Enigma11561

Who is in control-petitioner or beneficary?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

My fiancee in Belarus is constantly calling the Warsaw embassy with questions. Most of which I can answer. And some of which almost caused us to be rescheduled because the woman answering the phone thought she was so nervous that maybe she needed more time. Unlike others here who cannot wait to get this over with, she is taking her time, crossing the T's and dotting the i"s, but to the point of being absurd.

My question here is who should be making the calls to the US Embassy. The guy who sent in the petition or his fiancee? Personally I have an issue of all her calls, when I can be of more assistance, but when she comes up with a question, off she goes.

Did your fiancee do this?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
My fiancee in Belarus is constantly calling the Warsaw embassy with questions. Most of which I can answer. And some of which almost caused us to be rescheduled because the woman answering the phone thought she was so nervous that maybe she needed more time. Unlike others here who cannot wait to get this over with, she is taking her time, crossing the T's and dotting the i"s, but to the point of being absurd.

My question here is who should be making the calls to the US Embassy. The guy who sent in the petition or his fiancee? Personally I have an issue of all her calls, when I can be of more assistance, but when she comes up with a question, off she goes.

I think this is something that needs to be discussed with your fiancee. I don't see how our individual experiences will help you, the issue lies between the two of you. Personally, I feel that a relationship requires open communication and trust...she needs to trust you for help and answers and not go behind your back. This is setting a terrible trend for your future life together. Just my opinion. :wacko:

Nov 6, 2009: "I had breakfast in Korea, lunch in Shanghai, and dinner in Chongqing...now I just need to find a squat toilet..."

K1 completion: 03-10-2010, PINK!!!(well..it's orangish)
POE: Chicago/ORD 05-21-2010
Married: 05-26-2010
AOS completion: 10-28-2010
ROC completion: 05-16-2013

Naturalized: 11-21-2014

It's not a good idea to call to much especially if the questions can be answered with your own simple research.

The people giving the answers can and will get pissed if you do so.

One click by a pissed off info operator and your file can get lost.

Happened to me when I called USCIS and got the same operator on the same day.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

If your fiance wants to be involved in the process, which I think is a good idea, and has lots of questions, why don't you have her start posting here? It sounds like she'd like support! I mean that in a good way btw....

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Either party can call the consulate. At the consulate level it is actualy the beneficiary that is applying for the visa based on an approved petition by the petitioner. Typically the visa interview is treated as the beneficiaries responsibility, which is why they send HER packet 3, not you. SHE will go to the interview, you are optional, maybe, many consulates will not even let you in.

That said, NO, my wife never did a thing, made a call or even filled out a form, I did all that and she only signed where I told her to sign. This is a personal matter. either accept it (because it sounds like you are going to have to deal with this) or tell her yourself, or call it off. My guess is she is a younger woman, not raised and educated in the Soviet system. Good luck with that

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Timeline
That said, NO, my wife never did a thing, made a call or even filled out a form, I did all that and she only signed where I told her to sign. This is a personal matter. either accept it (because it sounds like you are going to have to deal with this) or tell her yourself, or call it off. My guess is she is a younger woman, not raised and educated in the Soviet system. Good luck with that

What the heck does that mean?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline
Either party can call the consulate. At the consulate level it is actualy the beneficiary that is applying for the visa based on an approved petition by the petitioner. Typically the visa interview is treated as the beneficiaries responsibility, which is why they send HER packet 3, not you. SHE will go to the interview, you are optional, maybe, many consulates will not even let you in.

Actually she is an older woman raised in the Soviet system with a respect for authority figures. And stubborn. She does trust me on many things, but if " the embassy" says something, then that is the final word. As far as the visa is concerned, I did everything up to packet 3 ( where she filled it out, sent it to me for corrections) but now that she is more involved, I dont think this is a case of not believing in what I say to her going forward but a fear of "what if I am wrong" and wants/needs to hear it from the source as this is what she is accustomed to. Hence the phone calls. Unfortunately, she does not understand the process all that well, her questions are a bit ambiguous, and guiding her is like steering the Titanic with a one foot rudder. We will get there, but slowly. More discussions are needed. Patience is a virtue.

And thanks for the advice on calling. I have a good idea now on what direction I want to take.

I did most of the calls. It actually would cost Claudeth money to call. I think most embassies are used to calls so probably don't care who calls.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There should be no calls to the Embassy. Everything is very straightforward and you all just have to have patience.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Timeline

:blink: Excuse me??? you know this how, exactly? And even if you knew, how does your snarky answer help the OP in any way, shape or form? :angry:

Like you said, this is a personal matter, so why don't you ####### off if you have nothing positive to add. If you chose to "instruct your now wife where to sign" and she didn't get involved, that is your story.

To the OP: indeed, you can tell your fiancee to register on VJ and get her questions answered as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
:blink: Excuse me??? you know this how, exactly? And even if you knew, how does your snarky answer help the OP in any way, shape or form? :angry:

Like you said, this is a personal matter, so why don't you ####### off if you have nothing positive to add. If you chose to "instruct your now wife where to sign" and she didn't get involved, that is your story.

To the OP: indeed, you can tell your fiancee to register on VJ and get her questions answered as well.

well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Len. But the OP DID ask if any of us had this problem. No I do not have this problem with my wife.

Each part of my answer is a direct response to the OPs questions.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline
well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me, Len. But the OP DID ask if any of us had this problem. No I do not have this problem with my wife.

Each part of my answer is a direct response to the OPs questions.

Bullsh1t. You qualified the OP's wife in a derogatory way. That is just not cool.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The OP asked a question and deserves to get answers to his questions, not back and forth bickering between individuals. Please stay on topic and do not derail this thread.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I agree that at this stage it is her responsibility. However, the excessive number of calls and the near re-schedule needs to be addressed with her. If she is going to take an active role, she needs to better understand the process she's entered. Maybe tell her to draw up a list of questions she has over the week, discuss them with her and then if she is still in need to clarification, she can call with a better understanding of what she's asking. And if it's bothering you so much, this is an issue that needs to be addressed for the health of your marriage. I will tell you that when it got to the embassy, my now husband made no calls and the only time I called was about the interview date since I could do it for free here.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Nobody should be calling the embassy in Warsaw unless it's an absolute emergency. The rules of the K-1 visa are elementary and explained in detail on here. If she keeps calling them on the phone it's not going to be good. Best bet is to link here to this site, and the K-1 visa journey on here. They also have a visa help office in Minsk funded by the US government and run by Belarusians so if she lives near Minsk, this is a good place to learn where to get the papers translated from Belarusian to English and then Appostilized.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.