lsherrouse

divorce decrees

20 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
"Each" is refering to each individual.. not each marriage..

Huh? How do you get that...

"If either you or your fiancé(e) were married before, give copies of documents showing that each prior marriage was legally terminated.

YMMV

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Nigeriaorbust -- If your ex-husband remarried while he had not completed divorce proceedings with you and had the divorce decree, then legally, that second marriage could be declared as null and void in a court of law in most countries that don't allow polygamy. To marry again, he would need that divorce certificate to show the dissolution of his prior marriage, making him eligible for remarriage. Technically, in this case, he was still married to you. But separated and living with another woman. They might have been living together as man and "wife" in the eyes of society. But not in the eyes of the law. This is my limited understanding of marriage/divorce laws that operate in most countries. Someone, please feel to correct me if I'm wrong.

And OP, please read the form.

Most people lack basic comprehension skills these days. Plenty of people have been RFEd or given a 221g after the interview for incomplete divorce documentation. If you want to take a chance, then please feel free to go ahead.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
Nigeriaorbust -- If your ex-husband remarried while he had not completed divorce proceedings with you and had the divorce decree, then legally, that second marriage could be declared as null and void in a court of law in most countries that don't allow polygamy. To marry again, he would need that divorce certificate to show the dissolution of his prior marriage, making him eligible for remarriage. Technically, in this case, he was still married to you. But separated and living with another woman. They might have been living together as man and "wife" in the eyes of society. But not in the eyes of the law. This is my limited understanding of marriage/divorce laws that operate in most countries. Someone, please feel to correct me if I'm wrong.

And OP, please read the form.

Most people lack basic comprehension skills these days. Plenty of people have been RFEd or given a 221g after the interview for incomplete divorce documentation. If you want to take a chance, then please feel free to go ahead.

They actually had married in Vegas. Yes during those 1o years it wasn't legal. They eventually needed to show the divorce papers for something and he had to cover his tracks. So he paid a lawyer to file for a pro tunc decree which meant he got the divorce backdated to the day before he married her. She promptly left him. Rather complicated but it does show that being married doesn't mean all old marriages are dead

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

you have to send all divorce cert

happend to a friend of mine he was married 3 times before applying for k1 but only send the last divorce cert ,

he got an RFE for the other 2 divorce cert he didnt send

{retraction}

Despite the fact that the instructions are ambiguous, this is proof that the OP definitely needs all docs from all marriages.

They seem to hold the USC to stricter reporting standards, but no matter, just get the docs out & good luck.

US divorce records are easily searched so they will know you were married before even if you don't tell them.

For foreign divorce records that will vary more, but you should do full disclosure anyway as it's worse to get caught in a lie than make an honest mistake on the truth.

02/2003 - Met

08/24/09 I-129F; 09/02 NOA1; 10/14 NOA2; 11/24 interview; 11/30 K-1 VISA (92 d); 12/29 POE 12/31/09 Marriage

03/29/-04/06/10 - AOS sent/rcd; 04/13 NOA1; AOS 2 NBC

04/14 $1010 cashed; 04/19 NOA1

04/28 Biom.

06/16 EAD/AP

06/24 Infops; AP mail

06/28 EAD mail; travel 2 BKK; return 07/17

07/20/10 interview, 4d. b4 I-129F anniv. APPROVAL!*

08/02/10 GC

08/09/10 SSN

2012-05-16 Lifting Cond. - I-751 sent

2012-06-27 Biom,

2013-01-10 7 Mo, 2 Wks. & 5 days - 10 Yr. PR Card (no interview)

*2013-04-22 Apply for citizenship (if she desires at that time) 90 days prior to 3yr anniversary of P. Residence

Filed: Other Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Actually the US Divorce records search is hit and miss depending on the particular US State of marriage/divorce and even down to which county clerk office. Some states (such as California) have strict reporting requirements from all counties in their state to a single state vital records office. Hard to believe, but this central reporting of vital statistics is only required by less than half the states in the US.

How do I know this? Well, I just spent the past few months researching for myself. I was married about 25 years ago in the recordless state of Louisiana (which is only requiring New orleans Parrish to report marriages/divorces as vital statistics). I spent over $100 on background search engines used by the government such as Choicepoint and Intellius and an even used odd search engine called "Are they really single?". All search results came back that I was never married in Louisiana, but my previous marriage/divorce in Alaska was recorded because they have a central reporting requirement. I wasn't sure which parrish we filed for divorce, so I sent letters to 3 different clerk offices for the ones I lived in during those years. All responded back with no results of any records of me and any recorded marriage/divorce. I'm trying to track down a divorce/marriage record which apparently doesn't exist. So, in my case there doesn't seem to be an electronic/physical trail. The clek office where I was pretty sure I live 25 years ago mentioned a flood that destroyed records about 20 years ago. So, if there's no record???? then what? I was only married for 6 months in Louisiana but still....what next?? Just FYI: Choicepoint which is used by many sources for background investigations states that marriage/divorce records are available only for these States: Alaska, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Iowa, Illionois, Kentucky, Maine, Minnesota, Nevada (yes incl Vegas), Ohio, Texas, Utah, W.Virgina.

~Johnny~

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.