SunDrop

2010 United Kingdom Interview Thread

1,877 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Our interview is coming up quickly, and I have a question... can you take food into the Embassy? It lists backpacks and electronics, but doesn't mention food. Our 12 and 14 year old are going with us, and if we're going to be there hours I'd like to be able to take sandwiches or chips in for them to snack on.

I'm not sure of the actual rules, but when I had my interview in January, we took crisps and biscuits into the embassy with no problems. There are requirements regarding drinks - you have to drink a bit of it in front of the security personnel at the checkpoint before you will be allowed in - but that's about it, as far as I remember. I think I recall there being some sort of rule regarding not being allowed to take hot liquids into the embassy (e.g. flask of tea) but I'm not certain if this is correct. There are snack facilities inside the embassy, so you can always take advantage of those - though I don't know how over-priced they are, as we didn't use them when I was there.

Edited by FrostyMist

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thanks FrostyMist. I had heard that you could purchase food inside, but wanted to avoid that if possible. Sometimes it feels like saving a few bucks on the process isn't worth it, but I still hate to just give my money away. :)

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

September 30, 2007 - I joined a country music website that he ran

March, 2008 - Started chatting online

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

February 14, 2009 - Married in Virginia

February 28, 2009 - Passport with new name arrived

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

March 5, 2009 - Courier delivered to Embassy in LA

March 6, 2009 - VISA approved

March 7, 2009 - VISA in hand, bought airline ticket

March 8, 2009 - Arrived in U.K.

October 2009 - Decided to move family to the US

November 6, 2009 - Mailed I-130 to London

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

January 6, 2010 - Packet 3 received

January 13, 2010 - DS-2001 mailed

January 25, 2010 - Medicals completed

April 16, 2010 - Interview - It's a YES!

June 7, 2010 - Move to Virginia!

http://jennysadventuresinengland.blogspot.com

March 29, 2011 - Husband walked out on our marriage

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

December 14, 2011 - Divorce finalized

We had our interview this morning. The lady was very rude and inconsiderate, and was obviously preconceived with not approving us. Unable to find anything substantive she happily handed us the blue sheet and said the USC sponsor failed to prove intent to return to the US.

As if 8 months, RFEs, thousands of dollars, and dealing with HER wasn't enough proof that we are intending to go the US...

fwew, anyway thats off my chest, I guess I'll send them some docs and hope it works out.

Timeline

As if 8 months, RFEs, thousands of dollars, and dealing with HER wasn't enough proof that we are intending to go the US...

Eeeek... I'm so sorry to hear that, ohlpomr. I hope it's nice and quick until you get that approval.

My fiance's likely waiting for his number to be called right now... can't say you've calmed my nerves. :wacko:

Timeline

I'm so sorry! This whole proving you intend to move the US thing has confused me from the beginning. Why would ANYONE spend all the time and money to go through this process and then NOT move?! The entry clearance is only good for 6 months, so it's not like you can go ahead and get one and then decide. That's a pretty short window for uprooting your entire life.

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

October 15-27, 2008 - I came to the UK to visit, got engaged during surprise trip to Paris

March 3, 2009 - Biometrics appointment, Fed-Ex'd Spousal VISA package to courier

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

April 29, 2011 - Husband moved himself and the children to Wyoming to be with the best woman from our wedding, who he'd only met the one time, at our wedding

My fiance's likely waiting for his number to be called right now... can't say you've calmed my nerves. :wacko:

Sorry, Rito -- man I keep making people nervous on here! Just cross your fingers and i'm sure it will work out. I just got in the door and had to vent with SOMEONE so I came here. Now that I think about it I really don't think it will be that hard to prove my case so I'm less anxious.

More than anything I was just upset at how inconsiderate the consular officer was. But anywho, such is life. Good luck to your husband, let us know!

Timeline

We passed the interview! :dance: Still need to wait for the medical stuff to clear and get sent to the embassy, but other than that we should be ok.

Incidentally, the courier does NOT accept cash - only cards. This is contrary to the official information they send. My fiance had to give someone cash and have them use their card.

Congrats Rito, looking forward to your fiance's embassy review. Quickly though, what time was his scheduled interview and what time was he actually out of there by?

Timeline

We passed the interview! :dance: Still need to wait for the medical stuff to clear and get sent to the embassy, but other than that we should be ok.

Incidentally, the courier does NOT accept cash - only cards. This is contrary to the official information they send. My fiance had to give someone cash and have them use their card.

Congratulations! And thanks for the heads up about the courier.

-Jenny

Our Timeline:

November 10, 2009 - NOA1

December 24, 2009 - NOA2

Timeline

Congrats Rito, looking forward to your fiance's embassy review. Quickly though, what time was his scheduled interview and what time was he actually out of there by?

Our interview was scheduled for 9:00am, my fiance got there at 8:30am, and he was out at 11:45am. It was about a 2 hour 30 minute wait before he got to the first window.

Congrats again!!

I thought the courier could accept exact cash. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Our naturalization timeline
1/12/2015 - Application sent to Phoenix service center by USPS priority mail

1/14/2015 - Package received in Phoenix

1/16/2015 - NOA date (hard copy received 1/22)

1/20/2015 - Check cashed

2/09/2015 - Biometrics

2/11/2015 - In line for interview

3/28/2015 - Hard copy interview notice received

4/29/2015 - Interview at Chicago field office - Approved!!!

5/22/2015 - Oath ceremony - Now a US citizen!!!!!!

Thank you, VisaJourney!!!!!

"Contrary to what the cynics say, distance is not for the fearful, it is for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love... It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough..."- Anonymous

an1cHsK0g000610MTNsc3wxMDAwOTk4c2F8V2Uga

Timeline

Congrats again!!

I thought the courier could accept exact cash. Can anyone confirm/deny?

This may have been the case in the past, but now the courier company refuses to. There were several signs up that said CARD ONLY, NO CASH ACCEPTED.

Hmmmm. Other half called DOS this morning - Embassy still haven't logged my P3 (2 weeks after I sent it).

Just wanted to double check this is normal - know the wait for P4 is at least a month at the moment but given I foolishly didn't use recorded delivery I'm a little worried that it hasn't even been logged in the system!

J

Jess
Forewarned is forearmed

See my Timeline for previous USCIS applications

Lifting Conditions
2/20/2013: Filed
2/25/2013: NOA1

7/5/2013: RFE

8/23/2013: Approved

8/31/2013: GC received

Filed: Timeline

Approved for IR-1 visa. Will write up a full report for people of they'd like.

FYI - for those asking about kids, they just let us in, no questions asked.

We got there at 8 for 9:30 appt. Were out in 2.5 hours.

We did not buy any food but we did buy drinks. 2.80 for 2 waters and a fanta. Not insane really. They also had sandwiches, fruit, crsips ect and ice cream! :)

the courier desk did indeed say cards only.

I sat near to men with I numbers, but was afraid to ask if any of them were from here! :)

I am sorry for the person above that has to send in more documents. :(

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.