-05-20), 9 months after the date of the original application was filed. Card production ordered (2nd notice) hard-copy letter received by mail from California (on 2009-05-26, letter dated 2009-05-20). Card production ordered (3rd notice) e-mail from CRIS received (on 2009-05-28).

2009-05-29: USCIS online official press release about Permanent Resident Card Production Delays…for up to eight weeks, due to equipment upgrades…Decided to schedule Infopass appointment.

2009-06-03 (Expedite/Inquiry Round #4): Infopass Appointment in Buffalo NY, to “get to the bottom of the delays” and to get a Temporary I-551 Stamp. Stamp received in Ant’s new passport, valid for 1 year (2009-06-03 to 2010-06-02). Infopass officer was clueless about delays.

2009-06-03: Approval Notice e-mail confirmation from CRIS...duh, case was already approved two months ago...

2009-06-05 (Expedite/Inquiry Round #5): Congressional Expedite requested due to “unreasonable delays, errors, mistakes, inconsistencies, and inefficiency”.

2009-06-05: 13-YEARS GREEN CARD RECEIVED! from California/CSC (notice date 2009-05-30, card date 2009-05-28), 10 months after the date of the original application was filed. Card was received just when Ant and D came back to the USA from a vacation in Canada. Ant’s new Green Card is valid for 13 years (2006-11-14 to 2019-05-28)

I-751/13yr Green Card= A waste of time and money! Ant will file for US Citizenship as soon as possible! (which I did in September 2009)

CRIS Touched: 2008-08-22 (NOA), 2008-09-26 (Biometrics), 2009-03-03 (CSC Transfer), 2009-03-06 (CSC Pending), 2009-04-28 (CSC Pending, even though approved, our third anniversary), 2009-05-20 (Card production ordered), 2009-05-28 (Card production ordered), 2009-06-03 (Approval Notice Sent, even though approved and card production ordered).

Chapter 4 ROC Timeline:

Total USCIS ROC Costs: $545

(plus mailing and photocopying costs, and non-local transportation costs)

10 Months/291 Days.(Aug2008-June2009)

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Hey there Ant! Thanks for advice, you and I are on the same page it seems. I had got in touch with my local Congressman a few weeks back and filled out the congressional inquiry paperwork that they required. I actually just got back from him local office, and met with the Constituent Services Director that is working on my case, and he did make a copies of some of my documents that I brought, and said that he sees this all the time. So I felt a bit better after finally leaving.

My RFE was one of the "generic" one's, it didn't ask for anything specific. My attorney says that she sees that all the time as well, and so id the rep at the congressman's office.... They had my case for 6 months at the Vermont S.C then moved it to California as their processing times were moving faster I was told.... In the initial I-751 package I sent back a bunch of pics together, 3 years of joint tax returns, about 2 years of bank statements, evidence of the home that we own together, 2 years of joint car insurance & homeowners insurance, and several bills that we each receive at our home (most of our bills are separate, so I sent several to show that they come to the same address). In the RFE, I was told to just update some of the info, so I sent in some more bills, updated auto and homeowners insurance info, and a bunch more separate bills that come to us. I took it to my attorney, and she was able to review it prior to me sending it off, and she said that it looked good, so I didn't worry....

Now I'm really worrying, as the case has already been denied, and I have had to file the I-290B (Motion to re-open and reconsider)....

Anymore good advice or thoughts?

Thanks Ant :)

Hi Tennisal,

No problem. Glad to be able to help you here..:)

Lol..I guess "Canadian minds think alike".....definitely on the same page with you here about the frustrating I-751 process too!

That's great to hear that you got in touch with your local congressman and got the inquiry paperwork requested! You're definitely "one step ahead of the game" here. Hope you get the help that you need here, and that you will get your case approved soon with their help. Oh yeah. it certainly feels a lot better to get "people in political" like that involved!

From the looks of it, you did send enough for your original I-751 package. Why they denied such in the first place, is beyond me....

Maybe they lost something along the way, and didn't want to admit such, so they just sent you an RFE? Sounds unfair to me, if that is the case! Not your fault if they lose the paperwork. Nevertheless, it's good that you responded to the RFE, despite it being "generic", and gave them the updated info that they wanted. It looks good there....Puzzles me again too...Why they would deny your case based on your initial evidence, and on top of that, the additional evidence in response to the RFE that you replied to....Oh well..

