getcr1

DCF in Japan - do I need a police report?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

I have been looking at all the threads for DCF. I am filing from Japan and I didnt read anything about police reports on the American consulate in Japan"s website about getting a police certificate? Do we need to get one from Japan if we are living here? Do we also need to get one from our home countries? (America and Canada?)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi there,

I have been looking at all the threads for DCF. I am filing from Japan and I didnt read anything about police reports on the American consulate in Japan"s website about getting a police certificate? Do we need to get one from Japan if we are living here? Do we also need to get one from our home countries? (America and Canada?)

Any help greatly appreciated!

Officially it is required from any country that you have lived in for 6 mos. or more since the age of 16. The only thing you need to get clarification on is some consulates say 6 mos some say 1 year.

YMMV

All the info you need regarding police certificates are here:

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivpolice.html

and here:

http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-ivpolicefaq.html

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Contact the embassies in Japan of every country that you need a police report for, they should be able to tell you the requirement. Police reports can often be gotten via the embassy or even in the mail. You can apply for a police cert anytime, but I'd find out first how long DCF in Japan usually takes, as some police certs are only valid 4 or months.

You won't need a police cert for the USA, as USCIS does its own background checks during the visa process.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
thanks! where does it say this about getting police reports? I have also lived in Ireland for over a year. does this mean I have to get a police report for Ireland as well? How do I go about getting a police report if I am living in Japan now?

Police Records

Available. Police records will no longer be called "Police Certificates of Character." The title of the certificate will read "Police Certificate." Under this title appears a box, which states "This certificate is issued solely for the information of the U.S.A. Consular authorities.

Residents of the Republic of Ireland may apply for a "Police Certificate" through the local Garda Station in which they reside. Derogatory information is usually listed on the back of the form. To be valid, a district stamp (usually in the lower left hand corner), identifies the issuing Garda Station, signed by the District Superintendent, or his or her deputy.

Persons residing outside of Ireland can apply for the "Police Certificate" by writing the Garda Office in the district of their former residence. The applicant should furnish her or her full name, date and place of birth, and place and period of all residences in the Republic of Ireland, including full addresses. The request should be accompanied by a birth certificate.

Police Certificates will be issued directly to the applicant from the local Garda Station, not Garda Headquarters and the Guarda Headquarters stamp will no long appear on the Police Certificate.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/reciproc...ocity_3587.html

Contact the embassies in Japan of every country that you need a police report for, they should be able to tell you the requirement. Police reports can often be gotten via the embassy or even in the mail. You can apply for a police cert anytime, but I'd find out first how long DCF in Japan usually takes, as some police certs are only valid 4 or months.

You won't need a police cert for the USA, as USCIS does its own background checks during the visa process.

For consulate purposes the police reports are valid for up to 1 year....

YMMV

At least for the Japanese police certificate you will need a I-130 petition approval letter from the US embassy in Japan if you go for the DCF route.

For certificates for other countries (Ireland and Canada), contact the embassies in Japan. They will usually provide you some information.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.