SunDrop

2010 United Kingdom Interview Thread

1,877 posts in this topic

On the note of medicals, it truly baffles me that there is only one PP for the whole of the UK. Completely insane to ask people to travel from NI, Scotland, Wales and Jersey (?) for something that other large countries, like Germany and Canada, offer you several dispersed options.

I wonder how and why this decision was reached, and whether there's anything that can be done to change it?

I agree you would think there would be options available for the rest of the UK :yes:

Removal of Conditions

09/03/2012 - Window opens

10/03/2012 - Mailed I-751 via USPS Priority Mail

10/05/2012 - Arrived @ VSC

09/19/2012 - NOA1 dated (actually received 11/7/12)

12/11/2012 - Biometrics taken

12/03/2012 - Conditional Green Card expires

You used the word required here... is that an actual policy? That would be different from the Packet 4 wording. Are you saying that it now takes a week for the medical to transfer to the embassy, so you could have to wait a few more days if your medical is less than a week before?

(we're Northern Ireland)

My bad. You are required to have your medical before your interview, but it is only suggested that it be at least 5 working days beforehand. If they don't have your results but you have undergone the medical, they'll still interview you but no action will be taken until your results are received.

So considering you're having to travel from NI, and you're willing to experience a delay to your visa issuance, there's nothing to technically stop you from flying in on day 1 for your medical and stay overnight for your interview on day 2 before heading home afterwards.

This was a change from the old system, whereby you went for your interview in the morning and scheduled your medical for the afternoon so that you could get it all done in one day.

Timeline Summary:

K-1/K-2 NOA1 - POE: 9 February - 9 July 2010

Married: 17 July 2010

AOS mailed - Interview : 22 November 2010 - 10 March 2011

ROC mailed - approved: 14 February - 18 June 2013

Citizenship mailed - ceremony: 9 February - 7 June 2017

VJ K-2 AOS Guide

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Hi - We are currently waiting for our interview date via DCF in London. I sent in our checklist first week of Feb, so I'm hoping to hear in the next week or two. Does this seem right? :) How long have people been waiting to hear back?

my fiance and i have been waiting since the end of january, but there are people on here that sent theirs in after ours and have already had the interview and are approved, its a sitting duck game

08-15-09 -- I-129F Sent! Here we go!!

05-20-10 -- K1 Approved!!!!!

06-29-10 -- Mike flys into the USA

09-18-10 -- Wedding!!

10-16-10 -- EAD/AOS Mailed

10-23-10 -- Biometrics appt received, 17 Nov!

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Just an update, mike and i have yet to receive an interview date, all i get when i call the dos is your packet had been received, but no date, not sure what to do or where to go from here, we can make sense out of it

08-15-09 -- I-129F Sent! Here we go!!

05-20-10 -- K1 Approved!!!!!

06-29-10 -- Mike flys into the USA

09-18-10 -- Wedding!!

10-16-10 -- EAD/AOS Mailed

10-23-10 -- Biometrics appt received, 17 Nov!

event.png

event.png

event.png

On the note of medicals, it truly baffles me that there is only one PP for the whole of the UK. Completely insane to ask people to travel from NI, Scotland, Wales and Jersey (?) for something that other large countries, like Germany and Canada, offer you several dispersed options.

I wonder how and why this decision was reached, and whether there's anything that can be done to change it?

It changed sometime back around 2006, that I know. Knightsbridge were awarded the contract for the exams, and their offices were in London. I know that posts from 2005 show that there was an office in Birmingham as well, and there may have been other sites as well but this pre-dates me. (Trompe le Monde, Lansbury -- do you know?) It is a sorry state of affairs, especially now that they require the medical to be done prior to the interview.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Quick question,

On my ds-2001 I clearly stated that the USC spouse will be attending the interview. On the packet 4 it says "please contact us if you need to bring a us citizen spouse..."

Do you think i can safely assume thats just a form letter and I don't have to contact them?

Filed: Timeline

Hi Sundrop -

I partially filled in my timeline. I am afraid it is not very precise. I can't remember when I sent in the DS203. It was in December sometime - perhaps end of November? ... but not with my DS2001. We waited several months in the middle on purpose as we didnt want the visa TOO soon. :) So we did nothing in December or January other than order my husbands police certificate and get his medical done.

I will try to dig through and see if I can find the reciept for recorded mail when I sent in the DS203. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
It changed sometime back around 2006, that I know. Knightsbridge were awarded the contract for the exams, and their offices were in London. I know that posts from 2005 show that there was an office in Birmingham as well, and there may have been other sites as well but this pre-dates me. (Trompe le Monde, Lansbury -- do you know?) It is a sorry state of affairs, especially now that they require the medical to be done prior to the interview.

When I first started to follow these things on a Usenet group, you had the medical and interview the same day, both scheduled by the Embassy. The Doctor they used then was a short walk from the Embassy. I believe he retired and then they used a service which had offices in London, Scotland and Birmingham. That arrangement didn't last long I recall quite a few complaints about the length of time it took to get appointments outside of the London office. The current Doctors have been used since at least 2006.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

They changed it in 2006 but before then there still wasn't a lot of choice and it wasn't that much better - if memory serves, there were 2 locations and one was in Edinburgh. People such as Rebeccajo's then fiance, who was based in NI, still had to come to the mainland.

And no, there is no requirement to have the medical 5 days prior. Since my husband was in the US when we got our interview date and he had to return to get it done, we scheduled ours the day before and got approved the next day - pending medical results. This delayed issuing the visa but that was the only hitch.

That was a few years ago but I know many people who need to travel to London still plan it that way.

90day.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My boy just booked his medical - a full week before his interview! I guess he wants a London holiday after all. :) Thanks for the help earlier, Sundrop, but it looks like we're in no danger of delayed results.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Do you think i can safely assume thats just a form letter and I don't have to contact them?

That letter was so form, they even forgot to sign mine! It just says:

Sincerely

Chief, Immigration Visa Branch

Mine had the same thing. I put my name on it, but I am not listed on his letter... ?

Don't worry, you won't be listed on the letter even if you put your name down. :)

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline

Ok thanks :)

I did email to try to have my son added. They have Easter break then, and the person that was going to watch him for me is away on holiday. They sort of nicely said no as it's recommended not to bring children so my husband may be going on his own. I understand the policy but feel bad - I know my husband really wanted me to be there....

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Ok thanks :)

I did email to try to have my son added. They have Easter break then, and the person that was going to watch him for me is away on holiday. They sort of nicely said no as it's recommended not to bring children so my husband may be going on his own. I understand the policy but feel bad - I know my husband really wanted me to be there....

Tell him not to worry. Other than moral support and someone to talk to there is no disadvantage to you not being there.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.