garnet80

Customs officers killed most of visit to USA

80 posts in this topic

You can enter the US with the intent to marry. Many people do so when they have destination weddings. The only time it becomes a problem is if, after you marry, you don't intend to leave but you have not gone through the visa process. In effect, you are trying to bypass the immigration process and are entering the country with illegal intent.

Based on this, if they stated that at the POE that they intend to marry, and then return for the rest of the visa process they shouldn't have a problem, correct?

I wonder how many CPB officials would actually let someone in if you tell them exactly that "i am coming to marry my fiancee and will go right back home after that". I have my doubts.

user raphael came from canada to get married and brought her own wedding invitation to the border and showed it to them. Her intent was to marry in the US and go back and file for a visa. Border agents denied her entry. That said, it is still legit to come to the US to get married.

Then why deny them at the POE? :unsure:

I suppose they felt they had intent to immigrate.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
You can enter the US with the intent to marry. Many people do so when they have destination weddings. The only time it becomes a problem is if, after you marry, you don't intend to leave but you have not gone through the visa process. In effect, you are trying to bypass the immigration process and are entering the country with illegal intent.

Based on this, if they stated that at the POE that they intend to marry, and then return for the rest of the visa process they shouldn't have a problem, correct?

I wonder how many CPB officials would actually let someone in if you tell them exactly that "i am coming to marry my fiancee and will go right back home after that". I have my doubts.

user raphael came from canada to get married and brought her own wedding invitation to the border and showed it to them. Her intent was to marry in the US and go back and file for a visa. Border agents denied her entry. That said, it is still legit to come to the US to get married.

because it is up to the POE officer if he/she wants to let people in.. and they might have doubts that someone is just going to the US to get married and then come back home... you need to have some pretty strong ties to proof otherwise but still it is totally up the POE officer that you get

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

because it is up to the POE officer if he/she wants to let people in.. and they might have doubts that someone is just going to the US to get married and then come back home... you need to have some pretty strong ties to proof otherwise but still it is totally up the POE officer that you get

Shouldn't all of this been addressed already at the interview?

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

interview? we are talking about before you get a visa...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

I think the minute you respond "to get married" to the question "what's the purpose of your trip", CPB stops listening to "but i'm coming right back home to file spousal visa" part. To them, getting married in the US is immigrant intent....even though it is not. I'm not familiar w/ Canada, but is it more difficult to get married there?

Maybe the OP can go to canada, get married, come back stateside and file the I-30.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

I think the minute you respond "to get married" to the question "what's the purpose of your trip", CPB stops listening to "but i'm coming right back home to file spousal visa" part. To them, getting married in the US is immigrant intent....even though it is not. I'm not familiar w/ Canada, but is it more difficult to get married there?

Maybe the OP can go to canada, get married, come back stateside and file the I-30.

it has been done so it isn't impossible...

Edited by Marilyn.
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

This is what happens when many join a thread and don't read it (not being critical, just pointing it out) - lots of this stuff has already been covered :lol:

To answer the questions:

Getting married in Canada really isn't an option. I can't miss work and have no paid time off.

Timeline

You don't need a visa to visit? Now I am really confused.

ETA I don't know if a Canadian would need a visa to visit. Never been down that road.

Edited by morocco4ever

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Timeline

no, Canadians do not need a visa to visit the US...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

it has been done so it isn't impossible...

perhaps, but I was postulating that it is not the norm, but rather an exception if one is allowed to enter the US after having declared at the border their intent to marry a USC fiance(e).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Canadians do not require any visa to visit the U.S. and they are not part of the visa waiver program.

Garnet, in case you missed my last post - I would absolutely suggest you make an appointment with USCIS and ask them if there is any possibility his visit can be extended.

Edited by trailmix

Timeline

no, Canadians do not need a visa to visit the US...

Okay, got it. Wasn't sure.

This is what happens when many join a thread and don't read it (not being critical, just pointing it out) - lots of this stuff has already been covered :lol:

To answer the questions:

Getting married in Canada really isn't an option. I can't miss work and have no paid time off.

I had read where the OP is trying to get her fiancee here again in February, to get married then because it will be when her divorce is finalized, well until february, there are two months to accrue more paid time off, or to arrange for some time off with one's boss. Given that it may be too risky for the Canadian fiancee to try to come down in February again...going up to Canada to do the deed may be the only option or just they can file for a K-1

Timeline

I guess what I don't get is the big rush. Okay so they can't afford to make trips often. I get that. I could only visit my husband once a year due to the expensive tickets and vacation time. But we lived through it. After all you have your entire life together. Filing for a K1 is pretty quick. And if the choices are to make a decision as serious as marriage I would want a little more time than one month to decide it. But then again to each his own.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.