In the meantime, keep updated about your case. Keep in contact with the congressman and with the USCIS throughout the process. And good luck in getting your I-751 case resolved soon. And yes, do apply for the N-400 when you are able to do such..asap...

Ant

Hey there Ant! Thanks for advice, you and I are on the same page it seems. I had got in touch with my local Congressman a few weeks back and filled out the congressional inquiry paperwork that they required. I actually just got back from him local office, and met with the Constituent Services Director that is working on my case, and he did make a copies of some of my documents that I brought, and said that he sees this all the time. So I felt a bit better after finally leaving.

My RFE was one of the "generic" one's, it didn't ask for anything specific. My attorney says that she sees that all the time as well, and so id the rep at the congressman's office.... They had my case for 6 months at the Vermont S.C then moved it to California as their processing times were moving faster I was told.... In the initial I-751 package I sent back a bunch of pics together, 3 years of joint tax returns, about 2 years of bank statements, evidence of the home that we own together, 2 years of joint car insurance & homeowners insurance, and several bills that we each receive at our home (most of our bills are separate, so I sent several to show that they come to the same address). In the RFE, I was told to just update some of the info, so I sent in some more bills, updated auto and homeowners insurance info, and a bunch more separate bills that come to us. I took it to my attorney, and she was able to review it prior to me sending it off, and she said that it looked good, so I didn't worry....

Now I'm really worrying, as the case has already been denied, and I have had to file the I-290B (Motion to re-open and reconsider)....

Anymore good advice or thoughts?

Thanks Ant :)

The reason the denied the case was due to "Abondonment", they said that they gave me 84 days to respond to the RFE and I didn't respond... Which I did... The only reason I can gather for requesting the RFE in the first place, according to my attorney was that they had the case for 9 months, and most likely wanted some updated information, or that some USCIS officer had to make their quota, and din't feel like doing much, so they can send out an RFE...

I'll keep you posted on what happens... And I'm going to try and apply for my citizenship this month.

Tennisal

Tennisal-Hmm...Makes sense that they would want more updated information...But for 9 months...Doesn't make too much sense there, as others (like me and other vjers...sad, really..), have waited for longer than that, and they didn't ask for any RFEs (though they could have).

Personally, I think that they "misplaced/lost" your file, along with the additional stuff that you sent with it. They then couldn't "merge" the old and new files together...So they did the lazy/simple thing..said "RFE, abandoned, denied, or whatever else". Just a theory...Don't take me literally on this....

Either way, yes, do keep posted and updated....And hopefully your I-751 will be approved soon!

And good luck with your N-400/citizenship application upcoming this month...Definitely something to look forward to while you are still waiting for your I-751 to be approved (which it will be, when you file your N-400!)....

Ant

P.S. In all that time that you have waited for your I-751 to be approved..you could have had a baby....I did...lol..9 months=baby, 10 months=10yr green card...

That goes to show how "slow and incompentent" they are....rofl...

The reason the denied the case was due to "Abondonment", they said that they gave me 84 days to respond to the RFE and I didn't respond... Which I did... The only reason I can gather for requesting the RFE in the first place, according to my attorney was that they had the case for 9 months, and most likely wanted some updated information, or that some USCIS officer had to make their quota, and din't feel like doing much, so they can send out an RFE...

I'll keep you posted on what happens... And I'm going to try and apply for my citizenship this month.

Tennisal

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Can only assume you received your "Abandonment" statement because they had your original file, but claim to have never received your RFE information. Rebecca was our girl working for Sen. Feingold's office, she was top notch in immigration matters. With our I-751, she put me on hold and called some number directly, after a few minutes, got back to me that our application was "misplaced", she told them to find it, and called back the next day to let us know, they did. We were within about four weeks of my wife's one year extension notice expiring.

The second time I called her was during that wait for the oath letter, can only speculate how the USCIS field offices work, but assume a supervisor assigns the IO's to cases, then if you pass, that supervisor must review your case and give it the final approval. Somehow, my wife's IO never returned her application to her supervisor. Would think if a supervisor did assign these cases, would expect that file back, but again was told her application was "misplaced". Unexpectedly, got an e-mail from the field office manager with an apology and to my amazement, a *.pfd attachment with her oath letter in it to be held within three days.

Can really appreciate tennisal, what you are going through. And really doubt if there is any consolation in knowing that you are the only one. But hang in there.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.